snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Non-UL Chat » Fun House » How do you tell the difference between a Kiwi and an Aussie?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How do you tell the difference between a Kiwi and an Aussie?
Stoneage Dinosaur
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stoneage Dinosaur   E-mail Stoneage Dinosaur   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
For generations of globetrotting New Zealanders it has always been a question to answer through gritted teeth: "Which part of Australia are you from?"

Now, though, the non-antipodean world may finally be able to tell the difference between the Kiwi and Aussie accents - thanks to a new compendium of New Zealand slang.

Newzild Dictionary

quote:
That word 'skite' is in everyday use, meaning to boast, or a boastful person, and comes from an old British word 'blatherskite' which I don't believe you would hear any more in its homeland
I can think of at least one snopester who might disagree with this [Wink]

--------------------
"You learn something new every day if you're not careful" - Wilf Lunn

Posts: 893 | From: Durham City, England | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tarquin Farquart
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tarquin Farquart   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
There's quite a few Australians and New Zealanders living in my area. It's hard to describe it in words, but the New Zealand vowels are different.

--------------------
I shall baffle you with cabbages and rhinoceroses in the kitchen and incessant quotations from "Now We Are Six" through the mouthpiece of Lord Snooty's giant poisoned electric head. So there!

Posts: 802 | From: London, UK | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
trollface
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trollface   Author's Homepage   E-mail trollface   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I agree with that. The Kiwi accent seems...broader somehow. Well, that's my experience from watching scores of Aussie and Kiwi films, anyway.

--------------------
seriously , everyone on here , just trys to give someone crap about something they do !! , its shitting me to tears.

Posts: 16061 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
rocksong
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rocksong     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
To an Aussie, the difference is really obvious. Especially in a short "i", as in "fish and chips". It sounds like a Kiwi is saying "fush and chups". Of course, as a Kiwi once told me, it sounds to them like we say "feesh and cheeps".
Posts: 225 | From: Adelaide, Australia | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
SantasHobbit
Frosty the Salesman

Icon 607 posted      Profile for SantasHobbit     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Funny how we who live in the locale can pick whether someone is a Kiwi or an Aussie by their accent instantly, but would struggle to differentiate between say, an American or Canadian accent.

The biggest giveaway would be to get one of us to pronounce the word 'sheep'. An Australian would say it with a long 'e-e-e' in the middle whilst a New Zealander would pronounce it 'darling'

[fish]

--------------------
Angsty little hobbitssssses

Posts: 336 | From: Perth, Western Australia | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Em
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Em   E-mail Em   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
[lol]

--------------------
What the NFBSK does YOMANK mean?

Posts: 1646 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Damian

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Damian   E-mail Damian   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The number 6 can also be used as a shibbaleth. Kiwis pronounce it (to Aussie ears) as "sex". They also say "pen" when they mean "pin" and vice versa.

ETA: And they support the All-Blacks.

--------------------
"I always tell the truth. Even when I lie." - Tony Montana

Posts: 890 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Paulie Jay
O Little Down-Payment of Bethlehem

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Paulie Jay     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It's all about vowels.

As Damian says, Kiwis will say "pin" (to rhyme with tin) when they mean "pen", but not quite the same in reverse. When they want to say "pin" it will sound like the second half of the word "happen".

By the way, when they say "happen" it will sound more like "heppen".

And when they say "cool" it will sound like "cole".

We Aussies, on the other hand, tend to draw out vowel sounds. We pronounce the word "true" with a long "o" sound - "trooe", where Americans tend to shorten the vowel - "tru".

Some parts of Australia (Western Australia - I'm looking at you!) will get two syllables out of a single syllable word.

eg. Pronouce "beer"
Sydney sider - beeh
Western Australian - bee-ah
American - beerrr

ETA: Some Aussies also have this appalling habit of pronouncing the number 17 as "seven-neen".

--------------------
All the way with Paulie Jay

Posts: 476 | From: Sydney, NSW, Australia | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Drainfluid
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Drainfluid   E-mail Drainfluid   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Although we think the South African accent is unique (but not necessarily easy on the ear), I found a lot of people in the UK couldn't tell the difference between us and the Kiwi accent.

I think we are like the Kiwis, except even more so.

(and no, Seth Effricans do not all sound like Charlize Theron)

Posts: 305 | From: South Africa | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay Tea
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Tea   E-mail Jay Tea   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I found a lot of people in the UK couldn't tell the difference between us and the Kiwi accent.
I would say that in this case, and all similar, we are talking about people who have little experience listening to either accent, once the human ear (most human ears) develop a familiarity with an accent they rarely confuse it with another unless they are genuinely phonetically similar.

For instance, people who drink in London bars north of the river quickly familiarise themselves with Aussie, Kiwi and SA accents becasue if they don't, they ain't getting a drink.

"Gin and Tonic please"

"You want some arse with that?"

"How dare you!"

"No, no, arse cubes..."

--------------------
This is where I come up with something right? Something really clever...

Posts: 6552 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
wee wifey
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wee wifey   E-mail wee wifey   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Drainfluid:
Although we think the South African accent is unique

although it does seem to be very similar to the Zimbabwean accent, from my experience.

I'd be suprised if a Londoner couldn't tell the difference between, Aus, Kiwi & Safa.

--------------------
once known as little miss

"I don't Pretend to be an ordinary Housewife" Elizabeth Taylor

Posts: 2416 | From: London | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay Tea
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Tea   E-mail Jay Tea   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by wee wifey:
quote:
Originally posted by Drainfluid:
Although we think the South African accent is unique

although it does seem to be very similar to the Zimbabwean accent, from my experience.

...same with Namibia, the white population anyway.

--------------------
This is where I come up with something right? Something really clever...

Posts: 6552 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ange84

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ange84   E-mail ange84   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Some parts of Australia (Western Australia - I'm looking at you!) will get two syllables out of a single syllable word.

eg. Pronouce "beer"
Sydney sider - beeh
Western Australian - bee-ah
American - beerrr

And for those of us in Queensland it's XXXX cause we are too dumb to spell beer apparantly. Don't forget that a kiwi put their beer in a chilly bin( eskie) and wears their jandals( thongs) when drinking said beer.

--------------------
Love is a sudden revelation: a kiss is always a discovery

Posts: 902 | From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Unusual Elfin Lights
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 602 posted      Profile for Unusual Elfin Lights   Author's Homepage   E-mail Unusual Elfin Lights   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
To morph an old line about Canadians and Americans:
quote:
What's the fastest way to find out the difference between an Australian and a New Zealander?

Just tell the New Zealander there is no difference.

Posts: 2064 | From: New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Damian

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Damian   E-mail Damian   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jay Tea:
"Gin and Tonic please"

"You want some arse with that?"

"How dare you!"

"No, no, arse cubes..."

Reminds me of a comic strip I saw depicting an Aussie and a Pom being chased by a polar Bear. The Pom yells at the Aussie: "You idiot! I said Kick him in the ice hole!"

--------------------

Posts: 890 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brad from Georgia
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brad from Georgia   Author's Homepage   E-mail Brad from Georgia   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Cut them in half and count the rings?

--------------------
"No hard feelin's and HOPpy New Year!"--Walt Kelly
Hear what you're missing: ARTC podcasts! http://artcpodcast.org/

Posts: 7581 | From: Gainesville, Georgia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Zorro
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zorro     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I once asked a woman who was working at my local nursery (plants, not children [Wink] ) if she was from New Zealand. Her face lit up with joy and she said yes, most people asked her if she was from Australia. I explained that the parents of one of my students were from NZ and I had just guessed it because her accent seemed more like theirs than an Australian one. I think I made her day, though.

--------------------
"Seize the day! Make your lives extraordinary!"
-John Keating, "Dead Poets Society"

Posts: 2861 | From: New Jersey | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Richard1978
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard1978   E-mail Richard1978   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I remember meeting someone in working in a pub in north Norfolk & was unsure of their accent. It seemed to be a blend of New Zealand & Canadian, & was surprised they were from South Africa. Most South Africans I've heard have spoken with a Afrikaans influenced accent. She admitted most people assumed she was from America, Canada, Australia or New Zealand.
Posts: 372 | From: Marple, UK | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Richard1978
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard1978   E-mail Richard1978   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I remember meeting someone in working in a pub in north Norfolk & was unsure of their accent. It seemed to be a blend of New Zealand & Canadian, & was surprised they were from South Africa. Most South Africans I've heard have spoken with a Afrikaans influenced accent. She admitted most people assumed she was from America, Canada, Australia or New Zealand.
Posts: 372 | From: Marple, UK | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Penny
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Penny     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It's simple. If they talk funny, they're a Kiwi. Otherwise they're an Aussie.

I don't expect such subtle distinctions anyway; nearly everyone I meet here assumes that I'm a Pom.

Posts: 340 | From: Redmond, WA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Richard W
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard W   E-mail Richard W   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
If you are a Pom, then your accent isn't an issue; you can simply turn up and speak in a commanding voice and people will do as you say and respect you for it to boot...
Posts: 8725 | From: Ipswich - the UK's 9th Best Place to Sleep! | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Paulie Jay
O Little Down-Payment of Bethlehem

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Paulie Jay     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Penny:
It's simple. If they talk funny, they're a Kiwi. Otherwise they're an Aussie.

Heh [Smile] So, how do you pronounce "beer" Penny - be honest!

--------------------
All the way with Paulie Jay

Posts: 476 | From: Sydney, NSW, Australia | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Damian

The most effective way to distinguish Kiwis from Aussies in Australia is to look at the person's achievements. If they are successful, we call them Aussies!

(Shout-out to Sam Neill, Russell Crowe, Neil Finn etc)

--------------------

Nick Theodorakis
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nick Theodorakis   E-mail Nick Theodorakis   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A joke seen on usenet (not original with me):
-----------

A bloke went into a fish shop and asked for some "fush 'n chups."

"Are you a Kiwi?" asked the shop owner.

The New Zealander was getting sick and tired of this so he spent the next three months at an elocution class. He finally returned to the shop and asked in perfect English for some "fish and chips."

"Er, you're a Kiwi, eh?"

"How the hell did you know that?"

"Because this has been a hardware shop for the past two months."

--------------------
Don't forget to register for the New ULMB.

Announcement here

Posts: 1089 | From: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spamamander in a pear tree

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spamamander in a pear tree     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SatansHobbit:
Funny how we who live in the locale can pick whether someone is a Kiwi or an Aussie by their accent instantly, but would struggle to differentiate between say, an American or Canadian accent.

The biggest giveaway would be to get one of us to pronounce the word 'sheep'. An Australian would say it with a long 'e-e-e' in the middle whilst a New Zealander would pronounce it 'darling'

[fish]

Damn, I got beat to the NZ sheep joke!

So I'll throw in a Scots joke instead.

Why do Scotsmen wear the kilt?

... because sheep have learned the sound of a zipper.

[fish]

--------------------
"There is a race between mankind and the universe. Mankind is trying to build bigger, better, faster, and more foolproof machines. The universe is trying to build bigger, better, and faster fools. So far the universe is winning." -Albert Einstein

Posts: 1058 | From: Yakima, WA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Christie
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Christie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
As a Canadian in England I was very used to being mistaken for an American but I was surprised when I was mistaken for an Aussie or Kiwi or South African - all of which happened on a few occasions.

I realise that, to me, I don't *have* an accent so I'm wondering - do Canadians really sound similar to the last 3 I mentioned? Because I don't "hear" it at all.

--------------------
If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, it's just possible you haven't grasped the situation. - Jean Kerr

Posts: 18428 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Em
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Em   E-mail Em   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Speaking as an Aussie, no. To me, Canadians sound more like Americans than like anyone else. I used to be able to reliably pick a Canadian accent from an American accent, but I haven't had to in a while and I've probably lost the knack.

--------------------
What the NFBSK does YOMANK mean?

Posts: 1646 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Christie
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Christie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I can't pick a generic US accent from a generic Canadian either. If the accent is at least somewhat regional I'm pretty good, otherwise, hey we all sound alike to me [Wink]

--------------------
If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, it's just possible you haven't grasped the situation. - Jean Kerr

Posts: 18428 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
curlygirl
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for curlygirl   E-mail curlygirl   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I could probably pick a Newfie in a crowd. Apart from that... the Canadians are the polite ones [Wink]

--------------------
"let them eat cake...and toast...and waffles...and cookies, don't forget the cookies"

Posts: 507 | From: Western Australia | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
the Virgin Marrya
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 506 posted      Profile for the Virgin Marrya     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Pointing out the joke [because the world apparently doesn't revolve around the South Pacific...] which is that Sam, Russ, and Neil, uh, ARE New Zealanders [lol]

quote:
Originally posted by Damian:
The most effective way to distinguish Kiwis from Aussies in Australia is to look at the person's achievements. If they are successful, we call them Aussies!

(Shout-out to Sam Neill, Russell Crowe, Neil Finn etc)

--------------------
Windows cannot open this file. To open this file correctly, defenestrate, then try running the file again...

Posts: 5383 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Chocklit
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 602 posted      Profile for Chocklit     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
When my family and I visited New Zealand for three weeks in 1990, we had a terrible time understanding the locals. The vowels are quite different from Australian. A waitress asked if we wanted "Kyke" and we said, "No dessert thanks, just a burger". She said, "No, no, Kyke, Kyke...Kyke-a Kyla". And so it went. By the end of the three weeks we not only understood the natives, we sounded like them! On the plane the flight attendant asked, "Are you eye-kye?" and I replied, "Yis."

And don't get me started about "Seth Efreekan"! Our town has immigrant doctors whose "ekseent" is so strong that we have no idea what we're dying of!

--------------------
"Jesus must be spinning in his grave." - Barney Gumble

Posts: 26 | From: Burns Lake, BC, Canada | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
The Goof
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Goof     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I could probably pick a Newfie in a crowd. Apart from that... the Canadians are the polite ones
Oh yeah well NFBSK you! [Big Grin]

--------------------
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid,than to open it and remove all doubt."- Mark Twain

Posts: 426 | From: Tucson, AZ (The Old Pueblo) | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages