snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Non-UL Chat » Fun House » How to Eat Sushi

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How to Eat Sushi
Echinodermata Q. Taft
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Echinodermata Q. Taft   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A bit long, but wonderfully bizarre and amusing:

http://www.jumpingpixels.com/sushibehavior.html

(I wish they hadn't put their logo over bits of the subtitles, though...)

--------------------
http://eqtaft.blogspot.com

Hope for the future! http://www.runobama.com

Posts: 3218 | From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ILS
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ILS   E-mail ILS   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This link does not have the logo over the text.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0b75cl4-qRE&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Ejumpingpixels%2Ecom%2Fsushibehavior%2Ehtml

Posts: 287 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
nurple
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nurple   Author's Homepage   E-mail nurple   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I just don't know what to make of that. All I know is that it made me hungry.

--------------------
"You better respect the Rap or the Rap won't respect you." Ledatru

Posts: 1141 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
landmammal
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for landmammal   E-mail landmammal   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
You know that stuff they put on the furi (and she said that nobody knows what it is)? Was that ginger?

I also liked the whole "Taisho has a secret past" thing.

land"maa maa maa maa"mammal

--------------------
I can't put my arms down!

Posts: 273 | From: California | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Midgard_Dragon
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Midgard_Dragon   E-mail Midgard_Dragon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Man, I want sushi now. I think I'll head out to the sushi place nearby later. So that video didn't mention wasabi, is that not traditionally used with sushi in Japan? I always mix in a liberal amount of wasabi with my soy sauce. Clears the sinuses and it's tasty. ^_^

--------------------
Midgard Dragon
-==UDIC==-
MidgardDragon's MySpace

Posts: 2455 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BlushingBride
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlushingBride     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
That was the funniest thing I have ever seen. Seriously. Hysterical. Brilliant send up of the Japanese culture videos I had to watch before I went to Japan. A+.

"This is the Geta. Some people wear them home. That's why Japanese people's feet smell like vinegar."

I will recommend it to all my friends.

ETA: Yes, Wasabi is very much in use. Also, you don't actually DROWN your sushi in the soy sauce (usually). You definitely don't lick the salt in the little bowl, and I've yet to visit a sushiya where they served squirrel or panda. Also, generally, the chopsticks are used at some point in the eating process. [Wink]

--------------------
"In perfume, as in underwear, the scantiest of applications provides the greatest of returns." -Silas Sparkhammer

Posts: 858 | From: Arlington, Texas | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
kanazawa
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kanazawa   E-mail kanazawa   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yeah, there were a few weird things that I noticed. First, anytime you enter a shop, store, or even pull up to a gas station, the employees will yell "Irashaimasse" (Welcome). Don't see how they left that out. Second, yeah, the lack of wasabi (or sake for that matter). Third, Japanese don't generally hand money directly to each other. And I am not sure about that "Taisho" thing. The dictionary says it means "general" or "chief", but that may be part of the joke.

I'll probably think of others...

--------------------
If I say it's safe to surf this beach, then it's safe to surf this beach...

Posts: 127 | From: Cupertino, CA | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LibrarianJen
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LibrarianJen   E-mail LibrarianJen   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by landmammal:
You know that stuff they put on the furi (and she said that nobody knows what it is)? Was that ginger?

Yes, that is gari, or pickled ginger. I believe you're really supposed to only eat it between different types of sushi, to cleanse your palate, but I like eating it right along with the sushi.

I'm relatively new to sushi though, so I may be wrong!

Man, that made me hungry too!

Posts: 1093 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
kanazawa

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kanazawa   E-mail kanazawa   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Did anyone else notice that when they showed the measurement of where to place your hand on the curtain to enter it was in inches--and when they showed how much soy sauce to pour out it was in cc?

The moist towel is actually called "oshibori"--they call it "zohkin", which means dustcloth...but I guess that follows with the story.

Also, when Japanese count with fingers, they start with the thumb, and end with the pinky...I think most westerners start with the index finger for one and end with the thumb being five.

--------------------

Posts: 127 | From: Cupertino, CA | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Errata
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Errata   E-mail Errata   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
That was hilarious.
Posts: 2018 | From: Santa Barbara, California | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BlushingBride

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlushingBride     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
OK, in case anyone does not get it...
It's a parody. This video is to the actual Sushi-ya experience as SNL is to reality.

Also, a bit of googling has led me to the conclusion that this thing was unleashed on the net by a member of BigDaikon, and was originally on a DVD intended for the amusement of Japanese people. So they're making fun of their own customs. Don't take any of it seriously.

Blushing "Oh Toh Toh Toh" Bride

--------------------
"In perfume, as in underwear, the scantiest of applications provides the greatest of returns." -Silas Sparkhammer

Posts: 858 | From: Arlington, Texas | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think everybody got that, BB, except maybe kanazawa.

--------------------
"When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty."--George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 19266 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BlushingBride

quote:
Originally posted by AnglRdr:
I think everybody got that, BB, except maybe kanazawa.

Yeah, I thought *mostly* everybody did...

--------------------

Midgard_Dragon

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Midgard_Dragon   E-mail Midgard_Dragon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
For the record, I got that it was a parody (which became apparent after the curtain/inches thing), but they still left out the most important and tastiest part of the sushi experience for me. ^_^

--------------------
Midgard Dragon
-==UDIC==-
MidgardDragon's MySpace

Posts: 2455 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Midgard_Dragon

quote:
Originally posted by LibrarianJen:
quote:
Originally posted by landmammal:

Yes, that is gari, or pickled ginger. I believe you're really supposed to only eat it between different types of sushi, to cleanse your palate, but I like eating it right along with the sushi.

I'm relatively new to sushi though, so I may be wrong!

Man, that made me hungry too!

I hate the ginger. HATE HATE HATE IT! I always tell my sushi-buddy that it tastes like those little lemon-scented wet-naps. And it does! >_<

--------------------
Midgard Dragon
-==UDIC==-
MidgardDragon's MySpace

Wild.Otaku
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wild.Otaku   Author's Homepage   E-mail Wild.Otaku   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
And of course, if you can't get to the sushi, the sushi can come to you!

Koo-ki Sushi

I think I know where my tax return is going to. Damned SO.

Wild 'but does he deserve to get any' Otaku

--------------------
Tom, we're flying a giant robot into space! "Safe" isn't the first word that springs to mind! - Colleen, Last Hope, Vol.2

Posts: 2710 | From: Meet me in St. Louis | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ganzfeld
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ganzfeld     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It's pretty funny! I'll have to show Mrs. Ganz later.

All that soy sauce was very gross. How can you taste the fish if you drown it in soy sauce? Mrs. Ganz does that. I just like a wee bit.

I think it's a great Japanese lesson, though! The language is very standardized and clear. (Just don't eat the salt.)

Posts: 4922 | From: Kyoto, Japan | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Echinodermata Q. Taft

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Echinodermata Q. Taft   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by kanazawa:
And I am not sure about that "Taisho" thing. The dictionary says it means "general" or "chief", but that may be part of the joke.

It could be a kind of colloquialism, where the literal meaning is "general" or "chief" but it has come to be how the lead sushi chef is addressed? Just a random guess...

My favorite example of this --though it's from Chinese, not Japanese -- is mentioned in James Clavell's book Noble House, which is a sequel to his earlier Tai-Pan. In the latter, he explains that the meaning of "tai-pan" is "supreme leader" and that the heads of the great Western trading houses dealing with China adopted it. In Noble House, however, it is revealed that though "supreme leader" is the literal meaning, colloquially it refers to a man in charge of a brothel or a village outhouse, and it amuses the Chinese greatly that Westerners love to be called by the term; amongst themselves they use "loh pan" which also means "supreme leader," but for real.

I have assumed that Clavell probably was informed of this after the first book was published, too late to change it, so he just went with the joke...

A quick google scan and look at Wikipedia finds lots of references to the "Taisho period" which was a semi-democratic era of Japanese history between 1912 and 1926, named for the Emporer of the period, whose health was poor; hence the power shift towards the legislature. Also, the name "Taisho" seems to be a popular one for restaurants -- there's a "Sushi Taisho" just up the coast from me, apparently.

--------------------

Posts: 3218 | From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Errata

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Errata   E-mail Errata   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
You should cease your inquiries into the mysterious nature of the Taisho.
Posts: 2018 | From: Santa Barbara, California | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Echinodermata Q. Taft

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Echinodermata Q. Taft   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Eeeek! Good point, Errata.

--------------------

kanazawa

Was going to say something about Taisho, but best not to anger the man with the razor sharp knife.

But I have to ask--after you have seen the video---So, how do you think about sushi? [Big Grin]

--------------------

Echinodermata Q. Taft

Personally, I don't eat the stuff...but I'm pretty narrow in my food preferences. (About the only Japanese food I like is teriyaki beef and tempura shrimp.)

One problem for me and Japanese (and Chinese) food is that I really don't care for rice, and they serve rice with just about everything. Though, there is a Japanese place near us that does the "cook at the table" thing that makes terrific fried rice, so maybe I'm slowly coming around.

--------------------

Errata

quote:
Originally posted by Echinodermata Q. Taft:
Personally, I don't eat the stuff...but I'm pretty narrow in my food preferences. (About the only Japanese food I like is teriyaki beef and tempura shrimp.)

Appropriately and freshly prepared sushi rice (and there are a lot of ways this can be messed up, so don't assume thats what you've had) tastes very different from regular rice. If you don't like rice you might want to stay away from rolls, and stick to nigiri, and if its still a problem you can have sashimi.

Sushi is one of my favorite types of food. I generally have it at least 3 or 4 times a week (for either lunch or dinner) unless I happen to be entertaining a guest who doesn't like it. My preference is nigiri, particularly saba, ono, and yellowtail, plus there are some really good ones that are only seasonally available.

I'd guesstimate there are about 40 sushi restaurants in the area for about 100,000 permanent residents, which works out to an absurd per capita ratio, so its very popular here. Its very noticeably less prominent when I travel out of state.

Ganzfeld

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ganzfeld     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
But I have to ask--after you have seen the video---So, how do you think about sushi? [Big Grin]

After watching that I have to go to the 100 yen rotating sushi restaurant for lunch. I eat fish sushi and sashimi about once every other day or so. It's a terrible addiction that has only gotten worse and worse.

I think the image of the endangered species was really over the top. (Which made it evry funny.) I think overfishing is a serious problem but every food choice poses problems for the environment. Agriculture, for example, uses many many times more fresh water resources than home water and also is a major source of pollution and greenhouse gas emissions. On the other hand, we should keep in mind that fish caught in the ocean are wild animals and we are at least lucky, if not foolish, to be able to get a large portion of our protein from the sea. I don't eat whale (although I have) or other species I think should be protected. At any rate, I was glad the video brought that subject up.

It's funny because the only people I know who are really particular about how sushi is eaten are not Japanese. When not eating it at an informal revolving sushi restaurant, most Japanese people eat sushi and sashimi at home and don't have any special rules for eating it beyond ordinary manners. (I have to say, though, I am very particular about how the wasabi and soy sauce should be applied. Mrs. Ganz' drowning of sashimi in a pool of wasabi-filled soy sauce is strange to me. To me, the wasabi goes only on the fish and a few dabs of soy sauce go on afterwards. But like I said, we non-Japanese are the ones who tend to be particular!) Sushi restaurants like the one in the video are not cheap, so few people eat that kind of sushi often and, I assume, few people are real aficionados or purists.(I took that to be part of the joke of the video. It's the stereotype that makes it funny.)

BLT - In case anyone is wondering, I live here for the food. [Wink]

Posts: 4922 | From: Kyoto, Japan | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
blucanary
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for blucanary   Author's Homepage   E-mail blucanary   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I love how they use recylced fish and pasta made to look like rice on the poor mans sushi. [lol]

--------------------
I would add my signature but the pen won't write on the screen.

Posts: 458 | From: Maryland | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Midgard_Dragon

quote:
Originally posted by Ganzfeld:
quote:

After watching that I have to go to the 100 yen rotating sushi restaurant for lunch. I eat fish sushi and sashimi about once every other day or so. It's a terrible addiction that has only gotten worse and worse.

I think the image of the endangered species was really over the top. (Which made it evry funny.) I think overfishing is a serious problem but every food choice poses problems for the environment. Agriculture, for example, uses many many times more fresh water resources than home water and also is a major source of pollution and greenhouse gas emissions. On the other hand, we should keep in mind that fish caught in the ocean are wild animals and we are at least lucky, if not foolish, to be able to get a large portion of our protein from the sea. I don't eat whale (although I have) or other species I think should be protected. At any rate, I was glad the video brought that subject up.

It's funny because the only people I know who are really particular about how sushi is eaten are not Japanese. When not eating it at an informal revolving sushi restaurant, most Japanese people eat sushi and sashimi at home and don't have any special rules for eating it beyond ordinary manners. (I have to say, though, I am very particular about how the wasabi and soy sauce should be applied. Mrs. Ganz' drowning of sashimi in a pool of wasabi-filled soy sauce is strange to me. To me, the wasabi goes only on the fish and a few dabs of soy sauce go on afterwards. But like I said, we non-Japanese are the ones who tend to be particular!) Sushi restaurants like the one in the video are not cheap, so few people eat that kind of sushi often and, I assume, few people are real aficionados or purists.(I took that to be part of the joke of the video. It's the stereotype that makes it funny.)

BLT - In case anyone is wondering, I live here for the food. [Wink]

I like my sushi dipped in wasabi w/soy sauce. First I put a liberal amount of wasabi in the dish they give you for the soy sauce, then I pour a small bit of soy sauce and mix it together until the soy sauce is a lighter color and the wasabi has disappeared. Then I put some more wasabi in the dish, pour on more soy sauce, and continue to mix until all chunks of wasabi are gone and the soy sauce is still noticeably lighter. Then I dip each side of the piece of sushi (wether it be roll or other) in the soy sauce. I don't let it soak, but I do make sure that I have a little bit of wasabi/soy sauce on each side of the piece before eating it. Oh, and my particular custom that I cannot not do is eating the sushi with chopsticks. I had a hard time with the types that have fish on top (not sure what they are called?) until I realized it would be easier to eat them with my hands. [Razz]

Speaking of sushi, my favorite sushi place (a Chinese Buffet/Japanese Sushi bar all-in-one; sounds odd but it's really good) has recently started putting out these things.... The only way I can describe them is "cones". These cones contain rice, sticks of crab meant, a lot of rice, and god knows what else. The "cone" part comes in because the seaweed contains all of these things stuffed down into it, and it is shaped like a cone. Is this something just they do, or is this a particular type of sushi, and if so, what is it called? I have yet to try it because it just looks freaky to me. I told my friend that it looked like some kind of alien egg/cone.

--------------------
Midgard Dragon
-==UDIC==-
MidgardDragon's MySpace

SchmooPie
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SchmooPie   E-mail SchmooPie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Midgard_Dragon:

Speaking of sushi, my favorite sushi place (a Chinese Buffet/Japanese Sushi bar all-in-one; sounds odd but it's really good) has recently started putting out these things.... The only way I can describe them is "cones". These cones contain rice, sticks of crab meant, a lot of rice, and god knows what else. The "cone" part comes in because the seaweed contains all of these things stuffed down into it, and it is shaped like a cone. Is this something just they do, or is this a particular type of sushi, and if so, what is it called? I have yet to try it because it just looks freaky to me. I told my friend that it looked like some kind of alien egg/cone.

It's called a handroll.

I used to know someone that smothered their sushi in wasabi and soy-sauce. I never understood the point. I could understand maybe at a cheap place but we went to a place that had their fish flown in every day or 2. (they said every day but I doubt that)

--------------------
"Show me a sane man and I will cure him for you."
- C. G. Jung

Posts: 243 | From: Marina del Rey, CA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ganzfeld

quote:
I like my sushi dipped in wasabi w/soy sauce. First I put a liberal amount of wasabi in the dish they give you for the soy sauce, then I pour a small bit of soy sauce and mix it together until the soy sauce is a lighter color and the wasabi has disappeared. Then I put some more wasabi in the dish, pour on more soy sauce, and continue to mix until all chunks of wasabi are gone and the soy sauce is still noticeably lighter. Then I dip each side of the piece of sushi (wether it be roll or other) in the soy sauce. I don't let it soak, but I do make sure that I have a little bit of wasabi/soy sauce on each side of the piece before eating it. Oh, and my particular custom that I cannot not do is eating the sushi with chopsticks. I had a hard time with the types that have fish on top (not sure what they are called?) until I realized it would be easier to eat them with my hands.

About the soy sauce saturated with wasabi -- eww! You must share some genes with Mrs. Ganz. I can't get any of that characteristic wasabi flavor that way. Also, even a little too much soy sauce kills the taste of the fish.

Eating with your hands in totally okay for most sushi. Most people use chopsticks but one funny part of the video is when it shows exactly to use your hands, which is how they say purists (who, as I said, are pretty rare) do it.

Errata

quote:
Originally posted by blucanary:
I love how they use recylced fish and pasta made to look like rice on the poor mans sushi. [lol]

Yeah, I liked that part. But I had to look up that whole otoro chutoro toro thing. I usually just see toro or not toro, with toro being more expensive than not toro. I'm still a little confused about whats what, actually.

Throughout the whole video there were things that I understood mixed with things where I didn't know enough to understand what the joke referred to.

Midgard_Dragon

quote:
Originally posted by Ganzfeld:
quote:
I like my sushi dipped in wasabi w/soy sauce. First I put a liberal amount of wasabi in the dish they give you for the soy sauce, then I pour a small bit of soy sauce and mix it together until the soy sauce is a lighter color and the wasabi has disappeared. Then I put some more wasabi in the dish, pour on more soy sauce, and continue to mix until all chunks of wasabi are gone and the soy sauce is still noticeably lighter. Then I dip each side of the piece of sushi (wether it be roll or other) in the soy sauce. I don't let it soak, but I do make sure that I have a little bit of wasabi/soy sauce on each side of the piece before eating it. Oh, and my particular custom that I cannot not do is eating the sushi with chopsticks. I had a hard time with the types that have fish on top (not sure what they are called?) until I realized it would be easier to eat them with my hands.

About the soy sauce saturated with wasabi -- eww! You must share some genes with Mrs. Ganz. I can't get any of that characteristic wasabi flavor that way. Also, even a little too much soy sauce kills the taste of the fish.

Eating with your hands in totally okay for most sushi. Most people use chopsticks but one funny part of the video is when it shows exactly to use your hands, which is how they say purists (who, as I said, are pretty rare) do it.

Oh, I'm perfectly aware it's acceptable to eat it with your hands, I just don't like to do it. I had to force myself to eat the fish-on-top bottom-layer of rice type of sushi with my hands so I could get it dipped without it falling apart. [Razz]

PS: Wasabi + Soy Sauce combo = purely awesome. Did I ever mention that I don't really like fish? [Razz] I love sushi, especially with the wasabi+soy, but I hate fish. So that must be why I don't mind missing a little bit of the fish tast. Although, I can still taste it perfectly fine when dipped that way.

ETA: To fix a stray "you" that sneak in on me.

--------------------
Midgard Dragon
-==UDIC==-
MidgardDragon's MySpace

Annie_M
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Annie_M   E-mail Annie_M   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
That video was hysterical! I just started eating sushi in the last year or so, and there are only 2 or 3 places in our area that even serve it.

Btw, re: the wasabi/soy v. plain controversy, I would guess it takes a fairly sensitive palate to fully appreciate the subtleties of the fish unseasoned. Because my palate is rather dull I like the wasabi/soy addition, tho I too enjoy the flavor of the fish combined with that.

The next time I go in for sushi it's going to be hard not to start giggling.... [lol]

--------------------
"It is better to ask forgiveness than to ask permission."

Posts: 8 | From: Fort Myers, Florida | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Radical Dory
God Rest Ye Merry Retail Clerks

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Radical Dory   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
That was brilliant. And now I want to drive to my favorite sushi restaraunt in Chapel Hill and eat some fabulous sushi with homemade soy sauce.

I will settle for an open-face turkey sandwich and fries, however. [Smile]

--------------------
"But about the reindeer...what kind of a nose shines? How did he get it? Maybe it's not a reindeer after all. It could be something else."

Posts: 2216 | From: Winston-Salem, NC | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DesertRat

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DesertRat     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I hate the ginger.
I've always been under the understanding that ginger was not meant to be consumed with the sushi, but rather to cleanse the pallet between servings.

But FWIW, I hate it too. Yuck! [Smile] But I'll take liberal doses of wasabi, thank you!

--------------------
High on the wind, the Highland drums begin to roll, and something from the past just comes and stares into my soul... --Mark Knopfler

Posts: 3402 | From: New Bern, NC | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Midgard_Dragon

quote:
Originally posted by DesertRat:
quote:
I hate the ginger.
I've always been under the understanding that ginger was not meant to be consumed with the sushi, but rather to cleanse the pallet between servings.

But FWIW, I hate it too. Yuck! [Smile] But I'll take liberal doses of wasabi, thank you!

Yes, it's supposed to be eaten to cleanse the pallet between pieces. However, it is still ICKY ICKY YUCK YUCK. [Wink]

--------------------
Midgard Dragon
-==UDIC==-
MidgardDragon's MySpace

SchmooPie
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SchmooPie   E-mail SchmooPie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Here's another funny video about sushi my wife just sent me.
global practical joke

--------------------
"Show me a sane man and I will cure him for you."
- C. G. Jung

Posts: 243 | From: Marina del Rey, CA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages