snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Non-UL Chat » Fun House » Best & Worst band names (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Best & Worst band names
Christie
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Christie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Jon Cougar Concentration Camp (another great name ruined by litigation)
/sarcastic/ Yeah can you believe how touchy Mellencamp was about someone using his name like that? Where's his sense of humour?

--------------------
If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, it's just possible you haven't grasped the situation. - Jean Kerr

Posts: 18428 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Senior
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Senior   E-mail Senior       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Names I like (these are all late 60s-early 70s):
Creedance Clearwater Revival
Three Dog Night
Santana
The Lovin' Spoonful
Buffalo Springfield
Mamas and Papas
Sly and the Family Stone
Sha-Na-Na

Names that suck (same period):
1910 Fruitgum Company
The Boxtops
John Fred & the Playboys
Eric Burden & the Animals (love the music, hate the name)
The Kingsmen
The Four Tops
Archie Bell and the Drells

--------------------
Ad astra per asparagus.

Posts: 4806 | From: Groton, CT | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
steve s
Almond Joy to the World

Icon 1 posted      Profile for steve s     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The group Ten Thousand Maniacs got their name from a 1964 horror movie called Two Thousand Maniacs.

Has anyone mentioned Sam the Sham and the Pharaohs?

Steve S.

Posts: 194 | From: St. Louis | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
steve s
Almond Joy to the World

Icon 1 posted      Profile for steve s     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Senior:

Names that suck (same period):
1910 Fruitgum Company

I still have that album. [Eek!]

Steve S.

Posts: 194 | From: St. Louis | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joe Joe Joey Junior Shabadoo
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joe Joe Joey Junior Shabadoo   Author's Homepage   E-mail Joe Joe Joey Junior Shabadoo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by steve s:

Has anyone mentioned Sam the Sham and the Pharaohs?

yes! wait, you mean besides you.

--------------------
I'm so broke; I can't even pay attention

Posts: 140 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Deansinger
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Deansinger   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Still haven't made up my mind whether it's brilliant or stupid, but nobody else has succeeded in copying this one: ? and the Mysterians

--------------------
It doesn't matter if you're wrong.. Be Wrong Loud!

Posts: 398 | From: Fallon, NV | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Senior
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Senior   E-mail Senior       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Deansinger:
? and the Mysterians

When I consider how every oldies station plays their song "96 Tears" at least twice a day, it's shocking that I should have forgotten them.

Actually it's not. ? and the Mysterians is not a name that excites me or revolts me. It's there, and that's pretty much all that can be said about this one-hit-wonder band.

--------------------
Ad astra per asparagus.

Posts: 4806 | From: Groton, CT | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Scuttler
Ron Mexico

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Scuttler         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GaiaP5:
The band name website reminds me of the rumors surrounding the name of KMFDM... It's supposed to mean "Kill MotherNFBSKing Depeche Mode".

Anyone else heard that? Maybe I should go do some reasearch... [lol]

The other alternative I remember was Kylie Minogue Fans Don't Masturbate. [Confused]

Any way, my own favorite obscure band name would have to be The Bourbon Tabernacle Choir.

Posts: 19 | From: Edinburgh, Scotland | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mr. Furious
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Furious   Author's Homepage   E-mail Mr. Furious   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Removed. Missed the fact that somebody already posted the information.

--------------------
"He's not gonna let me in, I'm Mr. Dirty Mouth!"
- Jeffrey Coho (Craig Bierko), Boston Legal

Posts: 8729 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
YNot2k
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 504 posted      Profile for YNot2k     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Off topic: I've got to admit, between this subject and the bad pickup lines, I've finally been forced into joining the Snopes' board community and this is my first post! [Smile]

Off the top of my head, I can think of two movie related ones that are catchy:
Save Ferris
Surrender Dorothy

From my formative teenage and young adult years in Chicago, I like the names (and in some cases, the bands):
The Bad Examples
Material Issue
Smashing Pumpkins
Vulgar Boatmen
The New Duncan Imperials

One I didn't like, mainly because the band sucked, was Enuff Z'nuff. I guess two guys in the band had the last name Znuff.

There was also a Chicago band named The Nixons, but then another band with the same name hit it big nationally, so the local band had to change their name to The Hot Rod Nixons.

Among the foreign band names that cracked me up was the one I heard doing punk rock covers of Beatles songs when I was in Germany: Die Toten Hosen. I believe that translates to "The Dead Socks." (Anyone who speaks German can feel free to correct me!)

And then there was a posting on another board here that I thought would make a great band name: Genocide and the Angry Dead.

--------------------
That guy on the TV news will never talk about me / But then everyone he shows is unhappy.
Ralph Covert/Bad Examples, "New Guitar"

Posts: 22 | From: Palm Harbor, FL | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
candycane from strangers
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for candycane from strangers   Author's Homepage   E-mail candycane from strangers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Welcome to the boards, YNot2K!

--------------------
Me: "He's 19? Uh oh, I bought him a beer."
A: "You contributed to the deliquency of a minor in drag!"
"Sweet spell check: keeping drunks off the radar since 1995."- IND
God Re-Animate Green Pork Bush

Posts: 3986 | From: Illinois, jealous? | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
MsBeaverhausen
Deck the Malls

Icon 98 posted      Profile for MsBeaverhausen   E-mail MsBeaverhausen   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by YNot2k:
One I didn't like, mainly because the band sucked, was Enuff Z'nuff. I guess two guys in the band had the last name Znuff.

You mean you didn't like "Fly High Michelle"? [Razz]

Band names I like:
Led Zeppelin
Mighty Mighty Bostones
Rush

Band names I hate:
Tears for Fears
Men Without Hats
Milli Vanilli (yeah I know they are fake but that was their name)

--------------------
I love Jesus... PURPLE JESUS !!!

Posts: 248 | From: Ft. Lauderdale, FL | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bettie Page Turner
Happy Holly Days

Icon 600 posted      Profile for Bettie Page Turner   E-mail Bettie Page Turner   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
...The New Duncan Imperials

So tell me...did you ever win the velour? [Wink]

--------------------
You fail to consider, for such is the tyranny of fashion, that the swan is not a slim animal... -Jincy Kornhauser, Melinda Falling

Posts: 1762 | From: Charleston, West Virginia | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
animal73
Deck the Malls

Icon 600 posted      Profile for animal73   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by trollface:

There's a band name that goes for being as offensive as possible that I think is either really crap or really brilliant in its crapness. If you're offended by naughty words, look away now. The name of the band is....Anal Cunt.

I remember the first time I saw an AC record. The cover was a parody of the Saturday Night Fever cover, with the AC logo where the SNF logo was. Same style and everything. The song was "Stayin' Alive (Oy Version)". I wonder how much I could get on Ebay for that.

And how cool is it that we've had two Jello Biafra bands mentioned so far? Do your homework, 17 pts. for correct names.....

Animal "Last Temptation of Reid" 73

--------------------
Never take a sleeping pill and a laxative the same night.

Canton Maddogs Rugby

Posts: 440 | From: Canton, Ohio | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Deansinger
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Deansinger   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by animal73:

And how cool is it that we've had two Jello Biafra bands mentioned so far? Do your homework, 17 pts. for correct names.....

Animal "Last Temptation of Reid" 73

One is Lard, and I think I mentioned Dead Kennedys at the beginning.

So, I see that we've mentioned Milli Vanilli, Archie Bell and the Drells, Enuff Z'nuff, and I'll throw in Scritti Politti for the point. Are we agreed that, in general, rhyming in band names is bad? Are there exceptions to this?

--------------------

Posts: 398 | From: Fallon, NV | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
GaiaP5
Cereal Killer

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GaiaP5     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 

Off the top of my head, I can think of two movie related ones that are catchy:
Save Ferris
Surrender Dorothy

Hey, don't forget about The Nerfherders!

From my formative teenage and young adult years in Chicago, I like the names (and in some cases, the bands):

Material Issue

Oh, how I miss Material Issue. I know it's been 10 years since Jim Ellison died, but I still miss him.

PS If I messed up the quote blocks, please forgive me. I'm still trying to figure it all out. [lol]

--------------------
When other little girls were dreaming of being ballet dancers, I kind of wanted to be a vampire.

Posts: 185 | From: Stuttgart, Germany | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
animal73
Deck the Malls

Icon 600 posted      Profile for animal73   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Deansinger:
One is Lard, and I think I mentioned Dead Kennedys at the beginning.

So, I see that we've mentioned Milli Vanilli, Archie Bell and the Drells, Enuff Z'nuff, and I'll throw in Scritti Politti for the point. Are we agreed that, in general, rhyming in band names is bad? Are there exceptions to this?

17 points for you! As far as rhyming names, I liked Quiet Riot as a name. Unfortunately, 3 of the 4 members are complete retards.

Well, I might as well tell the story. A few years back, they were here for the Football Hall of Fame ribs burnoff. (Big deal around here.) I brought an old 45 of theirs, a silver sharpie,
and the Metal Health CD cover. They get done performing, and take their seats at the autograph table.

Lead singer up first. I explain to sign the 45 on the actual vinyl in silver, and to sign the CD cover in black (they had the black marker). So he signs the record LABEL in silver and the CD cover in SILVER.

Second guy. (If I can decipher the autographs, I can tell you who was who.) Explain the same thing. Signs the record LABEL in BLACK and the CD cover in SILVER.

Third guy. The only one with a functioning brain. I explain the same thing with the markers. He proclaims that would look pretty cool, and signs the vinyl in silver, as requested. He then picks up the CD cover, and the black marker. He sees what has happened previously, and asks if I would like that signed in silver too, so it matches everyone else. I reply affirmative, so he signs in silver, whilest muttering "Idiots!". (This is WAY before Napoleon Dynamite.)

Fourth guy. Explain about the 45 in silver, have given up my quest for black on the CD cover. He signs the CD cover in silver, signs the 45 on the LABEL in BLACK and then DIRECTLY UNDERNEATH on the vinyl in SILVER!!! So I have 5 autographs from a 4 member band. Brilliance.

If anyone is still awake after my mini-rant, I could post a picture of this lovely item....

Animal "Cum on feel the noize" 73

--------------------

Canton Maddogs Rugby

Posts: 440 | From: Canton, Ohio | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Deansinger
Deck the Malls

Okay, I'll grant Quiet Riot is a pretty cool name. I got a few more to think about here, too.
My Morning Jacket- Not Good
My Chemical Romance- Brilliant. (maybe the sex drugs Rock & Roll connection inherent to such a name?)

Thinking back to San Diego in the 90's,
Drive Like Jehu is a good name
Rocket From The Crypt is good, too
The Beat Farmers- Great band, lousy name (pretty much the same lineup used to appear sometimes as "The Incredible Hayseeds", and that was a good name)
The Rugburns- Great name (Great band, too)
Lucy's Fur Coat- bad name (it's supposed to be punning on Lucifer's goat, but any play on words that had to be explained that often is not working)

--------------------

Spikey
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spikey   E-mail Spikey   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Band name I like: Jack Off Jill (just seems offensive, but funny - plus I like their stuff)

Band name I don't: The Boo Radleys (just seemed weird to make themselves a plural of a character from a book!)

--------------------
"The fact that "uvula" and "vulva" look and sound similar was just a happy coincidence." - Lainie

Posts: 548 | From: England | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
animal73
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for animal73   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
There was a local band (I think) in the early 90s called Nasty Rachel. My buddy thought that was hilarious.

--------------------

Canton Maddogs Rugby

YNot2k

Icon 1 posted      Profile for YNot2k     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by candy from Ron Mexico:
Welcome to the boards, YNot2K!

Thank you so much for the welcome--that's the kind of friendly treatment I expected from the Snopes community.

quote:
Originally posted by MsBeaverhausen:
quote:

You mean you didn't like "Fly High Michelle"? [Razz]
Ehhh...not so much. But you have made me think of the video for the last two days!
Funny thing though, I guess one of the Znuff boys is in a band named "Adler's Appetite." Yep, it's a Guns n' Roses tribute band fronted by Steven Adler. I honestly think I'd go see a GNR tribute band fronted by Buckethead before I'd go see Adler's version.

quote:
Originally posted by GaiaP5:
Hey, don't forget about The Nerfherders!

Oh, how I miss Material Issue. I know it's been 10 years since Jim Ellison died, but I still miss him.

PS If I messed up the quote blocks, please forgive me. I'm still trying to figure it all out. [lol] [/QB]

I did forget The Nerfherders--sorry!!!
And you're right, Jim Ellison, along with Ralph Covert of the Bad Examples, were just experts at writing great little ear-catching two and a half to four minute pop songs that you could sing along with, or the heartstrings-tugging ballad that made you really feel what they were feeling.

I remember the first time I heard MI was when my brother came up to visit me at school and before he even put his suitcase down, he was handing me a cassette (oh God, that was long ago!) and saying,"You HAVE to hear this song." That tune was "Very First Lie" off of "International Pop Overthrow," and man, I was hooked.

I do wonder every now and then what kind of music they'd be making now if they were still around, or if Jim would have been like Ralph and shut the band down and go solo at some point. It's just such a shame that he couldn't handle his loneliness and his band losing their record deal and killed himself.

quote:
Originally posted by Bettie Page Turner:
quote:
...The New Duncan Imperials

So tell me...did you ever win the velour? [Wink]
I totally forgot about that song! No, I never won that, but I think I caught a kazoo one time. That's another one of those stories where I'd have likely never heard of them if I wasn't dating a girl who had the strangest musical tastes and I agreed to go to the concert just so I could.... yeah, well, anyways. Gotta love college!

And Deansinger? I LOVE The Rugburns (the band, people!). Great music, and you're right, great name.

--------------------
That guy on the TV news will never talk about me / But then everyone he shows is unhappy.
Ralph Covert/Bad Examples, "New Guitar"

Posts: 22 | From: Palm Harbor, FL | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Deansinger
Deck the Malls

Sweeeeet! Someone else knows the Rugburns!

--------------------

The Hit Parade

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Hit Parade   E-mail The Hit Parade   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I did once read a very NFBSK explanation of why Korn are called what they are, but it's even less appetising than their music. Oh and Die Toten Hosen actually means "dead trousers", which is apparently German slang for "nothing doing". I used to think Die Cheerleader were a German band too.

It's always easier to spot the bad names, isn't it? I'd include any name like My Chemical Romance that seems to be trying too hard. Also: Maroon 5, Test Icicles, The 4 Skins etc.

Posts: 19 | From: Harrow, UK | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
senshisteph

Icon 1 posted      Profile for senshisteph   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I love some tribute band names, e.g.
Fred Zeppelin
By Jovi!

--------------------
七転び八起き
nana korobi ya oki
'fall down seven times, get up eight.'

Posts: 155 | From: Nagoya, Japan | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spam & Cookies-mmm
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spam & Cookies-mmm   E-mail Spam & Cookies-mmm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by senshisteph:
I love some tribute band names, e.g.
Fred Zeppelin
By Jovi!

I like Hayseed Dixie. [Smile]

--------------------
Did you see the Announcement?
There's a new snopes message board!

Posts: 7767 | From: Paradise Ceded | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
candycane from strangers
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for candycane from strangers   Author's Homepage   E-mail candycane from strangers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This isn't one in existence yet, but last night my friend lit up some cheap cigarette and another friend and I said it smelled like burning plastic ass. We all thought that would make a good band name.

--------------------
Me: "He's 19? Uh oh, I bought him a beer."
A: "You contributed to the deliquency of a minor in drag!"
"Sweet spell check: keeping drunks off the radar since 1995."- IND
God Re-Animate Green Pork Bush

Posts: 3986 | From: Illinois, jealous? | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
A Guy Named Goo
Carol of the Bills

Icon 1 posted      Profile for A Guy Named Goo   Author's Homepage   E-mail A Guy Named Goo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Cool Japanese band names (all by artists who did intros for the same anime):

Porno Graffiti
L'arc~en~Ciel
Cool Joke
Asian Kung-Fu Generation

candy, your Well Hungarians reference amuses me more in that according to the Rent Bible, in Rent that was supposed to have been the name of Roger's band. (The movie used MUTE, also a pretty cool name, which was Adam Pascal's band name once upon a time.)

There's always my namesake, which came from the Goo Goo Dolls. I also love the name Polyphonic Spree (music geek ^_^) and the name Third Eye Blind (although that was the first album I ever regretted buying). I liked Matchbox 20, before they decided to spell out "twenty", too. Johnny Hates Jazz is a good one, too.

For some bad band names, we actually have to get into conversations with my brother and his friends. My brother has been in bands called Crimzon (80s glam rock cover band) and Blindsight (they are horrendously bad).

My friend and I like to call radio stations and act horrified when they have never heard of Harry Likes Oral Sex, or their album Whimsey and Pills, with its hit single "Sinister Cookies". And then there's Mindfuck Afterglow, called The Afterglow for short.

ETA: I also really dug a made-up band name in something I wrote: Sonny Don't Share. This was overdo, considering previous made-up band names included Track 13 and Pink Blues (an all-girl group).

--------------------
“I really feel like this is part of my life's work....It's part of what I want to do with my time here....So if I can make a difference at all by talking openly about myself, I'm glad.” - Anthony Rapp, Without You, pp. 206-207

Posts: 592 | From: Kenduskeag, ME | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
sidewinder
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sidewinder   E-mail sidewinder   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A british-bands name that my simple-mind thought was rather grin-worthy-

"Test icicles"

Posts: 282 | From: wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ottercreek
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ottercreek   E-mail ottercreek   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
We discussed once calling our band .

Yes, the period is several spaces after the word 'band' in the last sentence. That is because the name would be literally a blank pause, no sound at all, but that abscence of sound would be the name, perhaps a momentary bodily motion as you would with any band's introduction. The name consists of no letters or sounds, but that IS the name. It was sort of an attempt to one-up "The The" or just "The."

I am not sure how it would be alphabetized though.

We decided against it, as it was only a momentary joke.

Posts: 736 | From: Maryland | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ogre4Hire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ogre4Hire     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Rhymes with Orange
Power of Kung-Food (Bad pun, but I still find it funny)
The Dave Brubeck Quartet (Had to throw an "leader's name with number of players" band in there)

Doesn't like:
Flight of Seagulls
Bunch of others already listed.

--------------------
"I felt a great disturbance in this farce..." Nodwick in Lich Wars: the Henchman Strikes Back

Posts: 167 | From: Myrtle Creek, Oregon ( the State of Confusion) | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Phil'sGirl
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Phil'sGirl     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
One word: Chumbawumba.

What is that supposed to be, exactly?!?

--------------------
"Nobody ever looks like McCarthy, sir. That's how they get in the door in the first place" Toby on The West Wing

Posts: 816 | From: Washington State | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Pogue Ma-humbug
Happy Christmas (Malls are Open)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pogue Ma-humbug   E-mail Pogue Ma-humbug   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Joe Bentley:
I have always liked Fallout Boy

Pssst. ... It's Fall Out Boy. My 14-year-old daughter would put your head in your hands for that error.

I like:

The Whisky Priests.
All-American Rejects.
Boiled in Lead.
Cowboy Junkies.
Goats Don't Shave.

And I am quite partial to The Pogues. [Big Grin]

Pogue

--------------------
Let's drink to the causes in your life:
Your family, your friends, the union, your wife.

Posts: 11325 | From: Kentucky | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay Tea
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Tea   E-mail Jay Tea   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Phil'sGirl, hoping for sun:
One word: Chumbawumba.

What is that supposed to be, exactly?!?

quote:
According to Chumbawamba's official FAQ :

Chumbawamba doesn’t mean anything. At the time we formed (early 80’s) there was a rush of bands with obvious names. It was the time of ‘peace punk’ and you couldn’t get across a youth club dance floor without bumping into a Disorder, a Subhumans, a Decadent Youth or an Anthrax t-shirt. We liked the sound of Chumbawamba because it wasn’t nailing ourselves down. Thatcher On Acid were a good band but it’s lucky for them that Thatcher stayed in power for 11 years. If her influence had only lasted 18 months Thatcher On Acid’s sell by date would have come and gone a lot sooner. We wanted a name which wouldn’t date

--------------------
This is where I come up with something right? Something really clever...

Posts: 6552 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Phil'sGirl
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Phil'sGirl     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Cheers, Jay.

It's also one of the two words my friends use to decide if they are drunk yet.

Oh, and I see I spelled it wrong, oops.

--------------------
"Nobody ever looks like McCarthy, sir. That's how they get in the door in the first place" Toby on The West Wing

Posts: 816 | From: Washington State | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Saluki Worship
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Saluki Worship     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ottercreek:
We discussed once calling our band .

Yes, the period is several spaces after the word 'band' in the last sentence. That is because the name would be literally a blank pause, no sound at all, but that abscence of sound would be the name, perhaps a momentary bodily motion as you would with any band's introduction. The name consists of no letters or sounds, but that IS the name. It was sort of an attempt to one-up "The The" or just "The."

I am not sure how it would be alphabetized though.

We decided against it, as it was only a momentary joke.

FWIW, there is a band called !!!
Posts: 96 | From: Victoria, Australia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages