snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Non-UL Chat » Fun House » Optical Illusion

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Optical Illusion
Snafu
Deck the Malls

Icon 208 posted      Profile for Snafu     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
How great is this?

http://www.killsometime.com/illusions/illusion.asp?ID=1

Posts: 241 | From: England | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Autumn Neko
The Seahorse Whisperer

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Autumn Neko   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
That's one of my favorite optical illusions! I actually used Photoshop to prove to myself that the colors are the same.. it's pretty cool.

--------------------
"...and if you take cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like prunes than rhubarb does."
~~Groucho Marx~~

Posts: 392 | From: Virginia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Wizard of Yendor
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wizard of Yendor   E-mail Wizard of Yendor   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've seen it before, but yes, it's very impressive.
Posts: 2352 | From: California | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
noysey
The Swordfish in the Stone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for noysey   E-mail noysey   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Awesome! I couldn't believe it, but by blocking everything out but A &B I was able to see they are indeed the same.
Posts: 161 | From: California | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
tribrats

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tribrats   Author's Homepage   E-mail tribrats   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Might want to throw a NSFW warning on that for the other content on the page. First time I ever heard of a game called "You Da Sperm".

--------------------
Snopes is moving! Here's snopes' announcement.
Come here to re-register!

Posts: 2448 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
black roses 19
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for black roses 19   E-mail black roses 19   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I like this one: http://www.killsometime.com/illusions/illusion.asp?ID=11

Oh...and I see 20. Any idea how many there are supposed to be? http://www.killsometime.com/illusions/illusion.asp?ID=25

Man...some of those really gave me a headache...

like this one:

http://www.killsometime.com/illusions/illusion.asp?ID=31

--------------------
"I find them to be in contradiction of the basic principles of YOUR MOM!!!" -We've Got Mail

Posts: 1361 | From: Muncie, IN | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Wizard of Yendor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wizard of Yendor   E-mail Wizard of Yendor   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by blackroses19:

But the lines are wavy. Not very, but a little. Blow it up.
quote:

like this one:

YahhhH!!! Talk about giving you a headache. That's the best verion of the effect I've seen yet.
Posts: 2352 | From: California | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
black roses 19
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for black roses 19   E-mail black roses 19   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------
But the lines are wavy. Not very, but a little. Blow it up.

Yeah, I know. I held a credit card up to it. They are alot straighter than they look though [Smile]

--------------------
"I find them to be in contradiction of the basic principles of YOUR MOM!!!" -We've Got Mail

Posts: 1361 | From: Muncie, IN | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ganzfeld
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ganzfeld     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The creator of the figure on that cheesy steal-other-people's-hard-work site is here where you will find the original of the stolen and badly compressed image that appears on the cheesy site.

This optical illusion and many others are available at:
http://www.michaelbach.de/ot/index.html
The author of the linked site did not discover all of these optical illusions (only a few) but he did take the time to make the nice graphics.

Posts: 4922 | From: Kyoto, Japan | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
SkyeTisTheSeasonWynters
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SkyeTisTheSeasonWynters     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Original:  -

(poorly) Photoshopped:

-

That's pretty amazing [Smile]

SW

--------------------
Peter: You better watch who you're calling a child Lois, because if I'm a child, that makes you a pedophile, and I'll be damned if I'm going to stand here and be lectured by a pervert

Posts: 354 | From: Minneapolis, MN | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Wizard of Yendor

quote:
Originally posted by Ganzfeld:
The creator of the figure on that cheesy steal-other-people's-hard-work site is here where you will find the original of the stolen and badly compressed image that appears on the cheesy site.

It's not really stolen when the original has "These checkershadow images may be reproduced and distributed freely." written under it, is it? But baddly compressed, I'll give you.
Ganzfeld
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ganzfeld     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Wizard of Yendor:
It's not really stolen when the original has "These checkershadow images may be reproduced and distributed freely." written under it, is it? But baddly compressed, I'll give you.

Yes, that is because they contain, as you will notice, in the lower left corner "in large, friendly letters" the name of the author, which someone prior to its arrival at the cheesy site has omitted.

[ETA - I'm sorry for being so snarky about it. I thought for a second that perhaps an older version of the graphic did not have his name on it but I just checked my own older copy and it has his name on it. I just want him to get credit for the work he has done, that's all. Some of these sites use material from places like snopes and other copyrighted sources (you will notice that the page is copyrighted) without any care for credit.]

Posts: 4922 | From: Kyoto, Japan | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Wizard of Yendor

Hmm, you're right. It looks like they (or someone) did delete his name. That's not cool.
dramaqueen872005
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dramaqueen872005   E-mail dramaqueen872005   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

like this one:

If you fix on one bean or whatever, it stops moving. But if your eyes move across the picture, that's when it starts moving.

--------------------
"I'm Jimmy Joe Dean," he said, "Sort of like James Dean, but with a Texas twist"
"Yeah," Brent muttered. "The original Rebel Without a Brain."
~Drive me Wild, Julie Ortolon

Posts: 444 | From: Round Rock/San Angelo, TX | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Arts Myth
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arts Myth   E-mail Arts Myth   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Then there's this, er, happy couple. Well, at least one balances out the other...

Arts "focus, people!" Myth

--------------------
Stupid, stupid rat creatures! - Bone
"The missionaries told us not to cut ourselves. It displeases Jesus." - Elsie Clews Parsons, Kiowa Tales, quoted in The Mourner's Dance, Katherine Ashenburg

Posts: 695 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages