snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Non-UL Chat » Business Bytes » Small grocery stores hotbeds for food stamp fraud

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Small grocery stores hotbeds for food stamp fraud
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Efforts to reduce the illegal use of food stamps have kept millions of dollars in benefits from going to waste during the past five years, but small convenience and grocery stores in low-income areas continue to be hotbeds for fraud, according to the Government Accountability Office.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2006-12-11-fraud_x.htm

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
annabohly
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for annabohly   E-mail annabohly   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
We were grocery shopping yesterday, and some woman approched us and wanted to know if we wanted to "buy" some food stamps, $200.00 in food stamps for $125.00 cash.
Appparantly, the storms we had earlier in the month plus the power outages caused some people to lose their food, so the people who receive food stamps got their benefits twice this month on account of the food loss. That's a big waste of government money, the people should have to prove they lost power to get their benfits twice.

--------------------
And always remember....when life hands you Lemons, ask for tequila and salt and call me over !!!!!

Posts: 521 | From: St. Louis, MO | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by annabohly:

Appparantly, the storms we had earlier in the month plus the power outages caused some people to lose their food, so the people who receive food stamps got their benefits twice this month on account of the food loss. That's a big waste of government money, the people should have to prove they lost power to get their benfits twice.

I'd be curious to know how this was implemented. Do you have any links to stories about it?

--------------------
"When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty."--George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 19266 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spamamander in a pear tree
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spamamander in a pear tree     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Eek. I'm not sure if our system in Washington makes it more difficult to commit frauds or no... we have a debit card that will have two deposits on it, one that is food stamps and will purchase those items only, and another that is cash benefits if they apply. I loved it as a cashier though, anyplace with a good computerized system automatically sorted out the covered items and they swiped the card for that amount and paid the balance by whatever other means.

ETA: Guess I should read the whole article instead of the first half before posting. [Razz]

--------------------
"There is a race between mankind and the universe. Mankind is trying to build bigger, better, faster, and more foolproof machines. The universe is trying to build bigger, better, and faster fools. So far the universe is winning." -Albert Einstein

Posts: 1058 | From: Yakima, WA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

To really avoid waste, they'd have to prove that they actually lost food, which would be more difficult, I imagine.

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
annabohly
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for annabohly   E-mail annabohly   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr:
quote:

I'd be curious to know how this was implemented. Do you have any links to stories about it?
I'll have to look for links, I am going off info I have gotten from people I know who are on food stamps, there were some annoucemnts on local news and radio about this, but I don't know if it was posted on a website or printed in local paper.

The food stamp office just simply reloaded the ebt cards of everyone who gets foodstamp, regardless if their power was out or not.

--------------------
And always remember....when life hands you Lemons, ask for tequila and salt and call me over !!!!!

Posts: 521 | From: St. Louis, MO | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages