snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Non-UL Chat » Business Bytes » Young people struggle to deal with kiss of debt (Page 4)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Young people struggle to deal with kiss of debt
MaxKaladin
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MaxKaladin   E-mail MaxKaladin   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Elkhound:
Also, specific courses one must take for a given program may not be offered every term--or every year--hence, one may not be able to get in all the courses one needs in four years.

At a college where I used to be librarian, the Business department piled on so many required math courses that, in order to comply with the college's general distribution requirements, the in-department courses, and the math requirements, it was impossible to earn a BBA in less than five years, and most students required six. Similarly, the Bachelor of Physical Education program had so many biology and chemistry corequisites that it was acceptable as a premedical major--and needed five years at least to complete. I am told that this is not unusual.

yeah, those are both also big reasons for it. Another problem when I was in school was that requirements had recently been added and it took a while to catch up to the changes. At first, there just weren't enough sessions offered to meet a newly increased demand for a particular class and it could really throw a schedule off. They have to hire teachers, find classroom space and things like that. It can take a couple of semesters to get everything in place.
Posts: 716 | From: San Antonio, TX | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BeachLife
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 211 posted      Profile for BeachLife   Author's Homepage   E-mail BeachLife   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by snapdragonfly:
...I'm sure some folks do find a way, and it involves hard work, but I think there are some people who can't do it without loans no matter how spartan they are willing to live for the time being. It just depends on the circumstances, the resources, the community, and the school...

That's all true, but some of those circumstances and the school are a matter of choice. I recall someone on this board not too long ago saying something about being $40,000 in debt after a single year of school. Hard work probably won't get you through 4 years at $40,000/year without debt, but I would question the wisdom of attending a $40,000/year school without schorships, grants or some other support (including parents).

Beach...my dauther's going to one of 'those' schools only due to massive scholorships...Life!

--------------------
Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone.
Jack Dragon, On Being a Dragon
Confessions of a Dragon's scribe
Diary of my Heart Surgery

Posts: 12094 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages