snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Non-UL Chat » Business Bytes » Transcript: Verizon Doesn't Know How To Count

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Transcript: Verizon Doesn't Know How To Count
kitoboo
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kitoboo   E-mail kitoboo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Here's a transcript of the call between a Verizon cellphone customer and various Verizon reps who can't tell the difference between dollars and cents.
Transcript

-kitoboo

Posts: 399 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
tribrats
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tribrats   Author's Homepage   E-mail tribrats   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I just found that and was posting but had to go check my kids. I can't believe I sat and listened to the whole thing!

--------------------
Snopes is moving! Here's snopes' announcement.
Come here to re-register!

Posts: 2448 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
.99˘

does not equal

$0.99

I have considered demanding products advertised for the first price, but have overlooked it as "charming" in the past. Perhaps I will rethink that.

His "20,000 for a car" example was really good, I though.

--------------------
"When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty."--George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 19266 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Elwood
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elwood   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
There are 3 kinds of people in the world, those who can't count and those who can't.

--------------------
"If I didn't see it and didn't know it was a real news report, I wouldn't believe it. I mean, how nutty can you get?"-Pat Robertson Oct 26, 2006.

Posts: 2936 | From: Mean Streets of West Virginia | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
justusfour
Bone Appétit!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for justusfour     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Seriously, they must not require these people to have diplomas. That's basic math learned in junior high school. [Confused]

--------------------
"Is there anything fluffier than a cloud? If there is, I don't want to know about it."

Posts: 66 | From: Cowtown TX | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
annabohly
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for annabohly   E-mail annabohly   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Actully, To be hired for customer service at Verizon they do want you to have a degree. I wanted to apply but don't have said degree.

--------------------
And always remember....when life hands you Lemons, ask for tequila and salt and call me over !!!!!

Posts: 521 | From: St. Louis, MO | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Malruhn
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Malruhn   E-mail Malruhn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
After reading the transcript, I think they all think that they all have 98.6 degrees... Fahrenheit...

--------------------
Opinions aren't excuses to remain ignorant about subjects, nor are they excuses to never examine one's beliefs & prejudices...

Babies are like tattoos. You see other peoples' & they're cool, but yours is never as good & you can't get rid of it.

Posts: 5622 | From: Jax, Florida | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tootsie Plunkette
Buy a Torch, Jeanette, Isabella

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tootsie Plunkette   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My husband works for a company that supplies Verizon Wireless customer service. I've sent him the link.

He does have a degree (two, actually), and is a whiz at math. I'll be interested to hear his opinion on this. He frequently rants about the inadequacy of our current educational system...

--------------------
--Tootsie

Posts: 5017 | From: Greater Seattle | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LittleDuck

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LittleDuck   E-mail LittleDuck   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by annabohly:
Actully, To be hired for customer service at Verizon they do want you to have a degree. I wanted to apply but don't have said degree.

Maybe this is recent. My brother used to work for Verizon, in customer service (enventually as a supervisor) and did not have a degree. He actually left there a few years ago to go to college. The only thing he had to do was some kind of testing they made everyone do.

Little "I'm sure he knows the difference between dollars and cents, though" Duck

--------------------
"Silly customer, you cannot hurt a Twinkie." -Apu (The Simpsons)

Posts: 2026 | From: 10 miles South of Boston | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Electrotiger
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Electrotiger   E-mail Electrotiger   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This guy (same guy as in the OP transcript) has kept a very detailed blog about his experiences with Verizon and their decimal problems.

It's very funny, and very sad.

--------------------
Mr. Sagan did not go too fars, If you just took the time to scan its,
You'd count billions and billions of stars, And billions and billions of planets.

Posts: 332 | From: Kansas City, MO | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Paulie Jay
O Little Down-Payment of Bethlehem

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Paulie Jay     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm only surprised that he was able to keep so calm all the way through.

--------------------
All the way with Paulie Jay

Posts: 476 | From: Sydney, NSW, Australia | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 19 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
G: [big sigh] Okay, I think I have to do this again. Do you recognize that there's a difference between one dollar and one cent?

A: Definitely.

G: Do you recognize there's a difference between half a dollar and half a cent?

A: Definitely

G: Then, do you therefore recognize there's a difference between .002 dollars and .002 cents

A: No.

G: No?

A: I mean there's... there's no .002 dollars.

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Anyte
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Anyte   E-mail Anyte   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Wow. That's...impressively dumb and frustrating. It's not even really a math problem, more of a language problem, with the Verizon staff not understanding how monetary values are said. It boggles my mind.

--------------------
Too broke to pay attention

Posts: 452 | From: Omaha, NE | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 203 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd just send Verizon a check for .7179 dollars and let them try to figure it out.

- snopes

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr:
.99˘

does not equal

$0.99

I have considered demanding products advertised for the first price, but have overlooked it as "charming" in the past. Perhaps I will rethink that.

His "20,000 for a car" example was really good, I though.

Sweet potatoes at the Kroger were advertised at .48˘/lb today. I should've insisted they sell them to me at that price.

--------------------
"When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty."--George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 19266 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Singing in the Drizzle
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Singing in the Drizzle     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I would not consider this a math problem so much as a writing problem. We do not use "cents" much when writing any more and most people screw it when they do. So they just remove the doller amount and add the cent symbol, forgeting the decemal point. Since they do not know any better they read it back the same way. So $0.02 becomes .02 cents, not relising the correct way to read it is 2/100th of a cent or 2/10,000th of a dollars ($0.0002).
Posts: 597 | From: Bellingham, WA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
laura 2
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for laura 2   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
You know, I have terrible math anxiety - can't caluculate numbers in my head worth a NFBSK. But even *I* got what he was saying the first time he explained it.

I really LMAO at the poster at the bottom of the blog who shared the story of the woman who insited that there were 4 twenties in $100, just like there are 4 quarters in a dollar. [lol]

--------------------
My Belly Dance Business - Galatea Middle Eastern Dance - www.galateadancer.com

Q: What's the difference between an onion and a mizmar?
A: No one cries when they cut up a mizmar.

Posts: 786 | From: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages