snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Non-UL Chat » Business Bytes » Shea Class Action Lit. Settlement Award

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Shea Class Action Lit. Settlement Award
Eve MG
Happy Holly Days

Icon 605 posted      Profile for Eve MG   Author's Homepage   E-mail Eve MG   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I was looking over my credit card bill (GM MasterCard) online today and found this entry:
SHEA CLASS ACTION LIT. SETTLEMENT AWARD -$0.NN (less than a dollar)*

I typed that in Google and didn't find much, except for this blog (scroll down to December 9, "Windfall") by a person who also received it. The comments (7 so far) are all from people who have received the same thing, in varying amounts under 50 cents. Then "Paul" (the 7th comment) said this:

quote:
I too received $.NN* back from this company. Never bought anything from them and have no idea who they are. Called Gm card to figure this one out, but they were no help. It's probably a scam! Crooks do this to see if the Credit Card numbers work and then make a large purchase using the card numbers. Something similar to this happened to me before.
I called GM and the customer service rep told me that it is a legitimate class action lawsuit, but her reasons seemed to be as follows:
1. Because lots of other customers have a similar credit on their accounts.
2. Because she was told that "it's legitimate." She couldn't even tell me whether the information that it's legit came from GM or the people who put the credit through.
3. She had an email address for me to write to if I have any more questions: lacounsel@earthlink.net, and said I should be receiving something in the mail soon.

None of those are good enough reasons to convince me. The Earthlink address makes me suspicious, I feel it's only slightly less anonymous than Yahoo or Gmail. Searching Google for the email address or the name LA Counsel turned up nothing, and the law firm that uses www.lacounsel.com also uses email addresses with that domain name (and they don't call themselves "LA Counsel," they call themselves by the partners' names).

I really think any big class action lawsuit would have at least some information online, even a news article about it.

I will email them from one of my anonymous accounts and see what happens, but I was wondering if this sounds familiar to anyone else. I'm getting more and more nervous that it's a scam, and I'm going to keep a close watch on my credit card charges. Thankfully I can do that daily online!

*ETA I have removed the amounts that the credits were for because my paranoid self wonders if the company can somehow track who we are by the varying amounts they refund.

--------------------
I love dairy! Does that mean I can't be a vegan?

Posts: 1569 | From: Upstate NY | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Methuselah
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Methuselah     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
There seems to have been a case, Shea vs. Household (the company that issues GM MasterCard), over the timeliness of processing payments.

It appears that there was a $16 million settlement payed to holders of credit cards issued by Household.

It also appears that the suit was filed through the law offices of Strange & Carpenter out of Los Angeles. http://www.strangeandcarpenter.com/

The specific case was Shea, et al. v. Household Bank (SB), National Association, OCSC Case No. OOCC12585.

--------------------
"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." - G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 1514 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Eve MG
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eve MG   Author's Homepage   E-mail Eve MG   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you, thank you, thank you, Methuselah!! I was trying to ask the rep if it had something to do with GM, since no one else would be able to just credit my account like that, but she had no information. I will go post this over at the blog comments, too.

The processing time issue doesn't surprise me. My last payment was due on the 5th - a Sunday. They received and posted it on the 6th, yet still charged me a $29 late fee and $10+ finance charge (I always pay my balance in full so I never pay finance charges). I called and complained and they did remove them, though.

So - let's not waste a perfectly good thread. I'm still curious if "Paul's" comments above are at all accurate. Do scammers ever try to post a small refund, something you wouldn't argue with, to see if the credit card number works? I tried the main snopes site and didn't see anything like that, although it sounds familiar, like I've read it here before.

--------------------
I love dairy! Does that mean I can't be a vegan?

Posts: 1569 | From: Upstate NY | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Larararara
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Larararara     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Scammers couldn't check to see if your card was valid via a refund. A refund is considered an "offline" transaction, because it doesn't need an approval code to be processed. It's just sent out in a company's overnight settlement.

Scammers generally will post a charge, or simply an authorization of $1 or less (often 1 cent) to thousands of cards at once, knowing the ones that get approval codes are valid.

Also, anyone can post a credit to your credit card account, in much the same way anybody can make a deposit to your checking account. They only need the number.

ET clarify: Anyone with a credit card acceptance account, that is.

(and to fix terrible spelling. Never post while hopped up on cough medicine!)

--------------------
I used to be a snopester...but my old login has gone the way of the legendary stolen kidneys.

Posts: 13 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
azgurl
HAPPY NEW YEARS TO U & U &U

Icon 205 posted      Profile for azgurl   E-mail azgurl       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I also had this on both of my cards here is my resopnse from household:
We understand your concern regarding the Shea Class Action Litigation
Settlement credit.

The credit is part of the settlement for a class action law suit. If you
would like information about the settlement itself, please contact the
attorneys for the class at lacounsel@earthlink.net or by mail at Strange &
Carpenter, 12100 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1900, Los Angeles, CA 90025.

We regret any confusion caused by this matter.

Sincerely,

Primary E-mail queue for Collections department
Household Bank Customer Care

Posts: 1 | From: Arizona | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
tagurit
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tagurit   E-mail tagurit   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
So, the cardholders got less than a dollar? And the law offices of Strange & Carpenter that filed the suit, what'd they get?

--------------------
Explore, enjoy and protect the planet
---
AAMAH

Posts: 8532 | From: Michigan | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages