snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Non-UL Chat » Business Bytes » Pantyhose Sales Hit Major Snag (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Pantyhose Sales Hit Major Snag
Echinodermata Q. Taft
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Echinodermata Q. Taft   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It's not a great time to be in the pantyhose business.

It wasn't long ago that they were a staple in a career woman's wardrobe. Now, sheer hosiery faces an even a bigger snag -- more than a decade of declining sales.

http://www.koat.com/money/10507368/detail.html

--------------------
http://eqtaft.blogspot.com

Hope for the future! http://www.runobama.com

Posts: 3218 | From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cervus
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cervus   E-mail Cervus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Good. Pantyhose are Teh Ebil and must be destroyed at all costs. I have never known a woman who enjoys wearing them.

(Of course, now at least three women [and/or cross-dressers] will post about how much they like pantyhose...)

--------------------
"There is no constitutional right to sleep with endangered reptiles." -- Carl Hiaasen
Won't somebody please think of the adults!

Posts: 8254 | From: Florida | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spam & Cookies-mmm

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spam & Cookies-mmm   E-mail Spam & Cookies-mmm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I like pantyhose. They keep my thighs from jiggling. How can you not like the dejigglifying properties of the pantyhose? [Wink]

I heard some people discussing this at work today. One lady was blaming it on the HBO show 'Sex in the City', because supposedly, the regulars on that show never wear pantyhose, and any guests or extras are not allowed to wear pantyhose whether they want to or not. (I have no idea if this is true.)

--------------------
Did you see the Announcement?
There's a new snopes message board!

Posts: 7767 | From: Paradise Ceded | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Avril
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Avril     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I like pantyhose. They make shoes more comfortable when you don't want to wear socks.

Avril

--------------------
There is no failure unless one stops. --Ray Bradbury

Posts: 2115 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
pirateslife
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pirateslife   Author's Homepage   E-mail pirateslife   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't care for pantyhose, but they are a must in humid Memphis summer weather- I'd have rub burn on my thighs if it weren't for the smoothing qualities of panty hose. Of course, I could work out until I'm skinnier, but... I'm lazy. Pantyhose are also useful for one of my favorite pair of pants, since the pants are very itchy and cannot be comfortably worn without pantyhose. Other wise, pantyhose is teh ebil. It rips and tears at the slightest provocation.

--------------------
If the world were logical, men would ride sidesaddle. -Mama

I won't ask "Am I weird?" because that ship sailed long ago. -Kahuna Burger

Posts: 394 | From: Memphis, TN | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Eve MG
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eve MG   Author's Homepage   E-mail Eve MG   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The company said it's working on product innovations and is trying to take advantage of current fashion trends. But it admits there's little it can do about the sales decline until fashion trends turn in its favor.
I agree with Cervus, but if they won't destroy them all, I can think of a few things the companies can do - make them thicker and less likely to run, more silky, and make more of the suspender-style (like garters and stockings all in one).

Oh and destroy all control-top pantyhose. They are Teh Ebil Squared.

--------------------
I love dairy! Does that mean I can't be a vegan?

Posts: 1569 | From: Upstate NY | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
pirateslife
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pirateslife   Author's Homepage   E-mail pirateslife   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Of course, the last time I wore pantyhose was on my honeymoon, four months ago. But I'll probably wear it on Friday for DH's company Christmas party.
I love that the article called flip-flops "flip-slops". That cracks me up.

--------------------
If the world were logical, men would ride sidesaddle. -Mama

I won't ask "Am I weird?" because that ship sailed long ago. -Kahuna Burger

Posts: 394 | From: Memphis, TN | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spam & Cookies-mmm

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spam & Cookies-mmm   E-mail Spam & Cookies-mmm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Eve MG:

[Roll Eyes]

We must not discount the dejigglification.

--------------------
Did you see the Announcement?
There's a new snopes message board!

Posts: 7767 | From: Paradise Ceded | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cervus

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cervus   E-mail Cervus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Spam, don't pantyhose get hot for you in FL?

--------------------
"There is no constitutional right to sleep with endangered reptiles." -- Carl Hiaasen
Won't somebody please think of the adults!

Posts: 8254 | From: Florida | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jenn
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jenn   E-mail Jenn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I like and wear hose, both in pantyhose form and as stockings with garter belts (the latter being a pain to get into but more comfortable to wear, IMO). They have a flattering effect on my legs and make dress shoes more comfortable. If the skirt is shorter and the chairs are going to be plastic or similar pantyhose are great at avoiding sticking. Pirateslife, I can tell you from experience being skinnier doesn't help that particular kind of chafing when one is in a skirt. There's still friction and it's not pleasant on hot days.

I don't often wear sheer stockings, though, unless it's a dressier occasion. I prefer to wear coloured tights. Pink, blue, argyle, fishnets or with other patterns woven into the fabric. Far more interesting.

--------------------
"You're the opposite of troll. It's a compliment!"

Posts: 12086 | From: Alberta | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Auntie Witch

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Auntie Witch   Author's Homepage   E-mail Auntie Witch   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
[QUOTE] and make more of the suspender-style (like garters and stockings all in one).

Here is an ebay auction for Vassarette garter pantyhose. I got a pair at Walmart. They make another type that is basically a waist band, and four strips of lace down to the hose, also by Vassarette. I tried finding links, but I'm not having an easy time searching today, for some reason.

--------------------
"Feel my head! I feel like a puppy!" -My mother
October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month!
Myspace about my mom, kids

Posts: 3289 | From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dear Babby
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dear Babby     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I also have the heartbreak of the rub-together thighs but I think cotton bike-style shorts are a much better option under dresses in hot climates.
Posts: 326 | From: Hawaii | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
violetbon
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for violetbon   E-mail violetbon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Spam & Cookies-mmm:
quote:

[Roll Eyes]

IMHO, all effects of dejigglification are null and void due to the dejiggled part being shoved up over the excessively tight waistband, resulting in a jiggling mass of overflow, which looks even worse than the original jiggle. Whew.
Posts: 193 | From: Seymour, Indiana | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Echinodermata Q. Taft

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Echinodermata Q. Taft   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It's one of those interesting things that changes over time. My Mom thought that pantyhose were a terrific invention, because she went through many years of having to wear a garter belt and stockings every day, and she found pantyhose much less of a hassle and more comfortable. Whereas most women I know of my generation and younger seem to consider them at best a necessary evil. Well, I've also read that when hoopskirts were introduced, women considered them tremendously liberating. If this seems mysterious, contrast them with the multiple layers of petticoats they replaced.

(As a crossdresser, I can say that I disliked pantyhose a lot at first, until I actually found some that fit reasonably well. After that I liked them much better.)

The interesting thing to me is that many of the women in my social group will say that they would wear skirts and dresses more often, if they didn't have to wear hose and heels with them. Yet these days I think less than half of the women I see in skirts are wearing hosiery, particularly in warm weather, and flat shoes of various sorts with them aren't too uncommon either (though admittedly, tennis shoes with a skirt are still considered odd, except for women walking for excercise in the middle of the workday). On the other hand, I also see a fair number of women wearing heels with their jeans, so go figure....

--------------------

Posts: 3218 | From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Echinodermata Q. Taft

quote:
Originally posted by violetbon:

IMHO, all effects of dejigglification are null and void due to the dejiggled part being shoved up over the excessively tight waistband, resulting in a jiggling mass of overflow, which looks even worse than the original jiggle. Whew.

Um....she said they stopped her thighs from jiggling....

--------------------

jessboo
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jessboo     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I hate tights. Hate hate hate them. They're always falling down, and I often get a sudden need to just get them OFF, NOW. Much prefer hold-ups or stockings.

--------------------
Join me on Lost - www.lost.eu/edcf

Do you have any wine? All of this would go a lot smoother in an altered state of reality.

Posts: 779 | From: Southampton, England | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lydia Oh Lydia

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lydia Oh Lydia   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I like pantyhose when I'm wearing a dress or a skirt. I like the degiggling effect, the comfort in shoes, and the overall look. To me, a dressy outfit (even if it's a business suit) looks more polished and put together with pantyhose. Plus, they're at least a thin barrier against the wind in cold weather.

ETA: But I really only like certain kinds of pantyhose. I'm fairly particular. Some of them don't have enough support (or whatever) and get saggy. I hate those.

--------------------
"My name is the symbol for my identity and must not be lost." Motto of the Lucy Stone League.

Posts: 1815 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jessboo:
I hate tights. Hate hate hate them. They're always falling down, and I often get a sudden need to just get them OFF, NOW. Much prefer hold-ups or stockings.

[hijack]I know that "tights," in the UK, is the same as "pantyhose" in North America. But what do people in the UK call the things we call tights, IOW, the things that dancers wear with leotards (and that many women wear with skirts)?[/hijack]

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Eddylizard
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eddylizard     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lainie:
quote:

[hijack]I know that "tights," in the UK, is the same as "pantyhose" in North America. But what do people in the UK call the things we call tights, IOW, the things that dancers wear with leotards (and that many women wear with skirts)?[/hijack]
Tights.

--------------------
"Ladies and gentlemen, this is what is commonly known as money. It comes in all sizes, colours, and denominations - like people."

Posts: 997 | From: Maidstone, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Eddylizard:
quote:
quote:

Tights.
Then how does one distinguish between them? In the US, at least, they're really quite different items, in terms of material, construction, fit and appearance. I know many women who despise pantyhose but like wearing tights.

--------------------

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
The Sultana of Beetroot
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 604 posted      Profile for The Sultana of Beetroot   E-mail The Sultana of Beetroot   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
These things?
 -

We always called them leggings at school...

--------------------
Be Somebody or Be Sombody's Fool

Posts: 41 | From: England | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Gibbie
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gibbie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
No, more like these.

They wear like pantyhose but are usually opaque and of a thicker material.

Gibbie

--------------------
If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.

Posts: 3993 | From: Indiana | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
jessboo
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jessboo     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
They just look like tights, but a thin denier. There are also dance tights, which are really thick and shiny, usually in 'American Tan'.

--------------------

Do you have any wine? All of this would go a lot smoother in an altered state of reality.

Posts: 779 | From: Southampton, England | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ana Ng
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ana Ng   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I wear tights but avoid pantyhose with a fevered passion.

C'mon girls, we're so close! If we just abstain for that much longer, they'll go out of business and people will stop requiring them!

I went on a date a few weeks ago and my pantyhose made it approximately 300 feet before I stripped off and chucked them in the bathroom. Feckin' torture devices, those things. And unflattering, too! And believe you me, I can jiggle with the best of them.

Pantyhose should have been burned before bras!

--------------------
My great grandfather planted that tree!

Posts: 4862 | From: Brooklyn | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
jessboo
The First USA Noel

hold on, what's the difference between tights and pantyhose? why are tights ok to wear but pantyhose not?

--------------------

Tzarina
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tzarina     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, some of us like pantyhose. I find a business suit without pantyhose looks unprofessional. Summer or winter if my skirt is not at least mid-calf length, I wear hose.

I like them. No, they aren't the most comfortable thing I own, but I like how they look and I prefer a more polished appearance.

ETA: As far as being flattering, if you are willing to pay for good hose, you will find hose that are less likely to run, will stand up to washings and will fit better and look great. Drug store or Wal-Mart pantyhose are cheap and fit that way. Hose from a good department store are really worth the money.

Posts: 1359 | From: Akron, Ohio | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Eddylizard
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eddylizard     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
hold on, what's the difference between tights and pantyhose? why are tights ok to wear but pantyhose not?

According to the great Wiki pantyhose is anything up to 40 denier. 40 denier and above are tights.

--------------------
"Ladies and gentlemen, this is what is commonly known as money. It comes in all sizes, colours, and denominations - like people."

Posts: 997 | From: Maidstone, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Eve MG
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eve MG   Author's Homepage   E-mail Eve MG   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Auntie Witch:
Here is an ebay auction for Vassarette garter pantyhose. I got a pair at Walmart. They make another type that is basically a waist band, and four strips of lace down to the hose, also by Vassarette. I tried finding links, but I'm not having an easy time searching today, for some reason.

I have mostly the waistband/four strips kind you mentioned, and I like them, but they are never as strong and silky as I wish they were. Even the same company will make the thicker kind (not quite tights) in pantyhose but not the suspender style. Frederick's of Hollywood has nice silky ones, but they're not that strong, and they're $18-$20.

TMI question for the women... do you get yeast infections and the like from wearing pantyhose? That's the main reason I hate them so much, and prefer the garter style.

--------------------
I love dairy! Does that mean I can't be a vegan?

Posts: 1569 | From: Upstate NY | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snapdragonfly

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snapdragonfly     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I like pantyhose or tights that fit.

The ones that give me baggycrotch drive me NUTS!!! ARG, there's nothing worse, unless it's too-tight waistbands that roll down and bite into my only very slightly fleshy waist. I mean, I only really have a few extra pounds on me - hose shouldn't fit me so poorly. Maybe I'm just wearing the wrong size, but I am going by their charts.

As far as the look - I don't understand how it is that pasty white legs, with spider veins, bruises, choice between stubble or razor burn (and don't even dare to suggest waxing, NFingW, too expensive and painful) and the fluffiness/jiggly factor, has come to be considered more attractive than hose.

Unless one has perfectly toned, tanned, sleek, muscular, trim legs, in which case, I put out my tongue at you, but the other 98 percent of us frankly DO look more polished with at least a sheer layer of nylon. In my opinion.

--------------------
"Wolves, dragons and vampires, man. Draw the nut-bars like big ol' nut-bar magnets." ~evilrabbit

(snurched because one of my nutbar family members is all about wolves and another one is all about dragons...)(with apologies to surfcitydogdad)

Posts: 2397 | From: Texarkana, TX | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DawnStorm

Icon 206 posted      Profile for DawnStorm   E-mail DawnStorm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dear Babby:
I also have the heartbreak of the rub-together thighs but I think cotton bike-style shorts are a much better option under dresses in hot climates.

That's what I do during the summer--there's no way in God's green earth I'm going to wear tights in the summer!
I've been wearing tights for a few years now--IMO they're much better than hose. Much more comfortable and durable.

--------------------
Leashes?! We don't need no stinking leashes!!

Posts: 4771 | From: The Berkeley of the East Coast: Montgomery County MD | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Phaedra
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Phaedra   E-mail Phaedra   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well I learned something today. I had no idea that anything above 40 denier is classified as tights and anything below pantyhose. I've always seen any of the all in one horrors labelled as tights in the UK regardless of denier.

I hate the things. I'm only five feet tall (well almost) but my legs are quite long for my height so I rarely find a pair that fits right. Small sized tights end up with the crotch half way down my legs and the waistband on mediem ones reaches up to my boobs. I generally wear stockings or hold ups.

In the winter I used to wear very long socks secured above the knee with a garter band but I haven't been able to find a stockist for the past three years [Frown]

Posts: 589 | From: Oxfordshire, UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie

quote:

I'm not sure what the difference is in the UK, but in the US, the material and the fit are completely different. Tights are more durable, they allow more ease of movement, and personally I find them far more comfortable. They're also warmer.

I can't link to any pix from work, and I'm not sure they'd help. I'd almost have to send you a sample of each.

--------------------

TurquoiseGirl
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TurquoiseGirl   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The one part of my body I will admit to liking is my lower legs. Due to the amount of walking I do and probably some basic phenotypic contribution, they are well toned. I think I look better in pantyhose than tights, although I agree tights are much more comfortable, because the definition is more defined. I have considered thigh-highs but am wondering how well they stay up.

One of my main pet peeves is that almost all pantyhose in larger sizes are control top-- which do nothing but squish the bits you are trying to control out the top. I decided long ago that if I am buying "D" sized panty hose, no amount of control is going to allow me to fit into a size 4, so why go through the torture?

In the summer I go with out, depending upon the style of shoe. I have naturally tanned legs.

--------------------
There are people who drive really nice cars who feel that [those] cars won't be as special if other people drive them too. Where I come from, we call those people "selfish self-satisfied gits." -Chloe

Posts: 6995 | From: New Mexico | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DawnStorm

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DawnStorm   E-mail DawnStorm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
but in the US, the material and the fit are completely different. Tights are more durable, they allow more ease of movement, and personally I find them far more comfortable. They're also warmer.

Damn straight!!

--------------------
Leashes?! We don't need no stinking leashes!!

Posts: 4771 | From: The Berkeley of the East Coast: Montgomery County MD | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Aud
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aud   E-mail Aud   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
They make a crappy product so people stop buying it. What's the mystery there? Somewhere along the line hose became a single use item. No one has time for that. Even the better brands became less durable.

When I am willing to fork over money because of a special occasion I have trouble finding something that fits. Here's a clue - not all big women want control tops.

I don't mind the idea of hose I just think the manufactuers left real women behind.

Posts: 1168 | From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages