snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Non-UL Chat » Business Bytes » Bag check at store exit makes shoppers see red (Page 0)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Bag check at store exit makes shoppers see red
AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The 4th Amendment of the US Constitution applies to the government. The rights owners of private property posess are pretty strong here, including the right to conduct such a search.

--------------------
"When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty."--George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 19266 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jonny T
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jonny T   Author's Homepage   E-mail Jonny T   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
They refused to pay so I refused the bag search. They threatened to have me arrested I told them where I was Parked and to get my liscense # and I would enjoy chatting with the police about False Imprisonment. As they have no legal ability to search my bag or the cart my grocieries are in. As usual nothing happened.
Yes they do.

I may be wrong on this but AFAIK you can pretty much forget any idea of "rights" beyond the most basic (freedom from violence etc.) the moment you step into private property. People who would shudder at the thought of the government videoing their every movement, monitoring their e-mails, or performing random searches seem to shrug and accept it when it comes from business. This always bewildered me.

--------------------
Hello, I love you - won't you tell me your name?
Hello! I'm good for nothing - will you love me just the same?

Greetings from the dark side...

Posts: 2731 | From: York/Reading, England | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mad Jay
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mad Jay     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by 3rdshifter:
I have a problem with this at Costco as the people at the doors are usually rude. The other day I walked into Costco with my 4 month old daughter and her diaper bag. I was told at entry they might check my bag when I left. I ignored them and when I left after checking my receipt they told me they needed to check her diaper bag I responded thats fine but first I need $25.00. They just looked at me and said "What?" I repeated I would need $25.00 that this was the fee I charged to rummage through my personal property. As I had no idea where their hands had been and anything in the bag they touched I would have to throw away or re-sterilize.

Rock on, dude!! How much do you charge the airport for running the bag through the XRay?

--------------------
Nico Sasha
In between my father's fields;And the citadels of the rule; Lies a no-man's land which I must cross; To find my stolen jewel.

Posts: 4912 | From: VA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Finite Fourier Alchemy
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Finite Fourier Alchemy   E-mail Finite Fourier Alchemy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Floater:
quote:
Originally posted by AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr:
I think you may have a mistaken idea about what the law is. They actually do have the right to inspect parcels coming into and out of their private property.

If your laws are anything like Swedish law, perhaps not (in Sweden police officers may search you provided that 1) There has been an actual crime where the minimum punishment is prison, 2) You must be a prime suspect of this actual crime and 3) They have a search warrant issued by a court of law, a prosecutor or a senior police officer in charge of an investigation. They may search you without a warrant if there is risk that you may hide evidence if not searched at once).

It works about the same way in the US. (ETA: That only law enforcement officers have "right" to search under certain conditions specified by law, as they are tasked by the State to serve that purpose. Intricacies of probable cause, reasonable suspicion, warrants, etc. would make a thread of its own and are tangental to this discussion.)

- Store has a right to ask for permission to search, and may search when that permission is granted.

- If permission is not granted, store has right to use such threats as banning a person from the store, which the store, as a property owner, can do at its own discretion.

- If permission is not granted, store has right to call police and detain the person on the premeses until police arrive so long as there is reasonable suspicion that the person is stealing something. But refusal to submit to search is not in itself evidence of wrongdoing, so even if the store was stupid enough to try this - I've never heard of it happening - there's really nothing the police can do.

That's about it. Stores don't get police powers, aside from the limited right to detain suspected shoplifters, and even then under very specific conditions, violation of which opens the store to serious civil and criminal liability. People in America have civil rights which do not disappear simply because we're on someone else's property.

It's unfortunate that my fellow Americans feel otherwise, and it's this ignorance that makes bag-check policies feasible.

--------------------
Thinking about New England / missing old Japan

Posts: 2603 | From: Virginia | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
If I have a problem with my bags being checked, I simply do not enter someone else's private property...

--------------------
"When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty."--George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 19266 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Finite Fourier Alchemy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Finite Fourier Alchemy   E-mail Finite Fourier Alchemy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
If I have a problem with my bags being checked, I simply do not enter someone else's private property...

If the owner of that property has a problem with my refusal to have my personal property searched, he can ask me to leave and I am legally obligated to do so...

If I invite you to my home I can't force you to do things just because you're on my property. My only right as a property owner is to ask you to leave, and to call the police to forcefully remove you if you refuse.

--------------------

Posts: 2603 | From: Virginia | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr

I do not believe I have made any claims counter to that, FFA.

--------------------

TurquoiseGirl
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TurquoiseGirl   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Curiously, I don't mind it at Costco. The checkers are really friendly about it and on one occasion, they found that I had been charged for two of something I only had one of.

It does bother me at Best Buy. I guess it's a combination of the check being right near the cashier, where you could be seen paying for your merchandise, being put off by asking repeatedly if I want to buy some sort of insurance on my item (Clie styli? Are you kiddig?" and the fact that it is usually before the big metal/magnetic detector thingy.

Also, there is something different about someone looking in your cart and having to open a bag.

--------------------
There are people who drive really nice cars who feel that [those] cars won't be as special if other people drive them too. Where I come from, we call those people "selfish self-satisfied gits." -Chloe

Posts: 6995 | From: New Mexico | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Finite Fourier Alchemy

quote:
I do not believe I have made any claims counter to that, FFA.

Well, you said:

quote:
The 4th Amendment of the US Constitution applies to the government. The rights owners of private property posess are pretty strong here, including the right to conduct such a search.

Property owners have no right to search. They can ask. They can order a person to leave if he/she refuses. They can terminate a membership contract if applicable.

But the store never has a right to search. The Fourth Amendment does not protect us from *any* involuntary search and seizure from other citizens because when another citizen searches you against your will it is - depending on the situation - unlawful detainment, theft, assault, etc.

--------------------

AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr

My apologies for my brevity.

--------------------

3rdshifter
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 3rdshifter         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
So what happens when they search my diaper bag and find some diapers that they carry or some formula or anything else. I shop at costco and would have several of their items in my childs diaper bag. Doesnt mean i stole them but now they find them and accuse me of stealing now i have to prove i bought the items on a previous trip?

Secondly what in the heck does costco sell small enough to fit in a diaper bag? All the small big ticket items are locked away in a cage that you go to after you purchase the product to claim with your receipt. Other than that they sell in bulk thats why the baskets and carts are oversized.

And I have every right to charge a fee to inspect a bag or whatever. Time is money and its cheaper to pay the fee than make me look like a criminal when I have done nothing to look like one. And when I am found innocent they dont apologise. If i was a litigious person i could take them to court for False imprisonment / Unlawful detainment, Slandering my image etc.

Posts: 26 | From: Turlock, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rhiandmoi
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rhiandmoi   E-mail Rhiandmoi   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Have you ever had a problem with your diaper bag at Costco before?

--------------------
I think that hyperbole is the single greatest factor contributing to the decline of society. - My friend Pat.

What is .02 worth?

Posts: 8745 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cervus

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cervus   E-mail Cervus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
As they have no legal ability to search my bag or the cart my grocieries are in.
The cart is their property. While a valid argument can be made over whether or not it's right to search a customer's private property, the cart belongs to the store and thus they can do anything they want with it.

--------------------
"There is no constitutional right to sleep with endangered reptiles." -- Carl Hiaasen
Won't somebody please think of the adults!

Posts: 8254 | From: Florida | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rhiandmoi

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rhiandmoi   E-mail Rhiandmoi   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Things I could steal from Costco and put in a diaper bag:
Movies
CDs
Books
Software
Socks
Bacon
Cheese
Lotion
Makeup
Pens

--------------------
I think that hyperbole is the single greatest factor contributing to the decline of society. - My friend Pat.

What is .02 worth?

Posts: 8745 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TurquoiseGirl
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TurquoiseGirl   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
But would you have an entire 70 pound bale of Costco diapers in your bag? Or the 1 million count babywipes?

Seriously, I have gone to Costco before with neices and nephews before when they were at the diaper-bag needing stage of things and have never been searched.

--------------------
There are people who drive really nice cars who feel that [those] cars won't be as special if other people drive them too. Where I come from, we call those people "selfish self-satisfied gits." -Chloe

Posts: 6995 | From: New Mexico | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LongTimeLurker
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LongTimeLurker         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't mind having my bags searched. Only Wal-mart and Best Buy do this in my area and since I rarely go to either one, it isn't a big deal to me when it happens. I understand why stores have to do it; if it cuts down on theft, I'm all for it. I would certainly never become snippy with the employees for doing their jobs.
Posts: 50 | From: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
rocksong
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rocksong     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm a bit puzzled that there's a fuss about this.

Here, many stores have signs which say that a condition of entry to the store is that your bags may be searched. So if you don't like it, don't go in the store with your bags, or shop somewhere else. Simple.

Posts: 225 | From: Adelaide, Australia | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jenn
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jenn   E-mail Jenn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
And I have every right to charge a fee to inspect a bag or whatever. Time is money and its cheaper to pay the fee than make me look like a criminal when I have done nothing to look like one. And when I am found innocent they dont apologise. If i was a litigious person i could take them to court for False imprisonment / Unlawful detainment, Slandering my image etc.

But you agreed to having your bags searched as soon as you accepted the membership. The Costco membership agreement states:

quote:
Costco reserves the right to inspect any container, backpack, briefcase, etc., upon entering or leaving the warehouse.
By accepting the membership you indicated that you agreed with and would comply with all parts of the membership agreement, including bag searches. Why did you accept the membership if you objected to bag searches? Did you even read the user agreement when you signed on? Why do you still shop there when you so strongly disagree with part of their membership agreement?

--------------------
"You're the opposite of troll. It's a compliment!"

Posts: 12086 | From: Alberta | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Salamander

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Salamander   E-mail Salamander   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ahhh... the days of my retail traineeship.

I have no comment on US law but as the law pertains to Australian citizens, most retail stores do, in fact, list the right to ask permission to inspect any bags you may carry before you leave the store.

That right is listed in the "Conditions of Entry" which the store must display. It doesn't even need to be prominently displayed, just as long as it is visible (they can't hide it, basically). You don't have to verbally agree or sign anything... by entering the store you have agreed to the conditions.

As the customer, you have every right to refuse permission for the search. In which case the store has the right to detain you until a police officer arrives to carry out the search.

During my traineeship, a police officer gave a lecture on what we could or could not do in these sorts of situations. We were told that we could actually physically restrain a customer if they refused to be detained, although he suggested to hold them by their clothing rather than by their person.

So, in Australia at least, you can expect that your bag will be searched. If you don't like that, you can expect to be detained until a police officer is available to do the search. Being an asshat about it does not make you right, it makes you an asshat.

If it is such a big concern, then you could probably call ahead to various stores to find out what their conditions of entry are before you enter... or simply avoid shopping.

--------------------
"victory thru self-deception"

Posts: 2211 | From: Western Australia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sylvanz

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sylvanz   E-mail Sylvanz   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I worked at K-Mart for a couple of years. We were told to never, under any conditions try to detain or restrain anyone. We were to call our security person and watch the person under suspicion until security arrived. Most of the time if we could get a person to surrender the object without confronting them we did. K-Mart just wanted their stuff not a law suit. Litigation was a number one concern.

As far as I know in the states a retailer cannot detain a person unless they have very very good evidence that this person actually stole something. For example security video, finding merchandise on the customer after seeing the lifting incident.

[hi-jack]Here's a good one that really happened when I managed Lay-a-way: This woman claimed to have picked a VCR up in lay-a-way with no lay-a-way bag or receipt prominently stapled on the box, and had actually asked the person in electronics to get the VCR down from the overhead about five min. before being stopped while breezing past the check out. Oh and she had cigarettes too! She claimed to have had cigarettes on lay-a-way. [Roll Eyes] [/hi-jack]

Refusing a bag search is most definitely not something that K-Mart would detain someone for. Nor should they. I believe we were told it's criminal, not to mention that it could potentially be a lawsuit from heaven for the detainee.

P&LL, Syl

--------------------
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. — Voltaire

Posts: 1944 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Salamander

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Salamander   E-mail Salamander   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Which is why I framed my response in terms of how I understand things work in Australia [Smile]

I've no idea what, if any, parallels there are between US law and Australian law in regards to the rights of citizens in stores.

Oh, the other thing to keep in mind is that none of my fellow trainees or I worked anywhere large enough to have internal security (or mall security, for that matter). I'm sure under those circumstances that the advice would've been "call security and let them deal with it".

As an aside, while I was out doing some Christmas shopping I was rather amazed at the number of times we heard "Security, please report to..." announced over the PA system. I think it was around once every 5 minutes or so.

Yet another aside... I often thought I'd like a job as plain-clothed security -- where you basically walk around and pretend to shop all day. Then I figured I'd end up spending all day in the electronics or toys department instead of wherever else I was supposed to be patrolling and that it probably wasn't such a good idea after all.

--------------------

Posts: 2211 | From: Western Australia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Finite Fourier Alchemy

quote:
So what happens when they search my diaper bag and find some diapers that they carry or some formula or anything else.

They can ask if you bought it there. They can hope that, if it is stolen, you panic and admit to shoplifting. That's about it.

The point of the searches is - so far as I know - to catch shoplifters with a guilty conscience. A lot of shoplifters will panic when verbally confronted.

Additionally, receipt checks are useful to stop employee theft - where a cashier will not run up some expensive items for a co-conspirator.

It apparently stops enough people to make it worthwhile to post someone there for some stores.

But it's still voluntary.

ETA: Costco can probably terminate your membership for any reason. I don't go to member stores so I have no idea how those contracts work.

--------------------

Mad Jay

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mad Jay     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jenn:
quote:

But you agreed to having your bags searched as soon as you accepted the membership. The Costco membership agreement states:

quote:
Costco reserves the right to inspect any container, backpack, briefcase, etc., upon entering or leaving the warehouse.
By accepting the membership you indicated that you agreed with and would comply with all parts of the membership agreement, including bag searches. Why did you accept the membership if you objected to bag searches? Did you even read the user agreement when you signed on? Why do you still shop there when you so strongly disagree with part of their membership agreement?

What?? But then she wouldn't be able to buy goods for cheap!!. Do you really expect a customer to shop for items at low prices without protesting about store policies that keep the prices low? That's un-American, Jenn!! Why do you hate America, Jenn? Why??

--------------------
Nico Sasha
In between my father's fields;And the citadels of the rule; Lies a no-man's land which I must cross; To find my stolen jewel.

Posts: 4912 | From: VA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
So what happens when they search my diaper bag and find some diapers that they carry or some formula or anything else. I shop at costco and would have several of their items in my childs diaper bag. Doesnt mean i stole them but now they find them and accuse me of stealing now i have to prove i bought the items on a previous trip?

Secondly what in the heck does costco sell small enough to fit in a diaper bag? All the small big ticket items are locked away in a cage that you go to after you purchase the product to claim with your receipt. Other than that they sell in bulk thats why the baskets and carts are oversized.

Your two points contradict each other.

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jenn
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jenn   E-mail Jenn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Finite Fourier Alchemy:
It apparently stops enough people to make it worthwhile to post someone there for some stores.

That's really it. Stores know that customers don't like bag and receipt checks and the employees don't particularly like having to do it. They know it's annoying and inconvenient and most stores do their best to streamline the process and be as friendly as possible about it.

If a store goes ahead with the searches, it means that it's saving them a whole lot of money. They wouldn't do it if it didn't work. Shoplifting and employee theft cost stores massive amounts of money. Prices may go up to compensate and the store may go out of business from the losses.

quote:
Mad Jay wrote:
That's un-American, Jenn!!

Good reason for that [Smile]

--------------------

Posts: 12086 | From: Alberta | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
bufungla

Icon 18 posted      Profile for bufungla   Author's Homepage   E-mail bufungla   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Salamander:
Ahhh... the days of my retail traineeship.

I have no comment on US law but as the law pertains to Australian citizens, most retail stores do, in fact, list the right to ask permission to inspect any bags you may carry before you leave the store.

That right is listed in the "Conditions of Entry" which the store must display. It doesn't even need to be prominently displayed, just as long as it is visible (they can't hide it, basically). You don't have to verbally agree or sign anything... by entering the store you have agreed to the conditions.

As the customer, you have every right to refuse permission for the search. In which case the store has the right to detain you until a police officer arrives to carry out the search.

During my traineeship, a police officer gave a lecture on what we could or could not do in these sorts of situations. We were told that we could actually physically restrain a customer if they refused to be detained, although he suggested to hold them by their clothing rather than by their person.

I recall the Big W in Canberra performing searches based on profiling, primarily by age (teenagers were predominantly the group most often stopped for searches). I doubt any US store could get away with profiling as blatant as that without being sued. Is that an issue at all in Australia?

quote:
Originally posted by Mad Jay:
Do you really expect a customer to shop for items at low prices without protesting about store policies that keep the prices low? That's un-American, Jenn!! Why do you hate America, Jenn? Why??

I suspect it's from the US Marines hanging the Canadian flag upside down during that Maple Leafs game ten years ago or so. [Wink]

buf 'doubt it's the South Park episode' ungla

--------------------
"Pardon him. Theodotus: he is a barbarian, and thinks that the customs of his tribe and island are the laws of nature."

George Bernard Shaw, Caesar and Cleopatra

Posts: 4847 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jenn
Layaway in a Manger

quote:
Originally posted by bufungla:
I suspect it's from the US Marines hanging the Canadian flag upside down during that Maple Leafs game ten years ago or so. [Wink]

Unless it happened again you've got the wrong sport. It was the Toronto Blue Jays in the World Series in 1992 or 1993 (I remember what class I was in when it happened, but not which team it was against).

--------------------

bufungla

Icon 18 posted      Profile for bufungla   Author's Homepage   E-mail bufungla   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by bufungla:

Unless it happened again you've got the wrong sport. It was the Toronto Blue Jays in the World Series in 1992 or 1993 (I remember what class I was in when it happened, but not which team it was against).
And I had the wrong year to boot. That's what I get for trying to post about a sport I know nothing about (which includes all of them except for NFL, cricket and Aussie Rules).

buf 'so does that mean I was right? [Wink] ' ungla

--------------------
"Pardon him. Theodotus: he is a barbarian, and thinks that the customs of his tribe and island are the laws of nature."

George Bernard Shaw, Caesar and Cleopatra

Posts: 4847 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
I'm 20th Century Fox
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for I'm 20th Century Fox   Author's Homepage   E-mail I'm 20th Century Fox   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It's never a bother for me if I'm expecting it. Such as at a Sam's. But some places do it sporadically, like the Wal-Marts here. And if I've already put my receipt in my wallet, then placed my wallet in my purse, and grabbed all the bags in my hands, and THEN find out they want to check my receipt, I can get very testy. I've even handed my bags to them ("here, hold this") while I fished for my receipt in my pocketbook. I don't think they liked that very much.

--------------------
When my chin is on the ground I pick myself up, dust myself off and start all over again.

Posts: 1765 | From: Greensboro, NC | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ica171
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ica171   E-mail ica171   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
When I worked at Wal-Mart, we were told in training that the only time we were allowed to detain someone upon leaving the store was a) if we had specifically seen them put something into their purse/pocket/coat/whatever and had then had an uninterrupted view of them as they left the store, or if b) the alarm went off. If the alarm went off and they had a bag, you looked there for stuff that hadn't been deactivated. If they didn't have a bag, you could ask them to stay until security arrived. If they kept walking, you weren't supposed to touch them or follow them any further than the outside of the store entrance. This was five years ago, so policies may have changed by now, but we were basically told that they'd rather ten people get away with their stuff than have one innocent person get accused and then sue them.

There is an antique mall here in town that DH and I go to sometimes, mostly just to browse but we have spent fair amounts of money there before. Judging by the number of customers that are there when we go in (zero) they should do as little as possible to alienate their customers.

Anyway, there is a sign on the door that says something to the effect of "Please don't bring bags in, if you do we'll search them when you leave." I've been there before, never been searched, and didn't really pay attention. The last time we went, we had both kids (aged two and one month at the time) with us in their strollers. We looked around, saw nothing worth anything, laughed at the ten year old Women's Circles that were being sold for $3 apiece, and went to leave. As we were getting ready to go out the door, the proprietor, who is on the phone making a sale, comes over and tells us that if we come back he'll have to search us. I was like, okay, whatever, no big deal. I had a big diaper bag, there's a lot of little knicknacky stuff around that could very easily be picked up. I didn't really mind. Then this guy says, "And the baby." Referring to my son in a carseat that had a carseat cover over him. I was so mad I saw red. We left and spent ten minutes loading the kids into the car and making our getaway [Roll Eyes] . As soon as DH and I both got into the car, he looked at me and said, "We are never going back there." I wholeheartedly agreed and said that I wished I'd have known it was my last chance to shoplift the same crap I can get for a quarter at the Goodwill.

I have no problem with you asking to see in my diaper bag; however, asking to search my baby just struck some chord in me. Should I ever find myself in need of an antique mall, I'll drive out of town to find a different one.

Posts: 384 | From: Iowa | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jenn
Layaway in a Manger

quote:
Originally posted by ica171:
Then this guy says, "And the baby." Referring to my son in a carseat that had a carseat cover over him. I was so mad I saw red.

Sadly, hiding things in strollers/carseats under babies or otherwise using small children is not an uncommon method of shoplifting.

--------------------

Finite Fourier Alchemy

quote:
Originally posted by Salamander:

Doesn't really work that way in the US. You don't legally agree to something just because an authority says you agree to it. Signs like those are good for informing customers of store policies but they aren't binding contracts which oblige customers to follow those policies.

quote:
In the US the police can't search a person just because another person wants him searched. There has to be evidence of a crime.

(I'm not saying US laws are better or worse or applicable to your case or anything; just comparing/contrasting.)

quote:
quote:
Then this guy says, "And the baby." Referring to my son in a carseat that had a carseat cover over him. I was so mad I saw red.

Sadly, hiding things in strollers/carseats under babies or otherwise using small children is not an uncommon method of shoplifting.
It's pretty miserable to see, yeah.

But I'm going to bet the shopkeeper was pissed at ica171 making fun of his crappy store and wanted to get a rise out of her. Typical behavior in the Strip Mall of the Damned.

Making vaguely threatening statements about someone's children (VE VILL ZEARCH ZE BAYBIEZ!) is not the sign of a shrewd businessman.

--------------------

ica171
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ica171   E-mail ica171   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I doubt he heard me making fun of anything, as the store is in a warehouse-sized building and the magazines were on the other side from where he was. I just pointed and said, "Look at that," to DH. In hindsight, I wish I had made the crack about wasting my last chance to steal Goodwill junk to him, but alas, my chance was wasted...

I also know that this guy has CCTV in the store, so he could probably see every move we made, and given that there was no one else he needed to watch, he probably did watch every move we made. We are a fairly young couple, not dressed terribly well (I don't wear my Gucci out to the grocery store) and I think he assumed things based on profiling. Whatever. You can look through my stuff if you're going to be an asshat about it, but don't touch my kids.

Posts: 384 | From: Iowa | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Salamander

quote:
I doubt he heard me making fun of anything, as the store is in a warehouse-sized building and the magazines were on the other side from where he was. I just pointed and said, "Look at that," to DH. In hindsight, I wish I had made the crack about wasting my last chance to steal Goodwill junk to him, but alas, my chance was wasted...

I also know that this guy has CCTV in the store, so he could probably see every move we made, and given that there was no one else he needed to watch, he probably did watch every move we made. We are a fairly young couple, not dressed terribly well (I don't wear my Gucci out to the grocery store) and I think he assumed things based on profiling. Whatever. You can look through my stuff if you're going to be an asshat about it, but don't touch my kids.

While I appreciate your annoyance, it's aimed at the wrong person. Who you really need to be annoyed at are the shoplifters who will use their babies to hide stolen goods.

I'm sure you'll find most retailers will happily stop inspecting prams, diaper bags, purses, shoulder bags, shopping bags, knapsacks and anything else the moment that they stop suffering major losses from shoplifting. We're already paying for it in our goods -- the security staff they employ (including the dreaded bag checkers) cost them money which inflates the price of the goods and they also factor shrinkage (theft, basically) into the costs as well.

--------------------

terralioness
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for terralioness   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

My few months of big retail were in a large store in Manhattan, and we were actually told during training to check strollers. I never saw anyone follow through with that. I'm sure it's done, and I actually did take my job seriously, so it bothered me that there was no graceful way to deal with that possibility.

It reminds me of the pregnant shoplifter story and the similar outrage attached to it.

--------------------
"I never liked Hemingway."
"I never liked you."

Posts: 543 | From: Brooklyn, NY | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages