snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Non-UL Chat » Business Bytes » Gift cards are not gifts (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Gift cards are not gifts
LizzyJingleBells
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 02 posted      Profile for LizzyJingleBells   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Article here.

Not sure if I agree with it or not. I kinda like 'em, but each to his own.

--------------------
Come on, come on, we were once upon a time in love
If the only prayer you say in your life is thank you, that would suffice. - Meister Eckhart My Blog

Posts: 7725 | From: Columbus, Ohio | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LyndaD
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LyndaD   E-mail LyndaD   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My MIL gives her 12 grandchildren gift cards. She chooses stores based on the child's age and interests. My kids love getting them, and look forward to going shopping after Christmas. We then go by Granny's house and show her what they got with their gift cards.
So I don't think they're all bad.

--------------------
I'll drive it ugly. You can't see the paint job when you're behind the wheel, anyway.

Posts: 570 | From: Central Valley, California | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Artemis
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Artemis   E-mail Artemis   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I disagree. I'd be happy to get a gift card to a store I liked. But then, I don't really have to deal with buying lots of gifts at this time of year, so perhaps my opinion should be taken with a grain of salt. I just always thought that people buying each other gifts around this time seems strange, in the end. It just seems like in the end, what's the point of getting someone something you know they don't need just because? And if you're both exchanging gifts...it just seems like everyone is sort of exchanging money in the end. So wouldn't it be more efficient for people to keep their money and spend it on themselves then to go around guessing what someone else wants? (All of these years of watching people haul ass to the stores has made me bitter and cynical, I apologize.)

--------------------
"You can't play Electro-magnetic Golf according to the rules of Centrifugal Bumble Puppy."
-Mustapha Mond, "Brave New World"

Posts: 679 | From: New York | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Logoboros
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Logoboros   E-mail Logoboros   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think the old axiom of buying a individual, specific gift because it shows you know something about the person and their interests has lost a lot of traction in the past decade or two, since interests have gotten a lot more specific. It's no longer grandkid X wants a train set; it's grandkid X wants games for his Nintendo DS, but not games he already owns and only games of a certain handful of genres.

Even the most wonderful, caring, involved grandparent could be forgiven for not being able to juggle all of the specific restrictions and requirements of a modern wishlist. We no longer have much of a market of generic gifts; we have thousands of choices from specific options. Even my mother, who knows my interests better than any other relative, relies on my Amazon wishlist rather heavily for choosing gifts.

Which is not to say that there are lots of great gifts you receive that aren't what you were asking for. But it's also far easier today to give a rotten or even useless gift because you misunderstood exactly what it was the person needed. My relatives know I like to read. But for everyone one book I got that I had never heard of and ended up loving, I probably got five or six that fit the generic description of "likes books" but weren't anything I was remotely interested in reading.

--Logoboros

--------------------
"If Men were Wise, the Most arbitrary Princes could not hurt them. If they are not wise, the Freest Government is compelld to be a Tyranny."

--William Blake

Posts: 1025 | From: Memphis, TN & Columbia, MO | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Starla
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Starla     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Think about it. Would a lover, in the flush of romance, lean close to the object of his affection and present … a gift card? Would proud grandparents present the latest addition to the family with … a gift card? Would your best and closest friend, the one you've known for years, who's stuck with you through the roller-coaster ride of life, walk into your hospital room and give you … a gift card?

(If the answer to any of those questions is yes, by the way, you need to start hanging with a better class of people.)

Well I guess my friends and loved ones are trashy!

Mr. S gave me a gift certificate of our anniversary and I found the gift quite a romantic gesture. He wanted me to splurge on myself at the local yarn shop but knew I'd never buy myself the heavenly silk yarn I'd been eyeing. So he gave me a ridiculously large gift certificate and I bought that silk. Every stitch I knitted made me think of how thoughtful the gift was.

My parents and in-laws gave us gift cards when our kids were born. They live several states away, so instead of trying to ship a large present they gave us gift cards with enough money on them to buy the gift they wanted us to have.

--------------------
This used to be the life, but I don't need another one.
MyBandwagon

Posts: 3254 | From: small town Texas | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
pirateslife
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pirateslife   Author's Homepage   E-mail pirateslife   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm mixed on this one. I love my friends, and there are some instances where I see something and say, "Ruth would LOVE that." That's why Ruth is getting a specific hand-picked-by-me present (her favorite movie themed shoulder bag and night light). I know she'll love them, and I know she doesn't have them. OTOH, browsing Amazon.com, I see a couple of DVDs that I'm pretty sure Kristin would love. However, I'm not sure that she doesn't already own them. Should I get them for her, hoping that she doesn't already own them because I know she'll never get around to returning them even if she does, and if she watches it and hates it then she just got a crappy gift? Or should I get her an Amazon.com gift certificate and tell her, "There were a couple of movies I thought you might like, but I wasn't sure if you wanted them or had them already." However, if a Kristin had had an amazon.com wishlist, then I'd have picked something off of that. Is using a wishlist also tacky? God forbid you give your nephew something he actually wants!

OTOH, if it's for a wedding, I'd either get something off the registry or be "tacky" and give cash. We have so many gift cards to Macy's it isn't funny, and we could use spare cash. And we have several very nice artsy space-hoggers that we have absolutely no place to put in our small apartment.

Sorry, this got longer than I intended.

ETA: not that I'm ungrateful for the gifts; they all were from people who cared about me and DH, it's just that now that I've been through it, I know what I will do for my friends who get married next.

--------------------
If the world were logical, men would ride sidesaddle. -Mama

I won't ask "Am I weird?" because that ship sailed long ago. -Kahuna Burger

Posts: 394 | From: Memphis, TN | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Simply Madeline
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Simply Madeline     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I give gift cards because that's what my friends and family want. I usually try to combine the card with a small gift. For example, my niece likes Urban Outfitters, so we got her a gift card, which I will put inside the cute coin purse I picked up there. Both my brother and SO's brother-in-law are in the process of doing some home renovation projects, so we got them Home Depot gift cards, along with those canvas tool aprons; the card will go in one of the pockets. For others who will be receiving gift cards (housekeeper, mailcarrier, dry cleaner, manicurist, etc.), I'm planning to put them in these, which can be re-used for storage.
Posts: 763 | From: Chicago | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay Temple

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Temple     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm quite happy to receive gift cards, but a well-chosen piece of merchandise means a lot more. My only tip: It's very poor form to give, as an anniversary gift, a gift card to a restaurant in an amount that will barely buy appetizers for two. (Yes, Mrs. T and I received that once.)

--------------------
"Well, it looks we're on our own ... again."--Rev. Lovejoy

Posts: 3572 | From: St. Louis, MO | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sara at home

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sara at home   E-mail Sara at home   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
(I posted this in another thread, but decided it works in this one too.)

After thinking about the whole gift card thing, I decided I'd rather just have the money.

ETA: I suppose I should give some reasons:
It kills me to buy something at one store when I know where I can get it cheaper.
The card may be for a store where I really don't like to shop or where they have nothing I want to buy.
In the course of my holiday shopping, I likely bought myself something I just loved but couldn't afford. I probably need the cash to cover that purchase. If that's the case, I use the cash for expenses and credit the giver with that very special item.
I hate any hassle that comes with activating, using by a certain date and keeping track of and using those last few dollars that so often occur with gift cards.
I think "mad money" that is just for me, that can use anywhere on anything anytime is one of the most delicious things in the world.

--------------------
Assume that all my posts will be edited at least once. Dyslexic -- can't spell, can't type, can't proofread.

Posts: 8317 | From: Reading, PA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Avril
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Avril     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think that gift cards are nicer than many things people give me, but it is true that I only give them as a cop out when I don't know a person yet feel obligated to give a gift--and even at that, I'd rather give something generic, such as chocolates or candles or something like that.

What is most disappointing is when you know someone has tried, yet has failed miserably. This is usually the case with my parents. I have a watch with a face the size of a small alarm clock and a tiger print band at least 1 1/2 inches thick which I have never worn, bought for me due to my comments about how my large hands mean that somewhat larger watches look better on me than the dainty little women's watches many women wear.

Sigh.

Avril

--------------------
There is no failure unless one stops. --Ray Bradbury

Posts: 2115 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Maddie
Rejoice, Rejoice, I've Found the Manuel!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Maddie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't think gift cards are trash-y at all. Of course, I asked for lots of gift cards this year [Big Grin]

I think gift cards work best for clothing stores & stores like Home Depot, because it gives the person more freedom to pick out what they want/need.

I personally like home-made gifts, but according to that other thread, that's in bad taste, too. [lol]

--------------------
"I'm sorry for your loss. Your mother was a terribly attractive woman." - Royal Tenenbaum

Posts: 44 | From: Harrisburg, PA | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
1958Fury
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1958Fury   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I like receiving them, because I know what I want better than other people. I hate giving them, because it makes me feel lazy. I do still give them out a lot, though. Some people are just too hard to shop for.

--------------------
I believe I'm growing skeptical of cynicism.
Myspace NWN Board

Posts: 917 | From: Nashville TN | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
girlreading
I Am Curious, Yellowtail

Icon 1 posted      Profile for girlreading     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm giving Mastercard gift cards to my niece and nephews this year. My sister (their mom) decided that they have too much "stuff" and asked that we not get them any more. Instead, she's taking them to Disneyland for Christmas. I got them the gift cards so they could buy souvenirs or whatever on their trip. It seemed like the most logical thing to do. Of course, I'm also going to get them small things to take along on the trip and keep them occupied; does that make me less "trashy"?
Posts: 2 | From: Salem, Oregon | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nick Theodorakis
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nick Theodorakis   E-mail Nick Theodorakis   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Speaking for myself, I love to get books, but unless you know my tastes well and what I already have, I would prefer a gift card to a bookstore. For me, browsing the store is almost as much fun as buring something from it.

Nick

--------------------
Don't forget to register for the New ULMB.

Announcement here

Posts: 1089 | From: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ariadne
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ariadne   E-mail Ariadne   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Put me down as another who loves gift cards. Like Nick mentioned, it is fun to just browse for something. It is a gift and an excuse to go out and spend time shopping for exactly what I want.

I don't give them very often, but I have given them to my brother (I never know what he wants) and to the associates who help in my classroom.

--------------------
saxea ut effigies bacchantis prospicit eheu | prospicit et magnis curarum fluctuat undis
-Catullus

Posts: 435 | From: Iowa | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
surfcitydogdad
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for surfcitydogdad     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I prefer a lot less obligatory gift-giving, but for the situations where gifts are expected, let's be realistic; gift cards may often be the best choice.

Food is usually good; everyone eats. My sister always gives me gift cards for Trader Joes, and I can then buy luxury items I might not always purchase with my regular groceries.

Most newlyweds prefer cash, do they not? Do many of them really want silver and all that crap?

I don't want other people buying me clothes (for one thing, I only wear blue, grey, and purple), or things I don't want or need, like ties or smelly aftershave (I'm strictly unscented).

Donate to charity or an environmental cause in my name, if you feel you must give a gift, and don't know what to do. I love chocolate, but I'm a snob, so it better be dark, and high quality, otherwise I'd rather pick it myself.

I have a hard time knowing what to get for some people, so gift cards may be the best I can do, if they're from the right company, and enable the recipients to get what they really want.

For my adult niece's birthday, I just send checks, but getting gifts for my sister is so hard! In her last several years, I was able to do things for my mom, like painting her garage door, rather than buying her stuff she didn't need.

My new girlfriend had never received flowers before, so I'm glad I could be the one to give them to her, and will continue to do so. I keep trying to take her to nice places, but she's such a cheap date, flowers might be the best I can do, for now.

It's wonderful to be creative when we can, but otherwise, why get stressed, when a reasonable alternative, like some kind of credit will do the trick?

Selecting gifts to give is so difficult for some of us, especially for some people (including me), so I hate to rule out any acceptable option based on old-fashioned rules of propriety. Many families have agreed to stop giving gifts, or to give to charity instead, and that's great.

If any of you ladies are wondering what your husbands really want, that's easy;
we want BJs.

--------------------
Only when we remake ourselves can we remake the world.
- Outer Limits (2001)

Posts: 559 | From: Santa Cruz, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Class Bravo

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Class Bravo     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think anyone who complains about a gift they get, whether it's a giftcard or something else, has far too much a sense of entitlement and doesn't deserve any gift at all. They don't HAVE to get anything, and it's troubling that we've gotten to a point where it is considered obligatory.

Granted, I haven't gotten a Christmas present in a few years (the last time I got a present was when I had a girlfriend during Christmas), but I was always happy to get a gift because that is exactly what it was--a gift. If wasn't exactly something that I'd been coveting or expecting that's OK because I was happy to receive it. That people are complaining about any gift they receive, whether it's a card or not, is sad.

Posts: 918 | From: Southern CA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sara at home

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sara at home   E-mail Sara at home   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by surfcitydogdad:

we want BJs.

So all you guys should just get together and exchange gifts.

--------------------
Assume that all my posts will be edited at least once. Dyslexic -- can't spell, can't type, can't proofread.

Posts: 8317 | From: Reading, PA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
MissEltoe

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MissEltoe     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Gift cards are like gift bags, IMO.

People used to wrap all gifts, with wrapping paper, or even the comics or the sports page.

Now it seems like it's just easier to throw something in a bag with (or without) tissue paper and be done with it.

Gift cards seem to be easier (not in all cases). Instead of picking something out, just go to whatever store and grab a gift card and be done with it.

Personally, I like gift cards. My sister is the hardest person in the world to shop for, so getting her a gift card is great because she can browse all day if she wants to. Then she can pick out exactly what she wants. I like them for myself because even if I want something that costs more than the amount of the card, I don't mind having to pay... It's like having a really good coupon!

--------------------
Licorice of the Lord! This is classy stuff...Should I be wearing a tie? Or, at least, pants?
~I'mNotDedalus

Posts: 975 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Aimee Evilpixie
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aimee Evilpixie   Author's Homepage   E-mail Aimee Evilpixie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, some people are simply wrapping-paper challenged. My little brother is one. He just can't seem to get the hang of folding the ends to get it to lie flat. I, on the other hand, used to randomly volunteer at mall gift wrapping stations because I love love love wrapping presents and making them super-fancy with bows and ribbon and assorted prettiness.

I dunno. Maybe it's a gene he missed out on.

Aimee "Only applies to those is two X chromasomes in my family?" Evilpixie

--------------------
Ugg want you find JESUS!

My website!

Posts: 1853 | From: Washington (The State) | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
surfcitydogdad
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for surfcitydogdad     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Touche. Good one Sara! But, I'll pass. I couldn't resist saying it though. I wondered for a few years how many rich guys have received a Hummer for their birthdays when that wasn't what they had actually requested. I'm not really an MCP - I just go for the cheap laugh - but good for you for responding thusly.

--------------------
- Outer Limits (2001)

Posts: 559 | From: Santa Cruz, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Morgaine La Raq Star
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Morgaine La Raq Star   E-mail Morgaine La Raq Star   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Dang it, I had a response all typed out & the thread got moved & it was lost. Here's the Cliff Notes version:

If someone wants a giftcard to a specific store & someone else knows they want it, wants to get them a gift & so they buy them a giftcard to that store, who loses? The giver is happy, the recipient is happy so I see it as a win/win.

True, I would not be thrilled with a giftcard to the local woodworking store but I'd love one to everyplace from Hobby Lobby to Family Christian to Target to Bath & Body Works. I'm very easy to please!

--------------------
I cannot live without books-Thomas Jefferson *~* A child educated only at school is an uneducated child - George Santayana
I'm going to pummel you with such zeal, Buddha will explode! *~* Never miss a good chance to shut up - Will Rogers

Posts: 6585 | From: Dallas/Fort Worth, TX | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
niner domestic actual
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for niner domestic actual   E-mail niner domestic actual   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
We have a small tradition with my friends for a post Holiday get-together which includes bringing any GC that you don't particularly care for the store or products the store sells and we put them up for a looney auction. The money raised from the auction goes to whatever charity we've decided on for that year and everyone goes home happy with GCs that they actually want. Last year I auctioned a GC for Home Sense and in return, bid on one from a garden store. We raised 2000 for a dog rescue.

So I'm poo poo-ing on the article saying it's in bad taste.

--------------------
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake. Napoleon Bonaparte

Posts: 47 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
surfcitydogdad
Jingle Bell Hock

That's a great idea, niner.

--------------------
- Outer Limits (2001)

Morgaine La Raq Star
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 220 posted      Profile for Morgaine La Raq Star   E-mail Morgaine La Raq Star   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Logoboros:
I think the old axiom of buying a individual, specific gift because it shows you know something about the person and their interests has lost a lot of traction in the past decade or two, since interests have gotten a lot more specific. It's no longer grandkid X wants a train set; it's grandkid X wants games for his Nintendo DS, but not games he already owns and only games of a certain handful of genres.

Even the most wonderful, caring, involved grandparent could be forgiven for not being able to juggle all of the specific restrictions and requirements of a modern wishlist. We no longer have much of a market of generic gifts; we have thousands of choices from specific options. Even my mother, who knows my interests better than any other relative, relies on my Amazon wishlist rather heavily for choosing gifts.

Which is not to say that there are lots of great gifts you receive that aren't what you were asking for. But it's also far easier today to give a rotten or even useless gift because you misunderstood exactly what it was the person needed. My relatives know I like to read. But for everyone one book I got that I had never heard of and ended up loving, I probably got five or six that fit the generic description of "likes books" but weren't anything I was remotely interested in reading.

--Logoboros

I completely agree with this. My parents & in-laws asks for lists for the kids every year & every year I have to get more & more detailed about what exactly they want. I set up an Amazon.com wishlist for my kids not because I'm greedy but because this way they can see a picture of which Mermaidia Barbie DD wants or the video game DS wants before they go to the store.
Its no longer 'a pair of Hopalong boots & a pistol that shoots' for Mike & Sam and 'a doll that will talk & go for a walk' might be the wrong walking, talking doll for Sarah & Hannah.

There's also the issue of distance. Not everyone goes to Grandmas house every year for Christmas anymore. Grandma may live 6 states away or even an ocean away. With postal rates & such, it may be more economical for Grandma to send a giftcard or at the least, send money to the parents & have them buy gifts.

--------------------
I cannot live without books-Thomas Jefferson *~* A child educated only at school is an uneducated child - George Santayana
I'm going to pummel you with such zeal, Buddha will explode! *~* Never miss a good chance to shut up - Will Rogers

Posts: 6585 | From: Dallas/Fort Worth, TX | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nonny Mouse, on Santa's laptop
Once in Royal Circuit City

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nonny Mouse, on Santa's laptop   Author's Homepage   E-mail Nonny Mouse, on Santa's laptop   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't like to give gift cards because for me half the fun of gift-giving is the quest for that perfect thing. I don't mind getting them, though, because then I get to go on a quest for the perfect thing for me. Provided, of course, that the giver put in enough thought to choose a card from a store I'd want something from. And frankly, if you're not going to put even that much thought into it, why bother buying me something at all?

Nonny

--------------------
When there isn't anything else worth analyzing, we examine our collective navel. I found thirty-six cents in change in mine the other day. Let no one say that there is no profit in philosophy. -- Silas Sparkhammer

Posts: 10141 | From: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
kitoboo
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kitoboo   E-mail kitoboo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
One Christmas a couple of years ago I was with my extended family of siblings and adult neice and nephew for dinner and gift giving. After I passed out the wrapped presents that I had shopped for I watched all the other adults hand out WalMart gift cards or cards with cash in them.

I usually don't have a big problem with gift cards but at that moment I was thinking it would make a whole lot of sense if we just all got out our wallets, took out a twenty and passed it to the left.

-kitoboo

Posts: 399 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
surfcitydogdad
Jingle Bell Hock

Good point, kitoboo. This sounds like one of those times a family counsel needs to be called and a volunteer suggests calling for an end to the gift-giving between the adults.

--------------------
- Outer Limits (2001)

Nonny Mouse, on Santa's laptop
Once in Royal Circuit City

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nonny Mouse, on Santa's laptop   Author's Homepage   E-mail Nonny Mouse, on Santa's laptop   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
In regards to kitoboo's post...getting a gift card from WalMart would send me a "this person couldn't even be bothered to figure out what category of present I might like" vibe.

Nonny

--------------------
When there isn't anything else worth analyzing, we examine our collective navel. I found thirty-six cents in change in mine the other day. Let no one say that there is no profit in philosophy. -- Silas Sparkhammer

Posts: 10141 | From: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
callee

Icon 1 posted      Profile for callee         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't normally give gift cards, for a couple reasons. One, for most people I give gifts to I do actually enjoy the game of searching for just the right gift; two, when it comes to doing that shopping, I also enjoy the game of finding absolutely the best price on that item. Gift cards, however, are for an amount, not a deal. You can never score a deal on a gift card!!

On the other hand, I much prefer to receive gift cards. I am extremely picky, not just about gifts, but about life in general. I never complain, but inside myself I have to say that not much feels worse than the disappointment and guilt of opening up a gift that is totally useless, you have no desire for, you might as well throw right into the garbage, and yet you know the person (probably) had such good intentions and high hopes. For example, just recently on my birthday mrs. callee was determined to surprise me with a shirt, and she searched so long and so hard to find just the perfect shirt for me, and so do you have any idea how wretchdly terrible I felt when I hated it? When I thought it was very ugly? I don't like feeling terrible, and I am sure the person giving the gift did not have that as their goal!

To help avoid this, I publish to mrs. callee a wish list, every year, that is that is extremely specific. People who want to get me a gift they can be confident I will appreciate and enjoy can call mrs. callee and consult the list. But for those who do not want to do that, a gift card is the best option, because otherwise the chances of getting something I will enjoy are next to nil.

I really don't mind at all to where the gift certificate is. Evem sorry nonny, walmart is fine. With a gift certificate to walmart I can go and get a bunch of little things that I need, no one of which would be enough to constitute a gift on its own. I could, for example, get a $50 walmart certificate and go and buy like 20 bottles of deodorant, and then have astounding peace of mind for the next year and a half of never having to worry that I might have run out! That would be a great gift!! But who can really just go and give someone else 20 bottles of deodorant? A gift certificate makes that gift possible.

--------------------
a moment for old friends now estranged, victims of the flux of alliances and changing perceptions. There was something there once, and that something is worth honoring as well. - John Carroll

Posts: 3375 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 07 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I think anyone who complains about a gift they get, whether it's a giftcard or something else, has far too much a sense of entitlement and doesn't deserve any gift at all. They don't HAVE to get anything, and it's troubling that we've gotten to a point where it is considered obligatory.
I always appreciate the generosity behind gift-giving, but I also feel uncomfortable receiving a gift from someone who doesn't know me well enough to pick out something specific.

In situations where generic gift-giving can't be avoided (like when everybody at the job picks a co-worker's name out of a hat), then I think gift cards are fine. But otherwise, I'd just as soon get nothing than have someone who isn't very close to me try to guess at a suitable present or resort to giving cash/gift certificates/gift cards.

To me, gift-giving is supposed to be "I picked out something special for a person who is special to me," not just an obligatory trading of monetary value with others.

- snopes

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Finite Fourier Alchemy
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Finite Fourier Alchemy   E-mail Finite Fourier Alchemy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sara at home:
quote:
Originally posted by surfcitydogdad:

we want BJs.

So all you guys should just get together and exchange gifts.
This reminds me of Secret Santa thing we had at work once . . .

. . . actually, I'd rather not talk about it . . .

--------------------
Thinking about New England / missing old Japan

Posts: 2603 | From: Virginia | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Venus
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Venus   E-mail Venus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I love gift cards. i still have a few left over from last xmas. but that's on purpose. I knew certain items would be coming out over the course of the year so i saved my gift cards spicifically. My target gift card got me Corpse Bride and Animaniacs Volume 2. My walmart gift card got me Over the Hedge, Ice Age 2, and Evanescence. So i got to have my xmas all year long.
Posts: 177 | From: Orlando, Florida | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Louise
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Louise   Author's Homepage   E-mail Louise   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The thing for me is that most gift cards I get are to Borders, and I love shopping there. Gift cards are convenient for the college student, because if you're giving presents in the dorm, it's not always easy to know what to get.
I know that I usually got gift cards from my friends for my b-days, but on my big 18, I got a lot of specialized presents. When you have certain milestones, you can do specialized presents, but if it's every year or Christmas, it's easier to get gift cards, especially if you have a lot of people to buy for.

--------------------
"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt." -- Mark Twain

Posts: 173 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Finite Fourier Alchemy
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Finite Fourier Alchemy   E-mail Finite Fourier Alchemy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It's weird that gift cards are impersonal but apparently Hallmark cards are okay. (?)

"My feelings for you are so shallow that I easily found a prewritten letter from a college dropout which summed up the complete insincerity of our relationship. Tens of millions of people are reading this same card on Christmas: that's how completely common and ordinary you are to me."

Hate 'em.

Blank cards to hold a long handwritten letter articulating my feelings: quite good.

Humor card: okay.

Flowery glurge recepticle: evil.

--------------------
Thinking about New England / missing old Japan

Posts: 2603 | From: Virginia | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages