snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Non-UL Chat » Business Bytes » British superstore sorry for filthy 'Christmas Time in Hell' song

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: British superstore sorry for filthy 'Christmas Time in Hell' song
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 107 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
British DIY superstore B and Q has apologised after staff blasted out the filthy song "Christmas Time in Hell" by Satan and the Damned on the soundsystem, shocking customers.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20061130/od_afp/britainchristmasretail_061130142802

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Freshman
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Freshman   Author's Homepage   E-mail Freshman   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
hhahhahahhahahh. Thought that was a southpark song

--------------------
"High-Five!" - Borat

Posts: 1056 | From: Racine, WI | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Pogue Ma-humbug
Happy Christmas (Malls are Open)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pogue Ma-humbug   E-mail Pogue Ma-humbug   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Freshman:
hhahhahahhahahh. Thought that was a southpark song

It is.

Pogue

--------------------
Let's drink to the causes in your life:
Your family, your friends, the union, your wife.

Posts: 11325 | From: Kentucky | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
jessboo
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jessboo     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Filthy? for goodness' sake. It has one reference to sex. You hear worse on the radio.

--------------------
Join me on Lost - www.lost.eu/edcf

Do you have any wine? All of this would go a lot smoother in an altered state of reality.

Posts: 779 | From: Southampton, England | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Hubert Cumberdale
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hubert Cumberdale   E-mail Hubert Cumberdale   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Come on, Satan is actually one of the nicest characters in South Park. They protray him as a sweet, slightly naive gay man who just wants friends. In fact you could even say that song is about how even bad people need a day off from being evil.
Posts: 835 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Errata
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Errata   E-mail Errata   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
They're just upset because it refers to Princess Diana in hell.
Posts: 2018 | From: Santa Barbara, California | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Neffti Noel
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Neffti Noel     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I was in B&Q with my toddler earlier this week.

I haven't heard the sond Christmas in Hell, but judging by the title it sounds quite apt.

Posts: 1157 | From: Westcountry UK "It's Bootiful" | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Artemis
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Artemis   E-mail Artemis   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
"Christmas should be a wonderful time for kids -- they shouldn't have to listen to filth."
Can't they do both? I don't think the two are mutually exclusive.

Then again, this is from a non Christian whose favorite seasonal songs are Everclear's "Hating You for Christmas" and Blink182's "Won't Be Home for Christmas"...

--------------------
"You can't play Electro-magnetic Golf according to the rules of Centrifugal Bumble Puppy."
-Mustapha Mond, "Brave New World"

Posts: 679 | From: New York | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Class Bravo

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Class Bravo     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jessboo:
Filthy? for goodness' sake. It has one reference to sex. You hear worse on the radio.

I would think that it's not necessarily swearing or other vulgarity that people would find most offensive in this song; rather the references to people that some hold near and dear (Princess Diana, JFK & JFK Jr.) being in hell.

On the flipside, any Christmas song that incorporates Jeffrey and Dahmer and Hitler into it really isn't going to do much for putting people into the Christmas mood.

Posts: 918 | From: Southern CA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Christie
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Christie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Artemis:
quote:
"Christmas should be a wonderful time for kids -- they shouldn't have to listen to filth."

Tell you what, your children can listen to anything you want. When you are running a business of your own you can also try to impose your musical tastes on your customers and hope they go along with it. In the meantime though you'll have to accept that not everyone wants "to listen to filth" least of all under the guise of Christmas music in a public place where a merchant is trying to get them to part with their money.

--------------------
If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, it's just possible you haven't grasped the situation. - Jean Kerr

Posts: 18428 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
jessboo
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jessboo     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Class Bravo:
quote:
Originally posted by jessboo:

I would think that it's not necessarily swearing or other vulgarity that people would find most offensive in this song; rather the references to people that some hold near and dear (Princess Diana, JFK & JFK Jr.) being in hell.

On the flipside, any Christmas song that incorporates Jeffrey and Dahmer and Hitler into it really isn't going to do much for putting people into the Christmas mood.

quote:

This guy's daughter is four years old- she won't understand it anyway. I could understand his concern if it had swearing in it, but it's not filth in the sense of something that will influence his daughter.

--------------------
Join me on Lost - www.lost.eu/edcf

Do you have any wine? All of this would go a lot smoother in an altered state of reality.

Posts: 779 | From: Southampton, England | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Class Bravo

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Class Bravo     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't think this is strictly about the chiiiiiiiildren though, as so many things these days tend to be. Won't someone think of the adults?

I think I would be a bit thrown off if I went Christmas shopping (which I don't do, but stick with me for the sake of argument) and a song came on highlighting some beloved people being in hell and mentioning Hitler and Dahmer. I'm not saying that I would be emotionally damaged nor would I call for a boycott of the store, but I would find it inappropriate.

Posts: 918 | From: Southern CA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Christie
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Christie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Class Bravo:
I don't think this is strictly about the chiiiiiiiildren though, as so many things these days tend to be. Won't someone think of the adults?

I think I would be a bit thrown off if I went Christmas shopping (which I don't do, but stick with me for the sake of argument) and a song came on highlighting some beloved people being in hell and mentioning Hitler and Dahmer. I'm not saying that I would be emotionally damaged nor would I call for a boycott of the store, but I would find it inappropriate.

I agree. It is quite possible to find something inappropriate for the venue without wanting to make a big deal of it. But if an opinion is asked it will be offered!

--------------------
If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, it's just possible you haven't grasped the situation. - Jean Kerr

Posts: 18428 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nion
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nion         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm one of those people who would have been like "WTF?" and then started chuckling about it. There's bigger things in life to be worried about than "OMGZZZZZZZ TEHY R PLAYN BAD STUFFZZZZZ!11!!!!1!"

Then again, that may just be me.

--------------------
It can't rain all the time.

Posts: 1102 | From: Iowa | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Class Bravo

Very good point--while this song is certainly inappropriate for Christmas shopping, I have received unsubstantiated reports that some stores are playing songs that will in fact cause people to catch teh gay.
Mistletoey Chloe
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mistletoey Chloe     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Absolutely! I myself had recently been urged, via store loudspeaker, to don some "gay apparel." Totally unacceptable.

--------------------
~~Ai am in mai prrrrrraime!~~

Posts: 10111 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Midgard_Dragon
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Midgard_Dragon   E-mail Midgard_Dragon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Christie:
quote:
Originally posted by Artemis:
quote:

Tell you what, your children can listen to anything you want. When you are running a business of your own you can also try to impose your musical tastes on your customers and hope they go along with it. In the meantime though you'll have to accept that not everyone wants "to listen to filth" least of all under the guise of Christmas music in a public place where a merchant is trying to get them to part with their money.
As far as I'm concerned, the store that is trying to get you to part with your money can play whatever they want. If you don't like it, you have just as much right to shop somewhere else.

--------------------
Midgard Dragon
-==UDIC==-
MidgardDragon's MySpace

Posts: 2455 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages