snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Non-UL Chat » Business Bytes » Wal-Mart: We're not afraid to say Merry Christmas (Page 6)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Wal-Mart: We're not afraid to say Merry Christmas
AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Wait, the person excoriating the use of "Happy Holidays" is lambasting others to get some "cultural awareness?"

Irony!

Since more than one holiday is celebrated, "Happy Holidays" is not only more polite, it is more correct.

Thus sayeth I.

--------------------
"When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty."--George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 19266 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mistletoey Chloe
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mistletoey Chloe     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I apologise in advance for any misattribution below. Cestrian has decided to eschew normal quoting conventions and use boldface, and I'm not sure I have either the skills or the patience to go through and fix everything.
quote:
Originally posted by Cestrian:
quote:
Originally posted by Flowy Chloe:
quote:
Originally posted by Cestrian:
"Happy Holidays" is meaningless, lazy and disrespectful.

No, it's not. (That was Chloe)
Saying "it's not" doesn't actually make it so, you know. (That was Cestrian.)
Interesting that you say that, since I deliberately chose to say "No it's not" as a unsupported opinion to draw attention to your own unsupported opinion above it. If you read my posts ever, you'll see that it's not my normal habit to do this. Clearly, this worked.
quote:
Meaningless since "holiday" is nothing special ... a bit like saying happy November.
Except that it means "holy day," and "holy" means "separate." Its very definition means special.(That was Chloe)
If you're going to be so anal as to analyse the etymology of holiday you should really be saying "Happy Holy Days" (That was Cestrian.)
I am interested in etymology, but I don't communicate exclusively in Anglo-Saxon. I used it here to dispute your point that "holiday" means nothing special, when on the contrary, it means *precisely* something special. And since I'm not that familiar with your posting style, I must ask: are you always this rude, or are you saving this especially for me?
quote:
Lazy and disrespectful because you are not interested in the other person's beliefs/culture.
What? Why is it any of your business? (That was Chloe.)
Gain a bit of awareness ... please ... I'm sure many of the problems of the world could be minimised if we knew more about the cultures of fellow travellers. (That was Cestrian.)
Again, rude. There is a difference between knowing about the cultures of others and demanding to know their religious affiliation.
quote:
It's a way of appearing polite without the risk of actually connecting with the recipient of your seasonal greetings.
God forbid that we should be polite! (That was Chloe.)
You are confusing appearing polite with actual politeness .. here's a hint .. when someone says "Have a nice day" not only do they not care whether you do have a nice day or not, 2 seconds later they have forgotten they even spoke to you. (That was Cestrian.)
Thank you for your hint. Hint: I didn't actually mean that.
quote:
He/she might have been Jewish/Christian/Muslim or atheist, but "phew" you never need to find out.
Why should you? (That was Chloe.)

Well, why?
quote:
Just remember though, that no reasonable person of any religious belief is going to take offence at being presented with the "wrong" greeting.
Cite? (That was Chloe.)
One of many... Definition of reasonable (That was Cestrian.)
Thank you, I do know what "reasonable" means. And I think it's eminently reasonable to feel sad or overlooked or disappointed when something as important to you as your faith is assumed to be something other than it is. I'd rather not have others feel that way. How unreasonable of me.
quote:
It's the thought that counts and "happy holidays" shows no thought at all.
(That was Cestrian.) What would you suggest, in order to connect with "Jewish/Christian/Muslim or atheist" people (since those are the options, apparently. Tough luck, Noemi). (That was Chloe.)
Apologies to members of religions not listed, I was not looking to make a post not a gazetteer.(That was Cestrian.)

I'm still not clear on what greeting you think would be better in terms of "connecting" with one's greetee.

--------------------
~~Ai am in mai prrrrrraime!~~

Posts: 10111 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
MaxKaladin
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MaxKaladin   E-mail MaxKaladin   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rainmom:
Sure, you could be celebrating Yule a fews days late because your friends couldn't make it on the 22nd.

Or because you, yourself, couldn't do it on the 22nd. The fact is that whatever holiday you may want to celebrate, the actual day off you get for the holiday is going to be December 25th for a great many people.

There are also going to be a fair number in the position I'm in. I'm the only non-Christian in my family and if I want to participate in holiday celebrations it's going to be Christian ones.

And yes, there are a lot of people celebrating a basically secular version of Christmas that's all about presents and parties and a little lip-service to the religious aspect.

Again, I reiterate: I'm not one of the people getting in a snit over the whole thing. Say what you want, the only people I'm annoyed with are the ones who get in a snit about saying something other than "Merry Christmas".

Posts: 716 | From: San Antonio, TX | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
GenYus
Away in a Manager's Special

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GenYus   E-mail GenYus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rainmom:
Well...December 25 IS Christmas. Yule (for Pagans and Wiccans) is on Decemeber 21 or 22. Kwanza I am pretty sure is after Christmas until Jan. 1. This year, Hannukah is Dec. 15-22.

Which doesn't explain why many people feel that "Merry Christmas" should be the default or only greeting from December 1st (or after Thanksgiving or after Halloween) until December 26th.

--------------------
IIRC, it wasn't the shoe bomber's loud prayers that sparked the takedown by the other passengers; it was that he was trying to light his shoe on fire. Very, very different. Canuckistan

Posts: 3694 | From: Arizona | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mistletoey Chloe

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mistletoey Chloe     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
In fact, if we use Rainmom's logic, on the actual days of Yule or Kwanza or Hanukkah, we should say only those greetings appropriate to those holidays.

--------------------
~~Ai am in mai prrrrrraime!~~

Posts: 10111 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
quiltsbypam
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for quiltsbypam   E-mail quiltsbypam   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Roadie:
If my dog just died, my house is being foreclosed on, my husband just left me, and I have a head cold, I would be offended by anyone wishing me "Happy" or "Merry" anything. Who are they to foist their good wishes on me, when I am miserable? Shouldn't they ascertain first if I am receptive to receiving unsolicited good will? Yes, they should. I think we should all keep our conversations to the minimum it takes to conduct our lives, and leave this whole feel-good crap out of it.

ETA: Wording.

That seems safest, Roadie. Don't talk to anybody beyond the barest minimum required, or you'll offend somebody sometime.

And I don't like tube socks. They stretch out too fast and the cotton gets hard with repeated washing and drying.

--------------------
"No Biblical hell could ever be worse than the state of perpetual inconsequence." Beatrice in Dangerous Beauty

Posts: 1816 | From: Cayuga County, NY | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
RLobinske
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RLobinske   E-mail RLobinske   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by quiltsbypam:

And I don't like tube socks. They stretch out too fast and the cotton gets hard with repeated washing and drying.

I like tube socks. [Wink] When you're half asleep putting them on, you don't have to worry about having them right side up. Plus, buy 12 identical pairs, and you can always find a match. [lol]
Posts: 296 | From: Crawfordville, Florida | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Avril
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Avril     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
But you can easily buy identical pairs of traditional shaped socks as well, and you can turn your socks around if you put them on wrong. Those aren't good reasons.

I reiterate: Tube socks are icky!

Avril

--------------------
There is no failure unless one stops. --Ray Bradbury

Posts: 2115 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Richard W

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard W   E-mail Richard W   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Buying identical socks doesn't work because they fade in the wash at different rates and you end up having none that match. Also if you buy socks that you think are identical but at different times or places, then they will have different weaves but be similar enough that it's really confusing.

In retrospect, it would be better only to buy distinctly different pairs of socks, one pair of each colour. Then you'd always know which went together, even if one or the other did fade or stretch slightly. And if you decide to go the "mismatched socks" route, as some people I know do, it's better if they clash completely so that it's obviously deliberate - if they're just slightly different shades of grey it looks like a mistake.

Sadly I think I realised all this too late and my sock situation is now irrecoverable.

Posts: 8725 | From: Ipswich - the UK's 9th Best Place to Sleep! | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
RLobinske
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RLobinske   E-mail RLobinske   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Avril:
But you can easily buy identical pairs of traditional shaped socks as well, and you can turn your socks around if you put them on wrong. Those aren't good reasons.

I reiterate: Tube socks are icky!

Avril

You might have sufficient coordination in the morning to turn your socks around. [Wink]

quote:
Originally posted by Richard W:Buying identical socks doesn't work because they fade in the wash at different rates and you end up having none that match. Also if you buy socks that you think are identical but at different times or places, then they will have different weaves but be similar enough that it's really confusing
Buy them all at the same time from the same place (by the six pair per bag package). White doesn't fade. [Wink] K-Mart also sells a light grey that holds color well and doesn't fade differentially.

Works fine. [Smile]

ETA: fixed quote syntax

Posts: 296 | From: Crawfordville, Florida | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
GenYus
Away in a Manager's Special

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GenYus   E-mail GenYus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Richard W:
Buying identical socks doesn't work because they fade in the wash at different rates and you end up having none that match. Also if you buy socks that you think are identical but at different times or places, then they will have different weaves but be similar enough that it's really confusing.

If you wash all the identical socks in the same wash load, they will all fade at similar rates. But this requires that you wear socks using a FIFO method. Most people use LIFO, which means that unless you drain your sock reserves completely before doing laundry (in bare feet), you won't maintain sock parity.

--------------------
IIRC, it wasn't the shoe bomber's loud prayers that sparked the takedown by the other passengers; it was that he was trying to light his shoe on fire. Very, very different. Canuckistan

Posts: 3694 | From: Arizona | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
RLobinske
Deck the Malls

Oh yeah, I regularly wear boots, so it doesn't really matter what color my socks are, nobody can see them. [Smile]
Doug4.7
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 203 posted      Profile for Doug4.7   E-mail Doug4.7   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Just as a data point on this one, I went to my local Wal-Mart this morning (shaver parts & replace burned out Christmas lights) and not only were they saying "Merry Christmas!", but the the PA system was playing "Christian Radio" style music. So at least my local store is MORE THAN not afraid to say, "Merry Christmas to all and to all a good sale!".

--------------------
And now for something completely different...

Posts: 4164 | From: Alabama | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Richard W

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard W   E-mail Richard W   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The Virgin Megastore in town has signs up saying "Thank Virgin it's Christmas!" Surely that's blasphemy? I don't think they mean the Virgin Mary. If I was Christian I might be offended...
Posts: 8725 | From: Ipswich - the UK's 9th Best Place to Sleep! | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages