snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Non-UL Chat » Business Bytes » Wal-Mart: We're not afraid to say Merry Christmas (Page 5)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Wal-Mart: We're not afraid to say Merry Christmas
Mistletoey Chloe
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mistletoey Chloe     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Aren't you reading the thread, Rainmom? If you peruse it carefully, I believe many of your questions will be answered.

--------------------
~~Ai am in mai prrrrrraime!~~

Posts: 10111 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cestrian
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cestrian   E-mail Cestrian   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
"Happy Holidays" is meaningless, lazy and disrespectful.
Meaningless since "holiday" is nothing special ... a bit like saying happy November.
Lazy and disrespectful because you are not interested in the other person's beliefs/culture.
It's a way of appearing polite without the risk of actually connecting with the recipient of your seasonal greetings. He/she might have been Jewish/Christian/Muslim or atheist, but "phew" you never need to find out. Just remember though, that no reasonable person of any religious belief is going to take offence at being presented with the "wrong" greeting. It's the thought that counts and "happy holidays" shows no thought at all.

Here endeth tonight's sermon...

--------------------
"Endeavour to persevere"

Posts: 104 | From: Gravesend, UK | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Damian
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Damian   E-mail Damian   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Flowy Chloe:
Rubbish. Surely you are not saying that there is a single person in "most Western countries" who does not have a holiday at Christmas?

How many western countries do not have Christmas Day as a public holiday?

A public holiday shows that the government recognise it as a significant day.

Anyway, why do people have trouble accepting good wishes from someone?

--------------------
"I always tell the truth. Even when I lie." - Tony Montana

Posts: 890 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mistletoey Chloe

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mistletoey Chloe     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Damian:
Rubbish. Surely you are not saying that there is a single person in "most Western countries" who does not have a holiday at Christmas?

quote:
How many western countries do not have Christmas Day as a public holiday?
What does that have to do with it? You said it was a holiday for "everyone" (but interestingly, neglected to quote that bit); can you show that this is true?
quote:
A public holiday shows that the government recognise it as a significant day.
ETR snarkiness. Instead: I think it's odd that this is considered to be what is important. Personally, I've never wished anyone "Happy Bank Holiday Monday" in my life, yet clearly the government wants me to.
quote:
Anyway, why do people have trouble accepting good wishes from someone?
"Merry Christmas" says "Have a good holiday--if you're a Christian." As to what is wrong with "Happy Holidays"? I honestly have no idea.

--------------------

Posts: 10111 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mistletoey Chloe

quote:
Originally posted by Cestrian:

No, it's not.
quote:
Meaningless since "holiday" is nothing special ... a bit like saying happy November.
Except that it means "holy day," and "holy" means "separate." Its very definition means special.
quote:
Lazy and disrespectful because you are not interested in the other person's beliefs/culture.
What? Why is it any of your business?
quote:
It's a way of appearing polite without the risk of actually connecting with the recipient of your seasonal greetings.
God forbid that we should be polite!
quote:
He/she might have been Jewish/Christian/Muslim or atheist, but "phew" you never need to find out.
Why should you?
quote:
Just remember though, that no reasonable person of any religious belief is going to take offence at being presented with the "wrong" greeting.
Cite?
quote:
It's the thought that counts and "happy holidays" shows no thought at all.
What would you suggest, in order to connect with "Jewish/Christian/Muslim or atheist" people (since those are the options, apparently. Tough luck, Noemi).

--------------------

Rainmom
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rainmom     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Aren't you reading the thread, Rainmom? If you peruse it carefully, I believe many of your questions will be answered.

I am reading the thread. I just have a hard time believing that those "offended" by Merry Christmas and have no religious affiliation at all (such as Jews celebrating Hannukah), will not be buying any presents for their children, family or friends. No parties at work, no lights on the house...nothing. No observance whatsoever of December 25 as a day different than any other day.

Christmas stopped being just a Christian holiday a long time ago.

Rainmom

Posts: 348 | From: Florida | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Avril
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Avril     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A few thoughts:

My Jewish friends have confused me many times about what to do when saying our before-the-holiday good-byes or exchanging seasonal presents (I usually make candy or cookies in bulk). For example, consider the following exchange:

ME: Happy Hannukah!

FRIEND (blinks confusedly): Merry Christmas!

ME (blinking confusedly; uncertain): Um...thanks. See you later.

But these greetings are so meaningless to me, in a way. Just a toss off. In college, after our fall finals, for example, the hallways were full of students waving to each other and wishing them merry or happy holidays of various sorts. They weren't even a blip on my radar regardless of what anyone wished me to have. Meanwhile, when I was very ill (which I was, for my entire junior year), a Jewish professor looked into my eyes and said, very seriously, "Have a good break" when I handed my test back to him. That was a meaningful exchange--sort of a wish for recovery or at least a respite from my illness. And I was actually moved by it. Whether he'd said "Merry Christmas," "Happy Hannukah," or just about anything else in the same way, it would have had the same impact on me.

Intent is everything. I'm annoyed by whatever greeting Wal-Mart employees give me since the intent is to get me to spend money. And that's year round. I want clerks to leave me alone unless I ask for help (though I want them to be readily available, of course).

Avril

--------------------
There is no failure unless one stops. --Ray Bradbury

Posts: 2115 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mistletoey Chloe

Um, Rainmom, you do know that Hanukkah has presents, parties, and special lights, don't you?

And what on earth do you mean by the suggestion that Jews celebrating Hannukah "have no religious affiliation at all"? Can't you see how offensive that is?

And there were holidays at that time of the year *long* before Christmas.

--------------------

Rainmom
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rainmom     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Um, Rainmom, you do know that Hanukkah has presents, parties, and special lights, don't you?

And what on earth do you mean by the suggestion that Jews celebrating Hannukah "have no religious affiliation at all"? Can't you see how offensive that is?

And there were holidays at that time of the year *long* before Christmas.

I miswrote the part about religious affilation (trying to cook and post). What I meant to write was that if you have no religious affiliation OR if you are Jewish celebrating Hannukah ( being the other major holiday at the same time as CHristmas or vise versa).

Did not mean to offend...total mispost.

Rainmom

Posts: 348 | From: Florida | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mistletoey Chloe

And the bit about not having presents, parties, and special lights unless you've been influenced by Christianity?

(There are other important holidays in late December, btw. Yule and Kwaanza spring to mind).

--------------------

GenYus
Away in a Manager's Special

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GenYus   E-mail GenYus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
If "Happy Holidays" is bad because it means you never had to find out what religion someone is, how is "Merry Christmas" any better? Not only are you not bothering to find out, you are simply assuming that they are Christian.

--------------------
IIRC, it wasn't the shoe bomber's loud prayers that sparked the takedown by the other passengers; it was that he was trying to light his shoe on fire. Very, very different. Canuckistan

Posts: 3694 | From: Arizona | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rhiandmoi

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rhiandmoi   E-mail Rhiandmoi   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rainmom:
quote:

I am reading the thread. I just have a hard time believing that those "offended" by Merry Christmas and have no religious affiliation at all (such as Jews celebrating Hannukah), will not be buying any presents for their children, family or friends. No parties at work, no lights on the house...nothing. No observance whatsoever of December 25 as a day different than any other day.

Rainmom

Well it just so happens that that the 25th opens the Festival of Lights, so Jews will be celebrating the rededication of the temple by the Maccabees. IIRC.

--------------------
I think that hyperbole is the single greatest factor contributing to the decline of society. - My friend Pat.

What is .02 worth?

Posts: 8745 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rainmom
Deck the Malls

quote:
And the bit about not having presents, parties, and special lights unless you've been influenced by Christianity?

(There are other important holidays in late December, btw. Yule and Kwaanza spring to mind).

I didn't write anything about being Christian. My whole point (now that I am done cooking)is that most people in the western world (unless they are Jewish and celebrating Hannukah) will do SOMETHING special on December 25, which is Christmas Day. Even those who are offended when a cashier at Wal-MArt wishes them a Merry Christmas, most likely will be doing something special that day.

In many households, Christmas comes and goes without any direct mention of the baby Jesus, the nativity, God or Mary etc. It is celebrated by getting together with family and friends, eating good food, exchanging gifts, visions of sugar plums etc. That is what we do for the most part.

Rainmom

Rhiandmoi

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rhiandmoi   E-mail Rhiandmoi   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
What if they are Muslim? I had many Muslim friends growing up and they didn't do anything special for Dec 25th unless it coincided with Eid.

There are more options besides Christian, Cultural Christmas Celebration, and Jewish.

--------------------
I think that hyperbole is the single greatest factor contributing to the decline of society. - My friend Pat.

What is .02 worth?

Posts: 8745 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Zachary Fizz
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zachary Fizz     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a question for Chloe and Ryda, though of course anyone who can offer an answer is welcome to do so.

Is your ire reserved for those who indiscriminately go around saying "Merry Christmas", or does it apply to any religiously- or ethnicly- affiliated seasonal greeting? Can I say Ramadam Kareem, Eid Mubarak, Gong xi fa chi (forgive my spelling), Happy Diwali, or Merry Yule to you without causing offence? Obviously what interests me is whether there is a distinction being made here, and if so, on what basis.

Like many non-Americans, I have to confess to finding this whole issue rather puzzling; I realise I must be missing some local issues which make it such a big deal, but I just can't work out what they are. Would it be fanciful to suggest that many Americans (no snopesters, though) have become mildly paranoid of late?

Posts: 2370 | From: Arabia | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Damian

Icon 606 posted      Profile for Damian   E-mail Damian   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zachary Fizz:
Would it be fanciful to suggest that many Americans (no snopesters, though) have become mildly paranoid of late?

Most likely it is just a case of a person enjoying being outraged. [flame]

But it is not confined to America. You just have to listen to talk-back radio in Australia. So much outrage about minor issues all the time.

--------------------
"I always tell the truth. Even when I lie." - Tony Montana

Posts: 890 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Amigone201
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amigone201   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Rainmom

Well, you are correct. I'm an atheist, and I'm not offended in the least by "Merry Christmas." In fact, my family celebrates it. We say Merry Christmas a lot to each other, even those of us who are atheists, Jews, or miscellaneous.

I have not the slightest ire for anyone saying Merry Christmas. But when Big Bad Bill O'Reilly shows up, with his nostrils spewing smoke, and starts trying to tell people you HAVE to say "Merry Christmas," then I get pissed.

Bill has absolutely no moral authority to tell stores what they "have" to do. If he really loves Christmas that much, he can set up his own damn store and deck the halls with "Christmas" all he wants.

--------------------
Check out my blog! http://fundiewatch.blogspot.com

Posts: 1527 | From: Buffalo, NY | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Christie
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Christie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GenYus:
If "Happy Holidays" is bad because it means you never had to find out what religion someone is, how is "Merry Christmas" any better? Not only are you not bothering to find out, you are simply assuming that they are Christian.

I don't think most people are assuming anything. They are extending a seasonal holiday greeting. Which the recipient is free to accept or reject or ignore as they see fit - but hopefully without the need to be nasty.

quote:
Originally posted by Damian:

But it is not confined to America. You just have to listen to talk-back radio in Australia. So much outrage about minor issues all the time.

It's not confined to the US & Australia either. The nightmare of my life is being stuck in the back of a taxi whilst CFRA our local hate radio station is playing. If you think people at snopes can sometimes get outraged over minor issues you've not listened to Lowell Green's "righteous opinion" - or, even worse, the call ins. Oh. My. God.

--------------------
If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, it's just possible you haven't grasped the situation. - Jean Kerr

Posts: 18428 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
GenYus
Away in a Manager's Special

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GenYus   E-mail GenYus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Christie:
quote:
Originally posted by GenYus:

I don't think most people are assuming anything. They are extending a seasonal holiday greeting. Which the recipient is free to accept or reject or ignore as they see fit - but hopefully without the need to be nasty.
I should have clarified that I was refering to Cestrian's post where he said:
quote:
Lazy and disrespectful because you are not interested in the other person's beliefs/culture.[emphasis mine]

My point was that why is "Happy Holidays", which is inclusive of all religions that have any kind of holiday or even non-religious people that celebrate New Years is lazy and disrespectful but "Merry Christmas", which is only inclusive of those who celebrate Christmas is better. Now it is possible that Cestrian was saying that you should first find out what greeting a person would favor and then use that appropriate greeting. But he didn't say that and this thread is mostly about HH vs MC, so I assumed (yes, I know) that he was referring to MC instead of HH.

--------------------
IIRC, it wasn't the shoe bomber's loud prayers that sparked the takedown by the other passengers; it was that he was trying to light his shoe on fire. Very, very different. Canuckistan

Posts: 3694 | From: Arizona | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Avril

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Avril     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I have a question for Chloe and Ryda, though of course anyone who can offer an answer is welcome to do so.[snip] Like many non-Americans, I have to confess to finding this whole issue rather puzzling; I realise I must be missing some local issues which make it such a big deal, but I just can't work out what they are. Would it be fanciful to suggest that many Americans (no snopesters, though) have become mildly paranoid of late?

I can't say much about Chloe, but in my experience there is nothing in the world that does not arouse Ryda's passion. She has strong opinions about everything. I would expect her to give a passionate reaction even in a tube socks v. socks with a heel thread.

Avril

--------------------

Posts: 2115 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ryda Wong, EBfCo.
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ryda Wong, EBfCo.   E-mail Ryda Wong, EBfCo.   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Is your ire reserved for those who indiscriminately go around saying "Merry Christmas", or does it apply to any religiously- or ethnicly- affiliated seasonal greeting?

The distinction rests in the dominant culture, and what effect that dominant culture has had on society, in its morality, legality, etc.

Witness the recent burgeoning of bills banning gay marriage, despite legal opinions that the state has no business banning gay marraige. Much of the citizenry makes a moral judgement upon people based on their religious beliefs, the major one of which is a particular brand of christianity that has a thick streak of bigotry and social control, often based on shame and exclusion.

Do all who call themselves christians behave in this fashion? Of course not. But those that do have created a strong cultural current, highly resistant to change, tolerence, and progressivism, and that has influenced our laws, our social networks, our economy.

To say merry christmas in this season, given the diversity of our country and its beliefs and practices, is to tacitly reinforce the hold of christianity over our nation, and, as such, it is annoying.

--------------------
So many spankings! It feels so good! But at the same time, I don't care about meeting your family! - I'mNotDedalus:

Posts: 3216 | From: Denver, CO | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ryda Wong, EBfCo.
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ryda Wong, EBfCo.   E-mail Ryda Wong, EBfCo.   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Avril:
I would expect her to give a passionate reaction even in a tube socks v. socks with a heel thread.

Sorry. You generalize. I don't really understand the difference between the two. And, for the record, I don't really care about scissors, or which professional basketball team wins whatever playoff they have. Now football? That's a different story.

--------------------
So many spankings! It feels so good! But at the same time, I don't care about meeting your family! - I'mNotDedalus:

Posts: 3216 | From: Denver, CO | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Avril

quote:
Originally posted by Ryda Wong:
quote:
Originally posted by Avril:
I would expect her to give a passionate reaction even in a tube socks v. socks with a heel thread.

Sorry. You generalize. I don't really understand the difference between the two. And, for the record, I don't really care about scissors, or which professional basketball team wins whatever playoff they have. Now football? That's a different story.
Tube socks are not shaped--they're just "tubes" (something like most pantyhose is--there's no front or back in tube socks) while other socks are shaped, so that one side goes over your heel and the other, well, doesn't. I have an opinion: I do not like tube socks. They tend to stretch out over the heel and sort of wrinkle and pool at the front of my ankle. Pantyhose tend not to do this unless they are too big. And strangely, I love pantyhose. I don't know of anyone else who does.

I care about scissors. A dull pair of scissors is really annoying. And there is one pair here at work that has a broken scissor, and this pair also annoys me. So while not a consuming passion, I also have an opinion on scissors.

Sports of all sorts, not so much.

Avril

--------------------

MaxKaladin
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MaxKaladin   E-mail MaxKaladin   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I just have a hard time believing that those "offended" by Merry Christmas and have no religious affiliation at all (such as Jews celebrating Hannukah), will not be buying any presents for their children, family or friends. No parties at work, no lights on the house...nothing. No observance whatsoever of December 25 as a day different than any other day.

As I see it, the problem here is the assumption that the holiday has to be called "Christmas". There are a lot of other holidays that fall at roughly the same time. Why must any non-denominational person who happens to do things during the holiday season must be celebrating Christmas? Why can't they be celebrating some other holiday that comes at roughly the same time, or simply "the holidays"?

Let's not forget that a lot of those "Christmas" traditions have origins in the pre-Christian past. One of the reasons I chose "Io, Saturnalia" as my "throw off the uptight jerks who get upset about 'Happy Holidays'" phrase is that Saturnalia actually fits pretty well with the holiday season. While the Roman holiday celebrated the god Saturn, it was primarily a festive season where children had a holiday from school (if they went in the first place) and people exchanged gifts, cut and decorated trees to put in their house and had lots of parties.

ETA: This is not to say that I object to "Merry Christmas" as a holiday greeting. I just don't think it's all that "generic". I think it has connotations of the Christian holiday by including the word "Christmas" in the name. That said, I don't object to people wishing me a "Merry Christmas" even though I'm not a Christian. I take it in the spirit of goodwill in which it's meant.

Posts: 716 | From: San Antonio, TX | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
MaxKaladin
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MaxKaladin   E-mail MaxKaladin   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Like many non-Americans, I have to confess to finding this whole issue rather puzzling; I realise I must be missing some local issues which make it such a big deal, but I just can't work out what they are. Would it be fanciful to suggest that many Americans (no snopesters, though) have become mildly paranoid of late?

Frankly, I don't think it's nearly as big of a deal as it's being made out to be. I think the people who are actually upset about this (on either side) are a relatively small but vocal minority. I think most people don't care. I certainly don't care about the issue except to the extent that I'm annoyed with all the fuss.

I think the issue is social dominance. I think people like O'Reilly started the whole thing as a way of trying to assert the cultural dominance of Christianity over other religions and over the non-religious. I think that's why they do a lot of things. I don't think it was really an issue at all until they started in.

Posts: 716 | From: San Antonio, TX | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Zachary Fizz
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zachary Fizz     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks Ryda and MaxKaladin for the explanation. The whole debate makes much more sense to me now.
Posts: 2370 | From: Arabia | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Roadie
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roadie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
If my dog just died, my house is being foreclosed on, my husband just left me, and I have a head cold, I would be offended by anyone wishing me "Happy" or "Merry" anything. Who are they to foist their good wishes on me, when I am miserable? Shouldn't they ascertain first if I am receptive to receiving unsolicited good will? Yes, they should. I think we should all keep our conversations to the minimum it takes to conduct our lives, and leave this whole feel-good crap out of it.

ETA: Wording.

--------------------
"The little local company I buy from has CHEAP shipping and I have met their goats." (snapdragonfly)

"And that's one lost erection I'll never get back! You hear me Dan! I'm owed an erection!" (I'mNotDedalus)

Posts: 2658 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rainmom
Deck the Malls

quote:
Originally posted by MaxKaladin:
As I see it, the problem here is the assumption that the holiday has to be called "Christmas". There are a lot of other holidays that fall at roughly the same time. Why must any non-denominational person who happens to do things during the holiday season must be celebrating Christmas? Why can't they be celebrating some other holiday that comes at roughly the same time, or simply "the holidays"?

[/QB]

Well...December 25 IS Christmas. Yule (for Pagans and Wiccans) is on Decemeber 21 or 22. Kwanza I am pretty sure is after Christmas until Jan. 1. This year, Hannukah is Dec. 15-22.

So, on December 25 you get together with some friends and family and exchange gifts and eat some good food...what are you celebrating? Sure, you could be celebrating Yule a fews days late because your friends couldn't make it on the 22nd. But, most people, religious or not (who are not celebrating something else) are celebrating Christmas.

I am not religious, I have not gone to church since I was young. To me, it almost seems as if some people are so afraid that someone might think they are a Christian or they have such a dislike for organized religion in general (especially the religion of the republican right), thet they don't even want to admit they celebrate or like Christmas.

Whatever anyone is doing/observing this end of December, I hope you all have a wonderful
holiday season.

Rainmom

Mistletoey Chloe

Rainmom, it seems to me that your point is that most people who celebrate something on December 25 and are not celebrating something else are celebrating Christmas. Is that in fact your point?

--------------------

qualli

Icon 1 posted      Profile for qualli   E-mail qualli   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
if someone wishes me a merry christmas I wish them a blessed yule. If I however start the niceties I say happy holidays.

..or i just mutter under my breath and continue to knock my cart against their ankles until they stop standing in front of the sarah lee gingerbread men...

--------------------
"I still say Obi-wan Kenobi was The Force's bitch."

Posts: 820 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rainmom
Deck the Malls

quote:
Rainmom, it seems to me that your point is that most people who celebrate something on December 25 and are not celebrating something else are celebrating Christmas. Is that in fact your point?

Kinda...if those are the same people who get all pissy when someones dares to wish them a "Merry Christmas", because they feel as if someone is pushing Christianity on them. Then they go out on Christmas and do all the "Christmasy" stuff...but they are not actually celebrating Christmas.

It just seems hypocrital to me.

And, just to be clear, I don't think anyone should be forced to say anything. Happy Holidays or Merry Christmas. No one should be treated rudely for saying either one.

Rainmom

Rhiandmoi

I don't think those are the people getting upset about being wished a Merry Christmas.

--------------------

What is .02 worth?

Cestrian
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cestrian   E-mail Cestrian   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

No, it's not.
Saying "it's not" doesn't actually make it so, you know.
quote:
Except that it means "holy day," and "holy" means "separate." Its very definition means special.
If you're going to be so anal as to analyse the etymology of holiday you should really be saying "Happy Holy Days"
quote:
What? Why is it any of your business?
Gain a bit of awareness ... please ... I'm sure many of the problems of the world could be minimised if we knew more about the cultures of fellow travellers.
quote:
It's a way of appearing polite without the risk of actually connecting with the recipient of your seasonal greetings.
God forbid that we should be polite!
You are confusing appearing polite with actual politeness .. here's a hint .. when someone says "Have a nice day" not only do they not care whether you do have a nice day or not, 2 seconds later they have forgotten they even spoke to you.
quote:
He/she might have been Jewish/Christian/Muslim or atheist, but "phew" you never need to find out.
Why should you?
quote:
Just remember though, that no reasonable person of any religious belief is going to take offence at being presented with the "wrong" greeting.
Cite?
One of many... Definition of reasonable
As in it is not reasonable to take offence when someone in good faith mistakenly assumes one is of religion X
quote:
It's the thought that counts and "happy holidays" shows no thought at all.
What would you suggest, in order to connect with "Jewish/Christian/Muslim or atheist" people (since those are the options, apparently. Tough luck, Noemi).
Apologies to members of religions not listed, I was not looking to make a post not a gazetteer.

--------------------
"Endeavour to persevere"

Posts: 104 | From: Gravesend, UK | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
RLobinske
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RLobinske   E-mail RLobinske   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
It's a way of appearing polite without the risk of actually connecting with the recipient of your seasonal greetings. He/she might have been Jewish/Christian/Muslim or atheist, but "phew" you never need to find out. Just remember though, that no reasonable person of any religious belief is going to take offence at being presented with the "wrong" greeting. It's the thought that counts and "happy holidays" shows no thought at all.

Here endeth tonight's sermon...

I disagree. When you make those claims, you are making assumptions about the person saying "Happy Holidays" that are not factually based.

Holidays does have meaning, because there are multiple holidays observed by different people during the month of December.

IMO, it is more thoughtful and respectful to say Happy Holidays when you don't know than to make an automatic assumption for the most common, or to just blatantly ask, "When I speak to you, what seasonal greeting do you prefer?" It is not laziness that you may not know a persons religion, it is simple reality and it is not practical to always determine beforehand.

IMO, many people say "Merry Christmas" with no thought at all, because that is what they have always done. Do you consider everyone who says that as "lazy and disrepectful"?

I agree that this season is an excellent chance to get to know different cultures. "Happy Holidays" is a way to open that door.

I have worked in a lab group that literaly had Christians, Jews, Muslims, Hindus, Pagans and Agnostics working side by side; Happy Holidays was a much more appropriate decoration. [Wink]

Posts: 296 | From: Crawfordville, Florida | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BringTheNoise
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BringTheNoise   Author's Homepage   E-mail BringTheNoise   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cestrian: Saying "it's not" doesn't actually make it so, you know.
Indeed, but Chloe's right in this case.

quote:
If you're going to be so anal as to analyse the etymology of holiday you should really be saying "Happy Holy Days"
No, because "holiday" means the same thing. Same reason I say "Happy birthday" not "Happy Anniversary of Your Birth".

quote:
Gain a bit of awareness ... please ... I'm sure many of the problems of the world could be minimised if we knew more about the cultures of fellow travellers.
I'm all for cultural awareness. Still doesn't help us decide which holiday (if any) people we meet at Wal-Mart (for example) are going to be celebrating. How do you propose we work this out?

quote:
You are confusing appearing polite with actual politeness .. here's a hint .. when someone says "Have a nice day" not only do they not care whether you do have a nice day or not, 2 seconds later they have forgotten they even spoke to you.
Something about pots and kettles comes to mind here.

quote:
One of many... Definition of reasonable
As in it is not reasonable to take offence when someone in good faith mistakenly assumes one is of religion X

Be easier just not to make the mistake to begin with though, surely?

quote:
Apologies to members of religions not listed, I was not looking to make a post not a gazetteer.
Nice dodge - but would you care to answer's Chloe's question?

--------------------
"The United States Government: significantly less cruel and sadistic than the Taliban." - Dara

Posts: 1289 | From: Aberdeen University, Aberdeen, UK | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages