snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Non-UL Chat » Business Bytes » Why is Los Angeles airport the only one known by its official code? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Why is Los Angeles airport the only one known by its official code?
Seaboe Muffinchucker
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Seaboe Muffinchucker     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I hear non-locals (obviously, since Seattle's a long way from New York [Wink] ) call JFK JFK all the time.

Almost everything you say about LAX, HelloLlama, applies to JFK as well.

Seaboe

--------------------
Education is not the filling of a hard drive, but the lighting of a bulb. -- Yeats via Esprise Me

Posts: 5562 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NeeCD
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NeeCD   E-mail NeeCD       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Four Kitties:
quote:
Originally posted by NeeCD:
Portland State University's website is PDX.com, for example

[nitpick]No, it's PDX dot edu, not dot com.[/nitpick]
Doh!  - Not only are you correct, but I actually noted that and then typed the wrong thing anyway. One [fish] (for me) coming up.

--------------------
I wondered why the Frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
What does "Bookachow", "YOMANK!" and other lingo mean?

Posts: 1720 | From: Stafford Hamlet, OR | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ChelleGame
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ChelleGame   E-mail ChelleGame   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Wildabeast,
IAH is, indeed, named after Da Daddy.

Southwest used to have a message while you held to help repeal the Wright Ammendment, but I don't recall hearing it lately. They also used to share that a person's dominant nostril changes every 4 hours.

--------------------
Michelle

Posts: 953 | From: Ely, Minnesota | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
I saw Mommy kismet Santa Claus
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for I saw Mommy kismet Santa Claus   E-mail I saw Mommy kismet Santa Claus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
DFW the area is also referred to by the airport code. But only by people who aren't intent on pretending the two cities are far apart and have nothing to do with one another. I've been shocked since moving here that this huge expanse of metro area behaves as though it were many prairie towns that never interact. Econmies of scale, people! Embrace your metro-ness!

Wildabeast, there is a big silly Dallas/Houston rivalry. More than any other two American cities I'm aware of. And IAH is a nice airport, large sections of it are brand new.

Posts: 2115 | From: Texas | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cactus Wren
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cactus Wren   E-mail Cactus Wren   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have never heard PHX, Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport, referred to by any name other than "Sky Harbor".

--------------------
“Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar.” -- Edward R. Murrow

IOToriSparrowANK!

Posts: 598 | From: Arizona | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jason Threadslayer

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jason Threadslayer     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by skeptic:
But what I can't figure out is why is Los Angeles airport the only one that the general public refers to by its code, in this case LAX.

There's a big LAX sign (like the Hollywood sign) in front of the airport.

quote:
Originally posted by skeptic:
I'm sure there are no others in common use.

Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport and Peachtree-DeKalb (ATL and PDK respectively) are routinely referred to by their IATA airport codes on the radio in Atlanta. Fulton County Airport is usually Charlie Brown Airport, though.

I've seen Birmingham, Jacksonville, and Albuquerque referred to as BHM, JAX, and ABQ in print (particularly regarding weather).

--------------------
All posts foretold by Nostradamus.

Turing test failures: 6

Posts: 5481 | From: Decatur, GA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LittleDuck

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LittleDuck   E-mail LittleDuck   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have never heard people refer to the airport here as "BOS". It's always "Logan" (for Logan International Airport).

--------------------
"Silly customer, you cannot hurt a Twinkie." -Apu (The Simpsons)

Posts: 2026 | From: 10 miles South of Boston | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
HelloLlama
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HelloLlama     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker:
I hear non-locals (obviously, since Seattle's a long way from New York [Wink] ) call JFK JFK all the time.

Almost everything you say about LAX, HelloLlama, applies to JFK as well.

Seaboe

Well, Yeah, but JFK is not just an airport code. The initials JFK are a pretty well known way refer to Kennedy. LAX is nothing but an airport code.
Posts: 498 | From: Ypsilanti, Michigan | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Class Bravo

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Class Bravo     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by HelloLlama:
Well, Yeah, but JFK is not just an airport code. The initials JFK are a pretty well known way refer to Kennedy. LAX is nothing but an airport code.

But the thing is, LAX doesn't have a name outside of its ICAO identifier, so over time the identifier has morphed into its pseudo-name.
Posts: 918 | From: Southern CA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Psihala
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 05 posted      Profile for Psihala   E-mail Psihala   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Class Bravo:
quote:

But the thing is, LAX doesn't have a name outside of its ICAO identifier, so over time the identifier has morphed into its pseudo-name.
You lost me. Los Angeles International Airport isn't a name outside the Airport code?

~Psihala

--------------------
StealthPost™

Posts: 3020 | From: Colorado | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Errata

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Errata   E-mail Errata   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Psihala:
quote:
quote:

You lost me. Los Angeles International Airport isn't a name outside the Airport code?

~Psihala

It doesn't have a name that can be shortened. Nobody is going to refer to it by its full 11 syllable name conversationally. People always abbreviate that sort of thing. But there is nothing you can pull out of Los Angeles International Airport to use as that abbreviation. You can't call it LA Airport, because there are other airports in the area. You can't call it "Los Angeles" or "International" or "Airport". You need the full string of words, which nobody wants to use. None of those are really "names" in the sense of an unrelated word; rather they're a description of what it is.
Posts: 2018 | From: Santa Barbara, California | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
simply
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for simply     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think they are trying to get us to refer to Norfolk International by its code, with those stupid "Take ORF" ads.

--------------------
simply

Posts: 151 | From: Virginia | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Class Bravo

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Class Bravo     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Most airports have have names other than the city in which they sit (Phoenix with Sky Harbor, San Diego with Lindbergh, Oklahoma City with Will Rogers, etc). LAX is just a contraction of Los Angeles International Airport.
Posts: 918 | From: Southern CA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
surfcitydogdad
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for surfcitydogdad     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Regarding GenYus' remarks about DFW and the Wright Amendment: is this something I need to go go off in another one of my libertarian anarcho-capitalist rants about?

That's terrible! See how big business uses big government to help themselves and stifle competition, rather than the government protecting us from them, or the free market keeping prices competitive?

At least now I know who to ask for advice about air travel in the Southwest!

--------------------
Only when we remake ourselves can we remake the world.
- Outer Limits (2001)

Posts: 559 | From: Santa Cruz, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Psihala
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 82 posted      Profile for Psihala   E-mail Psihala   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
There's some history about Amon Carter Field / Greater Southwest International (GSW - the airport that preceded DFW) here.

It looks to me that the creation of DFW was as much a political struggle between the cities of Dallas and Fort Worth as anything else.

~Psihala

--------------------
StealthPost™

Posts: 3020 | From: Colorado | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
skeptic
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for skeptic         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks for the interesting replies. I was really only refering to places that are known outside their own area, with the idea that LAX was used throughout the USA. JFK is another example, but the initials for the president preceded their use for the airport.
One interesting thing I noticed when working in the industry, is that the codes rarely change, even if the airport is renamed. This gives some funny situations where a leader is ousted in a coup, but his name lives on abbreviated in the country's airport code.
It's a funny world.

--------------------
I like free speech. It lets me know who the idiots are.

Posts: 407 | From: Ireland | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Seaboe Muffinchucker

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Seaboe Muffinchucker     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
It looks to me that the creation of DFW was as much a political struggle between the cities of Dallas and Fort Worth as anything else.

When Scoop Jackson died, there was a rush to rename just about everything in western Washington in his honor. Including SeaTac (officially the Seattle-Tacoma International Airport).

The city of Tacoma promptly sued. And won.

Seaboe

--------------------
Education is not the filling of a hard drive, but the lighting of a bulb. -- Yeats via Esprise Me

Posts: 5562 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Seaboe Muffinchucker

Thanks to this thread, I checked to see whether King County International Airport (aka "Boeing Field") has a code. Sure enough, it does--BFI. Bet the politicians in King County are happy with that--not.

Seaboe

--------------------

Gale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gale     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by WildaBeast:
quote:
Originally posted by kismet:
Wildabeast, Hobby is a separate airport from IAH. It is named after a person, but it is also much smaller than IAH, so it kind of fits. It's like the Houston equivalent of Love Field, but without the legal issues mentioned above. Southwest flies out of Hobby. Continental's hub is IAH.

Ahh. I think I used to know that, now that you mention it. Isn't IAH also name after George W. Bush now?

quote:
Originally posted by Gale:
What fer? You lose a bet? [fish]

Does that mean IAH isn't a very nice airport? Or is this just some silly rivalry between Dallas and Houston?

DALLAS??? DALLAS??? ***Kack, cough, choke*** Honey, I live in Austin. Half-way between the two. I'm part of the pinko liberal commie hippie nation. I tote a gun and save the whales. I have a whole range of burnt orange shirts. I drive an SUV and I recycle.

No, I've never been to intergalactic. I fly southwest so I go Hobby. But it is a silly make fun of thing. People in the Big Cities (Houston & Dallas) consider Austinites a bunch of ineffective liberals. We consider them a bunch of superficial shoppers. Both, of course, gross generalizations.

Posts: 4811 | From: Austin, TX | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ToadMagnet

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ToadMagnet   E-mail ToadMagnet   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gale:
Definitely BWI, JFK, and DFW. Houston will always either be Hobby (curse you, Wright amendment) or Intergalactic.

I thought my friends and family were the only people who called it Intergalactic! But IAH sounds like it should be in one of those I states, and George R. Bush International Airport - Houston just doesn't flow trippingly off the tongue.

Not matter what I call it, I'm sure I'll be spending hours sitting there once again this Thanksgiving while the airline (1) loses my luggage, (2) cancels at least one of my scheduled flights, and (3) delays at least one connecting flight.

Toad"I should take a train"Magnet

--------------------
Listen ... it's Mellow!

Posts: 927 | From: Virginia | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Hans Off
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hans Off   E-mail Hans Off   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Do you think you will end up sleeping in a motel bed with a big fat man and have a misuderstanding over "two pillows" ?

--------------------
"British English speakers point to Americans adding more syllables so that they can make even more noise without actually saying anything." Llewtrah

Posts: 2235 | From: Sussex , UK | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nick Theodorakis
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nick Theodorakis   E-mail Nick Theodorakis   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
THOSE AREN'T PILLOWS!!

Nick

--------------------
Don't forget to register for the New ULMB.

Announcement here

Posts: 1089 | From: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Class Bravo

quote:
Thanks to this thread, I checked to see whether King County International Airport (aka "Boeing Field") has a code. Sure enough, it does--BFI. Bet the politicians in King County are happy with that--not.

Every public airport has a three-character identifier for air traffic control and pilot flight planning purposes. Some of them don't correspond well with the name of the airport (i.e. U14 for Nephi, UT and CRQ for McCllellan-Palomar), but they will all have a code.
Seaboe Muffinchucker

quote:
Every public airport has a three-character identifier for air traffic control and pilot flight planning purposes. Some of them don't correspond well with the name of the airport (i.e. U14 for Nephi, UT and CRQ for McCllellan-Palomar), but they will all have a code.

Actually, BFI corresponds terrifically to Boeing Field International. I just think that the politicians would rather it had KCI or KCX to commemorate King County rather than Boeing.

These are the same folks who changed the person for whom King County was named for without actually changing the name of the county.

Seaboe

--------------------

Grumpy
Deck the Malls

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Grumpy         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Threadslayer:
Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport and Peachtree-DeKalb (ATL and PDK respectively) are routinely referred to by their IATA airport codes on the radio in Atlanta.

Hartsfield is still well known as Hartsfield nationwide (recent name change notwithstanding). However, based on the recent movie title, I was led to believe that "ATL" has become a nickname for Atlanta itself.

Kinda like "SLC" -- though that initialism possibly predated air travel.

Posts: 389 | From: Anchorage, AK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
glisp42
I'm Dreaming Of A White iPod

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glisp42   Author's Homepage   E-mail glisp42   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Canuckistan:
Most people around here know what Lester B. Pearson International Airport's code is, but shortening to "Pearson" just sounds so much better than "YYZ."

Conversely, "the airport" is also a popular short-form.

Thanks! Now I know where the title of an obscure instrumental Rush song comes from.

Around here it's common to shorten Kansas City to K.C. and since the airport code is KCI, that routinely gets used as well.

Just to confuse you further, Kansas City Kansas is refered to as KCK and Kansas City Missouri is shortened to KCMO(prounouncing the last to letters together so you get Kay See Moe)

--------------------
What does "Bookachow", "YOMANK" and other lingo mean?

And we'll collect the moments one by one I guess that's how the future's done. -Feist

Posts: 1641 | From: Kansas | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
onein6billion
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for onein6billion   E-mail onein6billion   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Errata:
Nobody is going to refer to it by its full 11 syllable name conversationally.

11 syllables? That's it? Try BWI's full name. Coming in at 17, Baltimore/Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport. The only people I ever hear refer to it by it's full name are the newspeople on TV.

--------------------
Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference.
"Divorce is not caused because 50% of marriages end in gayness." - Jon Stewart
my space on myspace--now showing "80's Video Of The Week"

Posts: 278 | From: Bel Air, MD | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
sherri_lu
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sherri_lu   Author's Homepage   E-mail sherri_lu   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Not only is the Portland airport referred to as PDX (at least where I work), but the same abbreviation is often used to mean the city itself.

And Sea-Tac is called Sea-Tac and not SEA because Tacoma gets mad if you take their name off. [Big Grin]

Spokane isn't called GEG because most people don't realize the name of the airport was originally Geiger Field.

Seaboe

I still call Sea-Tac "Scoop Jackson International Airport"
Posts: 1344 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Class Bravo

quote:
Originally posted by glisp42:
Around here it's common to shorten Kansas City to K.C. and since the airport code is KCI, that routinely gets used as well.

Just out of curiosity--do the airlines (such as for luggage claim) refer to Kansas City International as KCI? The only reason I ask is because when I read this I was thrown off--the ICAO indicator for Kansas City International is actually MCI.
glisp42
I'm Dreaming Of A White iPod

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glisp42   Author's Homepage   E-mail glisp42   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I apologize, I was wrong. It is indeed MCI.

[fish] <--Me for not doing my research

--------------------
What does "Bookachow", "YOMANK" and other lingo mean?

And we'll collect the moments one by one I guess that's how the future's done. -Feist

Posts: 1641 | From: Kansas | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Class Bravo

No hard feelings. There are, in fact, airports where the airlines use a different identifier for luggage than the ICAO identifier, and I wasn't sure if MCI was one of them.
HazyCosmicJive
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HazyCosmicJive     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd still put SFO into this category. Oakland is closer to downtown San Francisco than SFO is, so many travelers (myself included) will prefer to fly into Oakland. Oakland shows up in all the searches when you search for "San Francisco." You pretty much have to specify SFO if you don't want Oakland to at least be included as an option.

--------------------
Suddenly she realizes that amongst a crazy drunken schoolmarm, a navy swim instructor with a food fetish, a southern hick farmer, a porn star turned used car dealer, and a horny ex-football player, she won't be this strange outsider.

Posts: 701 | From: Colorado | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Die Capacitrix
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Die Capacitrix     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Interesting article about airport codes. Clears up many of the airport code mysteries.
quote:
The code for Kansas City International Airport, MCI, was assigned during the early design phase of the airport when the name was going to be Mid-Continent International. Shortly before it opened, Kansas City officials decided to change the name so people would know what city it was in. It was too late to change the code.

--------------------
"Strength is the capacity to break a chocolate bar into four pieces with your bare hands - and then eat just one of the pieces." Judith Viorst

Posts: 1082 | From: Luzern, Switzerland | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
woohmom
Remembrances of Things Bass

Icon 1 posted      Profile for woohmom     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Grumpy:
Hartsfield is still well known as Hartsfield nationwide (recent name change notwithstanding). However, based on the recent movie title, I was led to believe that "ATL" has become a nickname for Atlanta itself.

It has, heck when Atlanta came up with their big logo campaign complete with song, it was all about living in the ATL. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Give peas a chance.

Posts: 564 | From: Georgia | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Grumpy
Deck the Malls

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Grumpy         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
In case it hasn't been mentioned yet, Denver International Airport is frequently called "DIA," thought its IATA code is DEN.
Posts: 389 | From: Anchorage, AK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages