snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Non-UL Chat » Business Bytes » Widow Rented Rotary Phone for 42 Years (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Widow Rented Rotary Phone for 42 Years
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 605 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A widow rented a rotary dial telephone for 42 years, paying what her family calculates as more than $14,000 for a now outdated phone.

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20060914/D8K4RFN01.html

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Horse Chestnut
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Horse Chestnut     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
"I'm outraged," Gordon said. "It made me so mad. It's ridiculous. If my own grandmother was doing it, how many other people are?"

Uh, my mother, for one. Rented that phone until the day she died, and don't try to tell her she didn't need to do this.

I still have the phone. The phone company didn't want it back.

Posts: 1651 | From: Columbus, Ohio | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
unklesamta
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for unklesamta   E-mail unklesamta   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Geez, they couldn't even give her the phone?

--------------------
The less you know, the more you believe. -Bono

Posts: 457 | From: Philadelphia, PA | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
robbiev - singin' off key
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for robbiev - singin' off key   Author's Homepage   E-mail robbiev - singin' off key   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My aunt would have done it, except her phone quit working some years ago and she had to buy a new one.

There used to be a telephone company owned phone store here where you could exchange rented phones. Had it been in business when her phone went out, she would have gone and exchanged it.

--------------------
Every time I see a good looking woman, I think, "0oooh. There's another one I'll never have!"

Corvette. The louder you scream, the faster I'll go.

Posts: 1820 | From: Memphis, TN | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
I saw Mommy kismet Santa Claus

Icon 1 posted      Profile for I saw Mommy kismet Santa Claus   E-mail I saw Mommy kismet Santa Claus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My great-grandmother rented a phone until 1995, 50 years total. She didn't know you could buy phones and none of us knew she was renting. When she sold her house to move in with us we realised it when we cut off phone service. It still worked, and the phone company took it back. No idea what they did with it, but they took it.
Posts: 2115 | From: Texas | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Donovan
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Donovan   E-mail Donovan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Technically, all the rented phones in the US were 'given' to their users. Unfortunately, there were many cases where the change didn't happen in billing. And, of course, when the error is in accounting's favor, they don't make too much an effort to find and correct it.

--------------------
Illius me paenitet, dux (Latin for fun and business)

"It's like trying to hawk pork chops at a kosher PETA banquet." - Esprise Me

Posts: 429 | From: Alabama | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
animal73
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for animal73   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
There's a story in today's paper where Lucent strikes back, saying that she's "only" paid about $2,000 for the phones since 1985 (they don't have records of rentals before 1985).

Yeah, $2000 for two phones is so much better.

I'd link the article, but I'm pretty sure you have to sign up to see it. If you want to check it out, go to cantonrep.com

--------------------
Never take a sleeping pill and a laxative the same night.

Canton Maddogs Rugby

Posts: 440 | From: Canton, Ohio | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Signora Del Drago
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Signora Del Drago     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Donovan Ravenhull:
Technically, all the rented phones in the US were 'given' to their users. Unfortunately, there were many cases where the change didn't happen in billing. And, of course, when the error is in accounting's favor, they don't make too much an effort to find and correct it.

Folks, I don't have a cite for this. It's strictly anecdotal.

My telephone was not given to me, so that must have taken place after my experience with telephone ownership. The first time I became aware that you could buy a telephone, I did. It was an option, not a requirement, so you could still continue to rent. The telephone company would not sell me the one I had, though. They shipped me a new one and provided return shipping for the old one. The reason given was that my telephone was too old to have a warranty. I don't remember when I bought that telephone, but my Mother gave me my first cordless telephone for Christmas in 1990, and I think I had owned my other telephone for about ten years prior to that. I kept that one on hand for use when the electricity goes off, but since I got a cell phone, I don't need it any more. Does anyone need an old rotary wall phone? [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
"This air we're breathing. Oxygen, isn't it?"~I’mNotDedalus, impersonating Vincent D’Onofrio.|"Sometimes trying to communicate can be like walking through a minefield."~wanderwoman
"Give people a break. It's not easy doing a life."~Joshua Halberstam

Posts: 4020 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
glass papaya
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glass papaya   E-mail glass papaya   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not surprised by this. I remember when the only phones you were "allowed" to have were ATT phones. They did have a monopoly on service and equipment.

ATT used to have warnings about not being responsible for damage caused by unauthorised phones, unauthorised phones being useless because they weren't the right frequency or some such thing, basically frightening you into thinking your house would blow up if you didn't buy or rent one of their phones. And of course, the rental option was pushed because if the phone didn't work for some reason, you could exchange it for another ATT rental phone.

Posts: 544 | From: Onalaska, WI | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
nurple
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nurple   Author's Homepage   E-mail nurple   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
...two black rotary phones - the kind whose round dial is moved manually with your finger...
That they needed to explain how to work a rotary phone amused me.

--------------------
"You better respect the Rap or the Rap won't respect you." Ledatru

Posts: 1141 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Signora Del Drago

Icon 98 posted      Profile for Signora Del Drago     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by nurple unagi:
quote:
...two black rotary phones - the kind whose round dial is moved manually with your finger...
Equally funny is the time I was in a Wal-Mart several years ago in Georgia with my daughter about the time school supplies were being touted. There was a sign advertising clocks "for your dorm room" that required *NO ELECTRICITY!!!* and *NO BATTERIES!!!* Amazing, indeed. They were wind-up clocks.  -

--------------------
"This air we're breathing. Oxygen, isn't it?"~I’mNotDedalus, impersonating Vincent D’Onofrio.|"Sometimes trying to communicate can be like walking through a minefield."~wanderwoman
"Give people a break. It's not easy doing a life."~Joshua Halberstam

Posts: 4020 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
jimmy101
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jimmy101   E-mail jimmy101   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I believe there might be a flaw in the math quoted in the cite.
quote:
...still paying AT&T to use the phones - $29.10 a month.
Was $29.10 the charge for the phone rental or the phone+service? Typical news report, not enough info to really tell what is going on

$14,000 over 42 years works out to an average of about $28/month.

IIRC, basic phone service is at least $20 a month now. So wasn't the rental charge closer to $10/month? ~$5,000 over 42 years.

Posts: 629 | From: Greenwood, IN | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troberg

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troberg     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Don't badmouth the rotary phones. I have lots of them. I don't use them to dial out, just to always have a phone nearby to answer in and to get some more noise when somebady calls. They also have one huge advantage that many top of the line, modern, wireless, conference, handsfree, hundreds of numbers phonebook, caller ID phones don't have. They work even if the power is out. It's not often, but it do happen.

I've always wanted to take an old rotary phone and put a mobile phone inside, just to see the reaction I'd get when walking around with one of those, happily chattering away, the cord dragging behind me. It takes a bit too much electronics to go from pulse dial to tone dial, so I have not done that project yet.

--------------------
/Troberg

Posts: 4360 | From: Borlänge, Sweden | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
I saw Mommy kismet Santa Claus

Icon 1 posted      Profile for I saw Mommy kismet Santa Claus   E-mail I saw Mommy kismet Santa Claus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
According to the article, the woman in question was renting from 1964. And buying wasn't an option until 1985. So there's no way to count the first half of her rental as a rip-off, it's the same deal everyone else was getting! Also, this woman states that she'd like her old phone back. She liked the rental phone better and would like to have it back.
Posts: 2115 | From: Texas | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
WildaBeast
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WildaBeast   E-mail WildaBeast   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Troberg:
They work even if the power is out. It's not often, but it do happen.

But that's true of any corded phone, not just rotary ones, unless the phone system in Sweden is vastly different from the one in the US.

Your statement is also true of mobile phones (Well, until the battery dies, anyway).

--------------------
"Unseasonable is an odd word to begin with. It sounds like it's describing something that it's impossible to sprinkle pepper on." -- Nonny

Posts: 5483 | From: Just south of Folsom Prison, CA | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nion
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nion         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I was going to say, ANY corded phone works in a blackout situation! Either that, or I've imagined a couple different conversations over the course of my life . . . [lol]

--------------------
It can't rain all the time.

Posts: 1102 | From: Iowa | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lady Moon Shadows
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lady Moon Shadows   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Did anyone not catch her name?

Ester Strogen

Say it as all one word... [Smile]

But yeah, I remember my mom making a big deal about renting the phone from the company because to purchase one was just "too expensive"...

this poor woman. I can see the phone company "conveintenly" not telling her about it...

--------------------
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate and wine in hand, body thoroughly used up, and screaming WoW what a ride!

Posts: 2924 | From: Flori-duh | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
tagurit
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tagurit   E-mail tagurit   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It seems the bell companies operated differently around the country. I rented my phones (made by western electric, I believe) from Michigan Bell. It was around the time that Michigan Bell became Ameritech that we were notified our phones could no longer be rented and as of an effective date we had the option of either buying the equipment or returning it. I bought my old touchtone and still have it. I'm in the process of sending it off to my friend in Montana because he's fascinated with old organs, pianos, and machinery of every nature. He restores them, not to sell, but to add to his collection. He won't have to restore my touchtone. I took very good care of it and even the cord, which was the longer optional one, is in great shape and not all stretched and twisted. I've had that phone since January '72, IIRC, and used it up until about 4 or 5 years ago. Even once I had a cordless ('97) I used the touchtone in my bedroom.

I don't think I paid any great amount a month to rent my phone. I recall it being somewhat unsubstantial and one of the reasons I decided to keep my phone, particularly since when I went out to price them, phones of similar quality cost a small fortune.

Edit: I had to unwrap the darn thing and look. It says "Bell Phones" "By Northwestern Bell Phones" then further down, "Made in Korea to Bell specifications." [lol]

--------------------
Explore, enjoy and protect the planet
---
AAMAH

Posts: 8532 | From: Michigan | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troberg

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troberg     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I was going to say, ANY corded phone works in a blackout situation! Either that, or I've imagined a couple different conversations over the course of my life . . .
Some, but many have conference speakers, phone books, caller ID with memory and stuff, which relies on external power to work. Some leech power of the line (for low power consumption thingies like phone books), but the phone company frowns on that and they are not certified for use in Sweden.

--------------------
/Troberg

Posts: 4360 | From: Borlänge, Sweden | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cervus

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cervus   E-mail Cervus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My parents and I are pretty "old school" when it comes to phones. We don't own rotaries (anymore) but none of us have caller ID or anything beyond a basic touchtone phone for the house. (My dad has a cell phone though.)

In their house, my parents have two (maybe three?) cordless phones and two AT&T phones from the 1980's. I've still got my first and only phone, one of those clear see-thru phones from the late 80's/early 90's. The cordless phones always give my parents problems with reception, but our corded phones are still working strong after 15+ years.

--------------------
"There is no constitutional right to sleep with endangered reptiles." -- Carl Hiaasen
Won't somebody please think of the adults!

Posts: 8254 | From: Florida | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Purple Cow
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Purple Cow   E-mail Purple Cow   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Troberg:
I've always wanted to take an old rotary phone and put a mobile phone inside, just to see the reaction I'd get when walking around with one of those, happily chattering away, the cord dragging behind me. It takes a bit too much electronics to go from pulse dial to tone dial, so I have not done that project yet.

I was messing around on Google for red rotary phones, and the first link I clicked was this:

Portable Rotary Phone

Thought of you, immediately. [Smile]

--------------------
No one ever wants the super boob.
-Dr. Heisler, American Dad

Baby Alex!

Posts: 233 | From: Roanoke, VA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mistletoey Chloe

Icon 08 posted      Profile for Mistletoey Chloe     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by nurple unagi:
quote:
You laugh, but SO's ex teenage daughter once failed to call her mom to pick her up. Her excuse: "It was one of those old phones, and I didn't know how to call the number."

Edit: I mean SO's ex's teenage daughter. He has no daughter, teenage, or ex-teenage. That I know of.

--------------------
~~Ai am in mai prrrrrraime!~~

Posts: 10111 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise   Author's Homepage   E-mail Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I remember sitting in 7th grade science class (1986) and having the teacher tell us about rotary phones as if there was no way any of us could possibly know what they were. We still had one at home, and it wasn't even that old at the time! We did also have a touch-tone phone, but we didn't actually have a tone dial - you'd press the key and wait for the clicks while it registered the number, which took just as long as it did on the rotary phone.

We finally got touch-tone when we moved to Virginia in 1989, but my parents still have an old rotary phone in their guestroom, hooked up and everything.

--------------------
Another lifetime I'd have fallen in love with you
Swept away by my feelings, ashamed and confused
But just now it's enough to be walking with you
Let the mystery play as it will! -Lui Collins

Posts: 2669 | From: Jouy en Josas, France | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
HenryChicane
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HenryChicane   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This thread made me miss the old black rotary that sat in my grandparent's living room until I was 15 or so. I might have to check out ebay and see if I can find one.

--------------------
http://www.myspace.com/ironhillpark

Posts: 75 | From: NewCastle, Delaware | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
WildaBeast
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WildaBeast   E-mail WildaBeast   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chloe:
Her excuse: "It was one of those old phones, and I didn't know how to call the number."

Well maybe it was an old phone like this. [Wink] I'd have no idea how to place a call with one of those.

--------------------
"Unseasonable is an odd word to begin with. It sounds like it's describing something that it's impossible to sprinkle pepper on." -- Nonny

Posts: 5483 | From: Just south of Folsom Prison, CA | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Christie
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Christie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think you clicked it to get the operator's attention and then just talked into the receiver and the operator would connect your call. My grandparents had one of those phones in their basement for years until one of my genius cousins sold it for a couple of magic beans [Roll Eyes] .

--------------------
If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, it's just possible you haven't grasped the situation. - Jean Kerr

Posts: 18428 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cervus

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cervus   E-mail Cervus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Didn't those phones have party lines, where you had to wait your turn to place a call because everyone else in the neighhborhood was using the line (and listening to everyone else's conversation)? I think on those phones you either clicked the receiver and/or were immediately connected to the operator, who would then connect you.

--------------------
"There is no constitutional right to sleep with endangered reptiles." -- Carl Hiaasen
Won't somebody please think of the adults!

Posts: 8254 | From: Florida | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sara at home

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sara at home   E-mail Sara at home   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Party line were still quite normal in the 50's and even into the '60's, the days of rotary phones. We had a two party line until I and the daughter of the people we shared a line with hit our teens. It was decided by both families that if anyone else ever wanted a chance to use the phone, it would be best to get one party lines for both families. Single, two and four party lines were available at that time.

On the other hand, when, as Christie described, you clicked the old style phone, you connected to the operator on The line. No parties involved, everyone shared the same line. Not everyone in the neighborhood was one the line because when those phones were popular, not every family had a phone.

--------------------
Assume that all my posts will be edited at least once. Dyslexic -- can't spell, can't type, can't proofread.

Posts: 8317 | From: Reading, PA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The phone system in Athens, OH supported only rotary phones as late as June 1984.

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Christie
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Christie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sara at home:

On the other hand, when, as Christie described, you clicked the old style phone, you connected to the operator on The line. No parties involved, everyone shared the same line. Not everyone in the neighborhood was one the line because when those phones were popular, not every family had a phone.

I can vaguely remember visiting an aunt in PEI who was on a partyline sometime in the late 60s (I really think I remember this - better check with my mom though to be sure) but I can clearly remember the days when not everyone had a phone and those who did only had one and it was basically bolted into the wall. Usually in the hallway for some reason.

--------------------
If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, it's just possible you haven't grasped the situation. - Jean Kerr

Posts: 18428 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Gibbie

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gibbie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My grandmother had a partyline until the last of the parties on the line wanted a private number. She had it well into the 70's, maybe even the 80's.

My parents had a rotary phone until a few years ago. They may have finally given it up when I gave them an answering machine. The old phone was hardwired in and they needed one with jacks.

Gibbie

--------------------
If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.

Posts: 3993 | From: Indiana | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brillo Bee
Wii Three Kings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brillo Bee     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
We had a partyline into the 80's, when I was a little kid and my parents were a young couple. We lived in a rural area and it was fairly common still. We shared it with the local gossip, my great-aunt Betty, and the phone in Betty's barn. I don't remember exactly when we got a private line, but we moved into that house in 1980, so my best guess is that it would have probably been 1981 or 1982.

Bee

--------------------
People do not wish to appear foolish; to avoid the appearance of foolishness, they are willing to remain actually fools. -Alice Walker

Posts: 335 | From: Minnesota | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mistletoey Chloe

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mistletoey Chloe     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My parents had a party line until well into the 1970s. We shared it with some elderly people up the street. If you picked it up and heard them talking, you had to wait until they were done.

They only gave up their rotary phone about ten years ago. Earlier this year, I finally bought them a cordless so they wouldn't have to stand in the freezing hallway (where the only jack is) to talk to me. They think it's lovely, but still haven't figured out that they can use both phones and both listen to the conversation at once. If they pick up at the same time, they both say "Put the phone down!" "No, I've got it, you put the phone down!"

--------------------
~~Ai am in mai prrrrrraime!~~

Posts: 10111 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Morgaine La Raq Star
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Morgaine La Raq Star   E-mail Morgaine La Raq Star   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My mom was talking about her grandmothers party line the other day. She remembers her mother, my grandmother, talking about how the party line helped the women support each other. Yes, there were probably some gossiping biddies but it was also used to 'keep up', so to speak. My great-grandmother would hear the ring & think 'That's Mrs. Smiths ring. Her son is in Germany right now (this would be around WWII). I should check on her later.' Since phones were such a rarity & so new, if you got a call, it was either really good news (new baby) or really bad news (death).

--------------------
I cannot live without books-Thomas Jefferson *~* A child educated only at school is an uneducated child - George Santayana
I'm going to pummel you with such zeal, Buddha will explode! *~* Never miss a good chance to shut up - Will Rogers

Posts: 6585 | From: Dallas/Fort Worth, TX | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brillo Bee:
We had a partyline into the 80's, when I was a little kid and my parents were a young couple. We lived in a rural area and it was fairly common still. We shared it with the local gossip, my great-aunt Betty, and the phone in Betty's barn. I don't remember exactly when we got a private line, but we moved into that house in 1980, so my best guess is that it would have probably been 1981 or 1982.

Bee

When we lived in Royalton (a genuinely small town in Minnesota, unlike medium-sized Brainerd), we had a party line, too. We lived out in the country, and it was something like 1978 or -9.

--------------------
"When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty."--George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 19266 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages