snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Non-UL Chat » Business Bytes » Kraft Foods: Catering to the Lazy Pig in Us All

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Kraft Foods: Catering to the Lazy Pig in Us All
Ryda Wong, EBfCo.
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ryda Wong, EBfCo.   E-mail Ryda Wong, EBfCo.   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, I guess the more positive way would be to say they've resolved that whole too many buns for not enough hot dogs package situation:

Fast Franks

Photo

--------------------
So many spankings! It feels so good! But at the same time, I don't care about meeting your family! - I'mNotDedalus:

Posts: 3216 | From: Denver, CO | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snapdragonfly
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snapdragonfly     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
35 seconds? You have to wait a whole 35 seconds? How inconvenient. Also it doesn't come already with mustard and relish.

--------------------
"Wolves, dragons and vampires, man. Draw the nut-bars like big ol' nut-bar magnets." ~evilrabbit

(snurched because one of my nutbar family members is all about wolves and another one is all about dragons...)(with apologies to surfcitydogdad)

Posts: 2397 | From: Texarkana, TX | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
I saw Mommy kismet Santa Claus

Icon 1 posted      Profile for I saw Mommy kismet Santa Claus   E-mail I saw Mommy kismet Santa Claus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hmm. I can already microwave a hotdog in less than a minute. Without a special tray. For cheaper. And wasting less landfill space with less packaging.

Are there really people who will buy this to save themselves 10 seconds of microwaving and the effort of putting the dog in the bun?

But then, I didn't think anyone would buy pre-made frozen pbj sandwiches, and they are flying off the shelves. Weird.

Posts: 2115 | From: Texas | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ryda Wong, EBfCo.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ryda Wong, EBfCo.   E-mail Ryda Wong, EBfCo.   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Although, now that I posted this, I'm dying for a hotdog. Weird.

--------------------
So many spankings! It feels so good! But at the same time, I don't care about meeting your family! - I'mNotDedalus:

Posts: 3216 | From: Denver, CO | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
babyshoes
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for babyshoes   E-mail babyshoes   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by kismet:

Are there really people who will buy this to save themselves 10 seconds of microwaving and the effort of putting the dog in the bun?

Probably. The few times I've been in grocery stores lately, I've been amazed at all the "convenience" foods there are. Definately weird. Or, at least, not to my taste...

--------------------
"When Jesus said to love your enemies, I think he meant don't kill them." from a song by Linda K. Williams

Posts: 124 | From: Rappahannock County, VA | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise   Author's Homepage   E-mail Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ryda Wong:

Lucky me, reading this just two blocks from Mustard's Last Stand. Thanks a lot! [Razz]

--------------------
Another lifetime I'd have fallen in love with you
Swept away by my feelings, ashamed and confused
But just now it's enough to be walking with you
Let the mystery play as it will! -Lui Collins

Posts: 2669 | From: Jouy en Josas, France | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ladycrissdean
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ladycrissdean     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This is why one should marry someone who loves to cook. That way you can leave all the weird food for college students. Who are a strange breed all on their own. [Smile]

--------------------
Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Posts: 138 | From: Lawrence, Kansas | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Giselle

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Giselle     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
That is ridiculous.
Fast to me means I get to tube feed it directly into my stomach. Actually fast to me means they tube feed it directly into my stomach.

--------------------
Ralphie, get off the stage sweetheart.

Posts: 2041 | From: Yuba City, California | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ryda Wong, EBfCo.

quote:
Originally posted by Ramblin' Dave, ramblin' again:
quote:
Originally posted by Ryda Wong:

Lucky me, reading this just two blocks from Mustard's Last Stand. Thanks a lot! [Razz]
I'm three blocks from the Boulder location right now. AND there's about three hot dog carts between there and here. I will resist, though.

I think I'm gonna do Salvaggio's instead. It's marginally more healthy.

--------------------

unklesamta
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for unklesamta   E-mail unklesamta   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Or as the great Homer Simpson said when referring to microwaved food "thirty seconds?? but i want it now"

--------------------
The less you know, the more you believe. -Bono

Posts: 457 | From: Philadelphia, PA | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Eddylizard
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eddylizard     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Those things have been out for years now, haven't they? Along with the microwave burger.

And they are utterly vile, even compared with hot dogs and burgers prepared in the more traditional fashion. The bun ends up soggy, and he 'meat' element is dry and tasteless. Plus somewhat expensive.

But sales seem to be healthy, judging by the shelves in my local Co-op.

--------------------
"Ladies and gentlemen, this is what is commonly known as money. It comes in all sizes, colours, and denominations - like people."

Posts: 997 | From: Maidstone, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rhiandmoi
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rhiandmoi   E-mail Rhiandmoi   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I figure that even though that show this product in regular retail packaging, this is really for vending machines.

--------------------
I think that hyperbole is the single greatest factor contributing to the decline of society. - My friend Pat.

What is .02 worth?

Posts: 8745 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DemonWolf

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DemonWolf     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My thought was that this would be great for kids who are old enough to be left home alone, but not quite old enough that a parent feels comfortable with them cooking on the stove.

For example, my mother would leave me home at age 12, but wasn't really comfortable with my cooking unsupervised until I was 15 or 16, but we also had a gas stove that could be a little trticky.

Another situation would be a dormroom where refridgerators and microwaves are allowed, but stoves and hotplates are not. It allows for a meal without having to stop studing.

--------------------
Friends are like skittles: they come in many colors, and some are fruity!

IMJW-052804

Posts: 7224 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rhiandmoi

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rhiandmoi   E-mail Rhiandmoi   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Another situation would be a dormroom where refridgerators and microwaves are allowed, but stoves and hotplates are not. It allows for a meal without having to stop studing.
I totally forgot about the dorm room situation. This would have been really handy, as it was I walked down to the vending machines (across campus) in the middle of the night plenty of times to get a late night snack. It would have been really nice for the times when I couldn't find anyone to walk down with.

--------------------
I think that hyperbole is the single greatest factor contributing to the decline of society. - My friend Pat.

What is .02 worth?

Posts: 8745 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ali_marea
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ali_marea   E-mail ali_marea   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yeah, I'm with DemonWolf.

Personally I'd never do this because the cost is way high for something I could easily do myself. And my version would taste better.

But for kids, this is a good way for them to make something themselves without danger of getting hurt (or burning down the kitchen. [Wink] )

I don't love the product, but I understand why it exists. And I don't think it's so people can be 'lazy pigs'.

--------------------
28 days, 6 hours, 42 minutes, and 12 seconds. That is when the world will end.

Posts: 7158 | From: D.C. | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
guruwan2b

Icon 1 posted      Profile for guruwan2b   Author's Homepage   E-mail guruwan2b   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My daughter is 11 and she loves to microwave Ramen. I don't know if it is the Ramen itself, or the fact that she fixed it that she likes the most.

--------------------
Too much of this navel gazing and we'll disappear up our own arses.
Danvers Carew

Posts: 7465 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
geminilee
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for geminilee   E-mail geminilee   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The kids can't microwave a regular hotdog and add the bun themselves? It really is not that hard, if a kid can work the microwave at all, then he can open a bag and stick a hotdog on a bun.

--------------------
"Accompanied by the ghosts of dolphins, the ghost of a ship sailed on..." Terry Pratchett

Posts: 660 | From: Gainesville, FL | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rhiandmoi

But will the kid put the hotdogs back in the ziploc bag, put that back it the refirgerator, then put the twist tie back on the bread bag, and put the rest of the buns back in the bread box? Because one of the reason that my brother and I were not allowed to prepare snacks afterschool was failure to clean up afterwards resulting in containers of food being left out on the counter open all the time.

--------------------

What is .02 worth?

I saw Mommy kismet Santa Claus

Icon 1 posted      Profile for I saw Mommy kismet Santa Claus   E-mail I saw Mommy kismet Santa Claus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I would think anyone with access to a fridge and microwave could do the old-fashioned way just as easily as this "improved" way. Kids, college students, anybody. I can see the Easy Mac thing being easier when there's no stove or the kid can't use it, but hot dogs already work fine in the microwave!
Posts: 2115 | From: Texas | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rhiandmoi:
But will the kid put the hotdogs back in the ziploc bag, put that back it the refirgerator, then put the twist tie back on the bread bag, and put the rest of the buns back in the bread box? Because one of the reason that my brother and I were not allowed to prepare snacks afterschool was failure to clean up afterwards resulting in containers of food being left out on the counter open all the time.

Kids have to learn to clean up after themselves sometime. If they're old enough to be home without an adult, they're old enough to clean up after themselves. Your mom's approach, when that didn't happen, was to ban snacks. Mine would be to wait until the kid was busy doing something they really enjoyed, and then interrupt them to make them come clean up. Oh, and to dock their allowance for any wasted food.

A third approach would be to provide this new product, which allows the child to have the snack, not clean up after him/herself, and not face any consequences for not doing so.

Your mother's approach and mine are, IMO, more likely to teach the child the importance of cleaning up after him/herself. YMMV.

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
GenYus
Away in a Manager's Special

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GenYus   E-mail GenYus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It is not a real microwaved hot dog unless the ends "blossom".

Rhiandmoi, unless the kids eat all three dogs in the package, there is still the problem about not putting it away.

--------------------
IIRC, it wasn't the shoe bomber's loud prayers that sparked the takedown by the other passengers; it was that he was trying to light his shoe on fire. Very, very different. Canuckistan

Posts: 3694 | From: Arizona | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rhiandmoi

My dorm fridge was about 2 cubic feet. Storing the hotdogs in the buns saves valuable pudding cup space! 'Course you could stick the hotdogs in the buns yourself, but then you have the 8 hot dogs 6 buns problem.

--------------------

What is .02 worth?

DawnStorm
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 19 posted      Profile for DawnStorm   E-mail DawnStorm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by DemonWolf:

It allows for a meal without having to stop studing.

A degree in being in gigalo?! [Eek!]

--------------------
Leashes?! We don't need no stinking leashes!!

Posts: 4771 | From: The Berkeley of the East Coast: Montgomery County MD | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snapdragonfly

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snapdragonfly     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
DawnStorm, you SO omank!!!

--------------------
"Wolves, dragons and vampires, man. Draw the nut-bars like big ol' nut-bar magnets." ~evilrabbit

(snurched because one of my nutbar family members is all about wolves and another one is all about dragons...)(with apologies to surfcitydogdad)

Posts: 2397 | From: Texarkana, TX | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ryda Wong, EBfCo.

quote:
Originally posted by Rhiandmoi:

Wow. You're a nice mom. By the time we were toddlers, we would have gotten our asses whooped if we had left food out like that.

--------------------

unklesamta
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for unklesamta   E-mail unklesamta   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
You mean she had a nice mom. And were in the same boat. We were taught to use the stove by the time we were in third grade, cause if we were hungry, we were able to go fix something ourselves. And we sure as hell better clean up after ourselves.

--------------------
The less you know, the more you believe. -Bono

Posts: 457 | From: Philadelphia, PA | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Communication Attempt
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Communication Attempt   E-mail Communication Attempt       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kraft.com:
...making a delicious all-in-one hot after-school snack for kids...

If your kid is eating hot dogs as a snack,he could use all the exercise he can get.

--------------------
"I love God,he's so deliciously evil!" -Stewie,Family Guy

The fun thing about standards is that they come in so many varieties.

Posts: 510 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages