snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Non-UL Chat » Business Bytes » U r sckd: worker fired by text message

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: U r sckd: worker fired by text message
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 506 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A company has defended its decision to sack one of its staff by text message, claiming it was keeping in touch with youth culture.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20060804/od_afp/britaintelecomjobs_060804153828

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ariadne
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ariadne   E-mail Ariadne   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Nice. I got broken up with via a message on my dorm room door's dry erase board once, but this would be even worse.

When I saw the title, my first thought was "You are sucked." That didn't seem very work appropriate!

--------------------
saxea ut effigies bacchantis prospicit eheu | prospicit et magnis curarum fluctuat undis
-Catullus

Posts: 435 | From: Iowa | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Purple Iguana
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Purple Iguana   Author's Homepage   E-mail Purple Iguana   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
That's... um... wow...

I think if I got fired by text message, I would challenge it. Not to keep my job, because I wouldn't want to work with/for schmucks who think it's acceptable to do the equivalent of breaking up with someone via fax... but because I think something like losing your job should require some amount of physical contact, your boss looking you in the eye and defending their reasons should they be challenged.

What to they expect? Send a text message like that and ignore when the ex-employee responds back "WTF??"

--------------------
They just don't make crazed, beserk robots like they used to. --Sheen Estevez, Jimmy Neutron, Boy Genius

If I manage to post something swipe-worthy that you would like to make your sig, you may do so with my blessing.

Posts: 2486 | From: East Stroudsburg, PA | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cold DecEmbra Brings The Sleet
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cold DecEmbra Brings The Sleet   E-mail Cold DecEmbra Brings The Sleet   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Accident Group employees won "protective awards" in a 2003 Tribunal decision when they were informed by text that their wages would not be paid.

Interesting that Blue Banana, the company in the OP, chooses this moment to reveal its "yoof" credentials: discrimination in employment on the basis of age will become unlawful here as of 1 October, and Tribunals will be able to use a company's behaviour prior to that date as evidence. The new legislation doesn't just refer to "old" people: all age groups are protected (I know, I know, I'm waiting "excitedly" for the test cases as well. My excuse is it's my job...)

[Wink]

--------------------
I want you to lay down your life, Perkins. We need a futile gesture at this stage. It will raise the whole tone of the war.

Posts: 4495 | From: Surrey, UK | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lonely Mountain
Jingle All the Layaway

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lonely Mountain   E-mail Lonely Mountain   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The only thing that makes it seem not as evil is that the company claims that they tried to call her five or six times and she never answered and so they used the text message as a last resort. Their excuse of keeping in touch with youth culture is the biggest bunch of baloney that I've heard today.

--------------------
"Tis too much proved that with devotion's visage and pious action we do sugar o'er the devil himself." - Hamlet

Posts: 344 | From: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Richard W
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard W   E-mail Richard W   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Even so, you'd have thought they could wait until she came in the next day. (Unless she'd had so many unexplained absences that they didn't think she'd turn up). Sacking her by phone while she's off sick seems just as bad.
Posts: 8725 | From: Ipswich - the UK's 9th Best Place to Sleep! | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Griffin at the Maul
Joyeux New Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Griffin at the Maul     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Why was it so imperative that they fire her on that day? Why not wait until the next day, when she comes to work?

ETA- Spanked by Richard...

--------------------
Where are we going, and why are we in this handbasket?

Posts: 782 | From: Arlington, TX | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TurquoiseGirl
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TurquoiseGirl   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lonely Mountain:
The only thing that makes it seem not as evil is that the company claims that they tried to call her five or six times and she never answered and so they used the text message as a last resort. Their excuse of keeping in touch with youth culture is the biggest bunch of baloney that I've heard today.

What would be wrong with texting her to call in?

--------------------
There are people who drive really nice cars who feel that [those] cars won't be as special if other people drive them too. Where I come from, we call those people "selfish self-satisfied gits." -Chloe

Posts: 6995 | From: New Mexico | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
unbroken
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for unbroken   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Amazing. I wonder if you could also show up to work falling-down drunk and claim you were just doing what all the young people are doing these days. "Pass the alcopops! Go youth culture!"

--------------------
Oddly enough, the island of Ireland looks remarkably like a small old man driving an old Ford Fiesta.

Posts: 950 | From: Dublin | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Christie
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Christie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TurquoiseGirl:
quote:
Originally posted by Lonely Mountain:

What would be wrong with texting her to call in?
Also, while I don't personally suffer from migraines, from what I understand from those who do, the last thing someone is doing is sitting around answering their phone. If the young woman was legitimately off due to a migraine then surely she was treating it the way most do? Which would likely mean the phone was turned off.

--------------------
If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, it's just possible you haven't grasped the situation. - Jean Kerr

Posts: 18428 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
zman977
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zman977   Author's Homepage   E-mail zman977   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My wife can simpathize with this as she was fired over the phone. I talked about this in the rantadote section back in June, They tried to call her on her day off, I took the message the first time they called. The connecting with the youth of today is just a ridiculious statement. Any fireing not done in person is a cowerdly act. She's better off not working there. I put them in the same boat as my wifes former employer, a bunch of cowards.

--------------------
Check out the podcast at www.candidradio.com

Ever notice how we always fall in love? We never climb gently in to love, or step lightly in to love. If love is such a good thing than why is it described as a fall.

Posts: 918 | From: La Salle Illinois USA | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
MaxKaladin
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MaxKaladin   E-mail MaxKaladin   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Griffin 2020:
Why was it so imperative that they fire her on that day? Why not wait until the next day, when she comes to work?

I was once fired on the last day of a six month probationary period. In fact, They not only waited until the last day, they waited until about 15 minutes before I was scheduled to go home. If they had waited one more day, two things would have happened. (A) I would have become a member of a union that would act on my behalf. (B) They would have been required to provide a reason for firing me -- something they adamantly refused to do. Perhaps this situation is similar -- they wanted to fire her before she passed some landmark that would have been inconvenient for them in some way.
Posts: 716 | From: San Antonio, TX | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
First of Two
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for First of Two   Author's Homepage   E-mail First of Two   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Christie:
Also, while I don't personally suffer from migraines, from what I understand from those who do, the last thing someone is doing is sitting around answering their phone. If the young woman was legitimately off due to a migraine then surely she was treating it the way most do? Which would likely mean the phone was turned off.

I've talked about J's migraines.
We turn off the ringer,and turn on the answering machine, which is far away from the bedroom where she usually rests from her migraines. Works pretty good.

--------------------
"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for western civilization as it commits suicide." - Jerry Pournelle

Posts: 14567 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My migraines are much less severe than J's, and I certainly wouldn't be answering the phone. Conversation of any type can be very difficult with a migraine, for a number of reasons (sensitivity to sound, nausea, mental confusion). Trying to talk on the phone could only be worse.

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Johnny Slick
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Johnny Slick   E-mail Johnny Slick   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MaxKaladin:
quote:
Originally posted by Griffin 2020:

I was once fired on the last day of a six month probationary period. In fact, They not only waited until the last day, they waited until about 15 minutes before I was scheduled to go home. If they had waited one more day, two things would have happened. (A) I would have become a member of a union that would act on my behalf. (B) They would have been required to provide a reason for firing me -- something they adamantly refused to do. Perhaps this situation is similar -- they wanted to fire her before she passed some landmark that would have been inconvenient for them in some way.
In fairness, I've heard that it's considered a good move to fire someone at the end of their shift. I'm not exactly sure why that is - maybe by the end of the day some people just want to go home and will be more accepting of getting canned - but that's what I've heard.

--------------------
Give big space to the festive dog that makes sport in roadway. Avoid entanglement of dog with wheel spokes.

Posts: 4267 | From: Seattle | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny Slick:
In fairness, I've heard that it's considered a good move to fire someone at the end of their shift. I'm not exactly sure why that is - maybe by the end of the day some people just want to go home and will be more accepting of getting canned - but that's what I've heard.

I've heard that, too, and the explanation I've heard is that you don't want the remaining workers to talk about the firing all day.

--------------------

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Purple Iguana
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Purple Iguana   Author's Homepage   E-mail Purple Iguana   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I just wanted to comment that last Friday, I saw them fire an employee by text message on the USA television show "Psych." It reminded me of this thread, so I thought I would post, even tho the comments on this topic seem to have come to an end.

--------------------
They just don't make crazed, beserk robots like they used to. --Sheen Estevez, Jimmy Neutron, Boy Genius

If I manage to post something swipe-worthy that you would like to make your sig, you may do so with my blessing.

Posts: 2486 | From: East Stroudsburg, PA | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie

PI, I saw that, too!

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages