snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Non-UL Chat » Business Bytes » Bill Gates doesn't want to be the world's richest man

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bill Gates doesn't want to be the world's richest man
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 606 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Microsoft co-founder Bill Gates told an online advertising conference that he'd prefer not to be the richest person in the world.

http://www.azcentral.com/offbeat/articles/0503microsoft-gates03-ON.html

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
First of Two
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for First of Two   Author's Homepage   E-mail First of Two   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, that should be an easy enough problem to solve. [Roll Eyes]

50 billion... pick 999,999 people and give them each $50,000. (I get the last 50K for suggesting this brilliant plan)

Of course that would leave him broke, so he should wait until just before the new Windows OS comes out, so the influx of new cash will keep him afloat.

Hurry up, Bill.

--------------------
"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for western civilization as it commits suicide." - Jerry Pournelle

Posts: 14567 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troberg
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troberg     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, if he doesn't want to be rich, he's extremely bad at what he is doing...

--------------------
/Troberg

Posts: 4360 | From: Borlänge, Sweden | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troberg

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troberg     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Of course that would leave him broke, so he should wait until just before the new Windows OS comes out, so the influx of new cash will keep him afloat.
From what I've seen of it this far, it's more likely to sink him once and for all...

--------------------
/Troberg

Posts: 4360 | From: Borlänge, Sweden | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
robbiev - singin' off key
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for robbiev - singin' off key   Author's Homepage   E-mail robbiev - singin' off key   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
All he has to do is start sending out those checks he promised if we forwarded his emails. I've been waiting for mine for several years now!

--------------------
Every time I see a good looking woman, I think, "0oooh. There's another one I'll never have!"

Corvette. The louder you scream, the faster I'll go.

Posts: 1820 | From: Memphis, TN | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Remarkgullabull

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Remarkgullabull     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
waffles

--------------------
Love does not consist of gazing at each other, but in looking together in the same direction - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Posts: 1961 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Remarkgullabull

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Remarkgullabull     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I've been waiting for mine for several years now!
I wouldn't hold my breathe waiting if I were you... [Wink]

--------------------
Love does not consist of gazing at each other, but in looking together in the same direction - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Posts: 1961 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lotta Palaver
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 605 posted      Profile for Lotta Palaver         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I wished I sucked at trying not to be rich as Gates!

--------------------
Your ultimate source of superfluous flummery.

Posts: 595 | From: South Carolina | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DawnStorm
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 605 posted      Profile for DawnStorm   E-mail DawnStorm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Money may not buy happiness but it can sure make misery more enjoyable. [Big Grin]
Mr. Gates, you can make that check out to Mark and Dawn, let me spell our last name; P-A-L....

--------------------
Leashes?! We don't need no stinking leashes!!

Posts: 4771 | From: The Berkeley of the East Coast: Montgomery County MD | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
robbiev - singin' off key

Icon 05 posted      Profile for robbiev - singin' off key   Author's Homepage   E-mail robbiev - singin' off key   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Remarkgullabull:
quote:
I've been waiting for mine for several years now!
I wouldn't hold my breathe waiting if I were you... [Wink]
What? Are you saying it ain't true?

Darn... [Razz]

--------------------
Every time I see a good looking woman, I think, "0oooh. There's another one I'll never have!"

Corvette. The louder you scream, the faster I'll go.

Posts: 1820 | From: Memphis, TN | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nion
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nion         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
We're missing a key point here, though . . .

He said he wishes he wasn't the richest man in the world, but he isn't trying very hard to make that wish come true, now is he? [Wink]

--------------------
It can't rain all the time.

Posts: 1102 | From: Iowa | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Andrew of Ware, England
A-Ware in a Manger

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andrew of Ware, England   Author's Homepage   E-mail Andrew of Ware, England   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Troberg:
Well, if he doesn't want to be rich, he's extremely bad at what he is doing...

He, or is company, is also very bad at doing what has made him rich.

--------------------
Andrew, Ware, England

Posts: 1709 | From: Ware, England | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Singing in the Drizzle
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Singing in the Drizzle     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by First of Two:
Well, that should be an easy enough problem to solve. [Roll Eyes]

50 billion... pick 999,999 people and give them each $50,000. (I get the last 50K for suggesting this brilliant plan)

Hurry up, Bill.

It is not that easy. Most of his money it tied up in stocks. With the amount of money he has invested, he is not aloud to sell it to fast. This is common for people that hold large shares of company stock.
Posts: 597 | From: Bellingham, WA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Communication Attempt
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Communication Attempt   E-mail Communication Attempt       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm more than willing to share his,ummm,burden...yeah burden!

If he doesn't like being the richest man in the world,he should just get a sex change!

Communication "What?That's not the problem?" Attempt

--------------------
"I love God,he's so deliciously evil!" -Stewie,Family Guy

The fun thing about standards is that they come in so many varieties.

Posts: 510 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Elkhound
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elkhound         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
J.C. Penny, the department store man, once said, "The man who dies rich, dies disgraced." He gave away most of his money to various charities.

Where would public libraries be without Andrew Carnegie?

The Dukes, the Vanderbilts, and the Reynolds, and the Rockafellers founded major universities with their money. (Duke, Vanderbilt, Winston-Salem, University of Chicago.)

Wealth gives power, which can be used for good or for ill.

--------------------
"The bicycle is the most civilized conveyance known to man. Other forms of transport grow daily more nightmarish. Only the bicycle remains pure in heart."--Iris Murdoch

Posts: 3307 | From: Charleston, WV | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kitten in the rain
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kitten in the rain     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd like to note that last I checked, Bill Gates was one of the most charitable men on earth in terms of amount of money given to charities. Maybe THE most charitable man on earth. There are a lot of things that I don't like about Microsoft, but I can't really hate him, because I think a lot of people in his place wouldn't be quite so generous.
Posts: 533 | From: Davis, CA | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ganzfeld
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ganzfeld     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
That's true, Kitten. I think he and his wife have been thoughtful about what they support.
Posts: 4922 | From: Kyoto, Japan | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troberg

quote:
He, or is company, is also very bad at doing what has made him rich.
In other words, we, the customers, are to blame.

quote:
There are a lot of things that I don't like about Microsoft, but I can't really hate him, because I think a lot of people in his place wouldn't be quite so generous.
Frankly, I think he is primarily a technology nerd who happened to strike gold. I think his primary motivation has always been technology rather than money. Also, Microsoft did not take a huge turn for the worse until after he stepped back and others, who where more motivated by money than technology, took the steering wheel.

--------------------
/Troberg

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages