snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Non-UL Chat » Business Bytes » Salads or No, Cheap Burgers Revive McDonald's

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Salads or No, Cheap Burgers Revive McDonald's
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 23 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
McDonald's has attracted considerable attention in the last few years for introducing to its menu healthy food items like salads and fruit. Yet its turnaround has come not from greater sales of healthy foods but from selling more fast-food basics, like double cheeseburgers and fried chicken sandwiches, from the Dollar Menu.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/04/19/business/19mcdonalds.html

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Communication Attempt
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Communication Attempt   E-mail Communication Attempt       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Not surprising.No matter how much they try to change their image,McDs is still a fast food joint where people can get a quick McGreasy on the go.I never heard anyone say "I feel like eating a light salad...Let's go to McDonalds!"

--------------------
"I love God,he's so deliciously evil!" -Stewie,Family Guy

The fun thing about standards is that they come in so many varieties.

Posts: 510 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
terralioness
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for terralioness   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think that the presence of salads and healthy options on the menu makes it easier for a person who is peripherally aware of health issues to walk in the door of McDonald's, and I'm pretty sure that's what gets some of my age group to go in.

McDonald's definitely markets to the young urban crowd, though since I don't watch a lot of traditionally black or Hispanic programming I don't see the really pointedly directed stuff. They did run a series of ads (just in urban areas?) showing various ways that people try to save money in the city, like an answering machine with 8-10 roommates' names on it or a six-floor walkup. They contrasted this with the dollar menu as "another way to save money."

--------------------
"I never liked Hemingway."
"I never liked you."

Posts: 543 | From: Brooklyn, NY | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages