snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Non-UL Chat » Business Bytes » The Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum!
Gibbie
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 303 posted      Profile for Gibbie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The Kentucky Derby Gets Its First Sponsor
quote:
Yum! Brands Inc., based in Louisville, becomes the first named sponsor of the Derby at Churchill Downs, and the race will be referred to as the Kentucky Derby, presented by Yum! Brands, it was announced Wednesday.
This is just wrong.

Gibbie

--------------------
If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.

Posts: 3993 | From: Indiana | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Deansinger
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Deansinger   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Dang. Counldn't they at least get a hatmaker's shop, or Jim Beam to sponsor? A bookie, maybe? Then it would at lest be a related product or service. The closest it comes is Yum! owns KFC, but even though that shares the name of the state, I can't really connect them.

--------------------
It doesn't matter if you're wrong.. Be Wrong Loud!

Posts: 398 | From: Fallon, NV | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Zorro
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zorro     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
*screams in agony*

FOR THE LOVE OF GAWD, IS NOTHING IN THIS WORLD SACRED ANYMORE??? [flame]

--------------------
"Seize the day! Make your lives extraordinary!"
-John Keating, "Dead Poets Society"

Posts: 2861 | From: New Jersey | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Pogue Ma-humbug
Happy Christmas (Malls are Open)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pogue Ma-humbug   E-mail Pogue Ma-humbug   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Deansinger:
Dang. Counldn't they at least get a hatmaker's shop, or Jim Beam to sponsor?

Jim Beam used to sponsor the Jim Beam Stakes at Turfway Park in Kentucky. But the company pulled out years ago.

Anyway, good luck in persuading everyone not to keep calling it, simply, the Derby.

Pogue

--------------------
Let's drink to the causes in your life:
Your family, your friends, the union, your wife.

Posts: 11325 | From: Kentucky | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DawnStorm
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 37 posted      Profile for DawnStorm   E-mail DawnStorm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've nothing against corporate sponsorship, but for the love of Pete, I wish they would keep the sponsor's name out of the race!! [flame]
It'll always be the Derby to me and while there are many many derbies, when we US racing fans say The Derby, we know which one we mean.
Anyway, the Breeders Cup races have had sponsors for years, so instead of the Breeders Cup Classic, it's the Breeders Cup Classic--Powered by Dodge. Tacky tacky tacky. [Eek!] Then there is the Budweiser Irish Derby. Ditto on the tacky. [Razz]
If it was up to me, the races would keep their original names, but somewhere along the line, the sponsor's name would be mentioned. I think the that Jim Beam has gone back to its original name: the Spiral Stakes. It's an important Derby prep. For a while, it was the Galleryfurniture.com Stakes--UGH!!! [Razz]

--------------------
Leashes?! We don't need no stinking leashes!!

Posts: 4771 | From: The Berkeley of the East Coast: Montgomery County MD | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages