snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Non-UL Chat » Business Bytes » Princess of Whales doll

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Princess of Whales doll
Mosherette
Deck the Malls

Icon 506 posted      Profile for Mosherette     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I really, really don't know which section this should go in!!

My sister sent me this this morning (in German) saying "apparently there is a new Diana doll that says things like "I want to be the princess of hearts" but the the manuafacturers have written Princess of Whales on the box instead of Wales. Di fans are outraged because it has too much make up and its hips are too wide...I think it must be bollocks?! (but the tagesschau is the most serious news here!)"

I looked at the Daily Mirror's website and found this, which I presume is what the German report is based on, but I can't find anything from more reputable sources such as the BBC. Can anyone shed any more light on it?!

--------------------
Silence should never under any circumstances be construed as agreement. A lot of the time, it's simply a reflection that someone just said something so stupid that no response could possibly do it justice. - Ramblin' Dave

Posts: 8528 | From: Nottingham, England | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay Tea
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Tea   E-mail Jay Tea   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Nope - i've not come across this this morning, but perhaps they should cut their loses and tie the dolls in with the recent media-hype concerning the Thames whale with the broken GPS? Y'know, each doll comes with a certificate of authenticity and a blob of ambergris etc etc.

--------------------
This is where I come up with something right? Something really clever...

Posts: 6552 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Don Enrico
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don Enrico   E-mail Don Enrico   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It's been in the "Frankfurter Rundschau", too, and that's a respected broad sheet newspaper. Plus, you can order it online, but it only says "Princess Diana" there.

So, the doll is real, but I can't vouch for the "of Whales" part.

Don "She had a Princess of Hearts, as big as a whale" Enrico

--------------------
My spelling is Wobbly. It's good spelling, but it Wobbles, and the letters get in the wrong places. - Pooh Bear

Posts: 2209 | From: Hamburg, Germany | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Major D. Saster
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Major D. Saster         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Don Enrico:
Plus, you can order it online,

Ewww - did you have a look at the rest of the collection ? [Eek!]

I really wonder who would like to have a Nixon doll...

And I also wonder where they've got the "certificate of authenticity" for the Jesus one (OK, at least Moses looks like Charlton Heston in the movie) [lol]

Anyway - this company deserves an award for Kitsch.

--------------------
Desperate, but not serious.

Posts: 689 | From: Confoederatio Helvetica | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troberg
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troberg     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I liked the Einstein action figure, too bad they didn't have a Niels Bohr action figure so I could stage some exciting fights!

--------------------
/Troberg

Posts: 4360 | From: Borlänge, Sweden | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Izzy Quigley
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Izzy Quigley   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Is it just me, or does the Eisenhower doll resemble a kabuki?

--------------------
A Viennese fellow is walking along the Karntner Strasse and notices a banana peel lying in his path. "Alas," he sighs, "now I must slip and fall down!"

Posts: 506 | From: Missouri | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tootsie Plunkette
Buy a Torch, Jeanette, Isabella

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tootsie Plunkette   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The Diana doll looks more like Laura Bush.

--------------------
--Tootsie

Posts: 5017 | From: Greater Seattle | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Floater
Xboxing Day

Icon 204 posted      Profile for Floater   Author's Homepage   E-mail Floater   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Izzy Quigley:
Is it just me, or does the Eisenhower doll resemble a kabuki?

He looks like slimmer version of Danish populist politician Mogens Glistrup to me.

Wikipedia article.

--------------------
Små hönor skall inte lägga stora ägg för då blir de slarviga i ändan

Posts: 1334 | From: Sweden | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Don Enrico

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don Enrico   E-mail Don Enrico   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Troberg:
I liked the Einstein action figure, too bad they didn't have a Niels Bohr action figure so I could stage some exciting fights!

Did you see that you can vote for the next doll to be produced on their site?

Don "Niels Bohr for ToyPresident!" Enrico

--------------------
My spelling is Wobbly. It's good spelling, but it Wobbles, and the letters get in the wrong places. - Pooh Bear

Posts: 2209 | From: Hamburg, Germany | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Don Enrico

From the site:
quote:
The Toypresidents ™ political collectibles series is dedicated to delivering to you a greater understanding of freely elected government officials ...
No wonder they messed up with a British (Ex-)Royal!
quote:
The action figures contain small parts that can be pulled off (such as the hands and head) ...
Now that might be useful with Royals...

--------------------

Deansinger
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Deansinger   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
All the presidents have something to say, except Andrew ackson. What, did he never say anything worth repeating? Man, I'll bet he's looking at this from the afterlife, just getting PO'd.

--------------------
It doesn't matter if you're wrong.. Be Wrong Loud!

Posts: 398 | From: Fallon, NV | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Deansinger
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Deansinger   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Wow.. somehow I didn't expect Moses and Jesus (with certificates of authenticity) to sound so... American.

--------------------
It doesn't matter if you're wrong.. Be Wrong Loud!

Posts: 398 | From: Fallon, NV | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Gale
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gale     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Kee-rist! I just snorted water up my nose. I never noticed Woodrow Wilson bears such a striking resemblance to Bela Lugosi. Nor did I realize that Winston Churchill and Edward G. Robinson were cousins.

Gayle "you dirty rat"

Posts: 4811 | From: Austin, TX | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
STF
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for STF   Author's Homepage   E-mail STF   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The first Clinton almost looks like a Reagan doll to me and the second one looks...well...nothing like Clinton.

--------------------
STF on MySpace

Posts: 5186 | From: Coweta County, GA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Major D. Saster
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Major D. Saster         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I also didn't realise Ronald Reagan had been elected when he was 30.

As for Nixon's voice, they didn't include his most famous line : "I am not a crook" [Razz] ...

Besides, I guess they had their sweet time trying to find a few "bushism-free" sentences correctly spelled by the current POTUS...

And the Pope... oh, the Pope [lol] ... I guess this is how he looks NOW.

These dolls are really terrible. Displayed together, they must look like a gathering of the Addams Family. [lol]

--------------------
Desperate, but not serious.

Posts: 689 | From: Confoederatio Helvetica | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Phaedra
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Phaedra   E-mail Phaedra   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hilarious...just look what they've done to Winston Churchill. [lol]

I wonder if The Memorial Foundation know about the talking Diana doll. According to this article they are in a constant battle to retain copyright over her "intellectual property rights" whatever they might be.

Posts: 589 | From: Oxfordshire, UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Andrew of Ware, England
A-Ware in a Manger

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andrew of Ware, England   Author's Homepage   E-mail Andrew of Ware, England   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Don Enrico:
It's been in the "Frankfurter Rundschau", too, and that's a respected broad sheet newspaper. Plus, you can order it online, but it only says "Princess Diana" there.

The site says that
quote:
Production will be limited to only 10,000 units
If they sell even a tenth of that they will be doing well.

--------------------
Andrew, Ware, England

Posts: 1709 | From: Ware, England | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brad from Georgia
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brad from Georgia   Author's Homepage   E-mail Brad from Georgia   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
If you buy the "Moses" doll, don't try to play with it in the bathtub. The water keeps separating.

--------------------
"No hard feelin's and HOPpy New Year!"--Walt Kelly
Hear what you're missing: ARTC podcasts! http://artcpodcast.org/

Posts: 7581 | From: Gainesville, Georgia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
GenYus
Away in a Manager's Special

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GenYus   E-mail GenYus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by STF:
The first Clinton almost looks like a Reagan doll to me and the second one looks...well...nothing like Clinton.

The second Reagan doll looks exactly like the "Ron Headroom" animation in the 80's Cafe in Back To The Future II.

ETA: Why is Wilson wearing so much lipstick? Did they use the same lips as on the J Edgar Hoover doll?

--------------------
IIRC, it wasn't the shoe bomber's loud prayers that sparked the takedown by the other passengers; it was that he was trying to light his shoe on fire. Very, very different. Canuckistan

Posts: 3694 | From: Arizona | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ian - Crawling on a Mirror
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian - Crawling on a Mirror   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Maybe Accoutrements will get around to making one.

Einstein VS Niels Bohr VS Edgar Allan Poe! This SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY!

--------------------
"I told you I didn't do it!" - Mr. Green

THATCHRUEF Network! Updated 9/29!

Posts: 113 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ulkomaalainen
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ulkomaalainen     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Deansinger:
Wow.. somehow I didn't expect Moses and Jesus (with certificates of authenticity) to sound so... American.

Especially since they seemed to rerecord Einstein and giving him an accent. Or is this the real Albert?

--------------------
Movie characters never make typing mistakes.

Posts: 586 | From: Hamburg, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
lazerus the duck
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lazerus the duck   E-mail lazerus the duck   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Disappointed the Bush doll doesn't have the 'fool me once speech'. G.W. at his most coherent.
P.s. How come Jesus is as pale as Michael Jackson?
P.p.s. What is Al Capone doing impersonating Winston churchill.

--------------------
All the world's a face, And all the men and women merely acne.

Posts: 673 | From: Glasgow, Scotland | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
HelloLlama
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HelloLlama     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Deansinger:
All the presidents have something to say, except Andrew ackson. What, did he never say anything worth repeating? Man, I'll bet he's looking at this from the afterlife, just getting PO'd.

Maybe "Let's force all those Indians off their land and march them to Oklahoma" wasn't catchy enough for the company!
Posts: 498 | From: Ypsilanti, Michigan | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Don Enrico

quote:
Originally posted by Ian - Crawling on a Mirror:
quote:

Maybe Accoutrements will get around to making one.

Maybe even a deluxe version - after all, they feature a
quote:
Deluxe Jesus Action Figure
There is no action figure more deserving of a deluxe edition than the Son of God. This 5-1/4" (13.3 cm) tall, hard vinyl figure comes with eight amazing plastic accessories: five loaves of bread, two fish and a jug for turning water into wine (not guaranteed to work for real). Also features “glow-in-the-dark miracle hands!”

Coming soon: Extended Deluxe Jesus Action Figure! Comes with 100 loaves of bread and 200 fish!

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages