snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Non-UL Chat » Business Bytes » Stolen laptop revenge

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Stolen laptop revenge
Draos
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 603 posted      Profile for Draos     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think this fit here best

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/STOLEN-THEFT-Apple-Powerbook-17-Inch-Sydney-24-Jan-06_W0QQitemZ8756626260QQcategoryZ4606QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

[ 29. January 2006, 10:41 AM:   snopes ]

Posts: 30 | From: Brigham City, Utah | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Deansinger
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Deansinger   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I love dumb criminals. they make me feel better in that the stupid stuff I've done in my life is nowhere near as dumb as this.

--------------------
It doesn't matter if you're wrong.. Be Wrong Loud!

Posts: 398 | From: Fallon, NV | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
YeeMum
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for YeeMum   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
WTF (that is all)

--------------------
Contact me for discounts
Charter member WNDMDC
"I am putting you on hold now.Listen to the elevator music and LIKE it."~My 'J'

Posts: 1816 | From: NE, Oregon | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ms Congeniality
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ms Congeniality   E-mail Ms Congeniality   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
ROFLMAO!

I hope they catch the stupid theives!

--------------------
Queen of Confusion

Posts: 311 | From: Miami, FL | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Captain Zombie
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Captain Zombie   Author's Homepage   E-mail Captain Zombie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Okay, while this is cool, and I hope they get their computer back - I'm unclear on one thing - what is it that they're auctioning? is it the computer?

--------------------
1st Infantry, SpecialOps Brigade - The Iron Faction.
I survived Initiation 2005... with Naked Mole Rat Sumotori and Bill O'Reilly

Posts: 264 | From: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
YeeMum

Icon 1 posted      Profile for YeeMum   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Did you scroll all the way to the bottom? What is with the advertizing?

Yee-smelling a rat-Mum

--------------------
Contact me for discounts
Charter member WNDMDC

Posts: 1816 | From: NE, Oregon | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Em
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Em   E-mail Em   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A search of the channel 9 news website, which supposedly interviewed the owner yesterday, shows nothing to do with a stolen laptop. Ditto with 2UE, although I couldn't find much about their content anyway, so that might not mean much.

--------------------
What the NFBSK does YOMANK mean?

Posts: 1646 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Penny
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Penny     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Captain Zombie:
Okay, while this is cool, and I hope they get their computer back - I'm unclear on one thing - what is it that they're auctioning? is it the computer?

The title states "PLEASE LOOK! DO NOT BUY THIS STOLEN LAPTOP!"

Hence, I don't think there is an auction; they're just using eBay as a means of gaining attention and/or free web hosting.

(Pointless hijack) I used to work in that suburb!(/Hijack)

Posts: 340 | From: Redmond, WA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
lynnejanet
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lynnejanet     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Count me as skeptical, too. The ads at the bottom of the page make me wonder if this is just a clever (but not very original) ploy to boost sales.

I'm surprised that the listing hasn't been taken down by eBay. My understanding was that auctions had to be legitimate - and this is clearly not. They even ask people NOT to bid on the auction.

--------------------
lynne"insert appropriate punny phrase here"janet

Posts: 1460 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
YeeMum

The seller is
Visit this seller's eBay Store!
OZ Auctions R US

the add at the bottom is for the same company with other items listed

85395 hits and bragging!

Yee-shaking head-Mum

edited to fix link

--------------------
Contact me for discounts
Charter member WNDMDC

WildaBeast
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WildaBeast   E-mail WildaBeast   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
PLEASE BE AWARE THAT MUCH OF THE DATA ON THIS UNIT IS NOT BACKED UP ( WE KNOW THAT WAS SILLY) SO WE REALLY WE NEED IT BACK IN CASE YOU WERE WONDERING THAT IS WHY WE ARE GOING TO SO MUCH TROUBLE
Do you think it was a good idea for them to mention that? The thieves seem to be aware of this auction. I'm a little worried they might delete the data as a form of revenge. Or maybe I'm just a little paranoid.

--------------------
"Unseasonable is an odd word to begin with. It sounds like it's describing something that it's impossible to sprinkle pepper on." -- Nonny

Posts: 5483 | From: Just south of Folsom Prison, CA | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
steelfox
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for steelfox   E-mail steelfox   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Its been removed [Smile]
Posts: 18 | From: Australia | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lawgiver
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lawgiver   E-mail Lawgiver   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Did anyone else click on this wondering what a revenage was ?

--------------------
I looked at my sleeping husband and longed to plunge my elbow through his peaceful face. ~ Annissa

Posts: 381 | From: Nashville | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
YeeMum

The e-bay store is still up and running tho... see link above

--------------------
Contact me for discounts
Charter member WNDMDC

me, no really
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for me, no really   Author's Homepage   E-mail me, no really   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The auction sounds like it has changed - they are actually selling something physical now

--------------------
Check out my handmade pens
Check back often because the page changes often

Posts: 831 | From: Brisbane, Australia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
YeeMum

The store always was I think it was a promo stunt

--------------------
Contact me for discounts
Charter member WNDMDC

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages