snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » Rantidote » I can die now I have seen it all! (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: I can die now I have seen it all!
kch8021
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 606 posted      Profile for kch8021   E-mail kch8021   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I can die now, I have seen it all!

Last night we stopped in our local Shopko, I use a wheelchair for places like that because of back problems, so I am not speedy.

Near the DVD's were me, my partner and 1 man. I thought he had cut a big one! It was an eye-watering stench. As I turned the corner there it was, a pile of s**t. I swear to GOD this man s**t on the floor, in the middle of the main aisle. I started gagging, and my partner took off trying to find somebody that worked there. I was trying to move faster, but it wasn't working. We found a young kid stocking shelves, and told him, then we watched him walk towards it,he thought we were kidding.

This was totally weird, and I felt really bad for the kid.

What I would like to know is has anyone else had and an experience that would cause them to say "I have seen it all"

Posts: 87 | From: Burlington, Iowa | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Woofer
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 304 posted      Profile for Woofer   Author's Homepage   E-mail Woofer   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A few that stand out for me:

1) When I worked at UAB's academic library, someone left a large, fragrant turd in a ziploc bag in one of the study carrels. The bag was unsealed for maximum effect. Maintenance staff used an entire can of disinfectant on that carrel alone.

2) Later, when I worked in the A/V department of UAB's medical library, a medical student scanned a banana and his face. This was when scanners were relatively rare and novel, so apparently he just couldn’t resist trying it.

3) My boss in the A/V department was not qualified for the job and refused to listen to anyone who did know anything. As a result, she constantly crashed the study computers* set up for the medical students. Her shining moment came when we had to transport one to an auditorium for a demonstration. I had disassembled and packed the computer properly for the journey over, so no problem there. However, after the demo, she simply slid the computer onto the cart without disconnecting any cables.

While crossing the common at a rapid clip, she hit a bump and the keyboard hopped off the cart. Followed by the monitor. (All this I discovered later.) She wheeled the monitor in (screen away from me) and asked me to plug it in and see if it works, zooming out to lunch. I didn’t bother because when I turned the cart around, I saw the gaping hole in the monitor screen. I kept a tiny shard of the broken casing as a memento for the rest of my time there.

*Computers with medical software for classes – NOT the computers for general patron use.

--------------------
Like men riding dragons throwing wolves at maggots.

Posts: 204 | From: Florida | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Silverbolt
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Silverbolt     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Working in a supermarket in one of the "lower class" sections of town, I've seen my fair share of "Oh my god" stories:

---------------

I'm working the express lane when I had a seemingly normal customer go through the line. It appeared to be relatively uneventful. When I was done, he had paused for a second, let out a sigh, and walked away. Slightly odd, but didn't seem all that out of the ordinary.

The next customer tiptoed up to me and said "I don't know quite how to say this, but that man just....went....in your line." I replied with "Yeah..I know. Did he steal something?". Her reply: "No. Look down. He WENT in your line."

Sure enough, there was a puddle of diarrhea on the floor. I shut off my light and walked away. My supervisor comes over screaming at me for shutting my light off without permission. I replied with "Go look for yourself. And no, I'm not cleaning it up." He sent one of the other cashiers over to look, who said "You're not going to believe this....."

The janitor who had to clean it up was swearing in 3 different languages....

----------------------------

Late night.....Lady walks in obviously completely drunk. Known prostitute. We start hearing complaints about her propositioning the customers quite explicitly, so we call the cops. While the cops are on their way, she makes her way to my register with her purchase. Of course, she propositions me. When I politely turn her down, she takes her shirt off, flashing the entire front end, while screaming "YOU KNOW YOU WANT TO **** ME RIGHT HERE ON THIS REGISTER. I SEE YOU STARING AT MY ****." She goes on like this for about a minute as she puts her shirt back on. By now the cops are walking in. In a moment of pure brilliance, she walks up to one of them, and starts openly propositioning the cops, saying something to the effects of "using the handcuffs will cost extra" or somesuch.

Well, the cops did use the handcuffs, and she did end up in the back seat.........

----------------------

One customer would come in with his 14 year old daughter, who had an incredible crush on me. I was 19 years old at the time, so even if I were interested, she redefined the term "jailbait".

Despite making it very obvious that I had no interest in her, her father would constantly give me that "dirty look" as if I were screwing his daughter on the conveyor belt or something. For about 5 years, I got nothing but snide remarks and dirty looks whenever he was in the store. Why he continued to come through my line when he went shopping is beyond me. You'd think that if he hated me THAT much, he'd go to a different cashier. But he never did.

We had a couple of mutual friends -- friends of hers that worked at my store, mostly -- so we did keep in some kind of touch. She moved out when she was 19 years old, and ended up working in a strip club. Her father had apparently shown up and made some kind of scene causing him to get banned from the place.

Her father didn't want any of his friends showing up, because he didn't want them to gawk over his naked daughter on stage (who had developed one hell of a body). So, of all people, he comes in to my store, pulls me aside for a minute, explains all this to me, and asks ME of all people to go to the club and convince her to quit. Why he would ask the guy who (a) barely knows her outside of some mutual friends, and (b) he's convinced had a thing for his daughter I'll never know. All things considered, I should have been the LAST person on his list of people to ask. Wouldn't I have just shown up and tried to pick her up myself, making his 5-year-long nightmare come true?

Needless to say, I turned him down, saying that, to say the least, it wouldn't be appropriate.

Sadly, she quit before I got a chance to go down there on a night she was working.....

Posts: 50 | From: Swansea, MA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Silverbolt

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Silverbolt     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
One more.......

I was a substitute teacher before I got my current job.

I was assigned to a 6th grade classroom. Upon arrival, I met with the principal, who told me that I would most likely be throwing one of my students out very quickly. She was a 6th grader who had stayed back twice. She was a troublemaker who got thrown out of class often when her regular teacher was around, so she'd probably give me even more grief.

To say this girl was overdeveolped for a sixth grader would be an understatement. To say she was overdeveloped for an eighth grader would be an understatement. Honestly, I thought she was a teacher's aide when I first saw her.

She was gone within 20 minutes. Never mind refusal to pay attention -- she said no in the most vulgar ways possible.

I went down to the principal's office at recess to explain what happened. She wasn't surprised. She said, though, that the class had a field trip coming up, and if Amanda wanted to go on that trip, she'd have to behave for the rest of the day. So I was told that little Amanda would be coming back on her best behavior after recess.

She never arrived. I looked around for her to see if she was lingering in the halls. No dice. I asked the class if anyone saw her. They said that she ended up back in the principal's office. They didn't know why. So much for that field trip.

Lunch time comes, and I'm back down to see the principal again. I asked what happened that caused her to end up back here so quickly.

She couldn't go into details, but all she could tell me was that she was caught in the boys' bathroom "doing things that sixth grade girls should not be doing to fifth grade boys".

The principal calls her mother to come pick her up and to have a conference. Her mother arrives, upset not that her daughter was caught in a sex act with a boy, but because she was pulled from work! When the principal explained what she was caught doing, the mother replied "So? What do you think they're gonna end up doing when they get home?" The principal's jaw hit the floor. So did mine, when the principal told me.

Hearing what the mother's reaction was tops my "Oh my GOD!" list -- ranking far higher than even the girl's actions.

Posts: 50 | From: Swansea, MA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rob D / Blackwolf, the yule dodo
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rob D / Blackwolf, the yule dodo   Author's Homepage   E-mail Rob D / Blackwolf, the yule dodo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think my worst thing was cleaning up after 200 drunk students of the Technical Unversity of Berlin had parties. Fortunately, or unfortunately, depending on your view, they could rent a assembly hall, or rather it WAS a gym turned into a party room.

Entering the mens restrooms was often an ordeal. More than once I simply had to scream my frustration before I could start.
The urinals had meshes over them, to prevent stuff clogging them, but cleaning out puke from those meshes was not the nicest job, nor was finding turds in them the best thing either. If a toilet was clogged, they continued to use it, just adding layers of toilet paper over the last deposit then adding the next and so on. Of course a few times they missed the toilets completely or hit the seats themselves.

The womens restrooms had never been that bad, they have mostly just been covered in toiletpaper.
The room itself had usually at the end a pile of rubbish 6 feet wide, 2 feet high. Our record was 60 large (3 feet tall) trashbags.

--------------------
~Reality, the refuge of those who fail in RPGs~
aka Darkfist Dragon
-==(UDIC)==-

Posts: 334 | From: Lancaster, Ohio | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Aarspace

Icon 16 posted      Profile for Aarspace     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This just happened to me about 3 weeks ago. I was riding the subway home at about 11pm at night. The whole time there was a lady a few seats down from me, on my side of the car, who appeared to be sleeping. She looked homeless or crazy to begin with (snap judgements, anyone? Sure, I'd love one). She made loud chomping and lip smacking noises the entire trip, but i did my best to ignore her. I was the closest one to her in the subway car.

As the train was coming to my stop, I stood up and started to walk to the closest door, which was right in front on me. I caught some movement in my right periphary (sp?)

I turned to see this lady, with her black sweat pants down around her ankles, squatting next to me. See peed and then did number 2 as well. I kept on walking to the farthest door to get some distance, but the car was still moving and the puddle was gaining on me :S

I made it to the other end of the car and there were only about 4 other people in the car, and no one said anything. I got off at the next stop.

--------------------
Bob Dole + The Green Lantern = BEST. SUPERHERO. EVER.

Posts: 33 | From: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
violetbon

Icon 1 posted      Profile for violetbon   E-mail violetbon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Having worked in the Sears ladies' underwear dept for 8 years, I have seen quite a few interesting things. Sex in the fitting rooms. Piles of poop on the floor. A mother who took her daughter out for ice cream after she was caught shoplifting. A girl who had a miscarriage in our fitting room, whose mom didn't know she was pregnant.
ETA - Once we had a guy take off all of his clothes right there in the aisle because we wouldn't let him in the fitting rooms to try on some ladies underwear.

But, as for the OP's comment about how she can die now because she's seen it all... I plan on remaining immortal, as I absolutely refuse to die until I've seen the Chicago Cubs win the World Series.

ETA - I forgot to mention the time that I was on vacation in Toronto, and I saw a man get picked up by store security after stuffing his pants with cheese and sausages at the deli section of a large supermarket. As they were marching off to the office, cheese kept falling out of his pants.

Posts: 193 | From: Seymour, Indiana | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dog Friendly
Carol of the Bills

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dog Friendly   Author's Homepage   E-mail Dog Friendly   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I sat at a dining room table once and listened as two twin sisters, 51 years old, argued with one another about which of their boyfriends had knocked out which of their teeth.

They were pointing to the gaps in their mouths as they argued.

Dog Friendly

--------------------
"Nobody ever got stoned and beat up his old lady" -- Spence, snapdragonfly's friend

Posts: 768 | From: North Hollywood, CA | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spamamander in a pear tree
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spamamander in a pear tree     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hrmmm .. I've had a few less-than-pleasant encounters, like when I worked at Pizza Hut and they were having a Nickelodeon promotion. They had vanilla pudding with the kid's meals dubbed "green slime pudding" because of the dye. We can guess the lovely after-effect of too much pizza and green vanilla pudding... luckily it wasn't my table.

My more interesting ones occurred when I worked at a lingerie/ adult novelty store. It was a very nice place, in a strip mall next to a hair salon, mostly carrying lingerie and some male underwear but having a small section of adult videos and magazines as well as a stock of vibrators, gag gifts, condoms, oils, etc. I was pregnant with my first spamlet which of course led to good natured ribbing (oh, do these condoms work?). I had the occasional phone call wanting me to descibe the length and color of the dildos (eyeroll) but in general the clientčle was women or clueless men trying to buy a gift for their SO (she's about your size- just without the belly...?).

One day a man came in with extremely transparent white running shorts that barely covered his behind, and quite obviously no underwear. He went to look at the men's boxers and thongs, feeling some of them, then to some of the ladies' things. As he approached the register at the front of the store (it was a small room and I could sit on a stool behind the counter and see the whole place) it was evident that he was, well, excited. The head of his penis hung out the bottom of his shorts and by the way he was walking he knew it and expected it to be seen. Oy vey. I decided that it would be best not to feed into his little fantasy by taking notice and just waited for him to leave the store, and watched to see if he got into a car. He'd either parked some distance away or walked because I didn't see him get into one. Talking to the other two women that worked there, he'd been in before just not so... exposed.

--------------------
"There is a race between mankind and the universe. Mankind is trying to build bigger, better, faster, and more foolproof machines. The universe is trying to build bigger, better, and faster fools. So far the universe is winning." -Albert Einstein

Posts: 1058 | From: Yakima, WA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Turbo Snail

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Turbo Snail     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I worked in a home improvement store and we had a plumbing section with toilet displays, non-working toilets mind you. Every few months some kid would hop on and drop a loaf while Mom and Dad weren't watching. Sometimes they would take responsibility but most of the time they just slip out.

--------------------
Has anyone seen my other shoe?

Posts: 40 | From: Richmond, Indiana | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
kch8021
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kch8021   E-mail kch8021   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I worked in a home improvement store and we had a plumbing section with toilet displays, non-working toilets mind you. Every few months some kid would hop on and drop a loaf while Mom and Dad weren't watching. Sometimes they would take responsibility but most of the time they just slip out.
----------------------------

I am ashamed to admit this, but I watched the 1st Jackass movie, in which they went into a plumbing store, sat down and dumped a load.

I didn't see humor in it but my 14 year old son did. I know that's their target audience.

Posts: 87 | From: Burlington, Iowa | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rob D / Blackwolf, the yule dodo   Author's Homepage   E-mail Rob D / Blackwolf, the yule dodo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
And now we all know: Turbo Snail and kch8021 are one and the same person.

--------------------
aka Darkfist Dragon
-==(UDIC)==-

Posts: 334 | From: Lancaster, Ohio | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
delta_T

Icon 1 posted      Profile for delta_T   E-mail delta_T   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought the same thing when I first read this. Then I realized that kch8021 was quoting Turbo Snail, but not using the quote feature.
Posts: 25 | From: Guelph, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Christie
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Christie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by delta_T:
I thought the same thing when I first read this. Then I realized that kch8021 was quoting Turbo Snail, but not using the quote feature.

Same here.

This should be a good lesson in why it's important to use the quote feature - I wonder if anyone reported the posts thinking the same thing we did?

--------------------
If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, it's just possible you haven't grasped the situation. - Jean Kerr

Posts: 18428 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rebochan the Retail Reindeer
Good King Wal-Mart

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rebochan the Retail Reindeer   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My mom works the fitting rooms at the local Wal-Mart, and yea, loooot of people think fitting room = bathroom.

--------------------
"One original thought is worth a thousand mindless quotings." -- Diogenes

"Vote Republican! We won't burn you at the stake for your religious beliefs or slaughter your family and steal your land." -- Ramblin' Dave

Posts: 3555 | From: Florida | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
delta_T

Icon 1 posted      Profile for delta_T   E-mail delta_T   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm just glad it wasn't just me...I compared the names, post count, location and registration date before I noticed there was more at the bottom of the 2nd post. I wouldn't have said anything if Rob D hadn't had the same reaction I originally had, but I just started posting recently (after the obligatory years of lurking) so I don't really feel qualified to report posts yet.
Posts: 25 | From: Guelph, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Deck the Malls

Of course my comment was tongue in cheek. I thought it was a failed quoting and the response was a signature line. [fish]

--------------------
aka Darkfist Dragon
-==(UDIC)==-

OmegaXL
Let's Go Cleveland Cavaliers!

Icon 302 posted      Profile for OmegaXL   E-mail OmegaXL   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I work in a supermarket so I've seen it all. I've seen people defecate & urinate all over the floors. I've seen little kids vomiting all over the store. When I was working in FL, we would occasionally have spring breakers come in wearing very shear, very revealing clothing.

I have a million stories, but my favorite was when 2 grown men got into a fight in the bakery...the one guy went up to a fake plastic wedding cake, ran his finger across it, licked it & said "yum"....his young son just laughed. Apparently, another customer watching was not amused and chided the man. Well, those two exchange pleasantries & the next thing you know, punches are thrown....right in front of the first man's young son! I was thinking "What a great example" [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Biding time until I move to Alaska

Posts: 2 | From: Hendersonville, TN | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Victoria J
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Victoria J   E-mail Victoria J   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I'm just glad it wasn't just me...I compared the names, post count, location and registration date before I noticed there was more at the bottom of the 2nd post. I wouldn't have said anything if Rob D hadn't had the same reaction I originally had, but I just started posting recently (after the obligatory years of lurking) so I don't really feel qualified to report posts yet.

I made the same mistake on first reading.

I don't think I would have reported something like that though, I would just assume other people were more on top of it than I was (which is probably bad - if everyone though that where would be be [Wink] ). I also know that there are some snopesters who share computers, partners who are both on the board etc., so I have seen apologies from people who have posted from the wrong account before - without them being sock puppets.

[complete hijack]
Are boards really full of sock puppets ? Is this just a wierd internet belief ?
I was quite shocked when an account here was actually de-registered.
[/complete hijack]

Victoria J

--------------------
Post accompanied by maniacal laughter.

Posts: 577 | From: London, UK | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Victoria J
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Victoria J   E-mail Victoria J   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
While I am here I may as well address the OP at least a little [Razz]

I once advised a woman who spent the entire 20 minutes I was with her spitting into a bowl (apparently if she didn't she would be sick)...

And when I first started as a volunteer we had a client who wet herself in the waiting room. We were all very sympathetic, thinking how embarrassing it must be etc. But she came back a second time and did it again ! If you know it is a problem why wouldn't you wear a pad, or at least not sit in one of the upholstered chairs.

We put the chair out the back of the building, and ended up never bringing it back in again. You would sometimes see clients sneaking a smoke back there sitting in the chair - and we always wondered if we should say something.

Victoria J

--------------------

Posts: 577 | From: London, UK | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
kch8021
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kch8021   E-mail kch8021   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry guys :-( I just copied and pasted.

The dotted line was to seperate the posts. I will try to better next time.

franjava
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for franjava     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I worked a salad bar at a grocery store. Once, a woman grabbed a watermelon chunk from a bowl, ate it, spit the seeds into her hand, then dropped them right back in the bowl. The ass. produce manager (I abbreviated ass. correctly for this guy, mind you) grabbed the bowl right out from under her nose. Too funny!

Another day a woman came in wearing a muscle shirt. Not a tank top. A man's muscle shirt with the really low-cut arm holes... nothing underneath. She showed her ta-tas to the world when she leaned over the salad bar!

At Subway, someone clogged up the sink's overflow holes with paper towels and let the water run. It was halfway down the hall before we noticed. Guess who had to clean that one up! Thank DOYC it was just water, but it took forever!!!!

--------------------
Never eat anything given to you by a toddler.

Posts: 258 | From: Rochester, NY | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Victoria J
Jingle Bell Hock

quote:
Originally posted by kch8021:
Sorry guys :-( I just copied and pasted.

The dotted line was to seperate the posts. I will try to better next time.

It's mostly us being idiots I think.

There are plenty of ways to show a quote without actually making it a proper quote (though that seems easiest to me) but the dotted line looked just like the line that seperates a signature. And we are all too used to ignoring signatures...

Victoria J

--------------------

kathryn
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kathryn     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
When I was younger I went to a bagel store with my mom. Ahead of us in line was a mom and her small child (maybe 3??). Well, the store was set up where the bagels were in those wire baskets behind a counter but the counter was accessible from the front of the store.

So we watched the little girl go around and pick up a bagel, take one bite and PUT IT BACK. All the mom said was "Honey, don't do that". Then the little girl did it TWICE MORE with different bagels. Finally they got up to the register and not only did the mom not offer to pay for the three bagels her daughter had chewed on... she didn't even apologize. I was so grossed out.

Secondly, when I was in college I was pulling an all-nighter with a project team. I got sent out for coffee and donuts so I went to Dunkin Donuts. I ordered a box of Munchkins, and as the girl was bringing it over to the counter the bottom of the box fell apart flinging the munchkins all over the counter and floor. I watched in amazement as she started to PICK THEM UP and PUT THEM BACK in the box. I asked for "new and clean" donuts and she looked at me like I was nuts... she didn't even understand why I was squicked out.

Kathryn

--------------------
Keeper of the American Idol Pool 2006

Pamper yourself!

Posts: 1085 | From: Transplanted Yankee in North Carolina | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
KatrinaDuck
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KatrinaDuck   E-mail KatrinaDuck   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I was in the computer lab at school one night, finishing a paper (so it was probably 2 a.m. or so), and there were very few people in there. A guy came in and sat in the far corner - only a row away from me. I assumed he was surfing the web, but he hadn't turned the sound off, and I kept hearing a loud moaning and feminine "ooo!" sound coming from over there. The lab had white iMacs, and when I shifted slightly to get as far away as possible, I could see the reflection of his hand down his pants and moving around. I went and told the guys working there: "I don't mean to be rude, but the guy in the corner is watching porn. Uhh.. actively watching porn!" They called the cops. I left my name and number, but I didn't stick around.

When I worked at the grocery store, I was sometimes put into the self-check area. Besides the usual stupids ("I'm all checked out and you haven't even started bagging my order yet!" "Ma'am... this is a self-serve checkout counter." "Yes, but I shouldn't have to bag it myself, too!"), we had a few evil people who liked to blame things on the poor sap working there - often me - despite the fact that we had nothing to do with what happened.
One woman let her children choose to do the order in Spanish, and then kept scolding me because I didn't know the spanish names for 16 types of apples, so she had trouble looking them up.
Another - this was a fun night - kep throwing the items onto the belt, which kept returning them to her (if the sensor can't weigh the item, it sends it back so you can do it over). Apparently she got frustrated and just put them right into the bags without ringing them up first. When I pointed out to her that she hadn't paid for her eggs, she had a small hissy fit, thrust the bags at her son, and pulled out the receipt to "prove me wrong." As I showed her that the eggs weren't on the receipt, her son dropped them from 5 feet up. "Well," she says to me. "You go back and get me a new dozen. These are broken, and if you think I'm paying for them, you have another thing coming!"
But... your son broke them! On purpose! And I have to go back and get you more?!

We also had a woman who had a slight temper tantrum when she found out that, since egg nog was carried year round, it didn't go on sale after Christmas. The manager spoke with her and straightened it out - so we thought. About 20 minutes later, she was caught opening the carton, drinking half of it straight from the spout, and replacing it on the shelf.

--------------------
It is, after all, the dab of grit that seeps into an oyster's shell that makes the pearl, not pearl-making seminars with other oysters. -Stephen King

Posts: 481 | From: North Brunswick, NJ | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
delta_T

I have always been amazed at the way some people (parents especially) seem to think that a grocery store is a buffet...my understanding is that until you pay for an item, it belongs to the store and you are stealing if you feed it to your kids before then, even if you plan on paying.

I've been trying to recall certain memories from when I was a frequent subway rider in Toronto (when I was in my teens and early 20s). Suffice it to say, they all involved men "pleasuring" themselves, and I can't bring back any details. Lucky me.

franjava
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for franjava     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I have always been amazed at the way some people (parents especially) seem to think that a grocery store is a buffet...my understanding is that until you pay for an item, it belongs to the store and you are stealing if you feed it to your kids before then, even if you plan on paying.

You just reminded me... Also at the grocery store where I worked, a woman ate a cherry and choked on the pit. [lol] Teach her to steal! Don't worry, she lived.

--------------------
Never eat anything given to you by a toddler.

Posts: 258 | From: Rochester, NY | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BeachLife
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 211 posted      Profile for BeachLife   Author's Homepage   E-mail BeachLife   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I have always been amazed at the way some people (parents especially) seem to think that a grocery store is a buffet...my understanding is that until you pay for an item, it belongs to the store and you are stealing if you feed it to your kids before then, even if you plan on paying....

While I do not condone this behavier entirely, I don't see it as a big issue so long as they pay for the item. I don't think it's considered stealing unless you walk out of the store without paying, regardless as to whether it's in your hand or in your stomach.

--------------------
Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone.
Jack Dragon, On Being a Dragon
Confessions of a Dragon's scribe
Diary of my Heart Surgery

Posts: 12094 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
kathryn
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kathryn     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BeachLife:
quote:
I have always been amazed at the way some people (parents especially) seem to think that a grocery store is a buffet...my understanding is that until you pay for an item, it belongs to the store and you are stealing if you feed it to your kids before then, even if you plan on paying....

While I do not condone this behavier entirely, I don't see it as a big issue so long as they pay for the item. I don't think it's considered stealing unless you walk out of the store without paying, regardless as to whether it's in your hand or in your stomach.
Except that most of the time they end up NOT paying for them, since almost all kinds of produce (bananas, grapes, cherries, etc) are charged based on weight. If you eat a half bag of grapes, when it goes through the checkout line you're only going to be charged for what's LEFT in the bag. The ones in your stomach aren't getting weighed [lol]

OTOH, if someone opens a bag of chips or box of crackers, I have no issue. Those items have a price on the box that gets charged whether it's full or empty.

I remember another incident. WHen I was in high school working at a drugstore, I was cleaning the aisles up one night. As I came down the stationary aisle, a young boy was deliberately messing up the notebooks (moving them from one section to another just randomly). I came down the aisle and started to fix them. I didn't say anything, just doing my job. THe mother must've decided I had an attitude or something [Roll Eyes] because she gave me a glare and then picked up a couple of stacks and moved them and then took her kid and left.

Kathryn

--------------------
Keeper of the American Idol Pool 2006

Pamper yourself!

Posts: 1085 | From: Transplanted Yankee in North Carolina | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
SiriusSnape
Deck the Malls

Icon 15 posted      Profile for SiriusSnape   E-mail SiriusSnape   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Probably the worst thing I saw at work was on the very first night we opened. Never been topped since in the ten years we've been open. Someone had gone to the bathroom in the men's room in the last stall, and apparently missed and it hit the floor (how on earth does one miss when taking a crap?!). Not only that, but whomever it was had taken the trouble to write the word "LOVE" in big letters on the wall with part of it. The guy who had to clean it up was not a happy camper.

--------------------
All fiction is cultural history.
All history is cultural fiction.

Posts: 292 | From: Greenville, North Carolina | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
tribrats
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tribrats   Author's Homepage   E-mail tribrats   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by kathryn:
quote:
Originally posted by BeachLife:
quote:

Except that most of the time they end up NOT paying for them, since almost all kinds of produce (bananas, grapes, cherries, etc) are charged based on weight. If you eat a half bag of grapes, when it goes through the checkout line you're only going to be charged for what's LEFT in the bag. The ones in your stomach aren't getting weighed [lol]

OTOH, if someone opens a bag of chips or box of crackers, I have no issue. Those items have a price on the box that gets charged whether it's full or empty.

I remember another incident. WHen I was in high school working at a drugstore, I was cleaning the aisles up one night. As I came down the stationary aisle, a young boy was deliberately messing up the notebooks (moving them from one section to another just randomly). I came down the aisle and started to fix them. I didn't say anything, just doing my job. THe mother must've decided I had an attitude or something [Roll Eyes] because she gave me a glare and then picked up a couple of stacks and moved them and then took her kid and left.

Kathryn

I had some nosy old biddy yell at me for feeding my tired, hungry toddlers when we were in the store (a large chain that starts with a W). Seeings how one of the white-shirts was walking by and I knew him, I asked him about it right in front of her. His response was that it was alright as long as it wasn't weigh at checkout (weighed food that was already totaled and marked was ok). We talked about it for a bit and he was telling me that when they fill out the reports to police for food that was eaten and not payed for, it was called "theft by consumption". He said that it isn't considered theft for eating food that you were purchasing. It became theft if you removed the container from your cart and didn't intend to pay.

I was told the same thing at another store I frequent.

--------------------
Snopes is moving! Here's snopes' announcement.
Come here to re-register!

Posts: 2448 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mr. Furious
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Mr. Furious   Author's Homepage   E-mail Mr. Furious   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Though I don't make a habit of it, I've occasionally popped open snackish type foods in Wal-Mart and Target if it was necessary to placate the kids, and I've never been called out for it. It's never weight-based stuff, except deli cheese, which has already been weighed and priced when I receive it.

--------------------
"He's not gonna let me in, I'm Mr. Dirty Mouth!"
- Jeffrey Coho (Craig Bierko), Boston Legal

Posts: 8729 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Griffin at the Maul
Joyeux New Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Griffin at the Maul     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
at the grocer that H and I frequent (HEB Central Market), if you ask the clerks in the produce section, they will be happy to cut open and allow you to sample any of the produce. Also, you weigh and mark the produce in the department (at convenient scales scattered throughout the department), so if you were to eat something after weighing, you would still end up paying for it.

--------------------
Where are we going, and why are we in this handbasket?

Posts: 782 | From: Arlington, TX | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
robbiev - singin' off key
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for robbiev - singin' off key   Author's Homepage   E-mail robbiev - singin' off key   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I used to work in an all-night drug store. One night two women came in and went to the back to the pharmacy. At some point, they got into a fight, so someone called the police.

Long story short, after it was over, the pharmacist came up front and we were talking about it.

Both women had prescriptions for lice, scabies, crabs, and something else that I can't remember. During the fight, there was some blood spillage.

The police officer that came to the scene was someone I knew. He told me that they were both hookers and both HIV positive.

A few years before that, I worked part time at a convenience store. One night a guy that had been out jogging came in to buy a drink, and as he walked up the counter, he reached into his shorts (not the pocket, actually into the shorts) and pulled out a $5.00 bill and set it on the counter. It was literally soaking wet; it stuck to the counter. I told him, "If you think I'm touching that, you're out of your mind."

--------------------
Every time I see a good looking woman, I think, "0oooh. There's another one I'll never have!"

Corvette. The louder you scream, the faster I'll go.

Posts: 1820 | From: Memphis, TN | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jordashe

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jordashe   E-mail Jordashe   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
An episode of This American Life had a segment of David Sedaris talking about the phenomenon of people defecating in stores.
Posts: 121 | From: Charlottesville, VA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages