snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » Rantidote » But It's Exactly What You Asked For!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: But It's Exactly What You Asked For!
Llewtrah
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Llewtrah   Author's Homepage   E-mail Llewtrah   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Aaagh! Bro-in-law specified the exact DVD he wanted for Christmas, right down to the cover art so I didn't get the wrong one. I buy it online. It isn't his normal fare - German subtitled film, but that's what he specified so who am I to argue. On opening it, he's pleased. On playing it, he discovers it wasn't the film he thought it was and he has now invalidated the returns policy ("returned unopened within however-many days").

Aaagh! He specified the darn thing practically down to the web page for buying it. I think I now know the film he was after and it doesn't seem to be available on DVD anyway.

ETA: Bro-in-law has now been introduced to imdb.com (or at least sister has been introduced to it - she's the brains of the operation!)

--------------------
Messybeast Cat Resource Archive
Llewtrah's Soapbox

Posts: 2040 | From: Chelmsford, Essex, England | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
bthyb
WiFi Christmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bthyb   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Sounds like his problem, not yours - I think you did your Christmas best.

--------------------
If you say you love ice cream, you better be dreaming of an orgy with Ben, Jerry, and one fine-ass chunky monkey.

-- My sister and poet extraordinaire, Joanna Hoffman

Posts: 1475 | From: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dancing Dragon
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dancing Dragon   E-mail Dancing Dragon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I hear you. When I was working fast food, I got people like that at least twice a day. They would order, you would repeat their order back, they would confirm it...and then when they GOT their order, they would say, "I didn't order that!" Grrr.
Posts: 213 | From: Point of Rocks, MD | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Llewtrah

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Llewtrah   Author's Homepage   E-mail Llewtrah   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Dancing Dragon - when working overseas (e.g. Malaysia) I frequently ordered food only for it to be totally different from what I'd expected based on the description (or even on the photos, which were evidently an artist's impression rather than an actuality). I quickly adopted the philosophy of "I'm hungry, it's food."

Still, I don't like to disappoint people at Christmas. His first choice of present wasn't available either.

--------------------
Llewtrah's Soapbox

Posts: 2040 | From: Chelmsford, Essex, England | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
going slightly mad
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for going slightly mad   E-mail going slightly mad   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Just out of curiosity, which movie was he after and which one did you get him?

--------------------
Don't warn the tadpoles!

Posts: 109 | From: Vienna | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Llewtrah

quote:
Originally posted by going slightly mad:
Just out of curiosity, which movie was he after and which one did you get him?

He asked for Tattoo which he identified as http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/4-/161892/Tattoo/Product.html (thinking himself organised he sent very explicit details)

I think he might have been thinking of Tattoo which was on TV, but isn't on DVD.

I've sent him (or rather my sister, who is the technologically-minded one) the imdb link to that latter film. I'm hoping that he'll check out imdb in future!

--------------------
Llewtrah's Soapbox

going slightly mad
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for going slightly mad   E-mail going slightly mad   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks, curiosity satisfied [Smile]

--------------------
Don't warn the tadpoles!

Posts: 109 | From: Vienna | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Llewtrah

Techno-savvy sister investigated, using details of what he recalled of the plot. It turns out that he wanted "Memento". Unfortunately, the DVD I bought can't be exchanged (see original post).

--------------------
Llewtrah's Soapbox

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages