snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » Rantidote » Grrr! Contest Bad! Make Mack Angry!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Grrr! Contest Bad! Make Mack Angry!
Macheath
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 03 posted      Profile for Macheath     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The Discovery Channel advertised a contest on air, inviting viewers to send in videos akin to some of the viral videos spoofing Discovery Channel shows. "Winners" of the contest would have their videos shown on a special airing some time in December and would receive $500 for their efforts.

I sent in a video on the last day entries were being accepted (according to the commercial, anyway) on October 31st. I bear a passing resemblance to someone on the Discovery Channel. In fact, I've been mistaken for this person a few times. I followed all the instructions for the contest and waited to find out if I won. And waited. And I'm STILL waiting.

I can find nothing regarding the air date for the spoof show. I don't see anything on the Discovery website about the videos (they were supposed to put up some of the submissions even if they didn't make it into the special). I DO notice that the submissions web site is still up and, apparently, operational. There is nothing there about the deadline, and it looks as though viewers can still submit videos.

I've submitted a question to their public relations group and am still waiting to hear back. I just want to know if they still plan on putting together a spoof show in the first place, even if my video is never featured.

I'm just irritated that I went through the trouble of writing, shooting, and editing a spoof video, complete with special effects, and never heard a darn thing back from them. Grrr. I see on the Discovery message boards that it seems I'm not alone. Lots of folks submitted videos, and no one has heard anything.

Ok, done now.

Mack da "drama queen" Knife

--------------------
http://www.artcpodcast.org - There is adventure in sound!

Posts: 1895 | From: Atlanta, GA | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brad from Georgia
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brad from Georgia   Author's Homepage   E-mail Brad from Georgia   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Obviously the quality of the submitted videos was so high the judges all went out and got drunk.

--------------------
"No hard feelin's and HOPpy New Year!"--Walt Kelly
Hear what you're missing: ARTC podcasts! http://artcpodcast.org/

Posts: 7581 | From: Gainesville, Georgia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snoozn
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snoozn   E-mail snoozn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Here is the current "about" page for the contest, which says "no deadline". Good luck, let us know if they ever contact you to show yours!

snoozn

Posts: 423 | From: Colorado | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Para
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Para     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Any chance you could submit your video to a site like YouTube? That way at least people could see your video.

--------------------
"But what of the golden spider-duck and the squat crimson pig?"

Posts: 425 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LittleDuck
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LittleDuck   E-mail LittleDuck   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
If it helps, I have not seen the commercial for a couple of months (though I do remember it...I love Mike Rowe).

--------------------
"Silly customer, you cannot hurt a Twinkie." -Apu (The Simpsons)

Posts: 2026 | From: 10 miles South of Boston | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages