snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » Rantidote » What did James get for Christmas? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: What did James get for Christmas?
edu-macated
Deck the Malls

Icon 216 posted      Profile for edu-macated   E-mail edu-macated   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
 -

--------------------
There is no sense in being pessimistic. It wouldn't work anyway.

Posts: 379 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
edu-macated
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for edu-macated   E-mail edu-macated   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Trampoline vs Tibia.

I have just discovered a whole new mine of parental guilt called trampolinus parentus.

Regardless of how many years he bounced, that one slip has dammned me forever. In fact, it was another child that was trying to make him fall off, and succeeded but still I am damned.

I always thought my parental shortcomings would have been displayed in a less obvious way. Perhaps a bestselling tell all from my daughter, or even a rumour that became a box office smash.

Nope, I get the trampoline stigma to live with now. Bugger.

On the plus side, James is still very happy, now that he can't walk for a week, he has us at his fingertips. That is fun, for him.....

[Wink]

--------------------

Posts: 379 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
edu-macated
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for edu-macated   E-mail edu-macated   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Does it matter to him when we did get a kitten that is so cute I want to eat it.

-

--------------------

Minstrel gone caroling
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Minstrel gone caroling   Author's Homepage   E-mail Minstrel gone caroling   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Aww, poor little guy! But cast and all, that last picture is so cute I think it has increased my blood sugar to dangerous levels!

--------------------
Last year's goat was burned down by vandals dressed up as Santa Claus and the Gingerbread Man. They were never caught.
My blog. The Adventures of the Fish O'Thwacking.
Countdown: 177 days (or less!)

Posts: 4926 | From: NW Ohio | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
edu-macated
Deck the Malls

He he he Minstrel. I know, I am trying to cover myself and hoping eventually, he'll be picked up and glurged.

I am simply whinging now, cause I know it will once again be a long night where he wakes a couple of times. Almost like having a new baby again. Except this one is able to complain in words.

Also, can I ask that no one masturbates anymore, cause I really don't want God to kill our new kitten.

Thanks, [Wink]

--------------------

Itsy Bitsy Spider
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Itsy Bitsy Spider   E-mail Itsy Bitsy Spider   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My three year old just named your kitten. [Smile] I hope you like the name Katie-Kitten.

ETA: She saw his leg and said "His leg broken?" She also said "You need take him to doctor." [Big Grin]

Posts: 13 | From: South Carolina | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Aw, that's a cute kitty!

Itsy-Bitsy, I once had a Katie-Kitty!

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sara at home

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sara at home   E-mail Sara at home   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
If I had the picture on my computer, I would show you my parental guilt. My son burned and blistered all ten fingertips when he was learning to walk and put his hands on the hot window of the oven door. I honestly didn't know the glass got so hot on the outside; I simply never touched it and it never occurred to me. Burns on all 10 finger tips and he was still crawling a lot. We brought him home from the emergency room with both hands bandaged in a way that made them look like chicken drumsticks just to prevent him from breaking the blisters and getting an infection. I felt so bad I never told my family what happened but I did take a picture of the bandaging. Funny thing is he has the same big smile in those pictures that Jimmy has.

Hey, they get over it. So do we.

--------------------
Assume that all my posts will be edited at least once. Dyslexic -- can't spell, can't type, can't proofread.

Posts: 8317 | From: Reading, PA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Monza305
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monza305   E-mail Monza305   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
<> to your son.

We have a trampoline, & that is my biggest nightmare. Thankfully, nothing has happened yet, & we've had it for 3 years.

Nothing to have parental guilt. Knock on wood.

--------------------
I've got a pen in my pocket does that make me a writer?
Standing on the mountain doesn't make me no higher.
Putting on gloves don't make you a fighter.
And all the study in the world doesn't make it science. -Paul Weller

Posts: 199 | From: Kalamazoo, MI | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
pirateslife
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pirateslife   Author's Homepage   E-mail pirateslife   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My sister flipped off of the trampoline and landed on the railroad ties that line our gardern. She broke her collar bone.
My family had already instituted the one-at-a-time rule (I know, you can't do popcorn that way), after one of our neighbors (a REALLY fat girl) jumped too hard and broke through our trampoline.

ETA: and my sister has grown up to be a healthy, well-adjusted 29 y.o. who owns two cats. Although she does have a phobia of trampolines without nets.

--------------------
If the world were logical, men would ride sidesaddle. -Mama

I won't ask "Am I weird?" because that ship sailed long ago. -Kahuna Burger

Posts: 394 | From: Memphis, TN | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ryda Wong, EBfCo.
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ryda Wong, EBfCo.   E-mail Ryda Wong, EBfCo.   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
How freakin' bizzare. I had a dream last night in which someone purchased a trampoline.

I've never had a trampoline, nor have I ever dreamed about one before.

Yeah. I just had to add that. Carry on.

--------------------
So many spankings! It feels so good! But at the same time, I don't care about meeting your family! - I'mNotDedalus:

Posts: 3216 | From: Denver, CO | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
FrogFeathers
Grandma Got Run Over By a Gift Card

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FrogFeathers   Author's Homepage   E-mail FrogFeathers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Awwww, cute kitty! James has a great smile!

You needn't feel so guilty! I sent you a PM. [Smile]

--------------------
"Is it ME? Am I a MAGNET for these idiots?"~Pearl Forrester MST3K
Die-Hard Engineers, Big Red One my Dad's website
"Must be a 'snopes' thing..." ~my entire family when I try to explain something.

Posts: 4524 | From: South of Madison, Wisconsin | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ana Ng
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ana Ng   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A kid did that on purpose?

He's a little cutie, though. Poor little guy.

If it makes you feel any better, on Halloween 2003, my daughter was toddling about while I read a book. I was two feet away. She pulled a bench over and severed the top of her little toe. There was blood everywhere, and we had to call an ambulance. I felt so guilty. [Frown]

It happens to all of us, I think.

--------------------
My great grandfather planted that tree!

Posts: 4862 | From: Brooklyn | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Signora Del Drago
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Signora Del Drago     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ryda Wong, EBfCo.:
How freakin' bizzare. I had a dream last night in which someone purchased a trampoline.

I've never had a trampoline, nor have I ever dreamed about one before.

Yeah. I just had to add that. Carry on.

Hi, Ryda!

As far as I'm concerned, trampolines are from hell. My son had one but gave it away. Later, he got another one. He gave that one away, too, because there's no longer any room for it with the larger pool. Thank DOYC!

But, please don't feel guilty, edu-macated. Stuff happens, and I'm sure you enforced all of the safety rules. Sometimes, things are simply out of your control, and my son is just lucky that nothing like that happened to one of his sons.

Yeah. I just had to add that, too. Carry on.

And be sure to hop on over to the new snopes home.

ETA: Did this make anyone else think of Chimera?

--------------------
"This air we're breathing. Oxygen, isn't it?"~I’mNotDedalus, impersonating Vincent D’Onofrio.|"Sometimes trying to communicate can be like walking through a minefield."~wanderwoman
"Give people a break. It's not easy doing a life."~Joshua Halberstam

Posts: 4020 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lgreywolf
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lgreywolf   E-mail Lgreywolf   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Signora Del Drago, G.R.I.T.S.:
ETA: Did this make anyone else think of Chimera? [/QB]

*raises hand*

Me!

--------------------
"Most Jewish holidays can be summed up very simply: They tried to kill us. We won. Let's eat." - my in-laws' Rabbi.

Posts: 430 | From: North of Boston, MA | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sara at home

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sara at home   E-mail Sara at home   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ana Ng:

If it makes you feel any better, on Halloween 2003, my daughter was toddling about while I read a book. I was two feet away. She pulled a bench over and severed the top of her little toe. There was blood everywhere, and we had to call an ambulance. I felt so guilty. [Frown]

It happens to all of us, I think.

Now that you mention it, when I was learning to walk I grabbed a high chair which tipped over and broke my nose. My mom felt really guilty though I never blamed her. Not thrilled with the bump on my nose or my deviated septum, but I don't blame my parents. Stuff happens. **shrug**

--------------------
Assume that all my posts will be edited at least once. Dyslexic -- can't spell, can't type, can't proofread.

Posts: 8317 | From: Reading, PA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
bthyb
WiFi Christmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bthyb   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Trampolines are dangerous. I know someone, a professional diver, who did a flip on a trampoline, landed wrong, and broke his neck. He's paralysed.

You're not a bad parent, and stuff does happen. But IMO it's best to get rid of the dangerous stuff, and that includes trampolines. Why risk it?

--------------------
If you say you love ice cream, you better be dreaming of an orgy with Ben, Jerry, and one fine-ass chunky monkey.

-- My sister and poet extraordinaire, Joanna Hoffman

Posts: 1475 | From: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
How about roller skates, then? Bicycles?

We can't bubblewrap our kids.

--------------------
"When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty."--George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 19266 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spam & Cookies-mmm

Icon 216 posted      Profile for Spam & Cookies-mmm   E-mail Spam & Cookies-mmm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr:

Actually, that sounds like fun. Bubblewrap + duct tape + a bumpy hill = wheee!

--------------------
Did you see the Announcement?
There's a new snopes message board!

Posts: 7767 | From: Paradise Ceded | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
bthyb
WiFi Christmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bthyb   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Wearing a helmet when riding a bike or while roller skating (or blading) can greatly reduce risk of injury.

Besides, The American Society of Pediatrics recommends against home trampolines.

There's a difference between bubble wrapping a child and sending him out naked.

--------------------
If you say you love ice cream, you better be dreaming of an orgy with Ben, Jerry, and one fine-ass chunky monkey.

Posts: 1475 | From: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by bthyb:
quote:

Wearing a helmet when riding a bike or while roller skating (or blading) can greatly reduce risk of injury.

It can reduce the risk of *some* injury, but it would have no effect on whether a tibia is broken or not.

Also, while I seem to be unable to research it at the moment, I recall there has actually been an increase in emergency room visits per capita since bike helmet laws became widespread.

--------------------
"When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty."--George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 19266 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
bthyb
WiFi Christmas

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by bthyb:
quote:

It can reduce the risk of *some* injury, but it would have no effect on whether a tibia is broken or not.

Also, while I seem to be unable to research it at the moment, I recall there has actually been an increase in emergency room visits per capita since bike helmet laws became widespread.

Trampolines are dangerous, though, regardless of whether bikes are.

Kids break limbs - I don't think any parent should feel guilty about that outside of extreme situations.

Spinal cord injuries are often permanent, however, and I'd rather reduce my kids' likelihood of having one where possible.

I did not have a trampoline growing up. I do not feel deprived.

I did ride a bike, go swimming and dive into the pool, fall off of jungle gyms, and do many crazy kid things.

--------------------

AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr

And my point is that at what point to we shield our children from danger?

This isn't about whether you feel as if you were deprived or not; it is about whether we are going to raise a generation of people who are afraid of their own shadows. I'm not saying we should give kids presents of boxes of broken glass, but let's not shield them from every possible danger.

--------------------

bthyb
WiFi Christmas

quote:
And my point is that at what point to we shield our children from danger?

This isn't about whether you feel as if you were deprived or not; it is about whether we are going to raise a generation of people who are afraid of their own shadows. I'm not saying we should give kids presents of boxes of broken glass, but let's not shield them from every possible danger.

How does keeping kids away from danger make them afraid of their own shadows? I don't see the connection. I'm not talking about keeping kids away from everything that might injure them, I'm talking about trampolines, which are dangerous.

Plenty of kids were taught not to touch a hot stove. Few grow up to be scared of cooking on a range.

--------------------

AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr

Trampolines are no more dangerous than bikes.

--------------------

Lainie

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

In the case of home trampolines, the American Academy of Pediatrics disagrees with you. From bthyb's link:

quote:
Adult supervision will not adequately prevent injuries on home trampolines. Trampolines should be used only in supervised training programs for gymnastics, diving or other competitive sports. A professional trained in trampoline safety always should supervise the use of trampolines.
I don't believe they make the same recommendations for bicycles.

--------------------

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr

quote:
Originally posted by Lainie:
quote:

In the case of home trampolines, the American Academy of Pediatrics disagrees with you. From bthyb's link:

quote:
Adult supervision will not adequately prevent injuries on home trampolines. Trampolines should be used only in supervised training programs for gymnastics, diving or other competitive sports. A professional trained in trampoline safety always should supervise the use of trampolines.
I don't believe they make the same recommendations for bicycles.

Ah...but is the AAP the authority on what is dangerous? Even on their own site, they acknowledge that 4 times as many emergency room visits due to bicycle accidents than [apparently] all trampoline accidents. And how many bike accidents cause injuries of insufficient severity to warrant an ER vist?

I am not saying that using tramps is risk-free. But, they can be used with as much safety as many other things we wouldn't dream of lecturing others to do away with.

--------------------

Mistletoey Chloe

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mistletoey Chloe     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
But lots more children have bikes than trampolines. There could be four times as many bike injuries, and trampolines could still be many times more dangerous, depending on how many of them there actually are (all the neighborhood kids had bikes growing up--I don't know anyone who had a trampoline).

--------------------
~~Ai am in mai prrrrrraime!~~

Posts: 10111 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr

I understand that, but the statistics are comparing injuries that caused ER visits (bicycles) and total injuries (tramps). Again, considering the number of bike accident-caused injuries that don't result in ER visits, it could be that bicycles are, in fact, more dangerous than tramps. I am not saying they are; I'm just saying that the AAP isn't comparing apples to apples. Just doing my due devil's advocacy.

--------------------

Lainie

On futher thought, the AAP may not be comparing trampolines to bicycles at all. They may be evaluating each device based on its relative benefits and risks. Bikes help kids learn balance and coordination, they can be used to maintain fitness, and they're an inexpensive, nonpolluting method of transportation.

--------------------

Mistletoey Chloe

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mistletoey Chloe     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
If your point was that these statistics are pretty useless, I'm with you. I'm still puzzled, though, as to the source of statistics about trampoline injuries that don't show up in the ER. How does the AAP know if someone twists their ankle or bumps their head unless they need treatment? And are these figures what the AAP (I keep wanting to put an R in!) base their opinion on, or is there more out there about deaths or serious injuries per user, I wonder?

--------------------
~~Ai am in mai prrrrrraime!~~

Posts: 10111 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Aud
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aud   E-mail Aud   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Is this perhaps because they make it to the emergency room rather than going straight to the morgue?

When you get a chance I'd really like to see your research.

This study suggests that in one town in Florida that passed bike helmet laws "there has been a significant decline in the rates of bicycle related motor vehicle injuries among children in the post-law years compared with the pre-law years."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?db=pubmed&cmd=Retrieve&dopt=AbstractPlus&list_uids=12810748&query_hl=1&itool=pubmed_DocSum

Similar results in a large Canadian study
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?db=pubmed&cmd=Retrieve&dopt=AbstractPlus&list_uids=12415066&query_hl=1&itool=pubmed_DocSum

Posts: 1168 | From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie

quote:
Originally posted by Mistletoey Chloe:
I'm still puzzled, though, as to the source of statistics about trampoline injuries that don't show up in the ER. How does the AAP know if someone twists their ankle or bumps their head unless they need treatment?

Perhaps they see their pediatrican for non-emergency treatment?

--------------------

Elkhound
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elkhound         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Also, while I seem to be unable to research it at the moment, I recall there has actually been an increase in emergency room visits per capita since bike helmet laws became widespread. [/QB]

Is this what you were thinking of? It is a British study, but I think that the statistics are similar for the US.

[hijack]Part of the problem is that helmets lull cyclists into a false sense of security. Also, that people are not taught 'vehicular cycling' as much as they used to be. We think of the bicycle as a toy or piece of sporting equipment rather than a means of transportation--we will load our bikes on the back of our SUVs and drive somewhere to ride around for a while, then load them back on the SUV and drive home. Most of us don't think of using the bike to go somewhere.

Go here for more thoughts on the subject. [/hijack]

--------------------
"The bicycle is the most civilized conveyance known to man. Other forms of transport grow daily more nightmarish. Only the bicycle remains pure in heart."--Iris Murdoch

Posts: 3307 | From: Charleston, WV | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr

quote:
Originally posted by Aud:
quote:

Is this perhaps because they make it to the emergency room rather than going straight to the morgue?

I'm not sure what you mean; are you saying that a significant number of people are being killed by trampoline accidents?

quote:
When you get a chance I'd really like to see your research.

Stupid network here sucks too bad to do serious research, but as soon as I get home, I'll look it up.

quote:
This study suggests that in one town in Florida that passed bike helmet laws "there has been a significant decline in the rates of bicycle related motor vehicle injuries among children in the post-law years compared with the pre-law years."

[removed long link]

Similar results in a large Canadian study
[removed other long link]

Those are just looking at bike vs. motor vehicle accidents, which is a subset of all bicycle injuries.

--------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages