snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » Rantidote » Post-Christmas disasters

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Post-Christmas disasters
Radical Dory
God Rest Ye Merry Retail Clerks

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Radical Dory   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm posting this one on behalf of my poor cousins and grandmother, who have both had one of the worst post-Christmases ever and has forced me to re-commit myself to my personal pledge not to go near any shopping mall following Thanksgiving and until well after New Year's.

My cousin and his wife drove up from Charleston to visit with us. Cousin drives a 1995 pickup truck (what type slips my mind at the moment). His wife wants to pick up a gift card at Macy's for her aunt before they leave town, as there are no Macy's in Charleston, but there are where her family lives. He drops her off at the south end of Hanes Mall so she can run in and get one, and then decides to make a circle through the parking lot until she gets back so he won't block traffic.

He pulls out into the main traffic circle, intending to turn up an aisle a few rows down and go back to Macy's to pick up his wife. At least until a guy in a Lexus decides he has right of way and pulls out of an aisle, right into the rear of my cousin's truck. He hit the back so hard that the truck bed's cover, which was securely bolted down, gets knocked off and flies fifteen feet away.

To add insult to injury, the police officer comes, ignores all witnesses, and gives my cousin a ticket, in spite of the fact that everyone who witnessed this was in agreement it was the other driver's fault, and he was traveling at an unsafe speed when he struck my cousin. Luckily, my cousin had his digital camera in the car...he took lots of pictures of his truck, the Lexus, the debris field, etc. His insurance company is also most helpful.

Oh, and that's not all. He calls my grandmother while waiting for a tow truck to come get his truck and explains he got into a minor accident and the two of them need a ride back to the house. She flies into panic-mode, leaps into her car without a word of explanation to her son or daughter-in-law (my cousin's parents!), and tears down to the mall to see if they're okay. So upset is she that when she arrives at the mall, she gets confused, loses control of her car, and rams it into a retaining wall. *sigh*

Luckily, no one was hurt in any of the incidents. Cousin was planning on driving up to Virginia behind his folks anyway to visit the other side of the family, so he and his wife just get to ride in the van up there. I assume they'll work something out with a car to get home. Oh, and he is most definitely contesting that ticket. Grandma will get her car back soon, as the damage was fairly minor. Though I'm hoping this is not a sign that we won't have to take it away soon.

--------------------
"But about the reindeer...what kind of a nose shines? How did he get it? Maybe it's not a reindeer after all. It could be something else."

Posts: 2216 | From: Winston-Salem, NC | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
patriot1
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for patriot1   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Wow, I am very sorry to hear this! This time of year seems to bring out the worst in drivers. I was riding with my Mother a couple of weeks ago (I recently spent eight days in the hospital and was not allowed to drive when I got out, now have limited driving privileges), and in a less than five mile trip, four drivers pulled out from various driveway's right in front of her, so she had to slam on the brakes to avoid an accident, and swerve into the left turn lane to avoid yet another. I did drive the other day to the local Wal-Mart, and had a woman pull right out of an aisle in front of me, I just missed hitting her car on the driver's side, honked the horn, she gave me the dirty, nasty look as if it was my fault!

I would contest the ticket, too, bring witnesses, that always helps. I got into an accident about twelve years ago, a teenager ran a red light and hit me, he contested his ticket, but when he saw me, the police officer, and two other witnesses ready to testify against him, he just pled guilty! Witnesses are a huge help! Good luck to him, and in both cases I am glad no one was seriously hurt.

--------------------
"Pray....one for another." JAMES 5:16 NKJV

Posts: 26 | From: Wayne, Michigan | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
callee
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for callee         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Radical Dory:
Oh, and that's not all. He calls my grandmother while waiting for a tow truck to come get his truck and explains he got into a minor accident and the two of them need a ride back to the house. She flies into panic-mode, leaps into her car without a word of explanation to her son or daughter-in-law (my cousin's parents!), and tears down to the mall to see if they're okay. So upset is she that when she arrives at the mall, she gets confused, loses control of her car, and rams it into a retaining wall. *sigh*

you know, I really am sorry that all this happened, and I'm sure you would be sorry if it happened to someone else as well, so in the spirit of preventing that, I do want to ask, if you read the above description forgetting for a minute it was your grandma, would your first impression be that they should continue to be entrusted with the keys to a vehicle that could injure or kill themselves or others?

I mean, I should think that a safe driver should be able to avoid retaining walls no matter what state of mind they are in, but especially when the worst that has happened is that someone has been in a minor fender-bender.

--------------------
a moment for old friends now estranged, victims of the flux of alliances and changing perceptions. There was something there once, and that something is worth honoring as well. - John Carroll

Posts: 3375 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tantei Kijo
The First USA Noel

Icon 501 posted      Profile for Tantei Kijo   Author's Homepage   E-mail Tantei Kijo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well who would you trust? A guy in an old pickup and lots of disinterested parties? Or a rich guy in a nice car? allow me: [fish]

--------------------
Bender: Though you may have to make a metaphorical "deal with the devil". And by "devil", I mean the robot devil, and by "metaphorically" I mean get your coat. ------------ My sad site: A new way to be bored.

Posts: 722 | From: Colorado | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LittleDuck
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LittleDuck   E-mail LittleDuck   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I almost got hit by a bitch in a Lexus a couple of days before Christmas (her fault but boy the look she gave me...I saluted her afterward...she deserved it). Seeing that the damage is to the rear of the truck, witnesses or not, I would think the officer could have used more common sense [Confused] . I do hope your cousin got names of witnesses so he can ask them to court on his own.

--------------------
"Silly customer, you cannot hurt a Twinkie." -Apu (The Simpsons)

Posts: 2026 | From: 10 miles South of Boston | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Eddylizard
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eddylizard     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I had a similar but opposite situation re the ticket thing. A few years ago driving to work someone pulled out in front of me forcing me to brake sharply. That driver of course drove away.
The vehicle following me was not so lucky, and couldn't stop in time, rear-ending me.

These things happen, so we got out and started exchanging details. Just then a passing police car stopped and the office got out.

He took one look at me, a smartly dressed middle aged man in a new car, and one look at the other driver, a scruffily dressed teenager in an old VW. Ignoring the other driver, he approached me - "Are you all right sir, were you injured, do you need to call anyone?" etc, ending with a flick of his pen towards the lad "Do you wish to prosecute him?"

Well no I didn't, since I couldn't conceive he'd broken any laws.

The officer then got back in his car and drove off, without any atempt to see if the other driver was alright, or to get his version of events.

--------------------
"Ladies and gentlemen, this is what is commonly known as money. It comes in all sizes, colours, and denominations - like people."

Posts: 997 | From: Maidstone, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
RangerDog
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RangerDog   E-mail RangerDog   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
wrong thread waffles

--------------------
Give a man a fish, and you'll feed him for a day; give him a religion, and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish

Posts: 2036 | From: Virginia | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Radical Dory
God Rest Ye Merry Retail Clerks

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Radical Dory   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Callee, that is definitely a legitimate concern for us. One thing I should mention is my grandmother flies off the handle at ANY event she percieves as disasterous, no matter how minor. If the dog breathes funny once, she's at the vet. If she hears my dad has high-blood pressure, she's convinced he's going to have a massive heart attack like my grandpa did at any moment. I wish my uncle could have gotten to her first, as I know he could have calmed her down and accident #2 wouldn't have occured.

On the other side of the family, my mom and her siblings took my grandmother's car away from her five years ago when she began to get confused as to where she was. I know my parents are capable of doing it. As I'm a grandchild, I can certainly voice my opinion to my parents and aunt and uncle, but ultimately, it's not up to me.

Patriot1, he's doing exactly that. He's got the pictures, and I think he got the names and contact info for the witnesses, so that makes things easier. I'd like to add you're brave to go near a Wal-Mart this time of year!

Tantei...don't think that hasn't passed through our minds. [Smile] Come to think of it, Eddylizard pretty much described the officer's attitude (as described by my cousin) dead on. A shame, as I know quite a few people who work for the W-S police, and most of them aren't jerks like that guy.

--------------------
"But about the reindeer...what kind of a nose shines? How did he get it? Maybe it's not a reindeer after all. It could be something else."

Posts: 2216 | From: Winston-Salem, NC | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages