snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » Rantidote » Having a bad day (pity party)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Having a bad day (pity party)
I'm 20th Century Fox
Happy Holly Days

Icon 216 posted      Profile for I'm 20th Century Fox   Author's Homepage   E-mail I'm 20th Century Fox   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I am tired....tired of daily headaches, tired of migraines, tired of this new medicine which makes me groggy during the day, makes my fingers and toes tingle, and kills my taste for Coke and Pepsi. I do welcome the weight loss, but hate the dumbness that has come with it. I just want to feel normal Ė no headaches, no numbness, tingling, grogginess, just normal. I would love to have a couple of days, or even a week, free from headaches. I know I could have some other medical condition that is much, much worse than daily headaches, but Iím really, really tired of 40 years of the same thing every day. I just want to cry. But that makes them worse.

Sorry, Iím not really ranting, this is more of a dumping. But some days I canít take it, and this is one of them.

Edited to correct - 30 years, not 40 years. The headaches started in my teens. See what I mean about dopiness?

--------------------
When my chin is on the ground I pick myself up, dust myself off and start all over again.

Posts: 1765 | From: Greensboro, NC | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
dawnda
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dawnda   E-mail dawnda   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
{hugs} I know how you feel. Been in for CTs, MRIs & various tests, meds for headaches, nothing really helps or shows anything wrong. Add to that the back problems which only make the headaches worse & IBS, a bad attack of which gives me brain fog, which it sounds like you're getting too. Brain fog that is.

If this med keeps presenting these other symptoms, you really need to talk to the prescribing doctor about it cuz it's not helping if it just makes you feel worse.

{more hugs}

dawn 'I want a body transplant' da

--------------------
Behind every good man there is a good woman and behind that another
man looking at her rear end.

Posts: 35 | From: Maryland | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Fun with a 9mm
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fun with a 9mm   E-mail Fun with a 9mm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Agree with Dawnda...There may be other meds that will work for you.

--------------------
I'm not mean, you're just a big sissy. -Happy Bunny

The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.- Verbal Kint

Trespassers will be pelted with jellyfish.- Daniel Cluley

Posts: 221 | From: Bradenton, FL | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nicki
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nicki     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I sympathize with you. Migraines run in my family. My mother has them, I have them, and now my son.

I'm sure since you've had the headaches for so long that you've looked up and read everything about them. So you probably know the basics on the triggers and what-not.

Caffine is definitely one of them. So not having a taste for coke might be a good thing. You can also get the headaches from caffine withdrawals. That happens to me.

Here is something I learned a couple of months ago. Now I've always had migraines, which come and go. But I would also seem to get what i called "my functioning migraines". I was able to go about my daily life but with a dull and knawing headache. I couldn't get rid of it. They would last for months and months and months, go away for a short time and then be back again. Doctors just kept doubling my pills.

Well, I read an article about migraines (due to my interest). It showed a trigger I hadn't seen before and it was a vitamin deficiency. I figured what the heck - that couldn't hurt. I started taking an OTC multi-vitamin. And in about a week or so my annoying headache STOPPED!! I couldn't believe it. It may not be a magic pill but I was thrilled.

Posts: 332 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
I'm 20th Century Fox
Happy Holly Days

Icon 37 posted      Profile for I'm 20th Century Fox   Author's Homepage   E-mail I'm 20th Century Fox   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Brain fog - that's a good phrase, and right where I am today. Thanks!

I'm not a huge complainer, but sometimes it helps to vent a little, and hear from other sufferers.

I've been to chiropractors, allergists, massage therapists, neurologists; been on various anti-depressants , some of which have worked for awhile. I've had trigger-point injections, which only worked for a few hours. I've been to my current headache doctor about 3 times in the past month, and she's started me on Topamax and imitrex (the imitrex injections seem to work the best). It's the Topamax that's making me so dopey, but I guess I really need to give it a little more time. And I probably took it a bit too late last night, which is my fault.

ETA: Nicki, just saw your post, and that's exactly what I have today, a gnawing, annoying headache. I may have to check out your OTC multi-vitamin suggestion!

--------------------
When my chin is on the ground I pick myself up, dust myself off and start all over again.

Posts: 1765 | From: Greensboro, NC | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Fun with a 9mm
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fun with a 9mm   E-mail Fun with a 9mm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Quitting smoking got rid of mine.

--------------------
I'm not mean, you're just a big sissy. -Happy Bunny

The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.- Verbal Kint

Trespassers will be pelted with jellyfish.- Daniel Cluley

Posts: 221 | From: Bradenton, FL | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
dawnda
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dawnda   E-mail dawnda   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by I'm 20th Century Fox:
Brain fog - that's a good phrase, and right where I am today. Thanks!

Can't claim credit for it, I usually say my brain feels fuzzy. But it's dead on.

--------------------
Behind every good man there is a good woman and behind that another
man looking at her rear end.

Posts: 35 | From: Maryland | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nicki
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nicki     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Here's a good link that shows triggers:

http://migrainesolutions.com/what_triggers_migraines/what_triggers_migraines.html

I'm sure your doctors have asked you to try and identify some of your triggers in order to help.

Posts: 332 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sara at home
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sara at home   E-mail Sara at home   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
There's a reason it's nickname is Dopamax. Cognitive dulling is extremely common and may not resolve itself unless the drug is discontinued.

--------------------
Assume that all my posts will be edited at least once. Dyslexic -- can't spell, can't type, can't proofread.

Posts: 8317 | From: Reading, PA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
I'm 20th Century Fox
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for I'm 20th Century Fox   Author's Homepage   E-mail I'm 20th Century Fox   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Nicki, you have been very helpful today. That's a good link. Believe it or not, I was only officially diagnosed with migraines within the past year or so. Prior to that, it was "just" chronic tension-type headaches. Even I didn't believe I had migraines, since I had no aura and my headaches aren't just on one side of my head. But I have all the symptoms, especially sensitivity to light, sounds, smells, dizziness, difficulty concentrating, and diarrhea (!).

And if I smoked, I would try to quit. Good for you, 9mm, for quitting. That must've been hard to do.

--------------------

BluesScale
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BluesScale   E-mail BluesScale   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It is also worth considering cluster headaches - http://www.clusterheadaches.co.uk/

These sometimes respond very well to pure oxygen. It has to be worth a try and can't do any harm.

BluesScale

Posts: 207 | From: Woolhampton, Berks, UK | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
I'm 20th Century Fox
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for I'm 20th Century Fox   Author's Homepage   E-mail I'm 20th Century Fox   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My headaches tend to last for hours, BluesScale, not the 15 to 90 minutes that are characteristic of cluster headaches. But thanks for the link and the tip.

--------------------

BluesScale
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BluesScale   E-mail BluesScale   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
That does sound really unpleasant for you :-( Hope that you find a solution soon

Blues.

Posts: 207 | From: Woolhampton, Berks, UK | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
kmcm
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kmcm   Author's Homepage   E-mail kmcm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Topamax made me an abosolute idiot. I could not remember my own child's name after a week on it. There are other drugs out there.

I took it for migraines as well. There is hope. I found another one that did work for me and nor in only get a headache every 6 weeks or so. That i can live with.

~k

--------------------
Of course this land is dangerous! All of the animals are capably murderous. Especially the penguins.

i'm a figment of my own imagination, sometimes i don't exist

Posts: 1099 | From: Kitsap County, WA | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
I'm 20th Century Fox
Happy Holly Days

A bit of an update.....I lowered my dosage last night (from 75 mg back to 50 mg). It was still pretty late when I took it, around midnight, but I slept well and woke up without the fog. Still have the tingling in the fingers and toes but I had that before on the lower dosage. I feel so much better without the fog. I'll mention just staying on the lower dosage to my doctor when I got back next month. A friend of mine who took Topamax, and just got off it after 2 years, said she only took the 50 mg dose. If it ends up lessening the number of migraines and the severity, I'll live with the other side effects. Just not the dopiness!

--------------------

Lainie
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by I'm 20th Century Fox:
A bit of an update.....I lowered my dosage last night (from 75 mg back to 50 mg). It was still pretty late when I took it, around midnight, but I slept well and woke up without the fog. Still have the tingling in the fingers and toes but I had that before on the lower dosage. I feel so much better without the fog. I'll mention just staying on the lower dosage to my doctor when I got back next month.

So you lowered the dosage without consulting your doctor? I understand why you want the lower dosage, and why you don't want to wait until next month, but couldn't you call the doctor's office?

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
I'm 20th Century Fox
Happy Holly Days

She started me out earlier this month at 25 mg, for a week, then I was to up it to 50 for a week, then 75 for a week. It was the 75 that I was having a hard time adjusting to, so I knocked it back to 50. I plan to call them tomorrow and discuss it with the nurse, but I don't feel they'll have a problem with it since I had only been on the 75 for a few days.

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Codeô is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages