snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » Rantidote » Stop blocking my driveway! (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Stop blocking my driveway!
Fun with a 9mm
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fun with a 9mm   E-mail Fun with a 9mm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lainie:
quote:
Originally posted by Fun with a 9mm:
We live across the street from a rental. Last year the "couple" that lived there [q/b]

[Confused] Why the quotation marks? Did you think they were just pretending to be a couple?

Should have put "married couple" which IS what they claimed, but were not.
quote:
[qb]Cops are seriously reluctant to do anything ... must not like being pulled away from Dunkin' Donuts.

Because, of course, if they're not responding to your calls about your neighbors, the only possible explanation is that they're sitting around eating doughnuts. Since, apparently, the rest of their jurisdiction is a paradise and there are no other crimes or problems for them to address. [Roll Eyes]

I'm not the only person in my general neighborhood to complain about the lack of response/slow response time of the local police force. And as a matter of fact, there are usually 4 or 5 police cruisers parked at the Dunkin Donuts at any time in the evenings.

Edited to remove retaliatory snarkiness

--------------------
I'm not mean, you're just a big sissy. -Happy Bunny

The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.- Verbal Kint

Trespassers will be pelted with jellyfish.- Daniel Cluley

Posts: 221 | From: Bradenton, FL | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BeachLife
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BeachLife   Author's Homepage   E-mail BeachLife   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Have you complained to the city council because they are apparently paying people to sit on their ass all day?

--------------------
Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone.
Jack Dragon, On Being a Dragon
Confessions of a Dragon's scribe
Diary of my Heart Surgery

Posts: 12094 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Christie
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Christie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
And as a matter of fact, there are usually 4 or 5 police cruisers parked at the Dunkin Donuts at any time in the evenings.

We often see police cruisers, RCMP vehicles and paramedics trucks etc parked at local Tim Horton's. So? Seriously, where are they supposed to park when they are waiting for a call, picking up coffee for the road or taking a break? It really does sound like you are saying that your police are at Dunkin Donuts *instead* of doing their job.

--------------------
If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, it's just possible you haven't grasped the situation. - Jean Kerr

Posts: 18428 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I'm not the only person in my general neighborhood to complain about the lack of response/slow response time of the local police force.

I didn't say you were. I suggested an alternative reason for it.

quote:
And as a matter of fact, there are usually 4 or 5 police cruisers parked at the Dunkin Donuts at any time in the evenings.
Most full-time workers, including cops, get breaks, including meal breaks.

quote:
Edited to remove retaliatory snarkiness
Your comment about the cops not wanting to leave Dunkin' Donuts was pretty darn snarky.

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Fun with a 9mm
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fun with a 9mm   E-mail Fun with a 9mm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Look, I DO understand that they get breaks, get to eat dinner, etc.

But here's a "fer instance": Fourth of July, the neighbor behind us was shooting off fireworks (illegal in our county) and 99% of them were landing on my roof. I asked him nicely to stop or try to shoot them off in another direction. He told me to go back into my house like a good little girl and mind my own business. I got out my hose and watered down my roof (my house is old!). After 2 hours, I broke down and called the police non-emergency line, told the operator what was happening. I was told that the police "were busy" and not to expect a quick response. I hosed down my roof again, packed up my dog and went for a drive so that if my house burned down, we wouldn't be in it. I passed the Dunkin Donuts 2 or 3 mins. later and there were at least 10 cruisers there. I kept circling through my neighborhood to check on my house and it took over an hour before the police showed up at the neighbor's house.

--------------------
I'm not mean, you're just a big sissy. -Happy Bunny

The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.- Verbal Kint

Trespassers will be pelted with jellyfish.- Daniel Cluley

Posts: 221 | From: Bradenton, FL | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
PsychoWoman
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PsychoWoman   E-mail PsychoWoman   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Look, I DO understand that they get breaks, get to eat dinner, etc.

But here's a "fer instance": Fourth of July, the neighbor behind us was shooting off fireworks (illegal in our county) and 99% of them were landing on my roof. I asked him nicely to stop or try to shoot them off in another direction. He told me to go back into my house like a good little girl and mind my own business. I got out my hose and watered down my roof (my house is old!). After 2 hours, I broke down and called the police non-emergency line, told the operator what was happening. I was told that the police "were busy" and not to expect a quick response. I hosed down my roof again, packed up my dog and went for a drive so that if my house burned down, we wouldn't be in it. I passed the Dunkin Donuts 2 or 3 mins. later and there were at least 10 cruisers there. I kept circling through my neighborhood to check on my house and it took over an hour before the police showed up at the neighbor's house.

Could they have possibly been investigating a crime that was occurring/had occurred at DD? At least 10 cruisers at a scene is usually more than a coffee or dinner break.
Posts: 201 | From: Tampa Bay area, Florida | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Fun with a 9MM, it's clear that you have had some frustrating experiences with neighbors and with the police. All I'm suggesting is that their failure to show up for what is clearly not an emergency does not necessarily mean that they are sitting on their asses eating doughnuts.

If, in fact, there is a genuine goldbricking problem with the cops in your jurisdiction, I second BeachLife's recommendation that you complain to the City Council.

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BeachLife
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BeachLife   Author's Homepage   E-mail BeachLife   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ten cruisers??? Our local Dunkin Donuts doesn't even have a parking lot big enough for ten cars at the same time.

Just out of curiosity, what kind of roof do you have?

--------------------
Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone.
Jack Dragon, On Being a Dragon
Confessions of a Dragon's scribe
Diary of my Heart Surgery

Posts: 12094 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jocko's Jolly
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jocko's Jolly   E-mail Jocko's Jolly   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Back on the OP, I would agree that trying to talk with the neighbors first is a good idea. What I would do, however, so that it wouldn't seem like I'm the only one who is having a problem, is talk with the other neighbors who have been similarly blocked in (you mentioned others having the same problem with these neighbors and/or their guests). Then I would go over, ring the doorbell, introduce myself as the designated rep for a group of neighbors (that way, it's not just me and, for me at least, it's easier to relay the message as coming from someone other than just me). Explain the problem and ask them to be more aware in the future of the driveways and not block them in. You could couch it that you are afraid that their car(s) will get hit by someone backing out.

If they are not there, leave a note in their door (not the mailbox, that's illegal) to the same effect.

If that doesn't work, then print up a bunch of notes to be put under the wipers, asking that they please not park there or the cops will have to be called. Distribute to the affected neighbors to be placed as needed. Then start calling the cops if it continues.

If all the neighbors are together on this, they cannot single out any one of you as being the bad guy. And you can always call the cops whenever they are parked illegally (even if they are blocking their own driveway, it's still illegal), it doesn't just have to be for your own driveway. Eventually, they will get caught.

What they may do is to start parking someplace else, blocking someone's driveway whom they previously hadn't blocked. All you have to do is give them the wiper notices as well, since the inconsiderate neighbors have no idea which neighbors you represented when you spoke with them.

And, as I said, if you have a Homeowners Association, you can dump a lot of this in their laps and have them contact the neighbors if the face-to-face talk doesn't work.

Good luck, it's always difficult dealing with the problems with neighbors. Hopefully, this will resolve itself just fine and the problems won't crop up again.

--------------------
Like every good third-in-a-series it contains a whole load of ewoks, ‘Clubber’ Lang, whey-faced Sophia Coppola, Sean Connery as the Pirate Captain’s estranged dad, a crappy CGI alien, and Richard Pryor on a donkey. -- Gideon Defoe

Posts: 2211 | From: Harford County, MD | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snapdragonfly
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snapdragonfly     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
That's a good point about involving the other neighbors in a unified and organized way, Jocko.

--------------------
"Wolves, dragons and vampires, man. Draw the nut-bars like big ol' nut-bar magnets." ~evilrabbit

(snurched because one of my nutbar family members is all about wolves and another one is all about dragons...)(with apologies to surfcitydogdad)

Posts: 2397 | From: Texarkana, TX | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TrekkerScout
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TrekkerScout     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Orshee:
ILS - I didn't know that. I'll have to look into Minneapolis laws.

The Minneapolis Code of Ordinances doesn't allow for private citizens to call for impoundment of vehicles on a public right of way. Impoundment must be "in response to an authorization from a police officer, meter monitor or agent authorized by the City of Minneapolis" (478.1041).

For your reference, here is the code that your neighbor is violating:
quote:
478.90. Prohibited in specified places. No person shall stop, stand or park a vehicle except when necessary to avoid conflict with other traffic or in compliance with the directions of a police officer or traffic-control device, in any of the following places:
[snip]
(b) In front of a public or private driveway or alley or within five (5) feet of the end of radius or side slope of any public or private driveway or alley with any street or highway;...

Minneapolis Code of Ordinances
Posts: 306 | From: Tacoma, WA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages