snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » Rantidote » Expensive condoms

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Expensive condoms
FullMetal
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FullMetal   E-mail FullMetal   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
ok, why the heck are non-latex condoms so damned expensive! they're 3 bucks a piece. opposed to latex of the same style being less than $0.50! why?

Sigh... I can't wait til I don't have to use them anymore.

Posts: 153 | From: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mickey is a Hanukkah Bush
O Come Let Us Adore Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mickey is a Hanukkah Bush   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Simple- non latex condoms are in lower demand.

--------------------
My mom, about my nervousness with Jeopardy!: "Don't worry about it. Just get drunk and you'll do fine."
Blog Just call me Mickey 2

Posts: 3295 | From: Radford, VA/Herndon, VA/Orlando, FL | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spamamander in a pear tree
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spamamander in a pear tree     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm also not sure which non-latex variety you're speaking of- I believe there are some that are polyurathane, and some that are "lambskin" (technically the thin intestinal membrane of a sheep, the "old-fashioned" condoms). I would imagine the process for making lambskin is less cost-effective than relatively cheap latex, and polyurathane might require more processing to make a thin, comfortable product.

This is all speculation though... happily my husband had the "big snip". Oh joyous day. [Big Grin]

--------------------
"There is a race between mankind and the universe. Mankind is trying to build bigger, better, faster, and more foolproof machines. The universe is trying to build bigger, better, and faster fools. So far the universe is winning." -Albert Einstein

Posts: 1058 | From: Yakima, WA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ms. Kringle
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ms. Kringle     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My problem is trying to find non-latex condoms that aren't lambskin.

I'd love to be able to find polyurethane, but I have yet to see them pretty much anywhere that resembles a drugstore, or a Sprawl Mart.

And not even for contraceptive purposes....let's just say they make great protection for other things.

--------------------
Beware corporate zombies! They will purchase your brain on E-Bay!

Posts: 2310 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rob D / Blackwolf, the yule dodo
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rob D / Blackwolf, the yule dodo   Author's Homepage   E-mail Rob D / Blackwolf, the yule dodo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The "Durex Avanti" non-latex condoms that I have, I bought at my local grocery store at the pharmacy section, about the same price as latex ones and I am quite sure I saw them at Walmart.

Its a black package with pinkish-purple swirls.

(and yes, I got my cables cut too, but bought those before i had it done, never used them, though.)

--------------------
~Reality, the refuge of those who fail in RPGs~
aka Darkfist Dragon
-==(UDIC)==-

Posts: 334 | From: Lancaster, Ohio | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
noftessa

Icon 1 posted      Profile for noftessa   E-mail noftessa   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
You think $3.00 is expensive? Wait until you have to pay for medical expenses from an STD or a kid - then you'll know expensive.

[fish]

--------------------
Dude, do we want to discuss why I was just hit in the head with a thumb?

Posts: 833 | From: San Diego, CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Aimee Evilpixie
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 503 posted      Profile for Aimee Evilpixie   Author's Homepage   E-mail Aimee Evilpixie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ms. Kringle:
My problem is trying to find non-latex condoms that aren't lambskin.

I'd love to be able to find polyurethane, but I have yet to see them pretty much anywhere that resembles a drugstore, or a Sprawl Mart.

And not even for contraceptive purposes....let's just say they make great protection for other things.

If you don't mind ordering them online, I think Babeland has them. I know they have non-latex gloves for those with latex allergies. (They fit really nice and come in black, so I actually have some for when I'm dying my hair or working on messy craft projects.)

--------------------
Ugg want you find JESUS!

My website!

Posts: 1853 | From: Washington (The State) | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Monster Joe
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monster Joe   Author's Homepage   E-mail Monster Joe   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
We use condoms when we have reason to doubt the effectiveness of the pill (she got sick, took antibiotics, forgot one...)
We have to use non allergenic condoms as well.
They are extremely expensive!
11 euro for a pack of 5 Durex Avanti, whereas the average Durex is 6 euro for a dozen or so.

So I feel the OPs pain [Frown]
Luckily we don't have to use many.

--------------------
You're saying "Long Live Rock n Roll!" not "Let's go home and drink a beer"

Posts: 43 | From: Belgium | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
FullMetal
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FullMetal   E-mail FullMetal   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Exactly Monster Joe, it's $15.99 CAD for a 5 pack of Durex Avanti... where right now i can get a pack of 26 latex condoms for $6.99

As for the medical bills from a kid noftessa. it's not so much the medical bills since I have health care, but it's more the formula and diapers and clothes. but his smiles pay for that in spades. (poor guy is teething right now though) and we're just waiting til she can start taking the pill again.

Posts: 153 | From: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Casey, making hot chocolate
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Casey, making hot chocolate   Author's Homepage   E-mail Casey, making hot chocolate   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Interest.... piqued... [Razz]

--------------------
"To be or not to be! That is the question! Now, will you answer, dare, double dare, or take the Physical Challenge?" --Mark Summers as Hamlet
Countdown: 177 days and counting... or less. My blog. 14 keyboards owed.

Posts: 5584 | From: Ohio | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
noftessa

Icon 1 posted      Profile for noftessa   E-mail noftessa   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by FullMetal:
As for the medical bills from a kid noftessa. it's not so much the medical bills since I have health care, but it's more the formula and diapers and clothes. but his smiles pay for that in spades. (poor guy is teething right now though) and we're just waiting til she can start taking the pill again.

Oh, I know, I was just being a doof.

I am lucky that when I was using condoms (prior to me taking the pill), I not only didn't have an allergy to latex, but my mom works for the company that makes Trojans, so I used to get (and still do) literally hundreds of condoms every few months. I only wish I could use them that quickly!!

--------------------
Dude, do we want to discuss why I was just hit in the head with a thumb?

Posts: 833 | From: San Diego, CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Monster Joe
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monster Joe   Author's Homepage   E-mail Monster Joe   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Casey, making hot chocolate:
quote:

Interest.... piqued... [Razz]
They are great for keeping water out of the barrel of rifles. Of course, you don't need anti-allergenic ones for that application...

--------------------
You're saying "Long Live Rock n Roll!" not "Let's go home and drink a beer"

Posts: 43 | From: Belgium | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages