snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » Rantidote » You are not British, and the ren faire is over!!! (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: You are not British, and the ren faire is over!!!
Echinodermata Q. Taft
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Echinodermata Q. Taft   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Magdalene:
...the "British-isms" have always mildly annoyed me, because she'll 'hiccup' them--she'll start to say, "I'm going to stuff my fa--gob." "I'm going to wash all my un--knickers." I think I've just always thought, "You were already halfway through the 'American' word anyway, the British one isn't your first choice, quit it."

Up until you said this, I was with the people who were asking "What's the big deal?" If she just fell into the habit of using such terms, well, that's part of her personality; it may sound silly to you, but let her have her fun. But if she's actually correcting herself to use them...yeah, that'd be pretty annoying, though in a strange sort of way.

However, I don't see what there is to do about it...except perhaps what you did, blow off steam here so it doesn't boil over into something unnecessarily nasty there. So, blow away. [Smile]

(And hey! What's wrong with quoting large swaths of Monty Python sketches anyway...?)

--------------------
http://eqtaft.blogspot.com

Hope for the future! http://www.runobama.com

Posts: 3218 | From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
christmas tree kitapper
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for christmas tree kitapper     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Here I thought the rant was about those obnoxious Ren Faire ads on the radio in really bad British accents. Or does only Arizona get those?

--------------------
"I have never in my life been more disappointed by a politician I voted for than I have been with George Bush. He is a total liberal."- overheard by me on the shuttle to the U of A game on Nov. 11th.

Posts: 3878 | From: Tucson, AZ | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise   Author's Homepage   E-mail Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
In DC, they were usually delivered in American accents. The annoying part was that the narrator would always speed up at the very end so that she could mention in the closing seconds that there would be "lots of men in kilts" there. [lol]

--------------------
Another lifetime I'd have fallen in love with you
Swept away by my feelings, ashamed and confused
But just now it's enough to be walking with you
Let the mystery play as it will! -Lui Collins

Posts: 2669 | From: Jouy en Josas, France | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brad from Georgia
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brad from Georgia   Author's Homepage   E-mail Brad from Georgia   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
By Jove, I like a gel who wears unknickers!

--------------------
"No hard feelin's and HOPpy New Year!"--Walt Kelly
Hear what you're missing: ARTC podcasts! http://artcpodcast.org/

Posts: 7581 | From: Gainesville, Georgia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Eddylizard
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eddylizard     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Presumably UN Knickers are light blue, and monitor the withdrawal by combatants from a former conflict area. [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Ladies and gentlemen, this is what is commonly known as money. It comes in all sizes, colours, and denominations - like people."

Posts: 997 | From: Maidstone, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
trollface
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trollface   Author's Homepage   E-mail trollface   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Echinodermata Q. Taft:
(And hey! What's wrong with quoting large swaths of Monty Python sketches anyway...?)

Well, it is 40 years old, and comedy has moved on a little since.

Think of it like a Brit quoting large swathes of The Carol Burnett Show.

--------------------
seriously , everyone on here , just trys to give someone crap about something they do !! , its shitting me to tears.

Posts: 16061 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Amigone201
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amigone201   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by trollface:
quote:

Heh. Or Welcome Back Kotter, or All in the Family. Happy Days.

Well, those aren't quite 40 years old yet...Gah, 40 years would put us around Get Smart, I'd say.

That would be a riot; the Brits quoting old American sitcoms. They probably wouldn't get what they were joking about.

--------------------
Check out my blog! http://fundiewatch.blogspot.com

Posts: 1527 | From: Buffalo, NY | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Christie
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Christie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

I think you're reaching a bit to make Python seem irrelevant but, frankly, there are lots of great lines from The Carol Burnett Show, that probably do get quoted pretty often.

Chris "..this old thing? I saw it in a window and couldn't resist..." tie

--------------------
If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, it's just possible you haven't grasped the situation. - Jean Kerr

Posts: 18428 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spamamander in a pear tree

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spamamander in a pear tree     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
We 'ave found a witch, may we burn 'er? [Big Grin]

--------------------
"There is a race between mankind and the universe. Mankind is trying to build bigger, better, faster, and more foolproof machines. The universe is trying to build bigger, better, and faster fools. So far the universe is winning." -Albert Einstein

Posts: 1058 | From: Yakima, WA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
trollface
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trollface   Author's Homepage   E-mail trollface   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Christie:
[QB]I think you're reaching a bit to make Python seem irrelevant[...]

Well, to be brutally frank, I couldn't think of any American sketch show from the 60s that was hugely influential on comedy. Hmm, maybe Dan Ackroyd, Chevvy Chase and John Belushi on Saturday Night Live.

But, as it is, I'm not sure that I can think of much in the way of British comedy that is influenced by Monty Python any more. There's a tendency to label anything somewhat surreal as "Pythonesque", but I'm having a hard time thinking of anything more recent than Reeves And Mortimer that could be described as in any way similar.

If anything, comedy has seemingly regressed to pre-Python days. There's a return to variety, and a return of catchphrase comedy (the latter of which, I think, is directly attributable to The Fast Show - which is 12 years old itself).

quote:
[...]frankly, there are lots of great lines from The Carol Burnett Show, that probably do get quoted pretty often.
"Large swathes", though?

You have to admit that Monty Python does seem to hold a special place in many American's hearts. Which, much as I love the show (and grew up on it), I have to say that I find utterly bemusing.

--------------------
seriously , everyone on here , just trys to give someone crap about something they do !! , its shitting me to tears.

Posts: 16061 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nick Theodorakis
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nick Theodorakis   E-mail Nick Theodorakis   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Well, to be brutally frank, I couldn't think of any American sketch show from the 60s that was hugely influential on comedy. Hmm, maybe Dan Ackroyd, Chevvy Chase and John Belushi on Saturday Night Live.
The Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour and Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In come to mind. SNL didn't start until the 1970's.

Nick

--------------------
Don't forget to register for the New ULMB.

Announcement here

Posts: 1089 | From: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
glisp42
I'm Dreaming Of A White iPod

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glisp42   Author's Homepage   E-mail glisp42   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Veeeeeeery interesting. But stupid!

--------------------
What does "Bookachow", "YOMANK" and other lingo mean?

And we'll collect the moments one by one I guess that's how the future's done. -Feist

Posts: 1641 | From: Kansas | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nick Theodorakis
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nick Theodorakis   E-mail Nick Theodorakis   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
You bet your sweet bippy!

Nick

--------------------

Announcement here

Posts: 1089 | From: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nick Theodorakis:
quote:
quote:

The Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour and Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In come to mind. SNL didn't start until the 1970's.

Nick

He missed it by THAT much.

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Winter Morning
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Winter Morning     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Sock it to me!

Morning

Posts: 321 | From: Ohio (Land of Good Morning) | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
trollface
The Bills of St. Mary's

And yet I've not heard any of those things said here on snopes, yet the Pythons crop up all the time.

--------------------

Christie
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Christie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nick Theodorakis:
quote:
quote:

Nick

Mom always liked you best.

--------------------
If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, it's just possible you haven't grasped the situation. - Jean Kerr

Posts: 18428 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
You have to admit that Monty Python does seem to hold a special place in many American's hearts.

There are at least as many Americans, and probably far more, who actively dislike it or just don't find it funny. It's mostly a nerdy thing.

quote:
Which, much as I love the show (and grew up on it), I have to say that I find utterly bemusing.
Novelty factor, maybe. Plus, since it was never on network TV, you kind of had to find it, which may have given it some cachet. Sort of a nerd chic.

--------------------

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Christie
The Bills of St. Mary's

Most young people I know aren't really into the TV sketch show as much as they are into the films. My son is 19 and he and his friends love "Life of Brian" and "Holy Grail" - to the point where, yeah, they do know whole swatches of it off by heart.

I'm not sure why that's something they should feel stupid about though nor do I see them liking Python to the exclusion of more recent films & TV shows.

Trollface are you equally bemused by those of us who love Jack Benny, Burns and Allen and the Marx Brothers?

--------------------

trollface
The Bills of St. Mary's

I've never encountered anyone reciting whole scenes from Jack Benny, Burns and Allen or the Marx Brothers.

--------------------

Christie
The Bills of St. Mary's

quote:
I've never encountered anyone reciting whole scenes from Jack Benny, Burns and Allen or the Marx Brothers.

I was responding to your:

quote:
You have to admit that Monty Python does seem to hold a special place in many American's hearts. Which, much as I love the show (and grew up on it), I have to say that I find utterly bemusing.

Not so much the "whole swatches" bit.

--------------------

Lainie

quote:

I've encountered people reciting whole scenes from the latter two, especially the Marx Brothers.

I've also encountered people reciting whole scenes from the Three Stooges, which I find entirely unfunny. I suppose that would bemuse me if I gave it any thought.

--------------------

Christie
The Bills of St. Mary's

quote:
Originally posted by Lainie:

I've also encountered people reciting whole scenes from the Three Stooges, which I find entirely unfunny. I suppose that would bemuse me if I gave it any thought.

Is liking the Stooges a guy thing do you think? I've never met a woman yet who liked them but I know lots of otherwise intelligent men who find the Stooges hilarious.

--------------------

Brad from Georgia

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brad from Georgia   Author's Homepage   E-mail Brad from Georgia   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

quote:
Jack: Hmmm...sure is dark tonight...no moon. Oh, well. (Hums "Love in Bloom") Ya ta dee da dah, da dah, da dah....

Mel: Hey, buddy. Got a light?

Jack: What?

Mel: Got a light?

Jack: Oh. Oh, sure -- Mister! Put down that gun!

Mel: Shaddup! Your money or your life!

[EXTENDED PAUSE]

Mel: I said your money or your life!

Jack: I'm thinking it over!

quote:

George: Gracie! What were you doing outside at this time of night?

Gracie: I was down at the corner, helping my brother look for his car keys. He lost them in the middle of the block.

George: He lost his keys in the middle of the block? Then why were you looking for them down at the corner?

Gracie: Well, it's an awfully dark night, and the street light is at the corner--

George: ...and the light is better down there.

quote:

Groucho (Unfolding a set of plans): Now all along the river here, these are levees--

Chico: Oh, that's the Jewish section?

Groucho: Well, we'll pass over that. You're a peach. Now, this is a little peninsula, and here's a viaduct leading over to the mainland--

Chico: Why a duck?

Groucho: Oh, I'm all right, how are you? I say here is a little peninsula and this is a viaduct leading over to the mainland.

Chico: All right, why a duck?

Groucho: I'm not playing Ask Me Another! I say that's a viaduct--

Chico: All right, but why a duck? Why a no chicken?

Groucho: Look, that's--that's deep water! You try to get over that, you'll find out why-a no chicken!

--------------------

Posts: 7581 | From: Gainesville, Georgia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie

quote:
quote:

Is liking the Stooges a guy thing do you think? I've never met a woman yet who liked them but I know lots of otherwise intelligent men who find the Stooges hilarious.
I've noticed the same pattern. It did bemuse me, I guess, when I was a kid and had to put up with my brothers watching them on the only TV in our tiny little house. Now I'm older and wiser and have my own TV and I don't really care who finds what funny.

--------------------

Christie
The Bills of St. Mary's

quote:
Originally posted by Brad from Georgia:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by trollface:
[qb] I've never encountered anyone reciting whole scenes from Jack Benny, Burns and Allen or the Marx Brothers.

quote:
Jack: Hmmm...sure is dark tonight...no moon. Oh, well. (Hums "Love in Bloom") Ya ta dee da dah, da dah, da dah....

Mel: Hey, buddy. Got a light?

Jack: What?

Mel: Got a light?

Jack: Oh. Oh, sure -- Mister! Put down that gun!

Mel: Shaddup! Your money or your life!

[EXTENDED PAUSE]

Mel: I said your money or your life!

Jack: I'm thinking it over!

When I was in labour with my first child *after* the epidural I was listening to this on a tape. The doctors came in to check on me and couldn't understand why this about-to-give-birth lady was lying on the hospital bed howling with laughter.

--------------------

Brad from Georgia

Another favorite moment, when opera singer Dorothy Kirsten was Jack Benny's guest:

quote:

Don Wilson: I saw your performance last night, Miss Kirsten, and may I say it was wonderful.

Dorothy: Why, thank you, Mr. Wilson.

Don: I thought your attack was splendid, and your bel canto was wonderful, such a difficult passage and your coloratura was impeccable.

Dorothy: Yes, it's very difficult not to put much tremolo in the higher registers.

Don: But you did a superb job, and your voice held up wonderfully even in the recitative immediately preceding the aria.

Jack Benny: Well, I thought--

Mary Livingstone: Oh, shut up!

--------------------

ChelleGame

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ChelleGame   E-mail ChelleGame   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Some comedy is timeless, and there is no reason why people should stop quoting a routine or lines from a movie, if it still resonates for them.

--------------------
Michelle

Posts: 953 | From: Ely, Minnesota | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
VersesBatman
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for VersesBatman     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
"I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How it got into my pajamas, I'll never know."

--------------------
It's like they took a bunch of movies, put them in a blender and turned it on really fast!-Mystery Science Theater 3000

Posts: 2603 | From: Magna, Utah | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NeeCD
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NeeCD   E-mail NeeCD       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

I have one female friend who loves the Stooges, and we've had this conversation (I don't really get the humor, myself). Neither of us have met any other women who like the Stooges, either, but there's at least one.

ETA - As far as quoting outdated British comedy sketches go, I prefer Blackadder to Python. I'd never admit it in my circle, though - I have to keep pretending "The Larch" is just hilarious.

--------------------
I wondered why the Frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
What does "Bookachow", "YOMANK!" and other lingo mean?

Posts: 1720 | From: Stafford Hamlet, OR | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
desertdweller
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for desertdweller   E-mail desertdweller   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My wife loves the Sttoges but, she likes all slapstick humor (or, to be British, humour). So, there are at least 2.

When I was in the army, I had a senior NCO that spent a great deal of time in Englad. When he was in a good mood, he would lapse into a psuedo British accent. Example of chewing out a private that had his shirt pocket unbuttoned. "soldier, you are naked!!!, stark, bloomin' 'orrible naked!!"

Living in Bahrain, I have uncontiously picked up a few Britishisms, like saying "flat" and not "apartment" or "lift" and not "elevator".

--------------------
Just singin' in the Bahrain

Posts: 49 | From: Manama, Bahrain | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lgreywolf
Deck the Malls

Icon 104 posted      Profile for Lgreywolf   E-mail Lgreywolf   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

I must regrettably admit that the Wolfcub absolutely loves the Three Stooges; she's seven, I'm hoping she grows out of it. Mr. Greywolf turned her on to them, something I'm definitely bringing up as a bargaining chip in the future if need be.

For now, he gets a [fish]

--------------------
"Most Jewish holidays can be summed up very simply: They tried to kill us. We won. Let's eat." - my in-laws' Rabbi.

Posts: 430 | From: North of Boston, MA | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nick Theodorakis
We Three Blings

I've also heard many people recite all or parts of Abbott and Costello's Who's on first comic routine.

And really, it's the height of provincialism to suggest that the frequency of snopester quoting is a measure of the influence or popularity of a comedy show; the ULMB isn't the whole world, much as we'd like to think so.

Nick

--------------------

Announcement here

dawnda
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dawnda   E-mail dawnda   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
However, I don't see what there is to do about it...except perhaps what you did, blow off steam here so it doesn't boil over into something unnecessarily nasty there. So, blow away. [Smile]

I'd suggest turning the tables on her & doing it myself. Learn a few British slang terms that she likely doesn't know. And next time she gets in a snit, tell her, "Don't get your nappy in a bunch." And see how long it takes her to get it. (Why quote MP when you can quote Black Adder?) [Wink]

dawn-who doesn't wear a nappy-da

--------------------
Behind every good man there is a good woman and behind that another
man looking at her rear end.

Posts: 35 | From: Maryland | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brad from Georgia

Better yet, just make up nonsensical words that sound as if they barely might be British slang and throw them in:

"Strang! If this hooftah doesn't pring the bangle soon, I'm going absolutely spice!"

--------------------

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages