snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » Rantidote » Hated Holiday Foods (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Hated Holiday Foods
Tootsie Plunkette
Buy a Torch, Jeanette, Isabella

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tootsie Plunkette   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm 3/4 Swedish, live in a region with several Scandinavian restaurants and food stores, and I have travelled to Sweden and Norway, but I'd never tasted lutefisk.

Until last year, when I found out that our local IKEA was serving it during the holidays. I went over and tried some. It was pretty much what I expected. At the table next to me was a man who'd grown up having it every Christmas at his grandmother's house, and had made a pilgrimage to IKEA when he heard they were serving it. He described a spicy mustard sauce that she would serve with the fish, it sounded delicious.

Husband and I went to IKEA yesterday and split a dish of lutefisk (and some meatballs). I think we'll make it a holiday tradition; maybe we're gluttons for punishment.

IKEA serves it with cream or butter. I'd like to try it with that mustard sauce. Something to add a little flavor...

--------------------
--Tootsie

Posts: 5017 | From: Greater Seattle | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ms. Kringle
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ms. Kringle     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I love green bean casserole, but I make a horribly high in fat version that doesn't involve just dumping cans in a casserole dish.

Nope, I start with mushrooms and onion sauteed in butter, add one can of cream of mushroom soup (that's the ONLY CAN OF STUFF I add), a cup of heavy cream, a cup of shredded Cheddar cheese, and a bag of fresh-frozen green beans. Top it with french-fried onions (okay, that's two cans, so sue me), bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes, and it's sooooo goooooood.

But, I hate eggnog, I hate mince pies, I hate that nasty ass sweet potato casserole with marshmallows on top of it, I despise giblets, and you can't pay me enough to eat that nasty cranberry jello mold in a can.

--------------------
Beware corporate zombies! They will purchase your brain on E-Bay!

Posts: 2310 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Christie
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Christie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I can't think, offhand, of any holiday Christmas foods that I dislike. In England, at New Years I did try haggis a few years ago. I didn't hate it. Exactly. But I won't be trying it again.

--------------------
If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, it's just possible you haven't grasped the situation. - Jean Kerr

Posts: 18428 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
jaimilyn
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jaimilyn   E-mail jaimilyn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
mincemeat pie is nasty, and I can only drink about 1 glass of eggnog a year.

Christmas chocolates on the other hand, I can't get enough of [Smile]

Posts: 2 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Spiked eggnog is oh-so-much better than it is right out of the carton.

--------------------
"When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty."--George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 19266 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DarkDan
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarkDan   Author's Homepage   E-mail DarkDan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Why all the eggnog hatred? I like it, even though I can't stand eggs any other way (with the exception of baking or frying in food). I especially like the Southern Comfort Vanilla Spice one. Yum!

--------------------
Missing snopesters | snopesters Facebook group | SLC Birthdays | What does "Bookachow", "YOMANK!" and other lingo mean?
"Gonna free fall out into nothing, gonna leave this world for a while" --Tom Petty

Posts: 3698 | From: Philadelphia, PA or >Tinton Falls, NJ< | Registered: Oct 1492  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snapdragonfly

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snapdragonfly     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Eggnog from the carton is bleah.

It's better if you mix it half and half with regular milk. Then spike it - I prefer rum.

Then top with REAL whipped cream and a dusting of nutmeg.

And serve with FRUITCAKE, muhahah.

Seriously, there are some good fruitcakes around. Not all are created equal.

I'd eat even the bad ones gladly though before I ate gravy with BOILED EGGS in them, barf barf BARF, eeuwww. I'd never even HEARD of such a travesty until my dad married my stepmom and that's how her family served gravy, and not only did they ass up perfectly good gravy with little eggie chunks floating around in it, they put it in the dressing *sob* and RUUeeend perfectly good cornbread dressing with these horrible rubbery sharp little egg bits. -hard boiled eggs, sliced into wee little squares, then cooked again till rubbery, have sharp corners. Did you know that? Food should not have sharp corners.

--------------------
"Wolves, dragons and vampires, man. Draw the nut-bars like big ol' nut-bar magnets." ~evilrabbit

(snurched because one of my nutbar family members is all about wolves and another one is all about dragons...)(with apologies to surfcitydogdad)

Posts: 2397 | From: Texarkana, TX | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bach_girl

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bach_girl   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LyndaD:

Turkey gravy with scrambled eggs in it.

Who makes this and why? That is something I have never heard of.

--------------------
"My Very Educated Mother Just Said Uh-oh! No...Pluto..."~ Steven Colbert

Posts: 3256 | From: Somewhere in Ohio | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DevilBunny
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DevilBunny   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Brussels sprouts. They are evil.

I have friends whose parents insist on making them eat sprouts at every Christmas dinner. One of them finally cracked and informed his parents, 'I am thirty years old, I still do not like sprouts, I will not ever like sprouts, and I'm not going to eat them.'

Bet he still gets them on his plate, though.

Turkey... I don't mind turkey, it's just usually a bit dry and flavourless. This is why I normally celebrate the Solstice with roast beef. Or goose. Mmmm, goose...

--------------------
"For God has seven thousand names, and one of them is bastard"

Posts: 420 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Signora Del Drago
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Signora Del Drago     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bach_girl:
quote:

I still wonder if there is confusion here between scrambled eggs and boiled eggs. Chopped up boiled eggs in gravy is bad enough, but I think scrambled would be even worse. Yecch!

quote:
Originally posted by DevilBunny:
Brussels sprouts. They are evil.

I have friends whose parents insist on making them eat sprouts at every Christmas dinner. One of them finally cracked and informed his parents, 'I am thirty years old, I still do not like sprouts, I will not ever like sprouts, and I'm not going to eat them.'

Bet he still gets them on his plate, though.

Turkey... I don't mind turkey, it's just usually a bit dry and flavourless. This is why I normally celebrate the Solstice with roast beef. Or goose. Mmmm, goose...

When my son was small, he put his Brussels sprouts in his pocket and threw them in the trash later. I thought he had eaten them. He must have done it quite a few times before I discovered one still in his pocket when I started to do laundry. I guess he didn't get all of them in the trash that time! I stopped giving them to him then. My daughter and I are the only people I know who like them.

--------------------
"This air we're breathing. Oxygen, isn't it?"~I’mNotDedalus, impersonating Vincent D’Onofrio.|"Sometimes trying to communicate can be like walking through a minefield."~wanderwoman
"Give people a break. It's not easy doing a life."~Joshua Halberstam

Posts: 4020 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Signora Del Drago, G.R.I.T.S.:
quote:
Originally posted by Bach_girl:
quote:

I still wonder if there is confusion here between scrambled eggs and boiled eggs. Chopped up boiled eggs in gravy is bad enough, but I think scrambled would be even worse. Yecch!

My mom used to make the chopped-up boiled eggs in gravy when I was growing up. It was okay when you were sick.

--------------------
"When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty."--George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 19266 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lydia Oh Lydia

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lydia Oh Lydia   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
People have mentioned some pretty nasty things. The first thing that came to my mind, however, was eggnog. Gross.

--------------------
"My name is the symbol for my identity and must not be lost." Motto of the Lucy Stone League.

Posts: 1815 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dieter Meyer
Deck the Malls

Icon 86 posted      Profile for Dieter Meyer     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by quiltsbypam:
I don't remember what it's called now, but my Portuguese ex-MIL used to make some kind of cod dish for Christmas.

Bacalao?

Oh, and I heartily agree with everyone who's mentioned lutefisk - yuck! Luckily my family doesn't eat it, not even my father who's from up north.

Another thing is a dish called surkål (lit. 'sour cabbage'), which basically is sauerkraut, but not as sour. Still pretty foul though.
Unfortunately, the rest of the family seems to like this one [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
"Soyons désinvoltes; n'ayons l'air de rien" - Noir Désir

Posts: 255 | From: Norvegr | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
mrs.hi-c clown fishies
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mrs.hi-c clown fishies     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I had no idea there were so many sweet-potato haters out there. As I type, I have my dish o'candied sweet potatoes ready to go in the oven. Just have to get the ham out [Smile] My mom makes a really good pie too.

There isn't much food that I don't like for the holidays, except that I've discovered that I really loathe DH's grandma's pineapple chicken dish that she makes. They don't add any spices to the chicken so it's really bland, and the last few times the chicken was dry too. Actually that's how they cook most of their food....bland...yuck!

One food I'll really miss out on having this year is the smoked fish my cousin brings to the family get together. Usually he brings a walleye.

--------------------
This song has no title...just words and a tune.

Instant Hi-C--Just add water...

Posts: 1620 | From: Michigan | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Singing in the Drizzle
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Singing in the Drizzle     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Lutefisk!!!

Coming for a poor Norwegain family that move to the US 150 years ago. It was a quite common thing to see on the Christmas dinner table. To quote a Norwegain chef I once heard on NPR "Its best served with a strong white sause, the stronger the better".

Tootsie Plunkette, lutefisk was the food of the poor in the scandiavan countries a hundred year or more ago. Therefor not seen in those countries much anymore. When the poor imigrated to the US from scandiava they brought the lutefisk with them and made it a Christmas tradition.

I like some of the the homemade fruitcakes, but none of the store boughten ones.

Love the green bean casserole, but our family has always messed with it over the years. You may find other things in it like patatos, corn, fryed oinons, cheese and tater-tots.

Posts: 597 | From: Bellingham, WA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sylvanz

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sylvanz   E-mail Sylvanz   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't like green bean casserole, but then I hate green beans. My mil made corn bread dressing and it took me years of trying it to like it. Now I love it. I've looked up ways to make it and oddly enough I've never seen a recipe that was much like hers. Make corn bread leave out the sugar. Crumble it into a casserole, add a bunch of chopped green onions about 5 or 6 hard boiled eggs, [Wink] salt and pepper and a couple of cans of warm chicken broth, bake about a half hour. Yummy!

I've never had most of the stuff mentioned here that sounds bad to me, Lutfisk - anything that can ruin your flatware or pans can't be good for you. Mince pie sounds nasty. I loved candied sweet potatoes but I bet I'd like them better made with fresh potatoes. I'm not likely to find out though 'cause now that my mom and dad are gone I don't make it 'cause I'm the only one who likes it.

P&LL, Syl

--------------------
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. — Voltaire

Posts: 1944 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Christie
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Christie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Signora Del Drago, G.R.I.T.S.:
My daughter and I are the only people I know who like them.

Maybe we can start a club? My husband and my kids and I all like brussel sprouts. When we live in England we get brussel sprouts often - any "Sunday roast" lunch at a pub will almost always have brussel sprouts on the menu for instance. Around here (Ottawa) we have to cook our own.

--------------------
If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, it's just possible you haven't grasped the situation. - Jean Kerr

Posts: 18428 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
glass papaya
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glass papaya   E-mail glass papaya   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Singing in the Drizzle:
Lutefisk!!!

Coming for a poor Norwegain family that move to the US 150 years ago. It was a quite common thing to see on the Christmas dinner table. To quote a Norwegain chef I once heard on NPR "Its best served with a strong white sause, the stronger the better".

Tootsie Plunkette, lutefisk was the food of the poor in the scandiavan countries a hundred year or more ago. Therefor not seen in those countries much anymore. When the poor imigrated to the US from scandiava they brought the lutefisk with them and made it a Christmas tradition.

I am of the opinion that lutefisk is a funny joke Norwegians played on gullible Americans who want to get in touch with their Norwegian roots. I think noone ever actually ate it in Norway, they just made us think they did, and now they laugh at us for actually consuming the stuff. [Big Grin]

I jest. Except the laughing part.

Lutefisk must be consumed with Akvavit. Lots of it. This guy says that if you can taste the difference between caviar on a cracker and ketchup on a Kit Kat bar, you haven't had enough akvavit yet. [Wink]

Posts: 544 | From: Onalaska, WI | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
VersesBatman

Icon 1 posted      Profile for VersesBatman     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I love brussel sprouts!

--------------------
It's like they took a bunch of movies, put them in a blender and turned it on really fast!-Mystery Science Theater 3000

Posts: 2603 | From: Magna, Utah | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
El Camino
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for El Camino   E-mail El Camino   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by VersesBatman:
I love brussel sprouts!

Seconded!
Posts: 1048 | From: Brunswick, Maine | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
kitoboo
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kitoboo   E-mail kitoboo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'll join the brussel sprouts club. Love 'em.

-kitoboo

Posts: 399 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
James G.
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for James G.   Author's Homepage   E-mail James G.   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hate both Christmas Pudding and Christmas cake. Seeing as the only other foods I dislike are beetroot and a few strong cheeses, this does somewhat give the festive season a strong bias.

However this year I shall be trying both again, as its probably a few years since I last tried, and as I'm only 22 I figured my tastes are still changing. I've also recently managed to gain a taste for red wine, and have pushed olives into 'okayish.'

ETA: Green bean casserole? Must be a US thing, or just something I've avoided.

And what on earth are people doing adding marshmallows to sweet potatoes? Why Godamnit why! And candied? You may have realised that this idea is just bizzare to my (British?) ears. I've only ever met sweet potatoes in a savoury context, roasted with olive oil, perhaps some rosemary, garlic. Plus I don't consider them christmas food at all, just an every day thing. (Although strangely I did have them today)

Also never had eggnog. Again I don't know if this s a symptom of my Britishness, or just family tradition.

And on another issue, what do people mean by stuffing? I'm assuming sage and onion? Its just that my family christmas dinner traditionally has chestnut stuffing, sausagemeat stuffing and bread sauce.

Also, eggs in gravy? Is US gravy the fame as UK gravy (Thickened stock, occasionally with added onions, although ususally smooth. Can also be made from gravy granules. Ahhh Bisto!)

--------------------
This is a public service announcement. The board is moving. Check Announcements Photos[/URL]

Posts: 1302 | From: Edinburgh, UK (Currently Nr. Swindon, UK) | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
kizzcee007
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kizzcee007   E-mail kizzcee007   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
brussels are well yummy...i eat them cold too
Posts: 156 | From: UK | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Signora Del Drago

Icon 99 posted      Profile for Signora Del Drago     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
That's why I love this place. One can always find other weirdos here. [lol]

Brussels sprouts lovers of the world: Unite!
 -

--------------------
"This air we're breathing. Oxygen, isn't it?"~I’mNotDedalus, impersonating Vincent D’Onofrio.|"Sometimes trying to communicate can be like walking through a minefield."~wanderwoman

Posts: 4020 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Eddylizard
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eddylizard     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I cannot concieve of the concept of putting marshmallows on sweet potatoes. Or indeed using marshmallows in any type of cooking. Sounds like major vomit time to me. I assume we're talking about these type of marshmallow as opposed to this. .

As to eggs and gravy, I recall a co-worker describing how she liked nothing better than a fried breakfast (bacon, eggs, sausage, toast, baked beans etc) with a liberal helping of gravy. Bleurch!

Put me down for the sprout appreciation society though.

--------------------
"Ladies and gentlemen, this is what is commonly known as money. It comes in all sizes, colours, and denominations - like people."

Posts: 997 | From: Maidstone, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Singing in the Drizzle
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Singing in the Drizzle     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Breakfast gravy is milk based with sausage or baccon flavoring/drippings. It goes well with many cooked breakfast foods.
Posts: 597 | From: Bellingham, WA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brillo Bee
Wii Three Kings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brillo Bee     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
To the egg nog haters out there, have you tried homemade egg nog? I used to love the stuff in the carton until I started making my own, now the carton stuff just tastes really heavy and oversweetened and overprocessed and blech. OTOH, I lurve homemade egg nog, and I can make it lighter by adding more milk and sweeten just to my liking... It's best with some nice dark rum.

Mmmm
Bee

--------------------
People do not wish to appear foolish; to avoid the appearance of foolishness, they are willing to remain actually fools. -Alice Walker

Posts: 335 | From: Minnesota | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spamamander in a pear tree

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spamamander in a pear tree     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh wow, we have a whole brussels sprouts fan club here! Count me in! I can't ever make them because my husband freaks out at the very idea of having to smell them cooking. That's the reason I can't ever make corned beef and cabbage either- which I absolutely adore. Le sigh.

As an example to the Brits of what "stuffing" or "dressing" might be here, mine that I use to stuff a turkey I use seasoned bread chunks, cooked pork sausage, sauteed onion and celery, chopped walnuts, melted butter, and either broth or most commonly I cook the giblets in water a while and use that water to moisten the bread.

And sausage gravy in the morning over biscuits is pure artery-clogging heaven.

--------------------
"There is a race between mankind and the universe. Mankind is trying to build bigger, better, faster, and more foolproof machines. The universe is trying to build bigger, better, and faster fools. So far the universe is winning." -Albert Einstein

Posts: 1058 | From: Yakima, WA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Squishy0405
Wii Wiish You A Merry Chriistmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Squishy0405   Author's Homepage   E-mail Squishy0405   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
When I first read the title my mother in law's stuffing came to mind. I believe it is made with vinegar & wine. It's SO nasty my hubby won't touch it, & that's weird!

--------------------
"Fate is like a strange, unpopular resturant, filled with odd waiters who bring you things you never ask for and don't always like."-Lemony Snicket

Posts: 1119 | From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
VersesBatman

Icon 1 posted      Profile for VersesBatman     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I can't stand my mother in laws stuffing. I think she puts in too much sage.

--------------------
It's like they took a bunch of movies, put them in a blender and turned it on really fast!-Mystery Science Theater 3000

Posts: 2603 | From: Magna, Utah | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Signora Del Drago

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Signora Del Drago     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't stuff my turkey but make the dressing and cook it in a separate pan.

dry crumbled cornbread
slices of white bread torn into small pieces
onions
celery
chicken broth
salt & pepper
eggs (raw ones mixed in, not chopped boiled eggs)
Make it kind of soupy, and when it's done, it'll be nice and brown and kind of firm, but a lot moister than cornbread.

My grandmother used to make dressing by starting out with cornmeal, like she was going to make cornbread, but putting the other ingredients in it. It was wonderful! But, I've not been able to duplicate it. Does anyone know how? It saved having to make cornbread first, and she didn't have extra bowls and pans to wash.

My gravy is just plain, made with broth from the turkey - no giblets, no chopped boiled eggs. When I was a child, that's the kind of gravy we had with turkey and dressing, but other times, the gravy was plain, and I like plain gravy better.

ETA:
quote:
Originally posted by VersesBatman:
I can't stand my mother in laws stuffing. I think she puts in too much sage.

My mother-in-law put too much sage in hers, too. Yecch. As a result, I don't put any at all in mine. We like it better that way. That's the only thing she used to make that I didn't like. The rest of her food was always yummy.

--------------------

Eddylizard

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eddylizard     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Spamamander in a pear tree:
Oh wow, we have a whole brussels sprouts fan club here! Count me in! I can't ever make them because my husband freaks out at the very idea of having to smell them cooking.

Have you tried cooking them in the microwave? It cuts down the odour considerably.

--------------------
"Ladies and gentlemen, this is what is commonly known as money. It comes in all sizes, colours, and denominations - like people."

Posts: 997 | From: Maidstone, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
christmas tree kitapper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for christmas tree kitapper     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by glass papaya:
I am of the opinion that lutefisk is a funny joke Norwegians played on gullible Americans who want to get in touch with their Norwegian roots. I think noone ever actually ate it in Norway, they just made us think they did, and now they laugh at us for actually consuming the stuff. [Big Grin]

Years ago at EPCOT we ate at the Norwegian restaurant (Akershus) and asked the Norwegian waiter if he liked lutefisk. He recoiled and told us he couldn't imagine *anyone* liking lutefisk, and joked later that if they put lutefisk on the menu at the Akershus that the smell alone would drive everyone away.

--------------------
"I have never in my life been more disappointed by a politician I voted for than I have been with George Bush. He is a total liberal."- overheard by me on the shuttle to the U of A game on Nov. 11th.

Posts: 3878 | From: Tucson, AZ | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Singing in the Drizzle
Jingle Bell Hock

The other Scandinavian-American Christmas food lefsa is quit good and still served and easy to find in Norway. I was a poor persons food 100 or more years ago in Scandinavia like lutafisk. Unlike lutafist, lefsa is quite good tasting.
Signora Del Drago

Icon 506 posted      Profile for Signora Del Drago     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Eddylizard:
quote:
Originally posted by Spamamander in a pear tree:
Oh wow, we have a whole brussels sprouts fan club here! Count me in! I can't ever make them because my husband freaks out at the very idea of having to smell them cooking.

Have you tried cooking them in the microwave? It cuts down the odour considerably.
Tell your husband to go outside. You have a right to have some food you like, too! [Wink] I try to cook mostly what my husband wants just because I like the big ol' Teddy Bear, but I also cook Brussels sprouts and other things he doesn't like for myself whenever I want to. He's easy to please, though. Yay, him!

--------------------

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages