snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » Rantidote » Hated Holiday Foods (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Hated Holiday Foods
ica171
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ica171   E-mail ica171   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sparklygirl:
I agree on the green bean casserole--uugh
What else do I dislike at holiday meals...
sweet potatoes
anything pumpkin
anything with mushrooms
mincemeat pie
raisin pie
egg nog
Sparklygirl

I think you're related to my husband. With the exception of the green bean casserole--which he loves more than almost any other holiday dish--and the mincemeat, which I'm sure he's never had. If he had, though, he probably wouldn't like it.

As for me, I've never had fruitcake, but I haven't heard good things about it. I think if it's made without the weird fruits (orange peel, green maraschino cherries, citron, etc) I could probably give it a go. I HATE plum pudding. My mom got a gift basket with a little package of it in there, and it was so disgusting I spit it out. I could take or leave green bean casserole, and I'm not a big fan of huge hunks of "ham and water product." That stuff's only palatable if it's sliced really really thin and eaten with other stuff, like in a sandwich.

Someone at my aunt-IL's Thanksgiving made a salad out of canned mandarin oranges, nuts, pieces of banana, Cool Whip, and I think powdered Jell-O. If not for the canned oranges I would have tried it, but I doubt it would have been tasty either way.

I like sweet potatoes, but not with marshmallows or whatever. No matter how many times I try and get my mom to use fresh instead of canned, she always uses canned. Blech.

Posts: 384 | From: Iowa | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Signora Del Drago
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Signora Del Drago     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ica171:
As for me, I've never had fruitcake, but I haven't heard good things about it. I think if it's made without the weird fruits (orange peel, green maraschino cherries, citron, etc) I could probably give it a go. . .

. . .I like sweet potatoes, but not with marshmallows or whatever. No matter how many times I try and get my mom to use fresh instead of canned, she always uses canned. Blech.

But, but, but. . .if it doesn't have all those "weird" fruits in it, it's not a true fruitcake in the sense of the old-fashioned, homemade, Southern-style fruitcake. [Smile]

Here's a novel idea. How about you fix the sweet potatoes this year. (?) I bet your mom would appreciate the help, and you could have them any way you want them. [Wink]

--------------------
"This air we're breathing. Oxygen, isn't it?"~I’mNotDedalus, impersonating Vincent D’Onofrio.|"Sometimes trying to communicate can be like walking through a minefield."~wanderwoman
"Give people a break. It's not easy doing a life."~Joshua Halberstam

Posts: 4020 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
funkyteapots
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for funkyteapots   E-mail funkyteapots   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Least favorite: gagnog...oops, I mean eggnog. Yuk.

I like the green bean casserole better when it's made with yellow (wax) beans.

--------------------
Also...I can kill you with my brain. ~River Tam

Posts: 37 | From: Fort Worth, TX | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ica171
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ica171   E-mail ica171   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
We've already done our Christmas, since my dad's going to be out of town. I do get her to try different ways every once in a while, but it's like she forgets and goes back to the old standby. Plus, I'd bet my dad wants them that way even if he doesn't eat them. I will volunteer for sweet potato duty at Easter or Thanksgiving, though. I'd rather do sweet potatoes than our usual cookies; there's a lot less time and mess involved with the former. [Smile]
Posts: 384 | From: Iowa | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Green Eggs and Spam
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Green Eggs and Spam     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I never liked sweet potatoes or mincemeat, but like just about everything else, including the green bean casserole. I always liked fruitcake, especially my grandma's.
Posts: 272 | From: Winchester, Virginia | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
smallpotatoes

Icon 1 posted      Profile for smallpotatoes     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm another one who loves green bean casserole, but it was never a staple for holiday dinners when I was growing up. Instead my mom always makes something called corn and oysters. Yuck! It's some sort of corn casserole that she adds canned oysters to. I have to leave the room when she makes it. I can't stand the smell.

Jaci

Posts: 47 | From: Colorado | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
annabohly
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for annabohly   E-mail annabohly   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
chitterlings.....gross

--------------------
And always remember....when life hands you Lemons, ask for tequila and salt and call me over !!!!!

Posts: 521 | From: St. Louis, MO | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LyndaD
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LyndaD   E-mail LyndaD   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
No green bean cassarole! I'd never had it until I married DH. Our green beans came to Christmas dinner with bacon,=.

Canned sweet potatoes with marshmallows on top. I didn't know I liked sweet potatoes until I found a recipe for fresh sweet potatoes with allspice and chipotle.

Turkey gravy with scrambled eggs in it.

Store-bought pumpkin pie. I can eat other people's homemade pumpkin pie, but love my mom's recipe. I have to make pumpkin pie evey year now, in order to have it properly done.

--------------------
I'll drive it ugly. You can't see the paint job when you're behind the wheel, anyway.

Posts: 570 | From: Central Valley, California | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
VersesBatman
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for VersesBatman     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I used to hate turkey because my mom cooked it so dry. but I never liked:

Eggnog
The jellied cranberry sauce
Fruitcake

--------------------
It's like they took a bunch of movies, put them in a blender and turned it on really fast!-Mystery Science Theater 3000

Posts: 2603 | From: Magna, Utah | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
vanilla

Icon 1 posted      Profile for vanilla     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ham.

One of my uncles works for a pig farm and whilst visting him, we took a tour of the farm and I got to hold a small, squealing piglet. So cute! But that is not why I hate ham.

I used to love ham, but my mother tried to cook a whole fresh ham once and undercooked it. Lemme tell ya, undercooked ham tastes just like it smells live in a pig farm. [Eek!] I will never get over that. Which is a horrible thing for DH as it is a major food group of his - he loves all holidays at my parent's house when they make a ham and let him take home the majority of leftovers.

Eggnog and cranberries are also on my ick list. I'd include fruitcake, but I don't think I've ever tried it and so can't hate it! (Yet... [Razz] )

--------------------
I swear, it was funnier in my head.
Yeah, I used to be pink. vanilla_pink.

Posts: 2493 | From: California | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
vanilla

Icon 304 posted      Profile for vanilla     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LyndaD:

What the frick? Who puts scrambled eggs in their gravy? Wh.. wha.. Who puts eggs in gravy? [Eek!]

--------------------
I swear, it was funnier in my head.
Yeah, I used to be pink. vanilla_pink.

Posts: 2493 | From: California | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Giselle
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Giselle     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Sweet potatoes

Eggnog - The worst of all nogs!

And I don't hate it yet but I'm getting mighty close to hating pumpkin pie.

--------------------
Ralphie, get off the stage sweetheart.

Posts: 2041 | From: Yuba City, California | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
sparklygirl

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparklygirl   E-mail sparklygirl   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have to add that I hate, hate, hate those "mix everything up and bake it" kind of egg casseroles that are always served at brunches during the holidays.

Sparklygirl

--------------------
Few things are harder to put up with than a good example. -- Mark Twain
_ _______________________________ _

For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism.

Posts: 34 | From: SW Missouri | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
happyholidaysfrog
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for happyholidaysfrog   Author's Homepage   E-mail happyholidaysfrog   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The only holiday food I truly dislike is giblet gravy. Yuck and gag.

I like green bean cassarole if it's done right(lots of onions and seasoning).

Fruitcake really isn't a tradition for my family.

My favorite holiday foods are the cherry delight my uncle makes and the X-Mas morning walnut stickey buns.

--------------------
~All we see or seem is but a dream within a dream~
E.A.Poe

Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today.
~James Dean~

Posts: 516 | From: Anderson, Indiana | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
diehard
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for diehard     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I am another that can totally do without the green bean casserole,egg nog and cranberry sauce are a no no. I like my sweet potatoes baked they are so much better that way. I have never tasted minced pie and am afraid to there just seems to be too many flavors there just like fruit cake.

Being of Italian decent I will say that the whole fish thing does not appeal to me. I can eat cod, shrimp, crab, scallops and that's about it.

I don't venture to try too many new things in life in the food categories I am pretty happy where I am.

ETA Being that most don't like turkey around here and due to medical reasons I am not allowed a lot of protein we decided on making stuffed cornish hens this year. This way I won't make one for me and each person will have one cutting down on the waste(I hate cleaning the cooked turkey)

--------------------
Daddy "You are my "Special Angel" 1942-1999"

Posts: 440 | From: Greensburg, Pennsylvania | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spamamander in a pear tree
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 86 posted      Profile for Spamamander in a pear tree     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Eggnog is TEH EBIL. I've never even tried the stuff, but the smell wrenches my stomach into knots.

The old-fashioned holiday hard candy- the filled fruit things and ribbons and such. they never tasted like anything to me. Evil Sugary Things

I admit to making a cool-whip salad. Mix powdered strawberry jello into a tub of cool whip, add marshmallows, chopped nuts, mandarin wedges (I substitute sliced frozen strawberries) and crushed pineapple. My mom does a pistachio pudding version with just marshmallows and walnuts mixed in.

I can't -stand- mashed up "candied yams" from the can with marshmallows. I have a lovely recipe to mix sweet potato slices with a glaze of brown sugar, butter, cinnamon and nutmeg with pecans, with a top of marshmallows at the very end. Unfortunately I never get to make it because I'm the only one who eats it.

For DOYC sake don't put chopped up turkey organs in my gravy or stuffing. Egawds. I do simmer the neck and giblets for a while and use that water to make the stuffing, and then the dogs get a nice treat of the cooked parts. I just can't do organs of any kind, beef liver, giblets, gizzards, chitlin's, menudo... NOPE. Needless to say haggis is the food of nightmares for me.

--------------------
"There is a race between mankind and the universe. Mankind is trying to build bigger, better, faster, and more foolproof machines. The universe is trying to build bigger, better, and faster fools. So far the universe is winning." -Albert Einstein

Posts: 1058 | From: Yakima, WA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
piper
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for piper   Author's Homepage   E-mail piper   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My mom makes a Cool Whip salad like Spamamander's except with pistachio pudding, and I LOVE it. Guess that makes me an odd duck.

We never had green bean casserole, but my aunt used to make a zucchini casserole along those same lines, which is also one of my all-time favorites.

I'm not big on candied yams (at least not those from a can with marshmallows on top), but other than that, I like pretty much any holiday-type food.

--------------------
"I shoot and crochet. I cook and mow the lawn. These things are not contradictions."
-pirateslife

Posts: 377 | From: Southern Illinois | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snapdragonfly

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snapdragonfly     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Spamamander, I don't eat "guts" either.

My mom tried to make sweetbread and pass it off on us one time and I didn't know what they were, for sure, but I knew they weren't right and I wasn't eating them.

Ditto on the giblet gravy. I don't like anything in my gravy except gravy.

--------------------
"Wolves, dragons and vampires, man. Draw the nut-bars like big ol' nut-bar magnets." ~evilrabbit

(snurched because one of my nutbar family members is all about wolves and another one is all about dragons...)(with apologies to surfcitydogdad)

Posts: 2397 | From: Texarkana, TX | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LyndaD
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LyndaD   E-mail LyndaD   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by vanilla:
quote:
Originally posted by LyndaD:

What the frick? Who puts scrambled eggs in their gravy? Wh.. wha.. Who puts eggs in gravy? [Eek!]
Apparently, DH's ex's parents. Our pastor's wife also does this. I had dry mashed taters at our Thanksgiving potluck. It just sounds...nasty. [Eek!]

--------------------
I'll drive it ugly. You can't see the paint job when you're behind the wheel, anyway.

Posts: 570 | From: Central Valley, California | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
christmas tree kitapper
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for christmas tree kitapper     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Stuffing.
Green bean casserole.
Gravy.

--------------------
"I have never in my life been more disappointed by a politician I voted for than I have been with George Bush. He is a total liberal."- overheard by me on the shuttle to the U of A game on Nov. 11th.

Posts: 3878 | From: Tucson, AZ | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
lioness
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lioness         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
stuffing
sweet potatoes with the marshmallows on top. It makes me gag just thinking of it
Jello-plain and those disgusting "salads"

I happen to like green bean casserole if it's made right, with lots of onions and seasonings.

Posts: 223 | From: Long Beach, CA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Island Manta
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Island Manta   E-mail Island Manta   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Spam & Cookies-mmm:
quote:
Originally posted by frogpond:

My big problem is the New Year's dinner. You are supposed to eat lots of collard greens so you'll have lots of green cash in the folowing year but I can't take collards, so I always ask for turnip greens! They apparently don't work because I've never had much cash come my way yet.

That's because you're supposed to be eating black eyed peas!

Sadly, the blackeyed pea has not kept pace with inflation. You're supposed to get a dollar for each pea you eat. That might have been terrific for folks during the Great Depression, but these days, it might buy you a couple of extra lunches throughout the year.

Well, the way we always played it was that collards were for $$ and black eyed peas were for luck. Since I have moved to the "3rd world" it's sort of hard to come by collards, but so far I've been able to find enough....except last year....guess that's why I'm broke. I drench them with sugar, and down them while they're still hot....and I hate 'em too. Gonna look for them this year, that's fer SURE.

There's not really a whole lot I don't like...but we started a 'new' Christmas tradition - no ham, turkey, etc....We grill steaks, bake potatoes & have salad [Big Grin] . I"m gonna do that this year, too....

--------------------
"You never know when you will be attacked by a wild tortilla" - José Zavala
"Happiness isn't happiness without a violin playing goat"
Be good and you will be lonesome

Posts: 3569 | From: USVI | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
PallasAthena
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PallasAthena     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Sweet Potatoes: With sugar and marshmallows, they are truly disgusting. On the other hand, try replacing all the sugary crap with a bit of olive oil, several cloves of garlic, thyme, red pepper flakes, and a good dusting with sea salt, roast and serve. it opened a whole new world up to me. Not-So-Sweet potatoes are now a favorite food, which is good because they are an incredibly healthy food.

Eggnog is horrible. The smell is enough to turn my stomach and the taste? *shudder*

I can choke down Turkey, but that doesn't mean I have to like it. In my house, we roast chickens, beef roasts, or grill steaks.

--------------------
"How do you make chocolate? You take dark chocolate, you mix it with white milk, and it becomes a delicious drink. That is the chocolate I am talking about." --Ray Nagin

Posts: 1325 | From: Missouri | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Syllavus

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Syllavus     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
People make sweet potatoes from a can?!? [Eek!] No wonder so many people have a dislike for sweet potatoes. I never even knew that you could get them in a can, but I'm sure it's horrifying. I've only ever had them fresh and roasted with a little bit of butter and brown sugar.

--------------------
"That would be really dangerous, you know. Indiscriminately extricating someone from the petrified corpse of a supernatural creature." - My Husband

Posts: 4308 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
nurple
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nurple   Author's Homepage   E-mail nurple   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by happyholidaysfrog:
The only holiday food I truly dislike is giblet gravy. Yuck and gag.

My mom makes giblet gravy. I'm the only one in the family who doesn't like it! I always call it Turkey Testicle Gravy. My brother always says, "Who knew testicles would taste so good?"

Blech.

--------------------
"You better respect the Rap or the Rap won't respect you." Ledatru

Posts: 1141 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
kizzcee007
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kizzcee007   E-mail kizzcee007   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I cant stand trifle...I know it's strictly a Christmas food but I can't bear it. Even the thought of it is making me feel ill!

Bread sauce....looks like it's been eaten once already, lol.

Posts: 156 | From: UK | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
RangerDog

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RangerDog   E-mail RangerDog   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Collards, smollards. The black-eye pea is the cat's pajamas. But not just any ol' bowl o' black-eye peas. For good luck throughout the year, y'all must eat Hoppin' John.

--------------------
Give a man a fish, and you'll feed him for a day; give him a religion, and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish

Posts: 2036 | From: Virginia | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ladyknight
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ladyknight     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Me too on the sweet potatoes/yams. Can't stand them, especially with marshmallows and/or brown sugar on the top. Even the smell to me is gross.

Also anything pumpkin. I don't like pumpkin pie, which is sad during the holidays, because it's usually the only desert offered most places. I miss Christmas with my mom's family; my aunt used to make pumpkin, blueberry and apple pies for dessert.

--------------------
Triumphs cannot be given. They must be taken, and the worse the odds, and the fiercer the resistance, the greater the honor. -- A Civil Campaign, Lois McMaster Bujold

Posts: 638 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
desertdweller

Icon 1 posted      Profile for desertdweller   E-mail desertdweller   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I am afraid that I won't be having any of the above any time soon. My wife does not cook any western/American style dinners. I grew up with my Mom, doing the sweet potato pie thing, green bean cassarole thing, et al. I have to admit, reading about it all tonight, there was not much that I would not turn down, it all made my hungry. My wife had never even had turkey until the Company CHristmas party this year and wondered what it was.

I am so hungry now, I am now going to throw my poo pot pongalee and ghao pot ghai in the microwave and now wait for supper time.

Merry Christmas to all.

--------------------
Just singin' in the Bahrain

Posts: 49 | From: Manama, Bahrain | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Donelin

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Donelin     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
For a long time I HATED Candied yams-now I love them. My Mom found a recipe that totally changed the taste for me. If you hate candied yams try adding pineapple and its juice to the mix and you might find you have a new fave.

--------------------
I have the body of a god--Sadly it is the Buddha

Posts: 35 | From: Central California | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Signora Del Drago

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Signora Del Drago     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
We're going to my son's for Christmas, and my grandchildren requested "regular" food. Yay! We're having BBQ brisket, potato salad and other things you usually have at the lake in the summer. Suits me fine. We can have a lot more fun if we aren't spending the whole day (and half the night before) cooking!

desertdweller, maybe you could cook dinner. Or, maybe your wife would be willing to learn to cook some of the foods you like.

RangerDog, Hoppin' John isn't just for New Year's dinner. Add a salad and it's a whole meal any time. Yummy. I don't put as much red pepper or hot sauce in mine, though, so maybe what I make isn't really hoppin'. [lol] When I was a youngster, there was always hog jowl in the black-eyed peas. My aunt still does that, but I never have used hog jowl. It looks gross, but I suppose it's really no different than bacon or other meat from a pig.

LyndaD, are you sure it was scrambled eggs? People in my family used to put a couple of chopped boiled eggs in the giblet gravy, but I've never seen scrambled eggs in gravy. Either one is bad enough. I just make plain gravy for the mashed potatoes, dressing, etc.

--------------------
"This air we're breathing. Oxygen, isn't it?"~I’mNotDedalus, impersonating Vincent D’Onofrio.|"Sometimes trying to communicate can be like walking through a minefield."~wanderwoman
"Give people a break. It's not easy doing a life."~Joshua Halberstam

Posts: 4020 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spamamander in a pear tree
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spamamander in a pear tree     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
For those who haven't had the "joy" of canned sweet potatoes, here's a link. Canned Evil You Can't see the product real well, but you should get the idea. What are called "yams" in the U.S. are almost always sweet potatoes, actual yams are a different tuber altogether. They are packed in syrup and can be mushed up. Egawds. There's a lot of recipes for sweet potato "casseroles" using these things. Now that I made my own fresh glazed ones I won't ever look at these things again!

--------------------
"There is a race between mankind and the universe. Mankind is trying to build bigger, better, faster, and more foolproof machines. The universe is trying to build bigger, better, and faster fools. So far the universe is winning." -Albert Einstein

Posts: 1058 | From: Yakima, WA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
desertdweller

Icon 1 posted      Profile for desertdweller   E-mail desertdweller   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Actually. I do cook for my wife the foods that I grew up with. But, after eating Thai for so long, heavy western food makes me lethargic and can upset my stomach. My wife has a tough time eating many western foods, especially anything with dairy or heavy with fat or oil. THe thread just brought back pleasant memories of holidays when I was a child. Thanks for the memories guys. Just give me a plate of green bean cassarole and a pile of dressing and gravy and I was happy.

--------------------
Just singin' in the Bahrain

Posts: 49 | From: Manama, Bahrain | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Zekaille
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zekaille     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've seen a lot of my favorites on the "hate list" and my least faves on the like list.

For the record;

I'm one of the few people that not only likes green bean casserole, I also adore the Pepperidge Farm Stuffing and Broccoli/Cauliflower casserole that is almost identical in texture. Adore cranberry sauce in the preformatted can shape. The real stuff with seeds in it rarely makes me smile. Thanksgiving is the only time of year I willingly eat hot turkey. Don't understand the draw of cold turkey and mashed potato sandwiches and never will. Have to leave the room when my family makes 'em. YECCCCHHHH. I'd love a crown roast even though the rest of the year I'm a "vergetarian" (Eat lots of non meat dinners, but haven't given up on it all together).

Please, I beg you, do not make me eat your: Mince Pies, anything you made with marshamallows (including s'mores and marshmallows straight out of the bag--ugh!), creme brulee, egg nog and, most of all (maybe it's just the area I live in) no flan. Please. No flan. If I'm going to eat cold and slimey overly sweet sweets I will stick with my beloved can shaped cranberry sauce. BUT NO FLAN!!!!

Heh--every year my friends and I attend a dinner-theater where courses are served between the acts of an original Christmas themed play. ("Original" in the sense that, a husband and wife team write the play every year and every year the basic plot is almost exactly the same: several disparate people get stuck somewhere while trying to get home for Christmas Eve and are forced to make do having Christmas with each other. One of them is always the SAME character --he's a musician-- and no matter where he gets snowed in, fortune smiles because there is ALWAYS a piano so he can accompany the cast while they sing.) But I digress.

The restaurant is known for two things at Christmas time: their fruit tarts served as dessert and the mulled cider they offer before the meal. THIS year some one new decided to shake things up and remove the mulled cider from the menu and replaced the fruit tart (which is fabulous) with eggnog flavored creme brulee. Given the number of complaints about the loss of the cider and the fact that almost all the desserts went back to the kitchen untouched, I think we will see cider and tart make a return next year. I hope. Because I couldn't eat that creme brulee. It was vile.

Ze "the wine was okay, but it wasn't mulled cider" Kaille

--------------------
"Oh, you're nothing but two ears and a hat!"--my (then) 4 year old niece, following an argument with her uncle

Posts: 100 | From: Bridgeport, CT | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ms Congeniality
Deck the Malls

Icon 604 posted      Profile for Ms Congeniality   E-mail Ms Congeniality   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Spamamander in a pear tree:
[QB] Eggnog is TEH EBIL. I've never even tried the stuff, but the smell wrenches my stomach into knots.

The old-fashioned holiday hard candy- the filled fruit things and ribbons and such. they never tasted like anything to me. Evil Sugary Things

75-year-old quality recipe made by expert candy makers
Melts smoothly without breaking into pieces
30 oz. in 10 delicious and delicate varieties
Hand packed in decorative tin

And the candy is 75 years old too! [Razz]

quote:

I admit to making a cool-whip salad. Mix powdered strawberry jello into a tub of cool whip, add marshmallows, chopped nuts, mandarin wedges (I substitute sliced frozen strawberries) and crushed pineapple. My mom does a pistachio pudding version with just marshmallows and walnuts mixed in.

This is what my mom made only she added coconut to it. I hated it.

--------------------
Queen of Confusion

Posts: 311 | From: Miami, FL | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages