snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » Rantidote » People who get mad when you don't let them cut you off

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: People who get mad when you don't let them cut you off
Hubert Cumberdale
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hubert Cumberdale   E-mail Hubert Cumberdale   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I can understand cutting someone off to some degree, you want to get ahead of them because they aren't going as fast as you'd like. I'm not saying I agree with it or do it myself but I understand the logic.
But when someone tries to cut you off and you, either on purpose or by not seeing the car creeping up on you in the breakdown lane that's going to end in 10 feet because you foolishly assumed no one would be in that lane, prevent them from cutting you off and they have the nerve to get angry at you, I just don't get it. How entitled do you have to feel to get mad because someone wouldn't let you get in front of them?

Posts: 835 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Daniceguy
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Daniceguy     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Aaaahh, but Hubert, we're talking about MASSACHUSETTS drivers, the ones who...

Consider using their turn signal as a sign of weakness.

Take the speed limit as a LOWER limit.

Consider the breakdown lane to be their "personal" car-pool lane.

Reserve the right to flip YOU off when THEY do something stupid!

Maybe we should merge this thread with the one about capital punishment...

--------------------
"Argument is an intellectual process. Contradiction is just the automatic gainsaying of any statement the other person makes!"

"No it isn't."

Posts: 171 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Monza305
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monza305   E-mail Monza305   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
What's worse than that is if that person manages to cut you off and get ahead of you, they then proceed to drive slower than you. I don't know how many times that's happen to me, & it pisses me off every time. If you are going to go thru the extra effort to cut me off & get ahead of me, at least try to drive faster than I was!

--------------------
I've got a pen in my pocket does that make me a writer?
Standing on the mountain doesn't make me no higher.
Putting on gloves don't make you a fighter.
And all the study in the world doesn't make it science. -Paul Weller

Posts: 199 | From: Kalamazoo, MI | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Seaboe Muffinchucker
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Seaboe Muffinchucker     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Last Thursday, during the commute from h*ll (19 miles at an average speed of 7 mph), I let someone in front of me because he desperately wanted in. He then proceded to cross the lane to my left and cut in front of a bus to get into the express lane.

Of course, to do this, he had to stop while he was in my lane, since he was apparently under the impression that you can't change lanes while you're moving.

I was delighted to see, when the express lane merged out of existence, that he ended up two cars behind me. All his hurry and bad driving having not benefitted him in the least.

Seaboe

--------------------
Education is not the filling of a hard drive, but the lighting of a bulb. -- Yeats via Esprise Me

Posts: 5562 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NZUL
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NZUL     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Argh, I hate that too Monza! Can't stand it when people use an overtaking lane to pass, then when the lanes merge again, they go slow.

I used to treat overtaking lanes as handy when I needed to pass someone slow, but otherwise just stay left (New Zealand). Now, it's overtake anything in front of me, because I know if I don't they'll go slow when the lanes merge again or something equally irritating.

--------------------
"We don't keep a certified whale-vomit expert on staff." - Larry Penny, Director, Natural Resources Department, Town of East Hampton

Posts: 377 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
franjava
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for franjava     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
While driving through a parking lot (up the lane between the parking aisles like I'm supposed to,) a man came barrelling ACROSS the lanes. I stopped and let the jerk cross in front of me with nary a gesture, then HE flipped ME the bird. Ass.

--------------------
Never eat anything given to you by a toddler.

Posts: 258 | From: Rochester, NY | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
erinker74
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for erinker74   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It's not just Massachusettes. I was once on the highway when a man in the merge lane cut me off so much so that I had to slam on my breaks (before anyone asks, the left lane was packed and there was no way I could get over to let him in). As I was still screeching my breaks, HE flipped ME the bird!

I don't get road rage much at all, but I was so upset! It was like he had set out to randomly harass someone that day and I was the lucky winner!

--------------------
"I bet a funny thing about driving a car off a cliff is, while you're in midair,
you still hit those brakes. Hey, better try the emergency brake." -Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey

Posts: 245 | From: Gladstone, MO | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Para
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Para     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Monza305:
What's worse than that is if that person manages to cut you off and get ahead of you, they then proceed to drive slower than you. I don't know how many times that's happen to me, & it pisses me off every time. If you are going to go thru the extra effort to cut me off & get ahead of me, at least try to drive faster than I was!

How about when they go to all the trouble of getting ahead of you just so that they can turn off almost immediately? You were in the correct lane for that in the first place, you witless NFBSK, was it really necessary to almost cause an accident by wheeling all the way around me so you'd get to your turn first?

--------------------
"But what of the golden spider-duck and the squat crimson pig?"

Posts: 425 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Paulie Jay
O Little Down-Payment of Bethlehem

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Paulie Jay     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yet if we were to run them off the road and have them killed WE would be the ones to go to jail. That's democracy for you...

(Thankyou, Mr Burns)

--------------------
All the way with Paulie Jay

Posts: 476 | From: Sydney, NSW, Australia | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
blucanary
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for blucanary   Author's Homepage   E-mail blucanary   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ok, but how about when you're merging onto a the highway with a very short merge lane and there is no one in the opposite lane and people get mad at you for trying to get into traffic when they could have easily moved left?

--------------------
I would add my signature but the pen won't write on the screen.

Posts: 458 | From: Maryland | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ASL
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ASL   E-mail ASL   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I REALLY can't stand is when you have two lanes of traffic and the guy in the left lane (the passing lane on major US roads and interstates) is going the same speed as the guy in the right lane and, worse yet, they're going below the speed limit. Now, the truck in the right lane going up a hill, ok, fine, but the jackoff in the left lane who just HAS to get dead even with the truck (which is a dangerous place to be) and STAY THERE. I kept hoping the trucker would decide to change lanes and not notice the guy sitting there and run his ass off the road. Eventually, the truck sped up and all dozen or so cars stacked up behind the little bastard were able to pass using the right lane.

--------------------
"Dear Lord, please protect this rockethouse and all who dwell within..."

Posts: 1093 | From: Japan | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages