snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » Rantidote » gifts: it's not about the money you spend... or is it?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: gifts: it's not about the money you spend... or is it?
Brillo Bee
Wii Three Kings

Icon 603 posted      Profile for Brillo Bee     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It’s that time of year again. Every year I start out thinking that it’s the thought that counts, and set out to buy thoughtful and meaningful gifts for my friends and family, but then the financial issues start creeping in… two examples of money-related holiday dilemmas that come up frequently for me are:

1) If you plan to buy Uncle Joe a great cookbook, and you’ve budgeted $30, but then find it on clearance for $2, do you buy him another gift, or consider yourself lucky? At first, I think it shouldn’t matter what I spend if I give the gift I wanted to give, but it also feels out of touch with the holiday spirit to essentially pocket the extra $28.

2) I have an aunt and uncle with two college-age sons with whom I exchange gifts every year. They typically buy me a sweater or a $25-50 gift card, which are great gifts. I know their taste in clothing, so I would tend to lean towards giving them sweaters, sports team-related clothing, or something like that. But for me to buy them each a gift would cost me at least $100, since I can’t think of any small gifts to get them. Maybe it shouldn’t be about the money, but their income is so much higher than mine I confess I would resent it if I spent more on them every year. It also bugs me to spend more on them than I do on my own parents (combined). I can’t quite figure out a good “family” gift, partially because they don’t even all live together most of the year. One year I did send them a basket with stuff for Christmas morning breakfast, but for some reason it feels wrong to me to buy gift baskets for family members. So every year it drives me crazy trying to figure out what to get them.

So, I’m sure I’m not the only one—what are your holiday shopping financial quandaries?

Bee

--------------------
People do not wish to appear foolish; to avoid the appearance of foolishness, they are willing to remain actually fools. -Alice Walker

Posts: 335 | From: Minnesota | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BeachLife
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BeachLife   Author's Homepage   E-mail BeachLife   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
1) That's a big difference in price. I'd say that a $2 book is still a $2 book, even if it was once marked as $30. Now if the book was on sale for $20 I'd feel differently, but at $2 you should buy at least something else.

2) You seriously can't think of anything to buy them for less than $50 each? I find that very hard to believe. Maybe you need to delve into their interests a bit more.

Beach...If you're going to resent it, please don't give it...Life!

--------------------
Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone.
Jack Dragon, On Being a Dragon
Confessions of a Dragon's scribe
Diary of my Heart Surgery

Posts: 12094 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Buckleupp
Away in a Manager

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Buckleupp   E-mail Buckleupp   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
1) Yes, you're lucky. If it's the same book, go for it! If you still have some hesitation about it, donate the 28 to a charity.

2) Buy the family a game. They'll be together once in a while, on holidays, and can enjoy it together.

--------------------
HA! That's so funny I forgot to laugh...excluding that first Ha. -Stewie Griffin

Posts: 112 | From: Albuquerque, NM | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ChelleGame
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ChelleGame   E-mail ChelleGame   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
1. Your uncle will like the book just as much no matter how much you paid, so if it's the right book, pay the $2.00 and move on.

2. Well, you can apply the "saved" $28.00. I'm sure they don't want you to overextend yourself.

--------------------
Michelle

Posts: 953 | From: Ely, Minnesota | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Morgaine La Raq Star
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Morgaine La Raq Star   E-mail Morgaine La Raq Star   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
1) I usually budget $10 for nieces & nephews & my goal is to get a book or two & an item of clothing (usually a shirt) for that $10. This Christmas I've spent between $5 & $8* on my nephews for their gifts. I feel no need to go above & beyond just so everythings 'equal'. They're all getting the same thing, I just got better deals on some than others. Some years nephew #1 costs a bit more & some years nephew #3 costs a bit more but I figure it all evens out in the end.

2) I like the idea of a game. You could add some popcorn & candy if you'd like. Or you could do a movie basket with a Blockbuster card, packages of candy, microwave popcorn, etc. I've had to create gift baskets before at my old job & our movie basket was always a huge moneymaker. People just seemed to love it.

*For those who are wondering how I could get a shirt & a book or two for $5, I bought the shirt at Old Navy in January for $4 plus an extra 20% off. The books come from a Scholastic Warehouse sale where I filled a box for $20 so I estimate my actual cost of these books at .25 each (I really, really stuffed the box!!). This puts me slightly under $5 for the gifts.

--------------------
I cannot live without books-Thomas Jefferson *~* A child educated only at school is an uneducated child - George Santayana
I'm going to pummel you with such zeal, Buddha will explode! *~* Never miss a good chance to shut up - Will Rogers

Posts: 6585 | From: Dallas/Fort Worth, TX | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TurquoiseGirl
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TurquoiseGirl   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I had a coupon for 25% off at Borders and was able to get four gifts for cheaper. Since it was exactly what people wanted, I didn't mind.

The second part, I understand. The gifts you feel obligated to buy are so much less fun than the ones you truly want to give.

How about gift certificates for the cousins?

--------------------
There are people who drive really nice cars who feel that [those] cars won't be as special if other people drive them too. Where I come from, we call those people "selfish self-satisfied gits." -Chloe

Posts: 6995 | From: New Mexico | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Starla
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Starla     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
1) If Uncle Joe is a stand-alone guy, then buy him something else. You're also buying for Aunt Jane, then consider yourself lucky with Uncle Joe. Otherwise you'll have to buy Aunt Jane two things as well, and then you've blown your budget.

2) If the college-age sons do not personally exchange gifts with you, stop buying them gifts. Just give their parents something. IMO, the sons are adults now, and there is no need to buy each of them a present if they don't each buy you one, especially if it is not in your budget.

I have some gift quandaries too. Mine is more like, I gave Friend X a present last year, but she didn't give me one. I'm pretty sure we've decided that we're all grown-ups on limited budgets so we're just going to exchange cards from now on and that's great. Then, Friend X sends me a present this year. Do I send one back? Or is gift-giving really just about doing something nice without expectations of reciprocation? After all, I don't care that she didn't reciprocate last year, but will she see it that way? What would I give her? And it goes on...

Or, I got something small for Starlet's teacher and I plan on sewing her some items for the classroom during the Christmas break. Today Teacher gave me a nice present as thanks for tutoring. The present she gave me is better than the one I planned on giving her tomorrow. Should I buy her something better? What? Should I spend my birthday trying to sew her wish list items now so I can give them tomorrow? Or should I just stop obsessing?

I totally understand the quandry thing!

--------------------
This used to be the life, but I don't need another one.
MyBandwagon

Posts: 3254 | From: small town Texas | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LongTallBlonde
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LongTallBlonde     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
If you find a cookbook on sale with that much markdown and you are feeling guilty, why not take 1/2 of the savings and buy some kitchen gadget. What cooks doesn't appreciate a new gadget once in a while.

If the Aunt & Uncle live apart for times throughout the year, what about a statioanry set and some stamps? Or phone cards, if they don't do letters.

To me, it is the thought and the practicallity of the gift, not the price. I would rather get a $5.00 gift that I can use than a $50.00 one that will end up at a garage sale.

--------------------
A woman needs a man like fish needs a bicycle....People don't care how much you know, but they know how much you care.

Posts: 50 | From: Huntsville, AL | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
DD was stuck on an inexpensive gift for her dad and stepmom this year. Everything we thought of was more for one of them than for the other, and there wasn't room in DD's gift-giving budget for two gifts, especially with shipping.

So she made a donation to Heifer International in their names. Best $20 gift ever: some family will get a flock of chicks.

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Morgaine La Raq Star
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Morgaine La Raq Star   E-mail Morgaine La Raq Star   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Starla:

On the teacher thing, stop obsessing. Just do the sewing over the break & give it. Your sewing is part of your gift even if you're not giving it to her tomorrow.
I had a parent come in Wednesday & say 'I ran out of supplies so I can't give you your gift until January. I'm so sorry!!' I honestly didn't care. Its like a bonus present. Just when you think you've opened everything, here's a little something extra!!

--------------------
I cannot live without books-Thomas Jefferson *~* A child educated only at school is an uneducated child - George Santayana
I'm going to pummel you with such zeal, Buddha will explode! *~* Never miss a good chance to shut up - Will Rogers

Posts: 6585 | From: Dallas/Fort Worth, TX | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brillo Bee
Wii Three Kings

Icon 603 posted      Profile for Brillo Bee     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
regarding #2) Beachlife, I know I shouldn't resent it, and I don't resent the family, just the situation. Maybe the whole dilemma is simply caused by me being a horribly selfish person. But I also think you misread the post-- there are 4 of them, not 2. To spend less than $25 per person, I'd feel like I wasn't giving gifts at the same level of their gifts to me, but to give gifts at the same level, I'm spending significantly more than they do. I'd love to spend it if I could, but $100 is a very large portion of my Christmas budget, and I'm just not that close to this family. And you're right, it would be easier to shop for them if I knew them better, but I see them exactly once a year for about 4 hours over a chaotic family Christmas brunch.

regarding #1) I normally do buy something else when situations like this come up, and I certainly don't object to it. It's kind of fun to give more gifts than you thought you could. But at the same time, it seems inconsistent to worry that I spent less than I could afford in this case, when in situation #2, I'm "supposed to" not worry that I am spending more than I can afford. Is the Christmas spirit really all about spending as much as or more than you can afford?

Anyway, I appreciate the suggestions-- I'll have to add a family game to the list of annual gift ideas I cycle through for them.

Bee

ETD: Sentence that made no sense considering all the posts that poppped up while I was typing.

--------------------
People do not wish to appear foolish; to avoid the appearance of foolishness, they are willing to remain actually fools. -Alice Walker

Posts: 335 | From: Minnesota | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TurquoiseGirl
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TurquoiseGirl   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Brillo, just for the record, you are not selfish. You are on a budget.

The other thing that might work as a good family gift is food. Like flavored popcorn or something. We loved it when we were teenagers and college students and someone gave us that!

--------------------
There are people who drive really nice cars who feel that [those] cars won't be as special if other people drive them too. Where I come from, we call those people "selfish self-satisfied gits." -Chloe

Posts: 6995 | From: New Mexico | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cervus

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cervus   E-mail Cervus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
No one should ever feel obligated to spend $X amount of money on a gift. Nor should one feel obligated to give a gift at all.

That being said...

1) Of course, take advantage of the great deal. If you're on a budget and really need the remaining money for yourself, don't feel guilty for keeping it. If you can afford to buy an additional gift for him, go ahead and do so, but you should never give gifts that will put a financial strain on you.

2)
quote:
To spend less than $25 per person, I'd feel like I wasn't giving gifts at the same level of their gifts to me, but to give gifts at the same level, I'm spending significantly more than they do. I'd love to spend it if I could, but $100 is a very large portion of my Christmas budget, and I'm just not that close to this family. And you're right, it would be easier to shop for them if I knew them better, but I see them exactly once a year for about 4 hours over a chaotic family Christmas brunch.
Personally, I don't give gifts to people I don't know well. I don't care if they're related to me - if we only see each other one day a year, there's no reason either of us should give the other a gift. It seems silly to spend money you can't afford on a family you don't know well.

However, if you choose to exchange gifts, you shouldn't feel obligated to give them something that costs $X amount of money. You don't have to give someone a gift of the same "level" as the one they gave you, especially if you're on a budget.

Gift giving should never be about the amount spent and should never feel like an obligation.

--------------------
"There is no constitutional right to sleep with endangered reptiles." -- Carl Hiaasen
Won't somebody please think of the adults!

Posts: 8254 | From: Florida | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jenn
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jenn   E-mail Jenn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brillo Bee:
1) If you plan to buy Uncle Joe a great cookbook, and you’ve budgeted $30, but then find it on clearance for $2, do you buy him another gift, or consider yourself lucky? At first, I think it shouldn’t matter what I spend if I give the gift I wanted to give, but it also feels out of touch with the holiday spirit to essentially pocket the extra $28.

I think it depends largely on whether I budgeted first or decided on the gift first.

If it was a case of "I'm going to buy Uncle Joe this book and it should cost $30, so I will earmark that money" then I wouldn't worry too much if the book was found at a significant discount. I'm not going to struggle to come up with ideas for the remainder of the money because I got him the gift I intended. I would likely take the remainder from the discount and add it to my Santas Anonymous charity budget, which I feel I can never spend enough on.

Now, if I had said "I have $30 I can spend on Uncle Joe and I've settled upon this one book for him even though there are other things I'd like to get him" I would probably be very happy about the discount since it would allow me to buy more for Uncle Joe and stay within my budget.

--------------------
"You're the opposite of troll. It's a compliment!"

Posts: 12086 | From: Alberta | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NZUL
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NZUL     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
1 - For me it would depend on whether the discount was a rarity or the book was now 'obviously' a bargain-table book. I guess I wouldn't mind if I gave someone something they wanted and could use if it happened to be cheap, but I don't want to be seen to be giving things that are, of themselves, "cheap".

2 - So they spend $25-50 between four of them? Do like someone said, buy one 'family' gift for all of them. Do not buy individually - they don't for you. If really hard pressed, how about lottery tickets, boxes of cookies, etc?

My holiday spending dilemma is usually this: I like thing X for friend Sally. But thing X is my total budget for Sally. And thing X is very small (maybe earrings or something). It's a very small box and appears distinctly unimpressive amongst big box gifts. It's more valuable, but it just looks 'small'. So I do I buy something to pad the physical dimensions of the gift out or do I just leave it with small box X? Just to make it worse, Sally usually buys small items G, H, J, L, M, N and P for me, so I have lots of little presents to open from her, of varying values. If you pile the gifts up, I have this large pile of stuff with boxes everywhere, and she has this one small box. I feel like a right pratt, even though we've probably spent about the same.

--------------------
"We don't keep a certified whale-vomit expert on staff." - Larry Penny, Director, Natural Resources Department, Town of East Hampton

Posts: 377 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ica171
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ica171   E-mail ica171   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
1. I agree with NZUL on this. If it's a fluke that you found this book for $2 then go with it. If it's in the bargain bin, buy something else.

2. I'd go with a family gift, too. One year we got the IL a DVD player and 3 or 4 DVDs. All inexpensive, probably about $60 total since we got everything on sale, but they loved it.

My holiday spending dilemma is that I am very craft-oriented, but there are certain members of my family that don't see the 20 hours I spent making something as "money." They only see that I spent $10 on materials and made something that, were you to buy it in the store could cost $100. However, since I didn't buy it for $100 it doesn't count as a good gift. I'm also one that would rather have a $5 gift that I can use--and that you put some thought into--rather than a $50 gift that you just picked because you had to buy me something.

Posts: 384 | From: Iowa | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
nurple
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nurple   Author's Homepage   E-mail nurple   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Brillo Bee, whatever you decide to do, just don't be like my brother-in-law and leave the $2 price tag on the gift when you give it.

--------------------
"You better respect the Rap or the Rap won't respect you." Ledatru

Posts: 1141 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brillo Bee
Wii Three Kings

Icon 604 posted      Profile for Brillo Bee     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Starla, I feel your pain! I have one friend that I really should call some November and say, "I'm on a tight budget and I know you are, too-- let's just go have dinner or coffee together instead of exchanging gifts." But I keep forgetting to do this until it's too late. Instead, we have this inconsistent gift giving thing where some years one buys a gift and the other doesn't and it goes back and forth. I've taken to carrying wrapped generic gifts around in my car when I go back home so I can pull one out if I get an unexpected gift. "Oh, whoops! I left your present in the car!" But the generic gift takes all the fun out of gift-giving for me, so I end up not actually feeling better. I really should just say something.

I have some friends now with whom I haven't ever exchanged holiday gifts, and this is fine with me; we always spend time together celebrating holidays and special events which is more important to me than gifts anyway. But a week ago I found the perfect gift for them. Nothing expensive or fancy-- if I had found it in March, I would've just bought it for them without a second thought. But since it was so close to Christmas, I worried that giving it to them would make them feel obliged to buy me a gift and suck us in to this endless cycle of obligatory gift-giving. In the end, I just gave it to them, unwrapped, and just hoped they wouldn't feel any pressure.

I think I need to break out of some of the ingrained habits and attitudes I have about Christmas, but it's a tough time of year for things like that.

Bee

--------------------

LeaflessMapleTree
The twelve shopping days 'til Christmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LeaflessMapleTree   E-mail LeaflessMapleTree   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
As for #1, think of the roles being reversed:

You've wanted this cookbook for ages. It's got all these delicious recipes you want to try out, and you're going to wow all of your future guests with mouthwatering cheesecake and pasta salads. And someone gets it for you as a gift.

Do you care what they paid for it? You really wanted this book. Now you have it. Yay! You didn't want $30 as a present. You wanted this book. Even if someone who worked at the publishing company got you the book for free, you'd probably still be happy with the gift - not resentful that more money wasn't spent on you.

The gift is still worth $30, even if it didn't cost you that much to give it.

--------------------
"For me, religion is like a rhinoceros: I don't have one, and I'd really prefer not to be trampled by yours. But it is impressive, and even beautiful, and, to be honest, the world would be slightly worse off if there weren't any."
-Silas Sparkhammer

Posts: 3239 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LeaflessMapleTree
The twelve shopping days 'til Christmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LeaflessMapleTree   E-mail LeaflessMapleTree   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
As for #1, think of the roles being reversed:

You've wanted this cookbook for ages. It's got all these delicious recipes you want to try out, and you're going to wow all of your future guests with mouthwatering cheesecake and pasta salads. And someone gets it for you as a gift.

Do you care what they paid for it? You really wanted this book. Now you have it. Yay! You didn't want $30 as a present. You wanted this book. Even if someone who worked at the publishing company got you the book for free, you'd probably still be happy with the gift - not resentful that more money wasn't spent on you.

The gift is still worth $30, even if it didn't cost you that much to give it.

--------------------
"For me, religion is like a rhinoceros: I don't have one, and I'd really prefer not to be trampled by yours. But it is impressive, and even beautiful, and, to be honest, the world would be slightly worse off if there weren't any."
-Silas Sparkhammer

Posts: 3239 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Just Me
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Just Me     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Exactly LeaflessMapleTree - I agree 100%. I won a free $25 gift card which I used as a Christmas gift. I go by what the gift is worth... in this case, it's still worth $25 altho it cost me nothing.

--------------------
"Invention, my dear friends, is 93% perspiration, 6% electricity, 4% evaporation, and 2% butterscotch ripple." - Willy Wonka

Posts: 388 | From: Michigan | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BlushingBride

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlushingBride     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Bah! Gift fretting!

My parents are having some kind of spending war. My Mom bought my Dad a new home theater system for his birthday a month ago. It was pretty expensive, so he told her not to buy him Christmas presents. And he bought her a laptop of her very own so that they each had a pricey gift. Mom decides that Dad should still have presents from her, so she buys him lots of nice smaller gifts. Then my Mom called me to ask how much my Dad spent on her so she could reciprocate. I refused to tell her. Eventually, I concede that he probably spent more than $50 (I know--my bad). She decided that she would buy Dad one more gift in order to even things out. I tell Dad about Mom calling, expecting him to chuckle and say "Oh, your zany Mom!" Nope. He gets upset that she bought him gifts at all, and in a fit of apparent annoyance that things are uneven, goes out and buys her a new game to play on her laptop. I have now vowed not to speak to either of them until Friday, because I don't want to accidentally add more fuel to this fire.

They keep trying to one-up each other. It's really bizarre and out of character for them. They're really freaking out about this Christmas in strange ways, and I don't get it at all.

--------------------
"In perfume, as in underwear, the scantiest of applications provides the greatest of returns." -Silas Sparkhammer

Posts: 858 | From: Arlington, Texas | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
callee

Icon 1 posted      Profile for callee         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think Jenn has totally nailed it right on. These objects we are buying and selling, they do not have any objective value. It's not like they necessarily are worth X number of dollars. I can't agree with what it sounds like Beach is saying when he says "now it's a $2 book..." no, now it's the same book it has always been, and you happen to have found a seller who, personally, only attributed $2 of value to it. The seller's attribution of value matters at only one time and for only one thing: when you're handing over cash to him.

So if you decided that this particular book was a great gift for uncle, then the seller reducing the cost does not in any way undermine that. I'd say buy the book and consider your uncle shopping all completed.

A friend of mine had this issue just the other day. The hardware store had these work stands on sale. The regular list price was $40. This store sells them for half price every few months, $20. On this special weekend sale, however, the stands were droped another 25%, selling for only $9! My friend had a few people who could really use one of those stands, and so he wanted to go buy a couple as christmas presents. The question was whether the stand alone was not "enough" to constitute a present. A $40 item would be good enough, but is a $9 item? I told him he was being ridiculous: it's still the same work stand. We can't equate value with cost, but even if we do, all stores inflate the cost, often by more than %100, before listing it for sale. Why should we take that arbitrary inflation as a basis for value? And if their arbitrary inflation is meaningless,why would the arbitrary deflation of a sale be any more meaningful?

--------------------
a moment for old friends now estranged, victims of the flux of alliances and changing perceptions. There was something there once, and that something is worth honoring as well. - John Carroll

Posts: 3375 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jenn
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jenn   E-mail Jenn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by callee:
I think Jenn has totally nailed it right on.

Aw, I knew one day we'd find something to agree upon! [Big Grin]

--------------------
"You're the opposite of troll. It's a compliment!"

Posts: 12086 | From: Alberta | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
callee

Icon 1 posted      Profile for callee         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jenn:
quote:
I think Jenn has totally nailed it right on.

Aw, I knew one day we'd find something to agree upon! [Big Grin]
well, like my granpappy always said... even a broken clock is right twice a day... [Razz]

--------------------
a moment for old friends now estranged, victims of the flux of alliances and changing perceptions. There was something there once, and that something is worth honoring as well. - John Carroll

Posts: 3375 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cervus

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cervus   E-mail Cervus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
A friend of mine had this issue just the other day. The hardware store had these work stands on sale. The regular list price was $40. This store sells them for half price every few months, $20. On this special weekend sale, however, the stands were droped another 25%, selling for only $9! My friend had a few people who could really use one of those stands, and so he wanted to go buy a couple as christmas presents. The question was whether the stand alone was not "enough" to constitute a present. A $40 item would be good enough, but is a $9 item? I told him he was being ridiculous: it's still the same work stand.

I don't get it either; it's still the same item, regardless of what the store's price tag says.

--------------------
"There is no constitutional right to sleep with endangered reptiles." -- Carl Hiaasen
Won't somebody please think of the adults!

Posts: 8254 | From: Florida | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nonny Mouse, on Santa's laptop
Once in Royal Circuit City

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nonny Mouse, on Santa's laptop   Author's Homepage   E-mail Nonny Mouse, on Santa's laptop   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LongTallBlonde:
If you find a cookbook on sale with that much markdown and you are feeling guilty, why not take 1/2 of the savings and buy some kitchen gadget. What cooks doesn't appreciate a new gadget once in a while.

Or a grocery store gift card so he can buy the ingredients for the recipes in the cookbook. I think that's one of the better uses of gift cards, as an adjunct to a related gift.

Nonny

--------------------
When there isn't anything else worth analyzing, we examine our collective navel. I found thirty-six cents in change in mine the other day. Let no one say that there is no profit in philosophy. -- Silas Sparkhammer

Posts: 10141 | From: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Four Kitties
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 503 posted      Profile for Four Kitties   E-mail Four Kitties   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cervus:
quote:
A friend of mine had this issue just the other day. The hardware store had these work stands on sale. The regular list price was $40. This store sells them for half price every few months, $20. On this special weekend sale, however, the stands were droped another 25%, selling for only $9! My friend had a few people who could really use one of those stands, and so he wanted to go buy a couple as christmas presents. The question was whether the stand alone was not "enough" to constitute a present. A $40 item would be good enough, but is a $9 item? I told him he was being ridiculous: it's still the same work stand.

I don't get it either; it's still the same item, regardless of what the store's price tag says.
My mother took the Kitten shopping for her birthday. She wanted a toy that cost $65 at ToysREvil -- YaYa said no, but she could ask Santa. She then came to my house, found the toy on Amazon for $25, and ordered it -- it will be under the tree, from Santa, on Christmas morning.

Same toy. The Kitten will be thrilled. It absolutely does not matter if YaYa paid full price or not.

Gifts are not about price -- they're about the thought that goes into selecting just the right thing for a person.

Four Kitties

--------------------
If swimming is so good for your figure, how do you explain whales?

Posts: 13275 | From: Kindergarten World, Massachusetts | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Planned Chaos
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 220 posted      Profile for Planned Chaos     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Slight hijack...

quote:
Originally posted by Lainie:
DD was stuck on an inexpensive gift for her dad and stepmom this year. Everything we thought of was more for one of them than for the other, and there wasn't room in DD's gift-giving budget for two gifts, especially with shipping.

So she made a donation to Heifer International in their names. Best $20 gift ever: some family will get a flock of chicks.

As a stepmom I would like to express how wonderful I think it is that you condone and facilitate your DD's relationship with her SM.

--------------------
Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple.

Posts: 123 | From: Minneapolis, MN | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
kitoboo
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kitoboo   E-mail kitoboo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
One summer I was given a box of new cookbooks. One of them was a very nice one for outdoor grilling. I decided to give it to my niece and her husband for Christmas. They loved it.

It doesn't bother me that I didn't pay any money for it. It was a much nicer gift than I would have been able to afford for them that year.

-kitoboo

Posts: 399 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dear Babby
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dear Babby     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I would be thrilled to know that someone got a good bargain while getting me something I could really use. I think most of my friends would agree. We look out for each other's bugets!
Posts: 326 | From: Hawaii | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Morgaine La Raq Star
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 220 posted      Profile for Morgaine La Raq Star   E-mail Morgaine La Raq Star   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Four Kitties:
Gifts are not about price -- they're about the thought that goes into selecting just the right thing for a person.

Four Kitties

I've just started to figure this out. I bought a cross for my MIL for 90% off over the summer (ended up being about $2) & I've about decided that since we're paying for their cell phone for another year, the cross will be more than enough for Mothers Day. Its a nice cross, she'll like it & she'll think I spent a lot more on it than I did.
I use to think I *had* to spend my amount no matter what but we're trying to budget & spend better this next year so my feeling now is, if I want to give you a DVD that costs $18 & I can find it for $10, I'm not looking for anything for $8 to make it up. You're going to have to be happy with the movie.

--------------------

KDS
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KDS     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I would be thrilled to know that someone got a good bargain while getting me something I could really use. I think most of my friends would agree. We look out for each other's bugets!

Count me in this category! When my SO brought home a shiny new computer mouse* for my birthday I was delighted - he’d managed to get exactly the one I had in mind. I knew how much that particular model cost since I’d been looking around online for it (which is also how he probably knew to get that one), and I felt kind of bad that he’d spent so much on me. Being that SO knows how I am, after I hooked it up and was happily clicking away in my game he mentioned that he’d found it on sale for less than half the normal price. It made the gift even better for me to know that he wasn’t going to have to cut back on lunch or dessert or something because of the gift.

*It was something that I really wanted and sort of needed, as my old one was starting to die and was impacting my ability to play World of Warcraft. Why yes, I am a geek!

--------------------
I dunno, I like the same qualities in a man as I want in a dog. Big, happy, friendly, and hairy. Not too much slobber either. ~Sue Bee

Posts: 140 | From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ange84

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ange84   E-mail ange84   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I went shopping and got my friends a candle holder thing which looks pretty cool, orginally $20 each, now down to $5 and some costumey jewlerry, twoitems each, each item orginally between $10 and $20, maybe a little more, no item cost more than $5 on sale. Do i feel bad, no, because that is now money i can use to buy a drink or two or buy lunch when we go out to catch up whilei am home.

quote:
It was something that I really wanted and sort of needed, as my old one was starting to die and was impacting my ability to play World of Warcraft. Why yes, I am a geek!

The fiance is getting the LG G15 keyboard for that exact reason. I searched around and found it $40 cheaper at one store. He got angry because i didn't go see him or his boss to get it with staff discount though and save even more.

--------------------
Love is a sudden revelation: a kiss is always a discovery

Posts: 902 | From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nonny Mouse, on Santa's laptop
Once in Royal Circuit City

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nonny Mouse, on Santa's laptop   Author's Homepage   E-mail Nonny Mouse, on Santa's laptop   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think the suitability of the gift to the recipient is the most important factor. If I stumble across something that's the absolutely perfect gift for someone, I'll buy it, whether it costs the amount I've budgeted or not. Sometimes it will be a really good deal. (I've given books I got free at conventions and conferences as gifts--if I know someone who'll enjoy the book a hell of a lot more than I will, why not?) Other times, it will cost more than I'd really intended to spend. (Really elaborate pop-up books of The Wizard of Oz and Alice in Wonderland for my girls, with abridged versions of the original language text and based on the original artwork, for almost $50 a pop one year comes to mind. It was worth every penny just to see the way their eyes lit up when they opened them, and they remain the girls' favorite gifts I bought them ever.)

I guess my point is that a budget is a guideline, not an etched-in-stone thing. What's important is that everybody on your list gets a gift they'll like, and that when the dust settles you haven't broken the bank, not that each person's gift costs a specific percentage of your total gifting budget.

Nonny

--------------------
When there isn't anything else worth analyzing, we examine our collective navel. I found thirty-six cents in change in mine the other day. Let no one say that there is no profit in philosophy. -- Silas Sparkhammer

Posts: 10141 | From: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages