snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » Rantidote » Why can't you finish what you start? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Why can't you finish what you start?
guruwan2b
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for guruwan2b   Author's Homepage   E-mail guruwan2b   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The problem with projects at our house is the house was built by drunken weasels. Nothing is square, plumb, or level. Want to hang a new door. No problem... until you get started and you end up having to cut 1/2" off one side of the door and 3/4" off the other side.... Then you have to move the hinges.....
It's not the project that is the problem most of the time.... It's the ghosts of the drunken weasels.

--------------------
Too much of this navel gazing and we'll disappear up our own arses.
Danvers Carew

Posts: 7465 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LolaRennt
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LolaRennt   E-mail LolaRennt   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The boyfriend swears he has a system for handling his mail. After over 5 years of dating, I've figured out that the "system" is for him to bring the mail inside, create piles of the stuff in his kitchen (he puts it on the counters, on the stove, anywhere that there's a flat surface) and moves the piles when he's hungry and wants to cook. When he does eventually start going through the mail, he usually wanders off and starts something midway through the sorting process. His whole "system" takes him about 3 months for just one day's worth of mail.

I'm so tempted to just knock all of it on the floor and let the dog chew it. Either that or just turn on the stove and let it burn. The mail on the stove thing drives me nuts. This, by the way, is a man who claims that he is a fanatic about having good kitchen habits and a sanitary kitchen. Just how sanitary is it to throw your mail on the counters and stove?

Oh he doesn't actually get rid of all of the mail either. There are piles and piles and piles of magazines and catalogues. He has a plastic chair that is probably on the verge of collapsing some day.

Really, how long is it necessary to keep a Maxim magazine?

LR

Posts: 780 | From: Dallas, TX | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Pondicherry Pi
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pondicherry Pi   Author's Homepage   E-mail Pondicherry Pi   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by guruwan2b:
The problem with projects at our house is the house was built by drunken weasels. Nothing is square, plumb, or level. Want to hang a new door. No problem... until you get started and you end up having to cut 1/2" off one side of the door and 3/4" off the other side.... Then you have to move the hinges.....
It's not the project that is the problem most of the time.... It's the ghosts of the drunken weasels.

Do we live in the same house? [Wink]

Actually, in defense of whoever built the house, that is just fine. It's everyone that the previous owner had in to "fix" things that appears to be the problem.

As for starting things and not finishing them? That's actually my territory and not my DH's.

--------------------
If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

What the NFBSK is Glurge? Or, a link to Snopes Lingo

Posts: 218 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
quiltsbypam
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for quiltsbypam   E-mail quiltsbypam   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by guruwan2b:

The biggest problem in my house, as I understand it, was that it wasn't all built at the same time. Supposedly, the living room used to be the office for a rock quarry. Looking in the cellar, I can believe it did used to be a rock quarry. Next (maybe) is the room that is now the kitchen, although it used to be two rooms. Possibly. Then, the bedrooms, which were (I'm told) offices for the quarry because the married couple running it split up, refused to give up their jobs and needed separate rooms. At some point, the entrance on the side was boarded up and kitchen cabinets were put in, leaving the house with an outside closet where the door was. There's also a porch, a bathroom and a garage, but I have no idea when they were added.

So when each room was added, apparently the weasels just used whatever was handy and worked as fast as their little stubby legs would work. 90 degree angles do not exist here. It's like living in Hill House, minus the ghost.

--------------------
"No Biblical hell could ever be worse than the state of perpetual inconsequence." Beatrice in Dangerous Beauty

Posts: 1816 | From: Cayuga County, NY | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Arrow-Tech IV
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arrow-Tech IV   E-mail Arrow-Tech IV   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LolaRennt:
Really, how long is it necessary to keep a Maxim magazine?

Um.... You may not want to ask that question, depending on who's the almost-naked girl on the cover and what he's using it for....

Loved your rant BTW. Sorry about the piles o' mail. That's how some hoarders get started, unfortunately.

Posts: 955 | From: Dallas, TX | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
guruwan2b
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for guruwan2b   Author's Homepage   E-mail guruwan2b   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Wow. There are drunken weasels in NY and TN, too?

My house was originally a 3 room shotgun house. Then another 3 room house was added, then the laundry room and front room. None of these additions are level. So I guess I have a split-level house.... A 2" drop between the front room and the dining room. Another 2" drop between the kitchen and the laundry room.

Oh and at some point in the 1940's there must have been a really big sale on 4" nails. Every thing is put up using these nails... cabinets, shelves.... trim.... Do you really need a 4" nail to tack up a quarter round? I think the panelling is also put up with these....

--------------------
Too much of this navel gazing and we'll disappear up our own arses.
Danvers Carew

Posts: 7465 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
smackmac
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for smackmac     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Our 4 room house was built from old barn boards. When the plaster/drywall was removed from the living room walls, we found super long boards with widths up to 18 inches. It was very interesting pulling out the old newspaper that was stuffed in the cracks and reading about how life was in 1915 and how everyone was rushing to see "The Birth of a Nation."

Of course, nothing was repaired properly. And the moron who sold us the house, who was a painter, painted the whole house with oil based paint over latex that was laid down by the previous tenants. Gee, I had lots of fun peeling the paint off our walls.

--------------------
"Maybe getting in the last word doesn't really mean you win." - The Clarks

Posts: 486 | From: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
smackmac
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 606 posted      Profile for smackmac     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
So on December 26, DH decided that we would be putting his late uncle's furniture in our bedroom. We've needed more space for a while now, and this will keep both of our clothes from being crammed in drawers or left in baskets.

Since it was a good time for it, he decided to rip up the old nasty carpet. Which I had to finish because his mother needed him for whatever. By the time I was done, it was nearly 11:00, I was exhausted, our bed was a mess and I had to get up for work the next day. Most of our furniture was placed up against one wall (the rest in the boys' room) and the bed was pushed to the other side. After I remade the bed, got a shower, I collapsed into bed.

The next morning, I asked if he thought he would be close to finished that day, since I was having trouble getting to my clothes in the dresser. It was a stupid question, I know. When I came home from work, he had repaired a hole in the floor (it had been there for about 8 years, since he ripped out a non-functional chimney) and put a piece of chipboard on the side of his closet. Furniture still crammed against one side of the room, messy, dust covered bed (again) on the other side. He informed me that he didn't like the bed where it was and wanted to put it back to where we had it, but needed to put in new electrical outlets since the one on the wall opposite the bed would not be enough. We were planning to put my computer there, but now the TV would have to be mounted up above my head (let's hope another tree doesn't fall on the house again) plus that's where the window AC unit is. He spent last night running wire through the attic so he could put in not one, but two new electrical outlets on that side of the room. So another night of stripping the bed and remaking it, just so I could get to sleep.

Today, he decides he's going to his mother's new house to finish drywalling her kitchen (which didn't even need to be redone, but that's another rant). "What about our room?" "Well, I'll get to it." NFBSK! Everything turns into a freaking project and I'm just sick of it. I have a new printer & mouse I can't even test because I refuse to set up the computer if he's still going to be working in there. DS#1 can't get to his clothes, because our furniture is in front of it. Thank DOYC that I had a basket of laundry in the basement that hadn't made it upstairs yet or he'd be in his jammies for three days (or however long it takes DH to finish his latest project). Of course, since our kitchen is taken up by the "new" furniture, I can't get to the stove. Guess we eat out for a while.

It's my own fault, because I know how he is. Everything has to be just so (I do believe he has a touch of obsessive/compulsive disorder) so something that might take someone else an hour will probably take him double. The only good thing about that is that when he does it, it's always done right.

Of course, that doesn't help me tonight when I want to check snopes and can't.

--------------------
"Maybe getting in the last word doesn't really mean you win." - The Clarks

Posts: 486 | From: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages