snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » Rantidote » Need a new computer

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Need a new computer
Doug4.7
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 105 posted      Profile for Doug4.7   E-mail Doug4.7   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I need a new computer. I am processing a whole lot of data using a program called Matlab (sort of like IDL). It has been difficult for me to do the analysis because of the old computer I have. I keep running into "out of memory" errors. I know what is needed, so I presented my needs to my "boss" and was told we don't have the money to get me a new computer now. That I understand. However, I just found out HE is getting a new computer (the one I NEEDED). It is a 64 bit machine with dual processors, huge monitor and 8 GM of memory. Do you know what he does with his computer? Writes e-mails and documents. If I had his computer, I could be burning up the dual processors with my data analysis.

Now the last time I got a new computer, I got it by following the same procedure as above (and getting the same response). What I did then was get a new computer AT HOME that was better than my office computer. I then started working a few days a week at home to get my work done. That freaked out my boss ("You can't work at home because home is not work. You can only work at work because if you were home, you are not at work and so can't be working..."), and somehow they "found" money to get me a better computer at work. Funny thing was, when I told a couple of co-workers my method, THEY tried it and ALSO got new computers.

So I know what I need to do to get the new computer. However, money is a bit tight at home right now, so I can't get the computer I need at home to pull the, "I will just work at home then" routine to get a new unit at work.

--------------------
And now for something completely different...

Posts: 4164 | From: Alabama | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jinxie
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jinxie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
What if you asked if you could sit in his office oh 3-4 hours a day because you could get xxx done more efficiently on his nice new computer?

I don't know that would be dependant on the dinamics of your office.

--------------------
Go Jimmie Go! This is your year!

Posts: 676 | From: Texas | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Doug4.7

Icon 37 posted      Profile for Doug4.7   E-mail Doug4.7   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jinxie:
What if you asked if you could sit in his office oh 3-4 hours a day because you could get xxx done more efficiently on his nice new computer?

I don't know that would be dependant on the dinamics of your office.

Nice one! However, I am not sure who would break first....

--------------------

Posts: 4164 | From: Alabama | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Die Capacitrix
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Die Capacitrix     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Do you have IT support to complain to? The IT support costs will soon make it cheaper to buy a new computer for you - depending on how the budgets work. My computer crashed so much IT finally gave me the same machine as the CAD users. I'm not using MATLAB - just some very large documents.

--------------------
"Strength is the capacity to break a chocolate bar into four pieces with your bare hands - and then eat just one of the pieces." Judith Viorst

Posts: 1082 | From: Luzern, Switzerland | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Doug4.7

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug4.7   E-mail Doug4.7   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
We do have IT support, but my computer is not so old as to cause them trouble. Besides, they just "repair" things (and charge our codes). It goes back to the guy with the signature authority, and he is doing fine with his 64 dual machine...

My only way out is to buy one for home use and let them panic on me working at home...

Remember, I work for/with a government agency. Logic need not apply.

--------------------

AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
If you're working for a government agency, do not spend your own money purchasing anything out of pocket for work.

If your boss won't approve it, use the chain of command. That is ridiculous.

--------------------
"When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty."--George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 19266 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nick Theodorakis
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nick Theodorakis   E-mail Nick Theodorakis   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doug4.7:
We do have IT support, but my computer is not so old as to cause them trouble. Besides, they just "repair" things (and charge our codes). It goes back to the guy with the signature authority, and he is doing fine with his 64 dual machine...

Myabe he could "repair" the motherboard, hard drive, monitor ...

Nick

--------------------
Don't forget to register for the New ULMB.

Announcement here

Posts: 1089 | From: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mickey is a Hanukkah Bush
O Come Let Us Adore Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mickey is a Hanukkah Bush   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I know that Dell has payment plans, maybe some other computer manufacturing companies do, too. Could you use that method to buy a new computer?

--------------------
My mom, about my nervousness with Jeopardy!: "Don't worry about it. Just get drunk and you'll do fine."
Blog Just call me Mickey 2

Posts: 3295 | From: Radford, VA/Herndon, VA/Orlando, FL | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LittleDuck

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LittleDuck   E-mail LittleDuck   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
How about getting only part of the work done that you're supposed to. Then when the idiot complains say, "Well, I need a new computer." *pause* "Or I could work at home again..."

--------------------
"Silly customer, you cannot hurt a Twinkie." -Apu (The Simpsons)

Posts: 2026 | From: 10 miles South of Boston | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mickey is a Hanukkah Bush
O Come Let Us Adore Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mickey is a Hanukkah Bush   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Littleduck, you have to consider that his boss may say that he should work at home a few days a week again, and if Doug doesn't have the resources to be able to work from home a couple of days a week, he's in a "damned if you do damned if you don't" situation.

--------------------
My mom, about my nervousness with Jeopardy!: "Don't worry about it. Just get drunk and you'll do fine."
Blog Just call me Mickey 2

Posts: 3295 | From: Radford, VA/Herndon, VA/Orlando, FL | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LittleDuck

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LittleDuck   E-mail LittleDuck   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Mickey, he already said that the last time he worked at home his boss freaked and found money for a new computer. The difference now if there's no new computer at home. But the boss doesn't need to know that.

--------------------
"Silly customer, you cannot hurt a Twinkie." -Apu (The Simpsons)

Posts: 2026 | From: 10 miles South of Boston | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Doug4.7

Icon 218 posted      Profile for Doug4.7   E-mail Doug4.7   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LittleDuck:
The difference now if there's no new computer at home. But the boss doesn't need to know that.

I may have to think about that idea.....

--------------------

Doug4.7

Icon 205 posted      Profile for Doug4.7   E-mail Doug4.7   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr:
If you're working for a government agency, do not spend your own money purchasing anything out of pocket for work.

Oh no, when I buy the computer, it is for HOME use. I just used the last one I bought for leverage. I do do work at home on it, however, but it is also used for other purposes. I actually work for a university on a contract for the government. The university folks have no trouble with me working at home (great way to get things done, they tell me), but my gov. “boss” (that is why I put it in quotes) is the one who has trouble with working at home.

Chain of command is rather shallow. It stops with the grant money.

--------------------

CSGirl
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CSGirl   E-mail CSGirl   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hey Doug-
Can I hijak your rant for a sec? I'm just curious what you use Matlab for. I've used it a bit for school, but it was for mostly math/computer science classes. I'm curious how it's used out in the "real world". [lol]

--------------------
My software never has bugs. It just develops random features.
Dr. Wilson: Beauty often seduces us on the road to truth.
Dr. Gregory House: And triteness kicks us in the nads.
-House MD

Posts: 114 | From: Glastonbury, CT / Houghton, NY | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jason Threadslayer
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jason Threadslayer     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Start up a nice CPU or memory intensive Matlab process and take a coffee break and sit someplace conspicuous, like in your boss's office or in your boss's boss's office. When asked what you're doing, point out the limitations of 32 bit UP processing with eighty megabytes and constant swapping. Then point out how an 8 GB 64 bit dualie would double your productivity.

Install Matlab on your boss's computer and then ssh -X in. [Smile]

Late one night, disassemble your computer and swap your CPU and RAM with your boss's.

Isn't there an office to whom you can report waste?

--------------------
All posts foretold by Nostradamus.

Turing test failures: 6

Posts: 5481 | From: Decatur, GA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Doug4.7

Icon 203 posted      Profile for Doug4.7   E-mail Doug4.7   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CSGirl:
Hey Doug-
Can I hijak your rant for a sec? I'm just curious what you use Matlab for. I've used it a bit for school, but it was for mostly math/computer science classes. I'm curious how it's used out in the "real world". [lol]

I am using it to calibrate aircraft electric field data. There is a vector of field measurements (E at various points on the aircraft) and I have to transform that to the 4-vector of aircraft electric field (Ex, Ey, Ez, and Eq). These measuements are 10X second, so I have to transform a 8 by (big number) matrix into a 4 by (big number) matrix. Matlab eats this stuff up. As soon as my paper on the calibration method gets accepted, I'll PM you the link (if that would be interesting).

--------------------

Doug4.7

Icon 218 posted      Profile for Doug4.7   E-mail Doug4.7   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Threadslayer:
Late one night, disassemble your computer and swap your CPU and RAM with your boss's.

That one I like. He would never know the difference..... [Cool]

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages