snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » Rantidote » Move your car (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Move your car
Hubert Cumberdale
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hubert Cumberdale   E-mail Hubert Cumberdale   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by UrbanReindeer:
The holiday season brings out my least favorite people: the parking stalkers. Now, if I'm driving down a row, and I see someone obviously about to pull out, okay no problem. Look, I'm killing two birds with one stone by a) being polite enough to let them pull out and b) scoring myself a space.

The parking stalkers are the people who follow people down the row to their cars and then WAIT. When I'm stuck behind one of these guys, they're invariably waiting for someone with three kids and 10 bags. It's going to take her 10 minutes to get in the car! Just go!

A good way to keep the parking vultures from stalking you (besides parking as far as you can from the store where no one wants to park) is to walk a few lanes over while walking to your car then cross over to the correct lane when you get to where your car is. It's funny to see them try to rush to get your spot when it's actually three rows over. They never make it.

Of course if you want to be cruel, you could just walk around a mall parking lot with no intention of going to your car around Christmas carrying bags and see how many people follow you.

Posts: 835 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
tribrats
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tribrats   Author's Homepage   E-mail tribrats   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My Dad and I met up at a mall during the holiday season. Not much parking and one truck was parked across 3- almost 4 spaces. It was one of those extended ones with a full back seat. I saw Dad but no spot for my car. There was just barely room front and back of him (the truck) for cars but I don't think people were using them because they didn't want to block the jerk in. I had no problem just pulling in. Dad moved his truck to the other spot so our cars would be closer to each other (yes, that was the main reason he did, his car was 10-12 lanes from mine and we knew it would be dark by the time we left). We come out of the store some 3-4 hours later and some guy was sitting in the truck. As soon as we got there he got out and started ranting about how he had been sitting there for 2 hours waiting for someone to come move one of our NFBSKing cars. Got bitchy because he said mall security wouldn't do anything, the police had been there and wouldn't do anything.

Had to love my Dad. He told the guy that we were going to leave but after a display like that, we were just going to put our packages in the cars and go back to shopping. Told him that the malls didn't close for hours yet and we would be back at closing time. And knowing my Dad, he would have. I think the guy would have stripped down naked and danced in the street if Dad had asked just to get one of us to move a car.

--------------------
Snopes is moving! Here's snopes' announcement.
Come here to re-register!

Posts: 2448 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snapdragonfly
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snapdragonfly     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by tribrats:
My Dad and I met up at a mall during the holiday season. Not much parking and one truck was parked across 3- almost 4 spaces. It was one of those extended ones with a full back seat. I saw Dad but no spot for my car. There was just barely room front and back of him (the truck) for cars but I don't think people were using them because they didn't want to block the jerk in. I had no problem just pulling in. Dad moved his truck to the other spot so our cars would be closer to each other (yes, that was the main reason he did, his car was 10-12 lanes from mine and we knew it would be dark by the time we left). We come out of the store some 3-4 hours later and some guy was sitting in the truck. As soon as we got there he got out and started ranting about how he had been sitting there for 2 hours waiting for someone to come move one of our NFBSKing cars. Got bitchy because he said mall security wouldn't do anything, the police had been there and wouldn't do anything.

Had to love my Dad. He told the guy that we were going to leave but after a display like that, we were just going to put our packages in the cars and go back to shopping. Told him that the malls didn't close for hours yet and we would be back at closing time. And knowing my Dad, he would have. I think the guy would have stripped down naked and danced in the street if Dad had asked just to get one of us to move a car.

MUhahaha...how delicious.

My husband has one of those big trucks (because we actually HAUL real actual STUFF and need it!) and he always parks kind of far away and at the end of the lot just so he won't squeeze other people.

But then again he's not an asshat.

--------------------
"Wolves, dragons and vampires, man. Draw the nut-bars like big ol' nut-bar magnets." ~evilrabbit

(snurched because one of my nutbar family members is all about wolves and another one is all about dragons...)(with apologies to surfcitydogdad)

Posts: 2397 | From: Texarkana, TX | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
tagurit
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 218 posted      Profile for tagurit   E-mail tagurit   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
*knock, knock, knock* Is there anybody in there?
quote:
Originally posted by Hubert Cumberdale:
A good way to keep the parking vultures from stalking you (besides parking as far as you can from the store where no one wants to park) is to walk a few lanes over while walking to your car then cross over to the correct lane when you get to where your car is. It's funny to see them try to rush to get your spot when it's actually three rows over. They never make it.

Of course if you want to be cruel, you could just walk around a mall parking lot with no intention of going to your car around Christmas carrying bags and see how many people follow you.

--------------------
Explore, enjoy and protect the planet
---
AAMAH

Posts: 8532 | From: Michigan | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
tribrats

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tribrats   Author's Homepage   E-mail tribrats   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
snapdragonfly, those trucks can be very handy. And drive surprisingly nice. Dad's neighbors had one of the first models to come out and had a fifth wheel in the back to haul cattle trailers and their 3 kids. I don't recall any of them having to park like they were in a parallel spot!

I enjoyed the incident because my Dad is not afraid to say the things I wish I had the guts to. And I am quite capable of saying quite a bit!

I hadn't parked there with the intent to block the guy in but I hesitate to say the same about my Dad. He has an evil streak [Wink] .

When I worked at a garage, we had a guy that rebuilt a car from the frame up. He rebuilt everything and put all his time and money he could spare into it. It came out beautiful. He would park diagonally in 2 spots so to help protect it. However, he parked way across the lot where no-one but us workers parked and there were usually dozens of spots available. And during the busy season he would park normal and hope for the best.

--------------------

Posts: 2448 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Friends of Alfred
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Friends of Alfred   E-mail Friends of Alfred   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Semi related rant about drivers.

On the main route into the city centre, the road goes into a tunnel, and becomes 1 lane. This is, 1 lane for cars, and a bus/taxi lane on the left. These bus lanes are not for ordinary motorists.

So I was sitting in traffic this morning, having come out the far side of the tunnel, and traffic was merging again. I spot some asshole in an Audi flying down the bus lane, and watched him force his way into the left hand lane. Afer a couple of minutes of inching along, I found myself beside him, and noticed that he had left a 10 foot gap between him and the car in front. I need to get in the left lane at some point, so I indicated and turned into the gap (traffic is not moving at this stage).

This asshole actually mounted the footpath to get around me, whilst leaning on the horn, and giving me the finger.

He is lucky I'm suce a nice guy. I know a couple of lads who would not have hesitated to haul him from his car and batter him up and down the high street.

--------------------
There's no reason to become alarmed, and we hope you'll enjoy the rest of your flight. By the way, is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?

Posts: 735 | From: Manchester, UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
bufungla
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 18 posted      Profile for bufungla   Author's Homepage   E-mail bufungla   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Friends of Alfred:

This asshole actually mounted the footpath to get around me, whilst leaning on the horn, and giving me the finger.

He is lucky I'm suce a nice guy. I know a couple of lads who would not have hesitated to haul him from his car and batter him up and down the high street.

It's much safer to smile and wave, pretending to believe that he's honking to say hello.

buf 'also tends to make them all the madder [Big Grin] ' ungla

--------------------
"Pardon him. Theodotus: he is a barbarian, and thinks that the customs of his tribe and island are the laws of nature."

George Bernard Shaw, Caesar and Cleopatra

Posts: 4847 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Monza305
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monza305   E-mail Monza305   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I had a two-fer at the store this weekend.

I pulled into a decent parking spot. When I started to go into the store, I realized that the front of my car was about a foot and 1/2 over the front line. So I got back into my car to back it up. Someone looking for a space saw my reverse lights come on & shot up to me at the speed of light to take my place. I got a nice dirty look when I got out of my car & started walking to the store.

Then on the way out, there was a cop there giving out tickets to all the people illegaly parked in the handicapped spaces. [lol] I had to walk by him just to give him a thumbs up.

--------------------
I've got a pen in my pocket does that make me a writer?
Standing on the mountain doesn't make me no higher.
Putting on gloves don't make you a fighter.
And all the study in the world doesn't make it science. -Paul Weller

Posts: 199 | From: Kalamazoo, MI | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
FullMetal
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FullMetal   E-mail FullMetal   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Worst park job I've ever seen, parallel parking near my work, Its free on a side street so that's where I park, I drive a little Sunfire, and this Jeep TJ parked in front of me, now normally this isn't a problem except he left no room, (and by no room I mean our bumpers were touching) for me to move forward. I had 1 foot behind me because the guy in front of me decided to park close too, (not as close as Jeep boy) I had nowhere to go, and I was stuck. That's my pet peeve, people parking too close so that you're unable to leave a parking space.

The guy behind me, came up while I was writing a note to the jerk in the jeep. and apologized for getting so close, I told him not to worry, i wasn't upset at him just the guy in the jeep.

I mean really, why park right up against another car?

Posts: 153 | From: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Hans Off

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hans Off   E-mail Hans Off   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Pah, you have no sense of flair! I spent about two hours this summer watching people parrallel park in Paris. The form is that no one parks with their handbrake on.

The "contestant" finds a space that is within aboput 2 foot of the length of his car, reverses into the space and pushes the car behind him out of the way.

It is wonderous to watch!

--------------------
"British English speakers point to Americans adding more syllables so that they can make even more noise without actually saying anything." Llewtrah

Posts: 2235 | From: Sussex , UK | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
tagurit

Icon 22 posted      Profile for tagurit   E-mail tagurit   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hans, no one uses their hand brake in the us. However, there aren't that many parallel parking spots.

--------------------
---
AAMAH

Posts: 8532 | From: Michigan | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
GenYus
Away in a Manager's Special

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GenYus   E-mail GenYus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I use my hand brake (although I call it the emergency brake) every time I park. If I'm on an incline, I also make sure to shift it into reverse (if pointing uphill) or 1st (if pointing downhill). As I never park on a hill along the side of a street, I never worry about which way the wheels point.

--------------------
IIRC, it wasn't the shoe bomber's loud prayers that sparked the takedown by the other passengers; it was that he was trying to light his shoe on fire. Very, very different. Canuckistan

Posts: 3694 | From: Arizona | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sara at home

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sara at home   E-mail Sara at home   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by tagurit:
Hans, no one uses their hand brake in the us. However, there aren't that many parallel parking spots.

Speak for yourself! And don't move around here if you can't parallel park!

Yes, many of us do use our hand breaks and while there aren't enough parking spots on our block, they are the only place to park. Fortunately there are few houses and a lot of spaces on our cross streets.

--------------------
Assume that all my posts will be edited at least once. Dyslexic -- can't spell, can't type, can't proofread.

Posts: 8317 | From: Reading, PA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
tribrats

While I do tend to use the E-Brake on cars with manual transmission, I haven't parallel parked since I took my drivers test in 1988.

--------------------

Mickey is a Hanukkah Bush
O Come Let Us Adore Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mickey is a Hanukkah Bush   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't even know how to parallel park. I just find the nearest spot that has room for me to just park nicely without having to back into the parking space.

--------------------
My mom, about my nervousness with Jeopardy!: "Don't worry about it. Just get drunk and you'll do fine."
Blog Just call me Mickey 2

Posts: 3295 | From: Radford, VA/Herndon, VA/Orlando, FL | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Roadie
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roadie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GenYus:
If I'm on an incline, I also make sure to shift it into reverse (if pointing uphill) or 1st (if pointing downhill).

I don't hill park, so maybe I'm missing something, but isn't this backward? I thought you should be in reverse pointing downhill and 1st facing uphill. But I'm probably nuts. [Big Grin]

--------------------
"The little local company I buy from has CHEAP shipping and I have met their goats." (snapdragonfly)

"And that's one lost erection I'll never get back! You hear me Dan! I'm owed an erection!" (I'mNotDedalus)

Posts: 2658 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Roadie
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roadie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Okay, so I'm not nuts!

--------------------
"The little local company I buy from has CHEAP shipping and I have met their goats." (snapdragonfly)

"And that's one lost erection I'll never get back! You hear me Dan! I'm owed an erection!" (I'mNotDedalus)

Posts: 2658 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
tagurit

Icon 600 posted      Profile for tagurit   E-mail tagurit   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sara Claus at home:
quote:
Originally posted by tagurit:

Speak for yourself! And don't move around here if you can't parallel park!
Hey, the manhandling isn't necessary! I'm staying in Michigan. I can parallel park, I just don't use my emergency brake as there's no need for it.

--------------------
---
AAMAH

Hans Off

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hans Off   E-mail Hans Off   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I am flabbergasted that the USAsian don't use handbrakes!!!!!!

WTF are you all thinking?!!!!

I would love to know the reasons!

--------------------
"British English speakers point to Americans adding more syllables so that they can make even more noise without actually saying anything." Llewtrah

Posts: 2235 | From: Sussex , UK | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hans Off:
I am flabbergasted that the USAsian don't use handbrakes!!!!!!

WTF are you all thinking?!!!!

I would love to know the reasons!

The near-ubiquity of automatic transmission, perhaps?

--------------------
"When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty."--George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 19266 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Zachary Fizz

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zachary Fizz     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Eleventy-one, Hans.

I have an American-built SUV, and it doesn't have a handbrake at all. This makes using the handbrake truly difficult, I can tell you.

It does have something called a parking brake, which you also find on Mercedes-Benz cars worldwide, and which is pedal actuated with a release lever, operated by hand, located in a slightly awkward position by the driver's left shin. When I park the truck, I often just shift the gear selector into park. If there were any inclines to park on around here, I might additionally use the parking brake.

Posts: 2370 | From: Arabia | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ladyknight
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ladyknight     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I still have a manual transmission, so let me assure you that I use my parking brake every day! The Fiance, on the other hand, has used his parking brake only two or three times in the two years he's owned his car, always on a steep incline.

--------------------
Triumphs cannot be given. They must be taken, and the worse the odds, and the fiercer the resistance, the greater the honor. -- A Civil Campaign, Lois McMaster Bujold

Posts: 638 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
The Fourth Man
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Fourth Man   E-mail The Fourth Man   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hans Off:
The "contestant" finds a space that is within aboput 2 foot of the length of his car, reverses into the space and pushes the car behind him out of the way.

We call that "se garer au chausse-pied" (lit. "shoe horn parking"). And yes, it's a crucial skill for anyone willing to drive in Paris. [Big Grin]

--------------------
If you keep trying, you'll eventually succeed. Therefore, the more you fail, the higher your chances of success.
-- Jacques Rouxel, 1931-2004 RIP :(

Posts: 406 | From: Paris, France | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LittleDuck

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LittleDuck   E-mail LittleDuck   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
We have an automatic transmission and still use the hand brake all the time, even on flat surfaces (force of habit, I guess). I more often hear it referred to here in the US as an "emergency brake" or "parking brake" however.

--------------------
"Silly customer, you cannot hurt a Twinkie." -Apu (The Simpsons)

Posts: 2026 | From: 10 miles South of Boston | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Gordon Fan
I Am Curious, Yellowtail

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gordon Fan   E-mail Gordon Fan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Holiday Shopping Rules...

a.. Rule No. 1
When waiting for a parking spot, stop in the middle of the road, don't signal, and orient your car diagonally to prevent others from passing.

b.. Rule No. 2
Always park on the lines, taking up as many spots as possible. Diagonal parking is preferred.

c.. Rule No. 3
In a crowded parking lot, if you find a spot and have the opportunity to pull through to an adjacent one, drive up halfway and stop on the line, taking both.

d.. Rule No. 4
As you pull into a spot, if you see that the space ahead of you is empty and you see another driver signaling to take it, pull though and take it from him.

e.. Rule No. 5
Always park close enough to the adjacent car so that the other driver must grease up with Vaseline to squeeze into his or her car.

f.. Rule No. 6
When getting out of your car, hit the adjacent vehicle with your door really hard.

g.. Rule No. 7
When driving through the parking lot, ignore the painted lanes and drive diagonally from one end to another at a high rate of speed.

h.. Rule No. 8
When stopped in front of a store and waiting for a friend/relative to make a purchase, make sure that you are stopped in the middle of the road. The same rule applies to picking up and discharging passengers.

i.. Rule No. 9
When a vehicle from the opposite direction is signaling and waiting for a parking space, position your car so that you are in his way and let the car behind you take it.

j.. Rule No. 10
If you have handicapped license plates, use up a regular parking spot.

k.. Rule No. 11
If you hit the adjacent car with your door and leave a dent, wait for a car, which is painted the same color as yours, to drive down the aisle looking for a place to park. Then back out, giving up your spot like "Mr. Good Guy," and park somewhere else.

l.. Rule No. 12
If the vehicle in front of you stops to let a pedestrian cross or another vehicle turn, pull into the lane of opposite traffic and attempt to pass him.

m.. Rule No. 13
When exiting a shopping center into a busy road, exit through the narrow "ENTER ONLY" driveway, stick the nose of the car into traffic, and wait.

n.. Rule No. 14
When driving through a parking lot with alternating one-way aisles and angled parking spots, drive the wrong way. Then when you see a parking space, take 20 minutes to do a 12-point turn to pull into it.

o.. Rule No. 15
Always leave your shopping cart behind or tightly between parked vehicles.

p.. Rule No. 16
Empty your ashtrays on the ground in shopping center parking lots. While you're at it, dump out all the garbage, too, including that Wendy's or McDonald's bag sitting in the back seat from breakfast.

q.. Rule No. 17
If you are forced to change an infant's diaper in a parking lot, leave the soiled diaper under the car next to you.

r.. Rule No. 18
When another vehicle is waiting for you to pull out of a spot in a crowded parking lot, take your time. Adjust the mirrors, your seat, and the radio. Roll down your window, light a cigarette, and eat your lunch. Feel free to go through your shopping bags and look at what you just bought.

s.. Rule No. 19
When pulling into a parking spot, if there is a shopping cart in the way, lightly tap it with your bumper and send it rolling into another car. Then, when you step out, if the cart is still too close, push it down the parking lot aisle and let it go. While the cart is flying solo, turn around and walk toward the stores.

t.. Rule No. 20
When walking back to your car in a busy shopping center, gesture to other drivers waiting for a spot to make them think that you are getting in the car and leaving. Then walk between the cars to the next aisle and do it again.

u.. Rule No. 21
When shopping at the mall, which requires you to load your bags into the car and go back in to do more shopping, do NOT tell the driver who is sitting patiently watching you load your car and signaling for your spot.

v.. Rule No. 22
When walking back to your car, if you notice other shoppers walking past your car to get to theirs, press the buttons on your key chain remote so that your car's alarm makes a sudden loud "BLOOP BLEEP" that scares the crap out of them.

w.. Rule No. 23
If you don't see a speed limit sign posted in the mall's parking lot, there isn't any!

x.. Rule No. 24
If you back into a parked car, and the driver isn't with it, take out a piece of paper and start writing. This is especially effective if there are 15-20 witnesses. On a piece of paper write, "There were ___ witnesses when I hit your car. They think I'm writing my name, address, and phone number."

Posts: 13 | From: East Stroudsburg, PA | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
HelloLlama
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HelloLlama     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gordon Fan:

j.. Rule No. 10
If you have handicapped license plates, use up a regular parking spot.

Well, they don't really have anywhere else to park since someone not handicapped is probably illegally parked in the handicapped spot.
Posts: 498 | From: Ypsilanti, Michigan | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gordon Fan:
v.. Rule No. 22
When walking back to your car, if you notice other shoppers walking past your car to get to theirs, press the buttons on your key chain remote so that your car's alarm makes a sudden loud "BLOOP BLEEP" that scares the crap out of them."

When I do that, it's because I can't remember where I parked.

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
chillas
Coventry Mall Carol

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chillas     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Why are the rules lettered and numbered?

--------------------
Come on, come on - spin a little tighter
Come on, come on - and the world's a little brighter

Posts: 5595 | From: Columbus, OH : The Soccer Capital of America | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Para
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Para     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by frogpond:
I also hate seeing people let small kids run ahead or behind them in a parking lot. I drive a tall truck and when I'm parked in between vehicles as tall as mine it can be very difficult to spot a short child while backing out. I had a scare at the mall once when a small child came running about 10 feet behind his father, but fortunately I inch out slowly.

Is anyone else afraid to walk past a car with engines running in the lots? I've had a scare or two that way as well!

Oh, you just reminded me of an unfortunate incident near where I work that occured last year. The family had been in town shopping, and stopped at a convenience store. The little five year old boy ran ahead of his parents towards the store and was run over by a fully-loaded semi truck. The driver had no idea that the boy was there or that he'd hit the child. Someone had to run after him and tell him. It wasn't that he was going too fast, he was driving very slowly. The little boy was just too small, and ran out too close to the truck for the driver to see him. [Frown]

--------------------
"But what of the golden spider-duck and the squat crimson pig?"

Posts: 425 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages