snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » Rantidote » You screwed up my sandwich - twice - and yet you get mad at me? (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: You screwed up my sandwich - twice - and yet you get mad at me?
SiKboy
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SiKboy     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TwoGuyswithaHat:
quote:
Originally posted by ThistleSoftware:
TwoGuyswithaHat: Uh, because I'm a good server and I like to make sure I'm getting exactly what the customer (or in my current job, client/ guest) wants. It's useless to assume anything when you're serving someone else food. When someone tells me whether or not they want cream, I don't assume that has anything to do with whether or not they want sugar.

That seems to be a rather patronizing attitude --not to me, but to the customer -- if they are clever enough to specify cream, they would be just as clever as to say they want sugar in their coffee. People who regularly drink coffee, usually do so at least once a day, so it's not as if they've suddenly forgotten how they drink it.
quote:
Having been a customer my entire life, and having worked in customer service till this point in my life I'd have to agree... customers are idiots.

So customers are idiots, but we should assume they are smart enough to specify whether they want sugar?

Personally, I look at it like this: Someone asks for black coffee, you say "Sugar?" and they say "No", its no harm, no foul. Its maybe 1 second out of your life. You DONT ask for sugar, and they wanted sugar? Be prepared for some enraged butthead demanding new coffee, or free coffee, or just shouting at you in general. Yes its a simple matter to add sugar, but try telling that to angry customer who is embarressed that he forgot to ask for sugar.

And personally, I would agree that "Black coffee" refers to the colour, so only state that you dont want milk. If someone asked me for black coffee, I'd ask if they wanted sugar. In the same way that if someone asked for just "Coffee", I'd ask if they wanted milk or sugar, instead of simply assuming that they wanted neither because they didnt specify.

--------------------
This Space For Rent.

Posts: 210 | From: Glasgow, Scotland | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kiddo
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kiddo   E-mail Kiddo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This is so funny...

From where I am, black means pour the coffee, put the lid on, no cream, no sugar, nothing.

If someone says "black with sugar" they are ordering it wrong, that would be the same as saying "black with cream".

But, that changes everywhere... I had some ladies come in from a Southern state (can't remember exactly where now) and one of them said "If I wanted a coffee with nothing in it, what would I say?" and I said "Black" and she said "Oh, ok, I'm from (I forget) and we would say regular"... it's just strange how things like that change, because if someone said regular to me, it means cream and sugar... but then even others think it means medium, or just not decaf...

--------------------
~*~DORI~*~

Posts: 18 | From: London, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ThistleSoftware
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ThistleSoftware     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
TwoGuys, I just don't know what to say. I don't see how asking a simple question to expand on what a customer has told me is treating them like an idiot, being patronizing, or asking them all kinds of personal information. Maybe you think I'm asking in some kind of weird tone, but I'm not. They say they want black coffee, I ask if they want sugar. That's all there is to it. If you're at a diner and there's a special that comes with a side and you don't specify which side you want, do you find it patronizing for the waitress to ask which you want? If you ask for toast and don't specify if you want butter is it patronizing for the waitress to ask if you want butter?

You might be one of those customers who always says exactly what they want and doesn't leave anything out, but most customers in my experience are not like that, and will ask you to make it again if you left out something they didn't specify wanting. So I cover my own ass by asking all the pertinent questions right of the bat. Sorry that bothers you.

--------------------
Officially Heartless

Posts: 3065 | From: The Montgomery County of the West Coast- Berkeley, CA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TwoGuyswithaHat
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwoGuyswithaHat   E-mail TwoGuyswithaHat   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SiKboy:
quote:
quote:
TwoGuyswithaHat: Uh, because I'm a good server and I like to make sure I'm getting exactly what the customer (or in my current job, client/ guest) wants. It's useless to assume anything when you're serving someone else food. When someone tells me whether or not they want cream, I don't assume that has anything to do with whether or not they want sugar.

That seems to be a rather patronizing attitude --not to me, but to the customer -- if they are clever enough to specify cream, they would be just as clever as to say they want sugar in their coffee. People who regularly drink coffee, usually do so at least once a day, so it's not as if they've suddenly forgotten how they drink it.
quote:
Having been a customer my entire life, and having worked in customer service till this point in my life I'd have to agree... customers are idiots.

So customers are idiots, but we should assume they are smart enough to specify whether they want sugar?

Yup, because even an idiot knows how they like their coffee. . . I know I do [Big Grin]

--------------------
In politics, absurdity is not a handicap - Napoleon Bonaparte

Posts: 1801 | From: The Forest City, Ontario | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NancyFancyPants
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NancyFancyPants     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by pinqy:
Don't Forget! Winter Solstice Hanukkah Christmas Kwanzaa & Gurnenthar's Ascendance Are Coming!

And a festivus for the rest of us!

Sorry, pinqy, I could not stop myself.

--------------------
And on the 7th day, God said, "Let there be lips!"

Posts: 296 | From: Munhall, PA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
FullMetal
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FullMetal   E-mail FullMetal   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I can relate to the mayo on the knife disgusting situation.

I've had similar situations at a Subway I used to be quite regular in going to. everytime I asked them to wipe the knife (if it was covered in Mayo or thousand island dressing I'd definately ask them to wipe it off, they'd give me the strangest look like I asked them shove it in their chest or something.

but then you're talking to the king of getting burgers made wrong. I always get it made wrong. so i've given up and eat at harveys. where they put the toppings on right in front of you, and only what you ask for. (and I don't ask for that hard. yeah I'd like a hamburger, PLAIN, that's just meat and bun thanks!

Posts: 153 | From: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LeaflessMapleTree
The twelve shopping days 'til Christmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LeaflessMapleTree   E-mail LeaflessMapleTree   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Unless it's Good Burger.

Is a bun something or nothing?
Something.
Hah! I win!

--------------------
"For me, religion is like a rhinoceros: I don't have one, and I'd really prefer not to be trampled by yours. But it is impressive, and even beautiful, and, to be honest, the world would be slightly worse off if there weren't any."
-Silas Sparkhammer

Posts: 3239 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
MaxKaladin
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MaxKaladin   E-mail MaxKaladin   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ChelleGame:
That being said, have you ever done a repetitious task for a long stretch of time, to the point that it becomes rote?

Yes. I thought about putting a paragraph in about how I know it's routine but the post was already getting pretty long.

In this case, I would think that it would be better in the long run to not get in that habit but instead ask. Some places do ask. Whataburger, for instance. That way it's part of the rote instead of fighting it. I suspect it would also save money in the long run because they're not handing out so much "freebies" which should compensate for the extra few moments it would take to ask and pick rather than just stuff a pile of condiments in.

Posts: 716 | From: San Antonio, TX | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Just Me
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Just Me     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ben Who:
It struck me as odd. They hadn't found my apartment, so they had just...what? Given up? Wandered back to the pizzeria and hoped I'd forgotten that I'd placed an order? Wasn't it SOP for the delivery guy to telephone for directions if he couldn't find the house?

That's happened to me twice since October - different pizza places both times. I live on a uniquely named street (Turrill) - however, there's both a Turrill Avenue and Turrill Road which are nowhere near each other. After the amount of trouble I've had with people going to Road instead of Avenue, I go out of my way to make sure they know which one is correct.

Anyways, we ordered pizza and 90 minutes later, it's still not here. I call up and the food was at the store. They went to Turrill Road, couldn't find my address, then just returned the food. It was sitting on top of the oven, so at least it was still hot, but they didn't bother to call. I corrected their mistake and they came to drop it off. I think that was the first time I've ever not tipped a delivery guy (and, yes, it was the same person).

--------------------
"Invention, my dear friends, is 93% perspiration, 6% electricity, 4% evaporation, and 2% butterscotch ripple." - Willy Wonka

Posts: 388 | From: Michigan | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ica171
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ica171   E-mail ica171   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Ana Ng:
quote:
Originally posted by ica171:
The Burger King down the street currently owes me two Hershey pies because of this.

Please share with the class how they screwed up a Hershey Pie. Did they stomp on the little triangular box?
My guess is did not include it, or that the pie is used to sweeten up a disgruntled customer.
No, just forgot to include it, and I don't really mean owe in the sense that I could still retrieve them if I chose. Just that I paid for and never received two of them. It was a while ago, so it's not as if I'll be marching into the store and demanding them.
Posts: 384 | From: Iowa | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ChelleGame
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ChelleGame   E-mail ChelleGame   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MaxKaladin:
quote:
That being said, have you ever done a repetitious task for a long stretch of time, to the point that it becomes rote?

Yes. I thought about putting a paragraph in about how I know it's routine but the post was already getting pretty long.

In this case, I would think that it would be better in the long run to not get in that habit but instead ask. Some places do ask. Whataburger, for instance. That way it's part of the rote instead of fighting it. I suspect it would also save money in the long run because they're not handing out so much "freebies" which should compensate for the extra few moments it would take to ask and pick rather than just stuff a pile of condiments in.

Right, but the problem is not with them misunderstanding you want something different, but in the fact that most people do order it a standard way. If most people order a Whopper, and think the way it comes is just Jim Dandy, they they have an excellent chance of getting a good approximation of the Whopper from the training video. It's the guy who deviates from that who might have more of a problem, especially during a rush. Basically, you're dealing with an assembly line, and that can cause errors when you deviate. Again, through no real fault of your own.

During rushes you also might have an employee begin to make you "sammich," stop to drop fries, and add meat to the broiler, and by the time they return to your "sammich," they've forgotten the minus onions, plus ketch-up, and cut in half.

To me, it's like taking dance lessons and practicing the same steps until you can do them in your sleep, and without conscious thought. Then the teacher tells you that periodically, and randomly, you'll have to do something different in the middle of the routine. You might have to force yourself not to do the same dance, and will probably just come to a confused standstill. This is why someone can read the words No Mayo while reaching for the mayo.

Now, you're right that there are places that custom make each sandwich, and there are benefits to it, but you lose speed. Even at a place like Subway, you can say no lettuce and have the worker reach for it because most people get it. The human mind looks for and clings to patterns.

--------------------
Michelle

Posts: 953 | From: Ely, Minnesota | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Canuckistan
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 18 posted      Profile for Canuckistan   E-mail Canuckistan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LeaflessMapleTree:
[Confused] Where did the notion of anyone spitting in my food come in?

It was an implied in Brad's venomous post. [Razz]

--------------------
People need to stop appropriating Jesus as their reason for behaving badly. It's so irritating. (Avril)

Posts: 8429 | From: New York run by the Swiss (Toronto) | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
PsychoWoman

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PsychoWoman   E-mail PsychoWoman   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Now, Ice tea is a different story. First, I'll bypass the horror that in many parts of the US if you ask for tea they'll assume you mean ice tea. But in parts of the South, you automatically get "sweet tea" (pronounced "sweetee") as the default. Sweet tea is made by adding ungodly amounts of sugar to very strong tea while still hot, then later diluted.

pinqy

I always order unsweet tea when I go out and add Sweet N Low. I think it tastes better than sugar. Just this past week, the waitress brought me a refill and it was sweeetee. She stated, "I saw you addin' sweetner to the tea. You know you can just order sweeetee." I explained that I understood and prefer to sweeten my own. She said, "That's just dumb and such a waste."

Her tip went into the charity box for the ASPCA.

Posts: 201 | From: Tampa Bay area, Florida | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Monza305

Icon 302 posted      Profile for Monza305   E-mail Monza305   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Faith:
quote:
Originally posted by Monza305:

I feel bad about it, but I lost my temper at a Burger King once. I had ordered my Whopper without tomatoes, and ended up with them. I took the tomatoes off & ate my burger, but I then drove back thru the drive thru. Screamed "I told you NO tomatoes!", then threw the 'maters back thru the window at them. [Roll Eyes]

I'm glad you feel remorse because the part about throwing the food was a truely horrible thing to do. No-one deserves to be assaulted for getting an order wrong. You don't even know if the people you pelted were the exact personnel who screwed up your order (like that would make it okay). Plus, it's totally gutless - it gave the pelted no opportunity for redress, you just drove off.

ETA: Spanked by Michelle.

[dunce] [fish]

I deserve it all and more. I am normally the most easy going guy, ever. The only time I turn into an ass is when I'm starving & something goes wrong with my food. (But I don't normally take it out on the workers). I felt bad about it after it happened, and I still feel really bad about it to this day. Anybody who knows me would never guess that I would do something like that. I've worked food service and I know the person who got pelted probably wasn't responsible. I rarely lose my temper toward a person, but when I do, watch out.

I guess I had to chime in and say that I agree with you...I was an ass & I promise it has/will never happen again.

--------------------
I've got a pen in my pocket does that make me a writer?
Standing on the mountain doesn't make me no higher.
Putting on gloves don't make you a fighter.
And all the study in the world doesn't make it science. -Paul Weller

Posts: 199 | From: Kalamazoo, MI | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ChelleGame

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ChelleGame   E-mail ChelleGame   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Monza305:
I guess I had to chime in and say that I agree with you...I was an ass & I promise it has/will never happen again.

I should have acknowledged that you did say you felt bad at the time. I went to add it, but it was beyond the alloted edit time.

--------------------
Michelle

Posts: 953 | From: Ely, Minnesota | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Eve MG
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eve MG   Author's Homepage   E-mail Eve MG   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Esprise Me:
A few weeks ago, I went to a Dunkin' Donuts with what I thought was a simple order:

Well there's your trouble right there. Bob Ricci has a song that sums up our family's experience at DD: Every Other Time - a parody of the song by LFO (it has a few NFBSK words).

Eve "That Dunkin' Donuts lady, there's something wrong with her... every other time." MG

--------------------
I love dairy! Does that mean I can't be a vegan?

Posts: 1569 | From: Upstate NY | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ThistleSoftware
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ThistleSoftware     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PsychoWoman:
I explained that I understood and prefer to sweeten my own. She said, "That's just dumb and such a waste."

Jesus God, why would a waitress ever think that was a reasonable thing to say to a customer? Disrespectful behavior and idiocy happen on both sides of the counter, unfortunately.

--------------------
Officially Heartless

Posts: 3065 | From: The Montgomery County of the West Coast- Berkeley, CA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
UrbanReindeer
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for UrbanReindeer     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
For my wedding reception, my father rented out the restaurant that some friends of his own. Now, my father and my husband both have Celiac Disease. My father's case is pretty severe, and even cross-contamination will make him quite ill (i.e. french fries fried in the same oil as breaded chicken). Now this was an Italian restaurant, but like I said, the owners were friends of his and promised to make him a special meal.

Reception rolls around and they tell him "Chicken Marsala, chicken will be unfloured." They confirm he has a special order twice while serving the dinner. His Chicken Marsala finally comes out ... neatly served on a bed of rotini pasta. With garlic bread on the side of the plate. [Eek!]

I guess it was another case of "autopilot". They just didn't think to NOT put the pasta and bread on the plate, despite knowing he couldn't have them. If you want a really fun restaurant experience, try asking your server which items on the menu contain wheat. They'll tell myself or my husband he can eat something, and we'll ask "Is there flour in the sauce? How about the mashed potatoes?". Complete crogglement will cross the server's face, and they will adjourn to the kitchen again to consult with the chef.

P.S. All mushroom haters please send me yours. Thank you, that is all.

--------------------
"He feeds the sparrows of the field, but He doesn't sit there and cram worms into their mouths." -- Mouse

Posts: 396 | From: Pasadena, CA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ms. Kringle
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ms. Kringle     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Pinqy, as Jay Tea and Richard W said, if I asked for black I would then specify whether or not I wanted sugar. Black, in my experience, is meant only to describe the color you want your coffee, which you would change by adding cream. Since sugar doesn't change the color at all, I wouldn't expect someone to know whether I wanted sugar when I say I want black coffee.

Maybe it is a UK and CA thing?

Umm, no, not a CA thing.

If I order black coffee out here in Southern California, it comes with NO cream, and NO sugar.

And it's that way from San Diego to the Central Coast.

Maybe it's different in Northern California, but I'd be pretty pissed off if I asked for BLACK coffee, and either got sweet coffee, or light coffee instead.

Ms. 'and incidentally, I prefer it sweet and light' K

--------------------
Beware corporate zombies! They will purchase your brain on E-Bay!

Posts: 2310 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ms. Kringle
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ms. Kringle     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by PsychoWoman:
I explained that I understood and prefer to sweeten my own. She said, "That's just dumb and such a waste."

Jesus God, why would a waitress ever think that was a reasonable thing to say to a customer? Disrespectful behavior and idiocy happen on both sides of the counter, unfortunately.
*sigh*

I agree. And it's behavior like that that really generates my extreme dislike of people.

If I'd had that waitress, I probably would have looked at her like she'd just stepped in from Mars, and asked to speak to her manager.

And said manager would have been told that no, I do not appreciate being told that my sweetener habits are "so stupid" and "just a waste", and that he or she needs to remind said waitress that she is not the arbiter of taste in this establishment.

And then put her tip in the ASPCA box.

--------------------
Beware corporate zombies! They will purchase your brain on E-Bay!

Posts: 2310 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ThistleSoftware
Little Sales Drummer Boy

quote:
Originally posted by Ms. Kringle:
quote:
Pinqy, as Jay Tea and Richard W said, if I asked for black I would then specify whether or not I wanted sugar. Black, in my experience, is meant only to describe the color you want your coffee, which you would change by adding cream. Since sugar doesn't change the color at all, I wouldn't expect someone to know whether I wanted sugar when I say I want black coffee.

Maybe it is a UK and CA thing?

Umm, no, not a CA thing.

If I order black coffee out here in Southern California, it comes with NO cream, and NO sugar.

And it's that way from San Diego to the Central Coast.

Maybe it's different in Northern California, but I'd be pretty pissed off if I asked for BLACK coffee, and either got sweet coffee, or light coffee instead.

Ms. 'and incidentally, I prefer it sweet and light' K

I didn't say black coffee meant you would get sugar, I said black coffee didn't indicate either way whether sugar was desired. If someone asks me for black coffee I can only assume that they don't want lightener, but I wouldn't ever assume that they did want sugar unless they said sugar. I would, however, ask if they wanted sugar if they just said black coffee.

And I'm sorry but I doubt that every coffee server in all of Southern through Central CA sees it exactly as you do, considering that I am originally from the Central Coast and I know several people from Southern CA who only equate black with a lack of lightener, not anything to do with sugar.

--------------------
Officially Heartless

TurquoiseGirl
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TurquoiseGirl   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
You know all this could be avoided could be avoided quite simply: stop drinking coffee! [lol]

No one is ever confused how I want my diet Pepsi...

--------------------
There are people who drive really nice cars who feel that [those] cars won't be as special if other people drive them too. Where I come from, we call those people "selfish self-satisfied gits." -Chloe

Posts: 6995 | From: New Mexico | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Paulie Jay
O Little Down-Payment of Bethlehem

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Paulie Jay     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think we've solved this whole sugar/coffee thing down here in Australia. The customer ALWAYS adds their own sugar.

--------------------
All the way with Paulie Jay

Posts: 476 | From: Sydney, NSW, Australia | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LeaflessMapleTree
The twelve shopping days 'til Christmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LeaflessMapleTree   E-mail LeaflessMapleTree   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
P.S. All mushroom haters please send me yours. Thank you, that is all.
Damn, you beat me to it. Mushrooms are my favourite vegetable!

(Yeah yeah. Fungus. But it seems silly to say that mushrooms are my favourite fungus. They are really the only fungus I love to eat. So I'm saying vegetable.)

--------------------
"For me, religion is like a rhinoceros: I don't have one, and I'd really prefer not to be trampled by yours. But it is impressive, and even beautiful, and, to be honest, the world would be slightly worse off if there weren't any."
-Silas Sparkhammer

Posts: 3239 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
jessboo
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jessboo     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I make a lot of tea and coffee for guests at work. I'd say about 95% will wait to be asked if they want milk and sugar. The rest will ask for 'tea, no sugar', or 'white coffee, 2 sugars'. Why wait? Why, when I ask if you want a drink, do you specify what you want but not how you want it?

--------------------
Join me on Lost - www.lost.eu/edcf

Do you have any wine? All of this would go a lot smoother in an altered state of reality.

Posts: 779 | From: Southampton, England | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TwoGuyswithaHat
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwoGuyswithaHat   E-mail TwoGuyswithaHat   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TurquoiseGirl:

Do you want that with or without ice?

[fish]

--------------------
In politics, absurdity is not a handicap - Napoleon Bonaparte

Posts: 1801 | From: The Forest City, Ontario | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Canuckistan

Icon 506 posted      Profile for Canuckistan   E-mail Canuckistan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
You know all this could be avoided could be avoided quite simply: stop drinking coffee! [lol]

Heretic! Heathen!

quote:
They're more confused that you want it at all. [Razz]

--------------------
People need to stop appropriating Jesus as their reason for behaving badly. It's so irritating. (Avril)

Posts: 8429 | From: New York run by the Swiss (Toronto) | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nonny Mouse, on Santa's laptop
Once in Royal Circuit City

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nonny Mouse, on Santa's laptop   Author's Homepage   E-mail Nonny Mouse, on Santa's laptop   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Canuckistan:
quote:

Heretic! Heathen!
Hear here! Next she'll be expecting congregations to start calling their Coffee Hour "Beverage Of Your Choice Hour" and offering cold drinks! Those herbal-tea-swilling infidels were bad enough!

Nonny

--------------------
When there isn't anything else worth analyzing, we examine our collective navel. I found thirty-six cents in change in mine the other day. Let no one say that there is no profit in philosophy. -- Silas Sparkhammer

Posts: 10141 | From: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Esprise Me

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Esprise Me     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Goodness, I started quite a flurry with the black coffee thing. For the record, Thistles, I have always firmly believed that "black" means "no cream, no sugar." I was aware that other people would sometimes say things like "black, two sugars," but I figured they were just being idiots, like people who say "really unique." I am starting to think, however, that there are enough people out there who think a black coffee can contain sugar that this question is valid. And I can attest from personal experience that Chelle is right about the difficulty of getting out of autopilot on these things; as a bartender, I've accidentally rimmed a few margarita glasses with salt when the customer didn't want it, started to put ice in a glass when a customer wanted a drink with no ice, etc. Still, that doesn't change the fact that the guy in my story had the short-term memory of a goldfish on acid.

Oh, and Eve, thanks for the link! That was hilarious!

I'm also incredulous about the waitress PsychoWoman encountered. If one of my customers ordered unsweetened tea, then put Sweet 'N' Low in it, I would assume the customer didn't want or couldn't have real sugar. (I'm a little skepktical when you say you actually prefer the taste of saccharine, but as your waitress I would refrain from comment at least until you were out of earshot.) It would be highly irresponsible to serve a sugary beverage to someone who might be diabetic, for example.

To everyone who lies about being allergic to foods you find distasteful: this is one of my biggest pet peeves as a server. Our establishment takes food allergies very seriously. There's a special modifier on the keypad when a server punches in an order to indicate the item to be left off, or an item that isn't in the dish but might still come in contact with it, triggers an allergic reaction, and the when this modifier appears on the chit, it's like an alarm goes off in the kitchen. Everyone who has a hand in the preparation (sometimes that's everyone in the station) has to change gloves; tongs, knives, ladles, mixing bowls, cutting boards, saucepans, and prep surfaces need to be thoroughly washed or replaced, and sometimes new bags of lettuce or pasta or whatever have to be opened because there is a risk the others have already been "contaminated" by the offending food item. This slows down the whole process dramatically, causing a longer wait for everyone else's food, but it's worth it if there's a risk of you suffocating after your throat closes up because of some stray peanut dust or garlic residue.

I can't even count the number of times I've had customers tell me they're allergic to something--cilantro, mushrooms, peanuts, tomatoes, walnuts, dairy, you name it--only to hear, after I've told them that said ingredient is integral to the dish they ordered and cannot be left out, that "it's not really that big a deal; I'll just eat around it." Or, I tell them I can leave out the chunks of whatever, but there's a little bit pureed in the sauce, and they say, "but you can't really taste it, right?" So, in other words, you just lied to me about being allergic, right?

I sympathize with people who get upset when food service staff routinely screw up their order, but this is not the solution. As frustrating as it is to think that the person doesn't care that you don't like X, but would care if you were allergic, it's even worse when they don't take allergies seriously, either. Believe me, there are plenty of people out there who think food allergies are psychosomatic at best, a ploy for attention at worst, and some of these people work in food service. We've had to fire a few from our restaurant for not adhering to our safety standards. When you use "allergic to" interchangeably with "strongly put off by," you feed into this wrongheaded perception, and make things more difficult--perhaps even more dangerous--for people with real food allergies.

Instead, I recommed being detailed, honest, polite, and firm. "I do not like mushrooms. In fact, I will not eat them. Please make sure there are none in my pasta." If the pasta comes back with mushrooms in it, or it tastes like it was cooked with mushrooms that were picked out, say, "I'm sorry, I don't want to eat this. Could I have X instead?" Or, "This is not what I ordered. I would like my money back, please." Stand your ground if it's important to you (complain to the higher-ups if necessary); forget about it if it's not (I trashed my sucrose-laced Dunkin' Donuts coffee and braved the stuff at our restaurant that day instead.) But please don't make excuses for your preferences and trivialize real medical conditions.

--------------------
"If God wrote it, the grammar must be infallible. Perhaps it is we who are mistaken." -MapleLeaf

Posts: 977 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
tagurit

Icon 500 posted      Profile for tagurit   E-mail tagurit   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Back when Timmy's were only found the other side of the border I maintained it was a place with sub-par coffee served alongside sub-par bakery goods, by sub-par service individuals. Now we have them here. For some reason I cannot even begin to imagine, they're quite popular. I wonder if it isn't just the concept of a Timmy's that people like. I mean, if they paid attention, would they really still want to pay cash money?

My condolences, MapleLeaf.

--------------------
Explore, enjoy and protect the planet
---
AAMAH

Posts: 8532 | From: Michigan | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
FuzzDuckie
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FuzzDuckie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Now, Ice tea is a different story. First, I'll bypass the horror that in many parts of the US if you ask for tea they'll assume you mean ice tea. But in parts of the South, you automatically get "sweet tea" (pronounced "sweetee") as the default. Sweet tea is made by adding ungodly amounts of sugar to very strong tea while still hot, then later diluted.

pinqy

They're getting better about this in the South. I live in Georgia... and just about every place I've gone to in a sit down type restuarant both here and in NC they DO ask sweet or unsweetened. In Colorado they never asked or gave a choice- there they just give you unsweetened. Might be the deeper south that you auto get sweet tea....

PS I'll join the mushroom lovers club and the coffee haters club.

A pepsi thank you...or sweet tea (egads yes I'm one of those ebil people who likes the stuff!) though sometimes if onlu unsweet is around I'll use Sweet'N'Low (tm).

--------------------
Clever Waste of Time Invasion IV
An unique Riddle adventure.
PM me for more info. I'm on Brain Candy.
Purple Hell- Riddle Tools

Posts: 1551 | From: Georgia | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
MattG
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MattG   E-mail MattG   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Not so much a screwed up order as it is a "you waited until now to tell us that?!"

I was at a McDonald's up in NY state with my hockey team (all of us disabled, some with allergies)so we all make our way inside and Coach asks to speak with the manager and very politely tells him that we have kids that are allergic to latex (there are like 20 people total including parents)and asks them to take off their gloves and throughly wash their hands and prepare our food, after we all get our food and start eating the manager then and only then comes back and asks if any of our guys are allergic to vinyl.... good thing no one is, can you even be allergic to plastic I'm not sure but if you (in this case "works in food service and preps food" you)are unsure would it not be better to ask?

Posts: 61 | From: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
tagurit

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tagurit   E-mail tagurit   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, Matt, it probably didn't occur to the manager until later. At least when it occurred to him, he was concerned and asked. You really can't knock the guy for that, you know.

--------------------
Explore, enjoy and protect the planet
---
AAMAH

Posts: 8532 | From: Michigan | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
MattG
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MattG   E-mail MattG   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This is very true, I just thought about this incident even though it is several years old after reading this thread.
Posts: 61 | From: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sharpened Steel
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sharpened Steel   E-mail Sharpened Steel   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Esprise Me:
To everyone who lies about being allergic to foods you find distasteful: this is one of my biggest pet peeves as a server. Our establishment takes food allergies very seriously. There's a special modifier on the keypad when a server punches in an order to indicate the item to be left off, or an item that isn't in the dish but might still come in contact with it, triggers an allergic reaction, and the when this modifier appears on the chit, it's like an alarm goes off in the kitchen. Everyone who has a hand in the preparation (sometimes that's everyone in the station) has to change gloves; tongs, knives, ladles, mixing bowls, cutting boards, saucepans, and prep surfaces need to be thoroughly washed or replaced, and sometimes new bags of lettuce or pasta or whatever have to be opened because there is a risk the others have already been "contaminated" by the offending food item. This slows down the whole process dramatically, causing a longer wait for everyone else's food, but it's worth it if there's a risk of you suffocating after your throat closes up because of some stray peanut dust or garlic residue.

I can't even count the number of times I've had customers tell me they're allergic to something--cilantro, mushrooms, peanuts, tomatoes, walnuts, dairy, you name it--only to hear, after I've told them that said ingredient is integral to the dish they ordered and cannot be left out, that "it's not really that big a deal; I'll just eat around it." Or, I tell them I can leave out the chunks of whatever, but there's a little bit pureed in the sauce, and they say, "but you can't really taste it, right?" So, in other words, you just lied to me about being allergic, right?

Except that I do actually get sick when my food is not prepared the way I asked for it, for example, without cheese. It's not allergies in the "close up your throat, you're gonna die," kinda of allergy, but it'll cause me severe stomach pains and a night of agony later (sometimes longer). I have this same problem with meat that is not cooked "well done" like I ask for. If there is any red in the meat, I will get sick later. Guaranteed. Since I love steak, giving it up is not an option that I could stick to. Is it wrong for me to tell the server that I will get sick from the pink meat the third time they bring it back? That's not an allergy, so does that mean they shouldn't take it as seriously?

I'm not one of those people who asks for something where the food I dislike is a part of it and "eat around it". If the cheese is intregal to the dish, I'll order something else. If it's something I can eat around, I don't tell the server I'm allergic. That only happens if they decide to give me a hard time about it. It prevents the inevitable, "just try it, you'll like it," or "you won't even taste the cheese".

Besides, it's not usually servers that I claim allergies to because they're not the ones asking. It's my friends and family who are convinced that it's not the cheese I don't like, it's just that I haven't found something with cheese that I do like. Which is bull, because I like things with mild cheese. If they keep pushing me, telling them I'm lactose intolerant shuts them up.

--------------------
Get used to his bad habits and decide whether you can put up with them...the rest of your life. 'Cause if you don't, then one day, you find yourself in the shed, sharpening the axe and idly wondering how thick the human skull really is.
-ChickyBee

Posts: 64 | From: Bristol, Rhode Island/Columbia, Maryland | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages