snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » Rantidote » You screwed up my sandwich - twice - and yet you get mad at me? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: You screwed up my sandwich - twice - and yet you get mad at me?
Griffin at the Maul
Joyeux New Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Griffin at the Maul     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My worst experience is as follows: when we lived North of Houston (officially Conroe, but closer to The Woodlands), there was a Pizza Inn delivery store the next exit down the freeway (about 1.5 miles from the apartment). Every time I called I would ask if they delivered to our address, to these apartments(that was mainly because I could never remember which location I was calling). The answer was always yes.

Well, we got our deliveries with no problem exactly twice, then it went downhill. I called and ordered, verifying that they delivered to our address. Expected delivery time was 35-45 minutes (this was a Friday evening). Just over one hour later, I called back. The pizza was supposedly on its way.

GREAT!

45 minutes later, I call again. I ask for the manager, and tell her (once I get her on the phone...after holding for 15+ minutes- I think she was out smoking) that I ordered pizza over two hours ago, and it has still not arrived. I called about an hour ago, I explained, and it was supposedly on its way. What is going on with my pizza?

Her response - "We do not deliver there."

Now I am upset.
She was the person who took my order originally. She was the one who verified that they DO deliver here.
She could not explain to me why their delivery area changed in the two hours since I had placed my order, she could not explain why she (or an employee) had not phoned to tell me that they would not deliver my pizza. When I asked her how the hell I was supposed to know that the pizza that I had ordered at 7:45 was not going to be delivered so that I could make other arrangements prior to all of the restaurants in the area closing (since it was almost 10 by then), she hung up on me. I tried to call back, but every time she answered the phone, she hung up on me again....it took tremendous effort on Griffette's part to prevent me from driving to the location and strangling a manager.

Time passes, we call again (they are the only pizza delivery that is close to this location and I see delivery vehicles in the parking lot all the time. We get our pizza, no problem.

We call again. . .no pizza, no call, no nothing.

We call the final time. This time, when the pizza never comes, I get in the car and drive up there. All of the employees are out back smoking. I walk in the front door and am standing in the middle of the kitchen when they come in from their cigarettes. On the wall is the map of the delivery area. My apartment complex is on the far north of their delivery area, but it is inside the line that marks the edge. Both cash registers sit unattended. I am briefly tempted to empty them, but decide against it. Needless to say, the manager is rather upset that I am in "her" kitchen. I tell her that I want my pizza, I want it now, and I WILL NOT pay for it. She gets upset, and tells me to leave, or she is calling the police. I leave for a few minutes, but only to prevent me from committing heinous bodily injury to a person. I walk back inside, and once again, they are all out smoking. This time a driver comes in and sees me standing in the kitchen. I tell him that I would like the name and number to the General Manager, as well as the District and Regional managers, and the store number of this location. He goes and gets Psycho Manager(tm). She tells me that the District Managers name is Tim (name changed to protect the innocent), but she does not have, and cannot give me his phone number. And she will not give me the General Manager's name.

So, I call another location that is not far away. I ask for the manager. I explain part of the situation (briefly) and if he knows if the two locations are in the same District or Region. He gives me the cellphone number to the Regional manager. I left a message for him that night, and he called me back the next day. I explained the situation (in great detail, leaving absolutely nothing out). He ended up sending me a stack of free pizza coupons, and the Psycho Manager was terminated. We moved away from there not long afterwards, and now we live int he land of pizza choice... I have 5 different places that will deliver to my house.

--------------------
Where are we going, and why are we in this handbasket?

Posts: 782 | From: Arlington, TX | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
pinqy
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pinqy   E-mail pinqy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Wait, so if you ordered a black coffee, you'd expect them to put sugar in it? Forgive me if I find that odd.

pinqy

--------------------
Don't Forget!
Winter Solstice Hanukkah Christmas Kwanzaa & Gurnenthar's Ascendance Are Coming!

Posts: 8671 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay Tea
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Tea   E-mail Jay Tea   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
No way in fourteen suns does 'black coffee' also describe the nature of the buyers sweet tooth [lol] You ask for your coffee black 'then' you add your sugar requirements to youyr order eg: Black, no sugar

--------------------
This is where I come up with something right? Something really clever...

Posts: 6552 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ChelleGame
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ChelleGame   E-mail ChelleGame   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
There are clearly incompetent people in all walks of life, but I'm missing how assaulting someone is helping matters. The kitchen adds tomatoes so the drive-thru person gets pelted?

LOL, memories of why I hated fast food -- fearing for my safety because the people in the kitchen screwed up. People do take their Whoppers seriously.

--------------------
Michelle

Posts: 953 | From: Ely, Minnesota | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Faith
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Faith     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Monza305:

I feel bad about it, but I lost my temper at a Burger King once. I had ordered my Whopper without tomatoes, and ended up with them. I took the tomatoes off & ate my burger, but I then drove back thru the drive thru. Screamed "I told you NO tomatoes!", then threw the 'maters back thru the window at them. [Roll Eyes]

I'm glad you feel remorse because the part about throwing the food was a truely horrible thing to do. No-one deserves to be assaulted for getting an order wrong. You don't even know if the people you pelted were the exact personnel who screwed up your order (like that would make it okay). Plus, it's totally gutless - it gave the pelted no opportunity for redress, you just drove off.

ETA: Spanked by Michelle.

--------------------
"You watched it. You can't UNWATCH it."

Posts: 1646 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Richard W

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard W   E-mail Richard W   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by pinqy:
Wait, so if you ordered a black coffee, you'd expect them to put sugar in it? Forgive me if I find that odd.

pinqy

Well, no - but I would expect them to ask me whether I wanted sugar.

In the UK, as Jay Tea said, "black coffee" just means "without milk". I've never heard it to mean "without sugar" too. Clearly to some in the USA it does mean that, though...

It's a moot point here anyway, as coffee shops usually have sachets of sugar separately, so you're given it unsweetened and can add your own sugar to taste. If somebody else is making it for you, "Black with one sugar" would be a reasonable thing to ask for.

Posts: 8725 | From: Ipswich - the UK's 9th Best Place to Sleep! | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brad from Georgia

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brad from Georgia   Author's Homepage   E-mail Brad from Georgia   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought everyone had already agreed that "The customer is always right" is ruining the country. So those companies that foul up your order and then are angry at you because of their mistake are just doing their job to keep the USA (or Canada, or the UK, etc.) strong.

--------------------
"No hard feelin's and HOPpy New Year!"--Walt Kelly
Hear what you're missing: ARTC podcasts! http://artcpodcast.org/

Posts: 7581 | From: Gainesville, Georgia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Canuckistan

Icon 304 posted      Profile for Canuckistan   E-mail Canuckistan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brad from Georgia:
I thought everyone had already agreed that "The customer is always right" is ruining the country. So those companies that foul up your order and then are angry at you because of their mistake are just doing their job to keep the USA (or Canada, or the UK, etc.) strong.

Just because "The customer is always right" is ruining the country, doesn't mean that the company is always right, too.

I can't believe you support employees spitting in MapleLeaf's sandwiches, Brad. You probably kick puppies, too. [Roll Eyes]

[Razz]

--------------------
People need to stop appropriating Jesus as their reason for behaving badly. It's so irritating. (Avril)

Posts: 8429 | From: New York run by the Swiss (Toronto) | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ThistleSoftware
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ThistleSoftware     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Pinqy, as Jay Tea and Richard W said, if I asked for black I would then specify whether or not I wanted sugar. Black, in my experience, is meant only to describe the color you want your coffee, which you would change by adding cream. Since sugar doesn't change the color at all, I wouldn't expect someone to know whether I wanted sugar when I say I want black coffee.

Maybe it is a UK and CA thing?

--------------------
Officially Heartless

Posts: 3065 | From: The Montgomery County of the West Coast- Berkeley, CA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sharpened Steel
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sharpened Steel   E-mail Sharpened Steel   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

It's the "always" that makes that statement destructive. No, the customer is not always right. Especially when they use that as an excuse to be rude. On the other hand, the service is not always right either. And getting rude because they think the customer is wrong is just as bad as a customer getting rude because of a single mistake. It's the behavior that follows the mistake that bothers me personally. Obviously, I can't speak for others.

Edit- Spanked by Canuckistan

--------------------
Get used to his bad habits and decide whether you can put up with them...the rest of your life. 'Cause if you don't, then one day, you find yourself in the shed, sharpening the axe and idly wondering how thick the human skull really is.
-ChickyBee

Posts: 64 | From: Bristol, Rhode Island/Columbia, Maryland | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TwoGuyswithaHat
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwoGuyswithaHat   E-mail TwoGuyswithaHat   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ThistleSoftware:
Pinqy, as Jay Tea and Richard W said, if I asked for black I would then specify whether or not I wanted sugar. Black, in my experience, is meant only to describe the color you want your coffee, which you would change by adding cream.

But the examples given all indicate that you want a black coffee and then you indicate what you want in it (i.e. 2 sugars). But if you're just saying black coffee and make no mention of sugar, why would you expect to add sugar?

Saying you want your coffee black with sugar is markedly different than saying you just want it black.

--------------------
In politics, absurdity is not a handicap - Napoleon Bonaparte

Posts: 1801 | From: The Forest City, Ontario | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ica171
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ica171   E-mail ica171   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
First, as to the black coffee: this thread is the first place I've ever heard it mentioned that black coffee would mean something other than the liquid you get from brewing ground coffee beans and water. It's up to the customer to add sugar or cream to their taste. Of course, I don't drink much coffee and I'd therefore never go somewhere that might add sugar to it before the customer gets it.

Fast food places drive me crazy. I cannot remember the last time I went to a Taco Bell and received the correct order. No matter how many times I tell DH (as he's usually driving or the one who goes out after the food) to stop and check the order before he leaves the drive thru line, he doesn't. He doesn't want to inconvenience the other drivers, I guess, but I would bet he'd feel terribly inconvenienced if I started making him go back. The Burger King down the street currently owes me two Hershey pies because of this.

The whole "I don't owe you respect unless you earn it from me" attitude is just ridiculous. What if the cashiers you (generic) take such joy in berating suddenly adopted that attitude? Surely hilarity would ensue.

Posts: 384 | From: Iowa | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Gibbie
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gibbie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm from an area that uses regular to mean the opposite of decaf. The first time I visited Tim Horton's I ordered a regular coffee black. Guy must have been thinking "Stupid Americans!!"

Gibbie

--------------------
If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.

Posts: 3993 | From: Indiana | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Richard W

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard W   E-mail Richard W   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TwoGuyswithaHat:
But if you're just saying black coffee and make no mention of sugar, why would you expect to add sugar?

I wouldn't expect them to add sugar - I'd expect them to ask.

If I want a black coffee with no sugar (which is how I usually drink it) then I ask for "black, no sugar". If I wanted a black coffee with two sugars then I'd ask for "black, two sugars". If I just said "black" then I would expect the person to ask if I took sugar.

Posts: 8725 | From: Ipswich - the UK's 9th Best Place to Sleep! | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dog Friendly
Carol of the Bills

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dog Friendly   Author's Homepage   E-mail Dog Friendly   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
In California, the convention is that "black" coffee is straight from the machine, with no additives of any kind. So far, at least, even in California we're not expected to refer to "black coffee" as "African-American beverage of color".

Not that any Californian would ever drink such a thing; we're all far too infatuated with our macchiatos, Americanos, cappuccinos, frappuccinos and double-decaf lattes.

I, too, cannot abide mushrooms. It's not that I have a medical issue with them, I just don't like them.

I got a free meal once. I had ordered a dish that did not list mushrooms on the menu. When it arrived, mushrooms were the single most prominent item in the dish, by volume. I asked the server for a menu, showed her that mushrooms were not listed (while the other ingredients were), and explained that I "had a problem" with mushrooms, while gesturing vaguely towards my stomach. She apologized, agreed that there was a problem with the menu, and let me order something else for free. No huhu.

I would be very wary of eating anything prepared out of my sight after I'd been verbally abusive towards a server. That's not prudent.

I eat a lot of meals in restaurants, and have had occasional disputes about food preparation or delays. I make it a point to be scrupulously polite and calm, and so far I've never needed to go further.

If that ever doesn't work my fallback plan will be to calmly and politely ask for the on-duty supervisor's business card or name, jot down a brief synopsis of the dispute, ask them if they agree with my description of the disagreement, pay, get a copy of my receipt and leave.

Monza, you might want to work on directing your anger where it will do the most good, rather than just letting your feelings out.

Dog ("Waiter, there's a fly in my soup") Friendly

--------------------
"Nobody ever got stoned and beat up his old lady" -- Spence, snapdragonfly's friend

Posts: 768 | From: North Hollywood, CA | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BeachLife
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 211 posted      Profile for BeachLife   Author's Homepage   E-mail BeachLife   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Richard W:
quote:
But if you're just saying black coffee and make no mention of sugar, why would you expect to add sugar?

I wouldn't expect them to add sugar - I'd expect them to ask.

If I want a black coffee with no sugar (which is how I usually drink it) then I ask for "black, no sugar". If I wanted a black coffee with two sugars then I'd ask for "black, two sugars". If I just said "black" then I would expect the person to ask if I took sugar.

But if they didn't ask, wouldn't you expect to get it without sugar?

--------------------
Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone.
Jack Dragon, On Being a Dragon
Confessions of a Dragon's scribe
Diary of my Heart Surgery

Posts: 12094 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
MaxKaladin
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MaxKaladin   E-mail MaxKaladin   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have so much trouble with this. I've found a few places that actually manage to get my order right most of the time and try to limit my fast food buying to them. Some of them have the food prep area situated such that I can see what they're packing from the window and that helps a bunch.

I know fast food is not a well-paid or rewarding career but it's like they're not even trying. It's amazing how I can carefully give an order yet the person taking the order cannot seem to get those few simple words through their head. You order with this or without that and it never seems to register. You have to go over it and over it until everything finally registers. It shouldn't be that hard. This isn't rocket science, people! I'm sure Doug can confirm that for us.

I've had all the usual problems with trying to get food made differently. One Long John Silvers in St. Louis impressed me by managing to get _every_ _single_ _aspect_ of the order wrong. I ordered a fish and shrimp meal, substituted fries for the cole slaw and ordered extra hush puppies. The meal I got was chicken and shrimp, had extra slaw and no fries, no extra hush puppies, fewer hush puppies than the regular meal came with and extra shrimp beyond what the meal was supposed to come with. I'd asked for shrimp sauce and tartar sauce and got ketchup. I suppose that's what I get for showing up five minutes before closing time.

Two of the worst problems I have are condiments and drinks.

I don't drink anything but water and, occasionally, orange juice. This seems to just blow the minds of the people in fast food. They just can't seem to get it through their head that I don't want a fracking soda. They keep trying to push it on me. Often, I don't want a drink at all because I've already made provisions for my own water and this confuses them even more. It seems to just blow their minds that someone would order a hamburger without any drink at all. Once I've refused a drink a couple of times, they always seem to assume it's because I'm being cheap and they start to explain how it's actually cheaper to buy the meal with a soda. If I'm trying to get water, they assume I'm too cheap to pay for the soda and give me the same sales pitch about the "value" meal. At least I usually do get no drink or get water. They're not as pushy about it as they were a decade or two ago. Before the bottled water thing took off several years back, asking for water got you a reaction like if you'd asked for a nice cold glass of battery acid or something. Asking for no drink at all was just about as bad. At least now people are more open to the idea that people drink water so it isn't so bad.

Condiments are another problem. Many places like to just dump a bunch of condiments on you without asking. I'm not going to use most of these things (usually all of them). I don't see any reason why someone should go to all the effort to pump oil out of the ground, ship it halfway around the world, make it into plastic, shape it into a container and fill it with soy sauce, salsa or ketchup just so I can take it and throw it in the trash somewhere unopened. I always ask them to not give me the condiments I don't intend to use. You'd think I'm asking them to swallow tacks or something. It's not like I'm asking them to do something that requires more effort. They just have to omit the step in their routine where they throw a bunch of extra stuff in the bag. Is that really such a huge imposition?

After all that griping, I want to give kudos to the ladies who work the Subway in the nearest cafeteria here at work. They pride themselves on knowing my order perfectly. When they see me walk in the cafeteria, they'll have my sandwitch started and in the toasting oven by the time I get there if there are no people in line. It's very good service!

Posts: 716 | From: San Antonio, TX | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ThistleSoftware
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ThistleSoftware     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Pinqy, as Jay Tea and Richard W said, if I asked for black I would then specify whether or not I wanted sugar. Black, in my experience, is meant only to describe the color you want your coffee, which you would change by adding cream.

But the examples given all indicate that you want a black coffee and then you indicate what you want in it (i.e. 2 sugars). But if you're just saying black coffee and make no mention of sugar, why would you expect to add sugar?

Saying you want your coffee black with sugar is markedly different than saying you just want it black.

Saying you want it black bears no relation on whether or not you want sugar. It only tells the server whether or not you want creamer. If you just say "Black coffee" then if I were the server I would ask if you wanted sugar, which I would also ask if you said "Coffee with cream." "Black" does not indicate any sugar preference at all.

ETA: I think I see why this is confusing. In my original post, I quoted Esprise Me, who upon being asked if he wanted sugar in his black coffee said "No, BLACK" or something to that effect. I was merely trying to point out that re-emphasizing that he wanted black coffee was not necessary as black does not indicate no sugar, at least not to everyone. I was not trying to say that black would normally have sugar.

Sorry to have caused such a thread derailment over a fairly minor point.

--------------------
Officially Heartless

Posts: 3065 | From: The Montgomery County of the West Coast- Berkeley, CA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NancyFancyPants
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NancyFancyPants     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Troberg:
And I agree. Mushrooms are not fit for human consumption. [/QB]

Finally, something upon which you and I agree. *sigh* A merry and 'shroom-free Christmas to you.

Leaf, we have a similar knife problem with a local caterer we use pretty frequently for meetings. It seems they use the same knife to cut onions and fruit. There's not much nastier that can be done to your taste buds than to have them expecting pineapple, then coating them with the juice of a red onion. We give this caterer a LOT of business and have complained many times, but it still happens occasionally.

--------------------
And on the 7th day, God said, "Let there be lips!"

Posts: 296 | From: Munhall, PA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TwoGuyswithaHat
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwoGuyswithaHat   E-mail TwoGuyswithaHat   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Saying you want it black bears no relation on whether or not you want sugar. It only tells the server whether or not you want creamer. If you just say "Black coffee" then if I were the server I would ask if you wanted sugar, which I would also ask if you said "Coffee with cream." "Black" does not indicate any sugar preference at all.

Why ask at all if the customer does not specify? If I ordered coffee with cream I'd think you a little odd to ask me if I wanted that with sugar.

--------------------

Posts: 1801 | From: The Forest City, Ontario | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
STF
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for STF   Author's Homepage   E-mail STF   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Actually when I order coffee "black" I don't expect anything to be put in it. I thought that's what "black" meant.

--------------------
STF on MySpace

Posts: 5186 | From: Coweta County, GA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ThistleSoftware
Little Sales Drummer Boy

TwoGuyswithaHat: Uh, because I'm a good server and I like to make sure I'm getting exactly what the customer (or in my current job, client/ guest) wants. It's useless to assume anything when you're serving someone else food. When someone tells me whether or not they want cream, I don't assume that has anything to do with whether or not they want sugar.

MaxKaladin: I too dislike soda. When I was a kid in the late 80s/ early 90s, it was like pulling teeth trying to get anything other than soda. I usually wanted milk, which no one ever had, and if not that then water. It never ceased to annoy me how difficult it was to get a simple freakin glass of water.

--------------------
Officially Heartless

Ana Ng

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ana Ng   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ica171:
The Burger King down the street currently owes me two Hershey pies because of this.

Please share with the class how they screwed up a Hershey Pie. Did they stomp on the little triangular box?

--------------------
My great grandfather planted that tree!

Posts: 4862 | From: Brooklyn | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TwoGuyswithaHat
Happy Holly Days

quote:
TwoGuyswithaHat: Uh, because I'm a good server and I like to make sure I'm getting exactly what the customer (or in my current job, client/ guest) wants. It's useless to assume anything when you're serving someone else food. When someone tells me whether or not they want cream, I don't assume that has anything to do with whether or not they want sugar.

That seems to be a rather patronizing attitude --not to me, but to the customer -- if they are clever enough to specify cream, they would be just as clever as to say they want sugar in their coffee. People who regularly drink coffee, usually do so at least once a day, so it's not as if they've suddenly forgotten how they drink it.

--------------------

pinqy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pinqy   E-mail pinqy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Now, Ice tea is a different story. First, I'll bypass the horror that in many parts of the US if you ask for tea they'll assume you mean ice tea. But in parts of the South, you automatically get "sweet tea" (pronounced "sweetee") as the default. Sweet tea is made by adding ungodly amounts of sugar to very strong tea while still hot, then later diluted.

pinqy

--------------------
Don't Forget!
Winter Solstice Hanukkah Christmas Kwanzaa & Gurnenthar's Ascendance Are Coming!

Posts: 8671 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ThistleSoftware
Little Sales Drummer Boy

quote:
quote:

That seems to be a rather patronizing attitude --not to me, but to the customer -- if they are clever enough to specify cream, they would be just as clever as to say they want sugar in their coffee. People who regularly drink coffee, usually do so at least once a day, so it's not as if they've suddenly forgotten how they drink it.
You have got to be kidding me. This thread is about servers screwing up orders and you're chastizing me for going that extra step to make sure I get people's orders right? Yes, you would think people would remember to say they want sugar, yet every day at least one person who hasn't specified says yes when I ask if they want sugar. Isn't it better to just ask than to go with whatever they said and then have it be wrong?

--------------------
Officially Heartless

STF

Icon 1 posted      Profile for STF   Author's Homepage   E-mail STF   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Logically I agree with you TwoGuyswithaHat, but I do think it's easier and better to be double sure instead of the alternative.

--------------------
STF on MySpace

Posts: 5186 | From: Coweta County, GA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ChelleGame

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ChelleGame   E-mail ChelleGame   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MaxKaladin:
They just have to omit the step in their routine where they throw a bunch of extra stuff in the bag. Is that really such a huge imposition?

Yes. [Wink] (Well, not an imposition)

Absolutely they should make your order in just the way that you want it, and it's up to them to really think about what they're doing.

That being said, have you ever done a repetitious task for a long stretch of time, to the point that it becomes rote? Try to cut out a step, and you might find it easier said than done -- even if you are an intelligent human being.

I used to have a job where I wrapped gifts, and the regular tape dispenser, that was bolted to the counter, broke. I knew it was broken, and I had another dispenser right next to me, but would consistently reach for tape where it had been for years before. More than once on the same package, knowing it was broken, hand still reaching like it's a phantom limb.

Again, it's up to them to get it, but I can see someone hearing exactly what you said, and still making you a soda. Part of efficiency is routine, but unfortunately when a person needs to break from the norm that efficiency could suffer.

I know back when I was a kid at BK, I could place an order for a customer exactly right, submit it to the kitchen, and have them make it wrong. The customer would yell at me, even though the receipt read right. Sometimes the kitchen person was a moron, but sometimes it was just that hardwired behavior of how a sandwich was made overriding what they had just read the customer wanted. I mean, they logically knew the customer did not want pickles, but their hand reached for the pickles anyhow -- and even if they removed the pickles, for a particular customer that might be unacceptable.

--------------------
Michelle

Posts: 953 | From: Ely, Minnesota | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TwoGuyswithaHat
Happy Holly Days

quote:
You have got to be kidding me. This thread is about servers screwing up orders and you're chastizing me for going that extra step to make sure I get people's orders right? Yes, you would think people would remember to say they want sugar, yet every day at least one person who hasn't specified says yes when I ask if they want sugar. Isn't it better to just ask than to go with whatever they said and then have it be wrong?

There is a difference between screwing up and order as what happened in MapleLeaf's case and patronizing the customer with something so simple as coffee. As a server, can you truly mess up an order if you give the customer exactly what they've ordered?

--------------------

ChelleGame

quote:
Originally posted by Ana Ng:
quote:
Originally posted by ica171:
The Burger King down the street currently owes me two Hershey pies because of this.

Please share with the class how they screwed up a Hershey Pie. Did they stomp on the little triangular box?
My guess is did not include it, or that the pie is used to sweeten up a disgruntled customer.

--------------------
Michelle

ThistleSoftware
Little Sales Drummer Boy

quote:
quote:

There is a difference between screwing up and order as what happened in MapleLeaf's case and patronizing the customer with something so simple as coffee. As a server, can you truly mess up an order if you give the customer exactly what they've ordered?
If you would really be offended by someone asking a simple question to make sure they're getting you exactly what you want (instead of exactly what you asked for) then I don't know what to tell you. I can only imagine the kind of hell you must put servers through when they do make mistakes.

--------------------
Officially Heartless

Hero_Mike
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hero_Mike         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
In defence of Thistles, I too think that black coffee refers to its colour, and not to its sweetness. It's probably 50/50 in culture, which means that nobody needs to claim being "right" or "wrong" about this.

However, TwoGuyswithaHat, there is nothing rude or patronizing to say that you want your coffee "black, no sugar", or "black, two sugars", or like my uncle, "black with one package of Splenda". More information than the bare minimum is *not* patronizing.

--------------------
"The fate of *billions* depends on you! Hahahahaha....sorry." Lord Raiden - Mortal Kombat

Posts: 1587 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LeaflessMapleTree
The twelve shopping days 'til Christmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LeaflessMapleTree   E-mail LeaflessMapleTree   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Canuckistan:
quote:

Just because "The customer is always right" is ruining the country, doesn't mean that the company is always right, too.

I can't believe you support employees spitting in MapleLeaf's sandwiches, Brad. You probably kick puppies, too. [Roll Eyes]

[Razz]

[Confused] Where did the notion of anyone spitting in my food come in?

--------------------
"For me, religion is like a rhinoceros: I don't have one, and I'd really prefer not to be trampled by yours. But it is impressive, and even beautiful, and, to be honest, the world would be slightly worse off if there weren't any."
-Silas Sparkhammer

Posts: 3239 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TwoGuyswithaHat
Happy Holly Days

quote:
If you would really be offended by someone asking a simple question to make sure they're getting you exactly what you want (instead of exactly what you asked for) then I don't know what to tell you. I can only imagine the kind of hell you must put servers through when they do make mistakes.

I can only presume that whatever you imagine would be incorrect.

Having worked in customer service my entire career thus far I'm pretty lenient when it comes to those working in the same industry. However, I do become annoyed when a.) I'm treated like an idiot and b.) being asked all kinds of personal information at the till without being told why they want it.

--------------------

TwoGuyswithaHat
Happy Holly Days

quote:
Originally posted by Hero_Mike:
However, TwoGuyswithaHat, there is nothing rude or patronizing to say that you want your coffee "black, no sugar", or "black, two sugars", or like my uncle, "black with one package of Splenda". More information than the bare minimum is *not* patronizing.

Oh yes, I'm aware that to specify what you want in your coffee is not patronzing. However, I would find it rather patronizing to be asked if I want sugar in my coffee if I did not specifically ask for sugar.

quote:
Originally posted by LeaflessMapleTree:
quote:
Originally posted by Canuckistan:

[Razz]

[Confused] Where did the notion of anyone spitting in my food come in?
Just don't leave your sanwhich unattended with Canuckistan around on Saturday. That's all I'm saying  -

--------------------

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages