snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » Rantidote » I wish I could get ahold of those who have recently dumped cats here....

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I wish I could get ahold of those who have recently dumped cats here....
happyholidaysfrog
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for happyholidaysfrog   Author's Homepage   E-mail happyholidaysfrog   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd give them a peice of my mind and then some. Lately there have been a string of cats dumped and there is one right now under the blue spruce in the front yard mewing pitifully in the chilly wet.

It breaks my heart. I like kitties and I hate seeing them suffer. You can tell the dumped cats because they are the one's who know what it means to go inside a house and get warm. They are super lovey and just want to be inside and full. What kind of crappy low life scummy people would dump a poor kitty in the cold like that? I hope there is a chilly corner of hell they can shiver and be hungrey in.

My dad has a strict rule, no feeding stray cats, and little brother is horribly allergic to cats, it sets off his asthma terribly, so even though I would love to I can't save these kitties. Everybody I know already has cats or doesn't want them at all. The neighbors have a big pole barn and they put food out for some outdoor cats, their little girl took the kitty and showed it the food, so hopefully it won't starve.

So anyone want a kitty? it's a real pretty black and orange kind of tortishell, and it's personality is sweet and right now it looks pretty healthy.

I'd drive it anywhere that isn't more then an hour from Anderson IN.

--------------------
~All we see or seem is but a dream within a dream~
E.A.Poe

Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today.
~James Dean~

Posts: 516 | From: Anderson, Indiana | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
dfresh
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dfresh   E-mail dfresh   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I noticed two new cats in my yard this morning, drinking some of the water I put out for the chickens. One is adult, the other was pretty small so is probably her kitten. I wonder if they were both dumped, or just the mother, who gave birth out in our yard somewhere.
We now have at least 4 cats living in our yard and the barn foundation. We are going to put out food this winter, and try to get them used to us, then use a live-trap to catch them and make sure they are fixed/shot so hopefully we don't end up with more kittens. It is sad...but at least it gives my inside cats something to watch out the window (besides the chickens.)

Posts: 420 | From: Oxford, PA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brillo Bee
Wii Three Kings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brillo Bee     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Grrrr.... dumping pets makes me so angry. Poor kitty. Is there a shelter where you can take it? Some shelters have fees, but sometimes if they believe you that the cat was dropped off by someone else, they won't charge you. I'd call around...

Bee

--------------------
People do not wish to appear foolish; to avoid the appearance of foolishness, they are willing to remain actually fools. -Alice Walker

Posts: 335 | From: Minnesota | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
The Year Without A SeaPea
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Year Without A SeaPea   E-mail The Year Without A SeaPea   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Are any of these near you? Maybe they can help.

--------------------
you can't fight biology...

Posts: 301 | From: New York | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
happyholidaysfrog
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for happyholidaysfrog   Author's Homepage   E-mail happyholidaysfrog   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't know of any no-kill shelters, or I would take them.

--------------------
E.A.Poe

~James Dean~

Posts: 516 | From: Anderson, Indiana | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Clarity
Toys to the World

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Clarity   E-mail Clarity   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
this kind of thing is how we ended up with nine cats... someone dumped a pregnant female, she had six kittens, we only found homes for three of them, plus we already had five cats, and most of them were former refugees from other homes too! That doesn't even count the couple of ferals that hang around as well. We have never intentionally acquired a cat.
It's crazy how people think they can just dump a living creature like that. No kill shelters are the best but even a regular one will try to place an animal. I don't like it, but if they have to, euthanasia is painless unlike dying of starvation or cold after being abandoned. The problem is that all these take time and effort on the part of the owner, when they can just dump them. It makes me so angry!
Sorry, rambling. I'd help you if I lived closer- my family volunteers at and sends money to a bunch of no-kill shelters here. Are you certain there's no cat-rescue operation near you?

Edit: I just looked up no-kill shelters in Indiana. Found two of them:

Fried's Cat Shelter in Michigan City

Helping Paws Pet Haven in Huntington

I'm a little fuzzy on distance around there, so I have no idea if they're within reasonable distance to you. Also don't know if they're currently accepting new cats. But it might be worth contacting them to ask.

--------------------
Kevin: Pink Bunkadoo?
Randall: Yeah. Beautiful tree that was. Og designed it. 600 feet high, bright red, and smelled terrible.

Posts: 71 | From: Portland, Oregon | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
The Year Without A SeaPea
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Year Without A SeaPea   E-mail The Year Without A SeaPea   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Huh, my link above appears not to be working. Strange. Try this one instead.

--------------------
you can't fight biology...

Posts: 301 | From: New York | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
happyholidaysfrog
Jingle Bell Hock

Thanks for the links seapea and clarity, tomorrow I will call around the shelters close enough and I will find someplace the kitty can go.

I feel so guilty walking past it and it mews so pitifully.

--------------------
E.A.Poe

~James Dean~

mrs.hi-c clown fishies
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mrs.hi-c clown fishies     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Our kitty was a dump-off. It amazes me how sweet and lovable he is, and yet someone out there didn't want him? Sheesh.

--------------------
This song has no title...just words and a tune.

Instant Hi-C--Just add water...

Posts: 1620 | From: Michigan | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Winter Morning
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Winter Morning     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My new feline in residence was found abandoned in the K-mart parking lot. She was 12 ounces in weight at 12 weeks old (age estimate by the vet based on which teeth had come in.) She had ear mites, an upper respiratory infection, fleas, and worms.

Today, 6 weeks later at the follow-up appointment for her last vaccinations, she weighed 4.25 pounds. No parasites. No infection.

The people who dumped her = losers.

Of course, that means I'm the winner for getting such a wonderful pet!

Morning

Max, He Who Must be Fed First, has even started to accept her. Except if she gets in the way of the food bowls. Or is sleeping in one of the good places. Or if she looks at him funny.

Posts: 321 | From: Ohio (Land of Good Morning) | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
smackmac
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for smackmac     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
All of my cats save one have been abandoned or rescued.

I don't understand what's so hard about 1) getting your pets fixed so that they don't reproduce more pets that will end up needing a home or abandoned; and 2) taking them to a shelter when you don't want them and can't find a friend to take them, even if it's not a no-kill shelter.

I'm not sure about Indiana, but I know shelters around here that will take pets with a minimal donation (basically what you can afford).

My husband rescued 3 cats, a mom & 2 kittens (mom, Dazed & Confused), from one of his "friends" who thought it was cool to shoot at the strays that were dumped at his farm(needless to say, not friends any longer). Because we had 3 cats of our own at the time, we made them a nice home on our sunporch, complete with cat door and heated house. The mom ran away. Winter became very harsh, so we brought the remaining kittens, who were pretty wild, into the house, where eventually they acclimated to our cats. So much so that Confused & Sabbath got busy within the two days they were together before Sabbath was neutered. So I ended up with 5 kittens. I placed 3 of them, but could not place anymore. At this time, Confused started fighting with all of the other cats and leaving little presents for me places I didn't want. So we took Confused & the remaining kittens to the local shelter, which wasn't no-kill at the time. We gave them $50. They tried to guilt me by saying that Confused would most likely be put down, but I had 4 cats and I couldn't deal with one that thought the world was her litter box.

I did feel guilty, but then I thought she had a year of a loving family, when she most likely would have been roadkill or target practice if we hadn't rescued her for that short time.

--------------------
"Maybe getting in the last word doesn't really mean you win." - The Clarks

Posts: 486 | From: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brillo Bee
Wii Three Kings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brillo Bee     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
happyfrog, I can understand why you would prefer a no-kill shelter, but I would think that if you can't find one, a shelter that does do euthanasia is preferable to leaving this kitty outside without shelter. It seems to me that death by starvation, freezing, car, or predator is much worse than euthanasia. Just my opinion, you might disagree.

Good luck, whatever you do!
Bee

--------------------
People do not wish to appear foolish; to avoid the appearance of foolishness, they are willing to remain actually fools. -Alice Walker

Posts: 335 | From: Minnesota | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Elkhound
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elkhound         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Our Zane was a dumped cat. He appeared in my father's neighborhood one summer. Neutered & declawed. In spite of having no front claws, he was able to catch birds, mice, and squirrels and do quite well until things started getting cold, when father decided to take him in. He was a fully-grown cat, about 2 years old the Vet estimated.

As soon as he realized that the food bowl would be there, he ate and ate and ate (father free-fed him with an automatic dispenser for a while) until he came to resemble a furry soccer ball with legs. We've started to apportion his meals, so he's down to looking like a furry rugby ball with legs.

--------------------
"The bicycle is the most civilized conveyance known to man. Other forms of transport grow daily more nightmarish. Only the bicycle remains pure in heart."--Iris Murdoch

Posts: 3307 | From: Charleston, WV | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ica171
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ica171   E-mail ica171   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My father was in Florida for some reason--work, I think. He had driven an RV down there since his stay was going to be long enough that staying in a hotel would be cost prohibitive but it wasn't long enough to warrant renting an apartment. One day he found three kittens that had been dumped in the area and taken refuge under his RV. So he brought them home and they became barn cats, since there was a glut of mice out there (still is, it's inevitable in the country).

That was a couple years ago and they now have ten cats running around. Every time they went to get the mother cat fixed, she was pregnant. And they just kept multiplying to the point where it's now cost prohibitive to fix them all. It's actually been more than ten, but they've run off or died through time. I fear the spring, because I believe there are three or four cats that are of breeding age.

Posts: 384 | From: Iowa | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spam & Cookies-mmm
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spam & Cookies-mmm   E-mail Spam & Cookies-mmm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ica171:
Every time they went to get the mother cat fixed, she was pregnant.

We've had cats fixed when they were pregnant. And the local vet has neutering prices for normal, in-heat, and pregnant.

--------------------
Did you see the Announcement?
There's a new snopes message board!

Posts: 7767 | From: Paradise Ceded | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
happyholidaysfrog
Jingle Bell Hock

Udate on poor dumped kitty: I found someplace to take it, I caught it ten minutes ago, printed the map to the shelter and I'm just waiting for my little bro to be dropped off by the bus so he can get in the house!

I feel relieved already.

--------------------
E.A.Poe

~James Dean~

happyholidaysfrog
Jingle Bell Hock

I just got back from dropping the kitty off, Yay!
That poor little thing had gotten a snotty nose so it snotted me the whole ride. It was super friendly, crawling and rubbing all over me, while I was trying to drive, that was a trick. After a couple minutes it chilled out underneath my seat.

I'm glad it will sleep warm tonight with some food in it's belly. I hope it finds a home but if it doesn't it will be better off then dying cold and hungry.

Thanks everyone.

--------------------
E.A.Poe

~James Dean~

Spamamander in a pear tree
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spamamander in a pear tree     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
- sends hugs - Thank you for caring.

--------------------
"There is a race between mankind and the universe. Mankind is trying to build bigger, better, faster, and more foolproof machines. The universe is trying to build bigger, better, and faster fools. So far the universe is winning." -Albert Einstein

Posts: 1058 | From: Yakima, WA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
tagurit
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tagurit   E-mail tagurit   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, I'm so glad you found a shelter for her. I'm telling you, I was so tempted to raise my hand. I thought for about a half second that I could meet you halfway. But, I barely have the resources for the hairy monster that lives with me and it really wouldn't be fair to her to stretch those.

--------------------
Explore, enjoy and protect the planet
---
AAMAH

Posts: 8532 | From: Michigan | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages