snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » Rantidote » Nasty eBay Seller (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Nasty eBay Seller
Katikate
Deck the Malls

Icon 03 posted      Profile for Katikate     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I bought my mom a present for christmas. I had it shipped to my dad's office, and it arrived friday, but I couldn't get it until today becasue he was out of town. I bought the package Dec 1, , it shipped, Monday, and by Thursday I was receiveing this message:

"Thank you for purchasing THE KISS BOX ART JEWLERY BOX Gustav Klimt THE KISS
NEW. MANY THANKS! I KNOW YOU ARE VERY BUSY BUT PLEASE TAKE A MOMENT TO POST
NICE FEEDBACK ! OUR EBAY ACCOUNT IS SET UP TO AUTO RESPOND TO POSTIVE FEEDBACK.
that means that when you post positve feedback the system leaves you positive
feedback.

We work very hard 7 days a week to give you great product at a lovely price
and greatly appreicate your time in posting nice feedback. God Bless and
dont forget to visit us at allthingsfanciful.com. Take this opportunity
now and help build a better eBay community.

(Name of item)

Note: Every eBay user has a Feedback profile made up of comments from other
eBay users."

In other words, leave me positive feedback or you wont get anything. See, I alwasy thought that the sellers only concern was how quick the money got there. Considering I paid the moment I bought it, there shouldn't have been a problem.

Since I didn't have the package, I ignored the email. Then I got another saturday, and sunday. Sunday, I wrote her and explained, that I didn't have the package, but would leave feedback as soon as I did.

She replied "It shows delivered"

I reply about the office thing, dont hear from her personally again.

I picked up the package today, its all good, get home, and I have another feedback reminder.

I leave postive feedback, which states:

"Item exactly as described, seller pushy about feedback"

She then leaves feedback that says:

Hope to deal with you again. Thank you.
Follow-up by cybelmoon: SORRY IT WAS NT A NEGATIVE HAVE A GREAT HOLIDAY BUYER PUSHY ABOUT SHIPPING

I never asked the woman about shipping! Period! At all! She also sent me this lovely email:

YOU ARE NASTY AND UNWELCOME TO BID AGAIN. YOU RECV AUTO REMINDER FOR FEEDBACK. GET A LIFE.

I replied and said :
You are a rude seller. You shouldn't leave feedback for the buyer dependent upon what I leave for you. I paid as soon as I bought the item, and was not pushy about shipping. I never even asked you about shipping. You are the ONLY seller I have had send an automated \better feedback me or else implied message\. I wouldn't buy anything from your store again if it was free. I have a life, lady, and it sure as hell doesn't involve sending you anymore of my money ever again. Dont contact me again.

I've never had a bad experience like this. Ever. And It wouldn't have been such a bug deal if she hadn't been so damn pushy. I mean damn, she's got almost 10,000 reviews, what the hell.

Sorry, just had to vent. I am not nasty, I'm always extremely polite, even when a pacakge is two weeks late getting to me and things like that. Life happens, i understand. But being rude to a customer? That's uncalled for.

Thanks for letting me rant.

ETA:
The woman obviously is an asshat, becasue she sent me this:

WOW nice mouth. Choke on your box. satcharama

I really dont usually get like this. I just refused to be disprepected by someone I paid not a little bit of money to. AARRGG!

--------------------
“You want to know what marriage is really like? You wake up she's there. You come back from work she's there. You fall asleep she's there…I know that sounds like a bad thing. But, it's not. Not if it's the right person.” ~Raymond Barone

Posts: 334 | From: Arkansas | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Katikate
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Katikate     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
snopes wont let me edit my post. She also just sent me this:

I guess dumb idiots in ARkasawwwww with 129 feedback have never had an auto reply. stop inbreeding

Now I want to punch something.

--------------------
“You want to know what marriage is really like? You wake up she's there. You come back from work she's there. You fall asleep she's there…I know that sounds like a bad thing. But, it's not. Not if it's the right person.” ~Raymond Barone

Posts: 334 | From: Arkansas | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LeaflessMapleTree
The twelve shopping days 'til Christmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LeaflessMapleTree   E-mail LeaflessMapleTree   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Wow. What a NFBSKer. Next time she sells something bid $200,000,000 on it just for fun.

--------------------
"For me, religion is like a rhinoceros: I don't have one, and I'd really prefer not to be trampled by yours. But it is impressive, and even beautiful, and, to be honest, the world would be slightly worse off if there weren't any."
-Silas Sparkhammer

Posts: 3239 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
kmcm
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kmcm   Author's Homepage   E-mail kmcm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Report her to Ebay. They might want to know about her behavior.

--------------------
Of course this land is dangerous! All of the animals are capably murderous. Especially the penguins.

i'm a figment of my own imagination, sometimes i don't exist

Posts: 1099 | From: Kitsap County, WA | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 02 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
If I buy something on eBay or Half.com and get more than one request for feedback from the seller, I post negative feedback stating that the seller is a spammer.

- snopes

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Katikate
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Katikate     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I did report her to ebay. I dont know what good it will do, but its something.

--------------------

Cinnamon
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cinnamon   Author's Homepage   E-mail Cinnamon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
[hijack]I've had my first message from eBay that an item I was bidding on has been withdrawn and the seller's account suspended. They can't give any further information as to why but I found it oddly alarming, presumably because it's the first time I've seen that although I know it must happen.[/hijack]

--------------------
My blog - a continuing obsession with my weight plus much randomness
My opinions on books, music, and other stuff

Posts: 845 | From: Gloucestershire, UK | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spikey
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spikey   E-mail Spikey   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cinnamon:
[hijack]I've had my first message from eBay that an item I was bidding on has been withdrawn and the seller's account suspended. They can't give any further information as to why but I found it oddly alarming, presumably because it's the first time I've seen that although I know it must happen.[/hijack]

I wouldn't worry too much, it happens. I've bought an item from someone who was later banned from eBay. I've also had my account suspended myself. Someone gained access to my account, and listed hundreds of designer handbags. I logged on to eBay one day, and I had dozens of e-mails from buyers asking about their bags, I owed hundreds of pounds to eBay, and I had several e-mails from eBay telling me my account was suspended. I spent the next week on and off contacting eBay's customer help, and slowly but surely they sorted everything out for me (reinstated my account, I changed all my passwords, they cancelled all the items that had been sold by the 'imposter', and cancelled all the fees that the 'imposter' had accumulated). They were really helpful, and I wasn't a penny out of pocket. I now have great trust in eBay, that if something goes wrong, there's plenty of support to help me out.

--------------------
"The fact that "uvula" and "vulva" look and sound similar was just a happy coincidence." - Lainie

Posts: 548 | From: England | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
James G.
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for James G.   Author's Homepage   E-mail James G.   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've recently been getting chain letters from an eBay seller I delt with several years ago. The seller was very polite at the time, although the sale didn't go through, as a last minute check of the item revealed that it had stopped working since it was retired. (Okay, they should have checked it before, but we all make mistakes) However I've recieved chain letters of the, send this to five people, and £5 to the person on the top of the list, variety. I reported the seller to PayPal (Their eBay had expired, but they were collecting the £5 via PayPal) and got a completely irrelevant response. Then, a few weeks later I got the E-mail again, so again reported them. This time I got a 'we're looking into it response.' No idea of the outcome.

The fool CCed the E-mail as well, thereby providing my E-mail to one and all. I'm not too bothered as I already get enough spam, but its still rude.

--------------------
This is a public service announcement. The board is moving. Check Announcements Photos[/URL]

Posts: 1302 | From: Edinburgh, UK (Currently Nr. Swindon, UK) | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Raven Waift
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raven Waift   Author's Homepage   E-mail Raven Waift   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I can't stand the bad sellers. I sell on half.com, and I when someone gets treated badly by one person they don't want to buy at all.

I don't give feedback until I receive it. I am not going to say the sale went fine until it is completed- and it isn't complete until you have the book and are happy. Feedback from the buyer lets me know if they received it and if they are happy or not.

I always feel weird when I buy a book and the seller gives me good feedback right away- they don't know if it got to me, if I am going to claim it wasn't delivered or wasn't in the condition promised.

Katikate, I am sorry that you had a bad experience. People can be stupid and mean- and this seems doubly-so when they have the internet for anonymity. Please don't let this stop you from buying online again, because there are good people out there.

Spikey, I had the same issue with someone taking over my account, except they were selling golf clubs. Since I normally don't sell on eBay, I thought the messages were phishes- but since they didn't do to my Junk Mail folder I checked it out. eBay got it sorted out really quickly for me too- I was just glad I caught it before anyone bid on those items.

--------------------
Whereas as you are dancing happily in the fields of ignorance through which the stream of stupidity bubbles and flows. -BlushingBride
My my space.

Posts: 656 | From: Ohio | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
The Fourth Man
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Fourth Man   E-mail The Fourth Man   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by James G.:
However I've recieved chain letters of the, send this to five people, and £5 to the person on the top of the list, variety. I reported the seller to PayPal (Their eBay had expired, but they were collecting the £5 via PayPal) and got a completely irrelevant response. Then, a few weeks later I got the E-mail again, so again reported them. This time I got a 'we're looking into it response.' No idea of the outcome.

PayPal is notorious for being unwilling to do a damn thing against chain letter scammers and related idiots. It's highly likely that the "we're looking into it" response you received was only the output of an ignorebot and that the outcome was that your complaint was deleted unread.

--------------------
If you keep trying, you'll eventually succeed. Therefore, the more you fail, the higher your chances of success.
-- Jacques Rouxel, 1931-2004 RIP :(

Posts: 406 | From: Paris, France | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rob D / Blackwolf, the yule dodo
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rob D / Blackwolf, the yule dodo   Author's Homepage   E-mail Rob D / Blackwolf, the yule dodo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I too leave feedback on eBay [i]after[/b] I have the item and make sure it's in working order. Thankfully I never had a spammer pushing for feedbacks though.
Of course, at the moment I have some slight troubles on eBay myself. I (or rather DW) won an item on the 19th of November but for some reason we can't pay the seller, as he only accepts Paypal and the payment option comes back with "Seller can't accept payments at the moment". His feedback went from 7 (he was new into it) to -2.

--------------------
~Reality, the refuge of those who fail in RPGs~
aka Darkfist Dragon
-==(UDIC)==-

Posts: 334 | From: Lancaster, Ohio | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lydia Oh Lydia
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lydia Oh Lydia   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Wow, I've bought maybe 50 things on ebay over the last few years. I've never had anyone that pushy. I have had several people send me an email that said something like: "when you get your item, please leave feedback for me."

I think I'd report the person to ebay, as others have suggested.

--------------------
"My name is the symbol for my identity and must not be lost." Motto of the Lucy Stone League.

Posts: 1815 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Doug4.7
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 102 posted      Profile for Doug4.7   E-mail Doug4.7   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lydia Oh Lydia:
Wow, I've bought maybe 50 things on ebay over the last few years. I've never had anyone that pushy. I have had several people send me an email that said something like: "when you get your item, please leave feedback for me."

I think I'd report the person to ebay, as others have suggested.

Just another data point. My experience with eBay is about the same as Lydia's. My suggestion is also the same.

--------------------
And now for something completely different...

Posts: 4164 | From: Alabama | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
mags
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mags     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Katikate:
snopes wont let me edit my post. She also just sent me this:

I guess dumb idiots in ARkasawwwww with 129 feedback have never had an auto reply. stop inbreeding

Now I want to punch something.

Out of curiosity, where is she from? I know that my SO and I have had enough problem with ebay sellers from a certain area of the country that we actively avoid auctions from there when we can help it. We buy a LOT on ebay.

I hesitate to mention where because invariably someone will say, 'hey, I'm from there, we're not all scammers.'

What I think is pretty funny is that her stupid little auto-reply, auto-feedback, I-can't-be-bothered-to-actually-think, program backfired on her and left you a positive feedback [Smile]

Posts: 550 | From: Springboro, OH | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
jessboo
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jessboo     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My boyfriend sold an item a few weeks ago, I posted it on the Tuesday, and the buyer sent an email on the Sunday saying something along the lines of,

STILL NOT RECEIVED IF YOU DON'T REPLY I WILL LEAVE NEGATIVE FEEDBACK.

Without any preceeding correspondence. Yeah, we're going to want to help you when you're being so nice [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Join me on Lost - www.lost.eu/edcf

Do you have any wine? All of this would go a lot smoother in an altered state of reality.

Posts: 779 | From: Southampton, England | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ThistleSoftware
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ThistleSoftware     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I can't stand Ebay. It's not a bad system but I've made enough mistakes when selling and been screwed enough when buying that I just don't want to deal with it anymore.

--------------------
Officially Heartless

Posts: 3065 | From: The Montgomery County of the West Coast- Berkeley, CA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LittleDuck

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LittleDuck   E-mail LittleDuck   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
As eBay sellers, we have had our share of idjuts. Some get pissed when we don't leave feedback right off. We used to (left feedback after receiving payment) but got burnt that way. Some buyers wouldn't bother to give feedback for us - they got theirs why should they have to? Another was someone who I went out of my way to assist with a $2.00 purchase. He never requested a refund or anything, just left negative. After dealing with the BS for a long time. we changed our stated policy (on every auction) that we leave feedback AFTER we are sure the item was received and all was well. The best way we had to do this was by seeing who left feedback. However, we never spammed people for it. I would insert a note in each item, thanks for buying blah blah feedback blah blah.

We have had occasional problems with buyers and sellers spamming for feedback but generally ignore it. If it gets too much we report it. the sad thing is for a seller with tens of thousands of feedback rating, eBay is not too likely to do much to them. They're making big $$ for eBay. I guess the only assurance I can offer is that not all eBayers are like that. Oh, and one of the kindest, most thoughtful couples I have ever are from Arkansas. I spent more than one vacation down there and never met anyone who was less than wonderful.

--------------------
"Silly customer, you cannot hurt a Twinkie." -Apu (The Simpsons)

Posts: 2026 | From: 10 miles South of Boston | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ertceps
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ertceps     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I sell alot online and when selling at Ebay my buyers get an email at the end of the auction saying thanks for bidding and I give the total with shipping and ask how they want to pay

The next email I send after being paid is to let them know I have already given them positive feedback and their package is in the mail

Also to please let me know when they receive the package(so they don't just reflexively give me negative feedback if something went wrong)

I do have to say that giving feedback before the buyer does is risky if you run into a jerk or scammer(I've sold to both)..on my "About me" page I tell people I will work with them to make sure they're happy BUT if they try to scam me in any way I will take the neg and explain why on their feedback

I had one person to whom I sold a fragile object claim it got to her broken but she not only wanted her money back and she wanted to keep the "pieces" too so despite the package being insured she didn't want to use the insurance since if she did she'd have to give up the so called pieces...this made me suspicious

I sent her the insurance form and told her if she wanted her money back that was the only way she was getting it...I received bad feedback from her

BTW The same day I sent her fragile box I sent five other fragile ones too...the other five got to their destinations in 3-4 days safely...the last box took another week for some reason and had a footprint on the box(she sent me a pic)..so how she could blame ME I have no idea

I sold an old comic to someone and three months later he wanted $7 back saying that the comic was missing a staple!!!?? The thing was that specific comic was made with NO staples(the spine was glued together by the publisher)...I keep pictures of all items I sell until I get my feedback and I could prove how that comic was made

The jerk still got an attorney to send me a letter threatening me...I called the lawyer and explained the situation including the fact I still had the picture of the comic I sold proving my position...I never heard from either of them again but I got negative feedback from him on the last day you are allowed to give feedback(he thought if he did it then I wouldn't be able to respond)...however there is a way to give feedback even a year later(something he didn't know)

BTW Out of many many thousands of transactions I've had online those two people were the only people I ever had problems with(and the only two negs I've ever gotten) so despite hearing all these horror stories about bad buyers or sellers the vast majority of people out there are honest and reasonable

If you are a seller keep in contact with your buyer and if you are a buyer don't automatically assume the sellers is trying to rip you off...that one rule will eliminate about 99% of any problems you might encounter(once you start down the road of nasty emails it's very hard to come back)

Occasionally I sell old Edison records...since I don't have an Edison machine to play them on I tell my buyers in those auctions I will accept returns for those records for any reason or no reason just send them back and I will return the entire amount they paid(including postage)...that would seem to be risky right? In all the records I have sold so far I have had ONE return and that person later bought others from me(that he kept)

Like I said before most people are honest and decent...it's just the crooked ones get more publicity

Oh a word of warning to buyers out there...when checking feedback to decide if you are safe to bid...even if the person has impeccable feedback read a page or two of the positive feedback too

Many sellers are afraid if they leave negative feedback then their buyer will do the same out of spite(and they will) so they write positive feedback but write in such a way to let others know the buyer was trouble

Sorry this post ended being so long(you should of seen it before I edited it down to just this length...heh)

Posts: 100 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LittleDuck

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LittleDuck   E-mail LittleDuck   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
To add a bit to what ertceps said, ALWAYS read a person's feedback. Check the feedback percentages of course but even if they have a high positive, read some of the negatives. I have more than once decided against doing business with someone who had a high percentage of positives based on some of the negatives (and the person's responses to the negatives).

--------------------

Posts: 2026 | From: 10 miles South of Boston | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cervus
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cervus   E-mail Cervus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cinnamon:

I often get spoof eBay emails stating that an item I've bid on has been withdrawn. But I haven't bid on anything (no one's hijacked my account) nor does the email phish for personal information. I'm not sure what the purpose of it is, except to see if my email address is valid for spamming.

Many years ago I also went through a very strange encounter with an eBay seller. I'd received a non-paying bidder alert on my account for an item I didn't recall bidding on. Nothing in my eBay mailbox or account showed any record of me winning the item. The seller never attempted to contact me, just filed a non-paying bidder alert. I reported it to eBay, telling them there was no record of me bidding on or winning the item, but the only response I received was an Unpaid Item strike on my account. My attempts to communicate with the seller went unanswered.

A few weeks later, negative feedback was posted to my account by this seller. The feedback claimed "NO ATTEMPT MADE TO CONTACT ME; NUMEROUS E-MAILS RETURNED "USER UNKNOWN"; BANNED!".
The auction was too old for me to open the page for this item I'd supposedly won. My email address was public and I was able to communicate with other eBay sellers without any problems. Again, I was extremely suspicious o this person and wrote to eBay's help center to tell them of the problem. Nothing was done and the negative feedback remained on my account.

A year later I received another non-paying bidder alert from the same seller for the same item. I now knew it was some kind of scam because there's 45-day limit for filing a NPB. These weren't spoof emails, they were actually showing up as Unpaid Item strikes on my eBay account. The only response I got from eBay was that one more Unpaid Item strike would result in my account being suspended. I ended up closing that account and starting over with a new one. So far, I've had no problems.

--------------------
"There is no constitutional right to sleep with endangered reptiles." -- Carl Hiaasen
Won't somebody please think of the adults!

Posts: 8254 | From: Florida | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Katikate
Deck the Malls

I went back and read some of the positives, and y'all are right, a bunch of them were "great product, not great service" types. 55 have been mutually withdrawn, and as I went back, she averages 5 negatives a month. I know out of almost 10,000 that's not alot, but i should've checked into it more. Arg.

ETA: She is located in Santa Barbara, CA. In fact, I have her address. I can send her evil chain glurge letters. Mwah-ha-ha-ha.

--------------------

Sara at home

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sara at home   E-mail Sara at home   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hey, I have a question for ebayers.

I ordered a famous, very expensive brand name item which was, to be honest, not as expensive as it should have been. Ok, it was a hat which the seller claimed it was, Prada, 100% cotton. What I got had a 100% acrylic label and a Made in China label but a hang tag for a Prada jacket.

So my feedback included "not as described. Acrylic, not cotton. Made in China, not Italy." The seller gave me negative feedback for not contacting him and "working it out". Huh? What's to work out? Is he going to tell me he didn't know the item wasn't Prada? It had tags in that said it wasn't!

What was I suppose to do? Give feedback before I checked the item out and noticed the "acrylic" tag?

--------------------
Assume that all my posts will be edited at least once. Dyslexic -- can't spell, can't type, can't proofread.

Posts: 8317 | From: Reading, PA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NZUL
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NZUL     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
What you were supposed to do was contact the seller and say "This is not as described, I would like to send it back and have a refund." If they work with you, it's a mutually cancelled sale.

Always give the seller the opportunity to fix up any problems before giving negative feedback.

--------------------
"We don't keep a certified whale-vomit expert on staff." - Larry Penny, Director, Natural Resources Department, Town of East Hampton

Posts: 377 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spam & Cookies-mmm

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spam & Cookies-mmm   E-mail Spam & Cookies-mmm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm with you on that one. If the seller did refund your money - or "work it out" somehow - he still misrepresented the product in his advertisement. I don't think sellers should get positive feedback for false advertising.

Sara, did you get your money back?

--------------------
Did you see the Announcement?
There's a new snopes message board!

Posts: 7767 | From: Paradise Ceded | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sara at home

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sara at home   E-mail Sara at home   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
No, I didn't even bother. I really had no desire to have any further dealings with someone that dishonest. If he didn't want negative feed back, he shouldn't have lied. Having lied, he gets to live with negative feedback. There was nothing to "fix", it wasn't like I got the wrong item or it arrived broken. The guy lied! Why shouldn't I tell anyone who cares to read the feedback?

Hmmmm, seems that seller is no longer registered on Ebay.

--------------------
Assume that all my posts will be edited at least once. Dyslexic -- can't spell, can't type, can't proofread.

Posts: 8317 | From: Reading, PA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
FuzzDuckie
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FuzzDuckie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Another thing to watch for are "repeat buyers". While that's not a bad thing in of itself, sometimes they're there to inflate the feedback. Its probably a rare thing but its something to watch out for.

--------------------
Clever Waste of Time Invasion IV
An unique Riddle adventure.
PM me for more info. I'm on Brain Candy.
Purple Hell- Riddle Tools

Posts: 1551 | From: Georgia | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
bthyb
WiFi Christmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bthyb   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I just read an article today about how sellers will create other accounts and then buy from themselves in order to artificially increase the feedback. The article discussed how these patterns of purchases are being analysed to uncover fraud within Ebay.

The article was sent without a source, but I asked the poster for the source so I can post it here - hopefully I'll hear back soon.

--------------------
If you say you love ice cream, you better be dreaming of an orgy with Ben, Jerry, and one fine-ass chunky monkey.

-- My sister and poet extraordinaire, Joanna Hoffman

Posts: 1475 | From: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LittleDuck

quote:
Originally posted by FuzzDuckie:
Another thing to watch for are "repeat buyers". While that's not a bad thing in of itself, sometimes they're there to inflate the feedback. Its probably a rare thing but its something to watch out for.

Our feedback thingy:
Feedback Score: 321
Positive Feedback: 99.7%
Members who left a positive: 322
Members who left a negative: 1
All positive feedback received: 343

Meaning, we have a score of 321 but have carried out at least 344 transactions. 323 have been unique users (it used to say this expressly, but doesn't seem to now), one positive is wiped out by the one negative (who I mentioned in a previous post).

The score does not take into account the number of people who just don't leave feedback, for whatever reason (too many for my liking, but we don't harass them over it).

--------------------

Roadie
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roadie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by bthyb:
I just read an article today about how sellers will create other accounts and then buy from themselves in order to artificially increase the feedback. The article discussed how these patterns of purchases are being analysed to uncover fraud within Ebay.

The article was sent without a source, but I asked the poster for the source so I can post it here - hopefully I'll hear back soon.

Forgive my EBay ignorance, as I've only bought, not sold. Wouldn't phantom transactions produce real fees?

--------------------
"The little local company I buy from has CHEAP shipping and I have met their goats." (snapdragonfly)

"And that's one lost erection I'll never get back! You hear me Dan! I'm owed an erection!" (I'mNotDedalus)

Posts: 2658 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cinnamon
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cinnamon   Author's Homepage   E-mail Cinnamon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Sara's problem of having received something not as advertised made me think of something I saw when I was browsing the other day. Someone was advertised for sale a CD which came free with Classic Rock magazine several months ago called Sons of Guns. This was a compilation of about 15 new bands who are very much in the Guns N Roses mould, hence the CD title. I got it when it came out and it's great. However, the seller was advertising it as new bands doing covers of GNR tracks, which it isn't - these are original songs by these various bands. Now I happened to know that because I have it, but that description is either a deliberate lie or the seller genuinely doesn't know (but I can't see how that can be the case). Any ideas what to do about a listing you know is wrong for an item you have no intention of bidding on?

--------------------
My blog - a continuing obsession with my weight plus much randomness
My opinions on books, music, and other stuff

Posts: 845 | From: Gloucestershire, UK | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
glisp42
I'm Dreaming Of A White iPod

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glisp42   Author's Homepage   E-mail glisp42   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Politely email the seller and tell him. I get emails like that sometimes myself when I've made a genuine mistake with a listing. If he's genuinely made a mistake(quite possible if he doesn't know about GNR) he'll probably be quite grateful.

What you don't do is email the bidders about it. That is an eBay no-no and will get you kicked off.

Roadie, yes phantom transactions will produce fees.

Myself, I leave feedback when it has been left for me. I, like so many others have been burned waaaaay to many times to do it any other way. What I don't do is send emails begging for feedback. I pay little to no attention to it anyway and from what I've seen in terms of dollar amounts and sales, it makes little difference.

Sara There have been times when an item has been damaged in shipment and instead of emailing me, they simply leave negative feedback. This does tend to make me see red. In your case, negative feedback was justified. In my scenario it is not. I can say with absolute certainty that everyone who has emailed me with a problem has had it resolved and has come away happy. There have been times where a customer has not only gotten a full refund but also a replacement if I find one.

--------------------
What does "Bookachow", "YOMANK" and other lingo mean?

And we'll collect the moments one by one I guess that's how the future's done. -Feist

Posts: 1641 | From: Kansas | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NeeCD
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NeeCD   E-mail NeeCD       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LittleDuck:
The score does not take into account the number of people who just don't leave feedback, for whatever reason (too many for my liking, but we don't harass them over it).

I've only bought off of eBay twice, and I didn't leave any feedback either time. Both of those were buy it now sales, and I honestly had no idea that it was expected. I guess I figured it was just for actual auction sales or only if the service was very good or very bad. I also didn't know that feedback was left for buyers, maybe I should go see if I have a "doesn't leave feedback, how rude!" feedback. [Smile] Well anyway, I've learned something new, and from now on I'll make sure and leave some.

--------------------
I wondered why the Frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
What does "Bookachow", "YOMANK!" and other lingo mean?

Posts: 1720 | From: Stafford Hamlet, OR | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sara at home

quote:
Originally posted by glisp42:

Sara There have been times when an item has been damaged in shipment and instead of emailing me, they simply leave negative feedback. This does tend to make me see red. In your case, negative feedback was justified. In my scenario it is not. I can say with absolute certainty that everyone who has emailed me with a problem has had it resolved and has come away happy. There have been times where a customer has not only gotten a full refund but also a replacement if I find one.

A few years ago I had ordered a set of four character glasses. When they arrived, instead of having the four that were advertised and pictured, I got three and a duplicate of one. Four glasses but only three characters. I did the right thing and contacted the seller. She stonewalled from the gitgo. She insisted that there were four different glasses, that she sent exactly what was described. She didn't offer to fix it, just told me to send it back if I didn't want it. So I did. She didn't reimburse me for the shipping or the PayPal fees plus I had to pay to ship it back to her. Apparently she believed my refusal to accept other than what she advertised meant I should eat those costs, not her who lied about what she was sending.

Neither PayPal nor Ebay were any help. That experience is one reason I don't buy more from Ebay.

Despite my experience with her, she has a 99.4% positive feedback today.

--------------------

Scout
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Scout     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
We accidentely sold a fake Nokia mobile phone facia on ebay once, I'd just got a new phone, and bought a white facia for it, from somewhere. I had never seen facias sold separately from a phone before, as it was the first Nokia I had had, the packaging had Nokia all over it, and looked real enough to me.

I put it on my phone, didn't like the way it looked, so I put it back in it's packaging, and my boyfriend listed it on ebay as a genuine Nokia facia.

Someone bought it, and we sent it off to them, and quickly received an email back saying - err, you listed this as genuine, it isn't.

We went and had a look at some genuine ones in carphone warehouse or somewhere, realised he was right and refunded him without question, explained what had happened, and told him to keep the facia anyway, with many apologies.

It was a genuine mistake on our part, but I think we were very lucky not to just get knee jerk negative feedback, so now if as a buyer something isn't how I feel it was described I always contact the seller and give them the opportunity to refund me or come to some other arrangement, before leaving any negative feedback.

Scout.

--------------------
"Abandon shop. This is not a daffodil, repeat, this is not a daffodil!"

Posts: 661 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages