snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » Rantidote » Freshman boys who don't know the correct way to cook with a pot (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Freshman boys who don't know the correct way to cook with a pot
chillas
Coventry Mall Carol

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chillas     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Huh. Well, I still stand by the idea that it's simple to tell the difference between a non-stick surface and a, um, non-non-stick surface. But since I seem to be fairly unique in that regard, I'll at least withdraw the underlying snark in my previous comment. [Wink]

Oh, and I'll second (third, fourth, whatever) the virtues of silicone utensils. I only have metal whisks at the moment, but I've used silicone ones in the past and would love to get another one.

--------------------
Come on, come on - spin a little tighter
Come on, come on - and the world's a little brighter

Posts: 5595 | From: Columbus, OH : The Soccer Capital of America | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Breedle
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Breedle   E-mail Breedle   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I guess that I was more mad at myself for having my pot ruined then at the boys. I probably should have realised that they did not know they had to use a wooden spoon. I was more upset knowing that I have to buy a new pot with money I don't have then the fact that the pot was ruined, if that helps to clarify things a little better.
Posts: 31 | From: Mankato, Minnesota | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Four Kitties
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 503 posted      Profile for Four Kitties   E-mail Four Kitties   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by chillas:
Huh. Well, I still stand by the idea that it's simple to tell the difference between a non-stick surface and a, um, non-non-stick surface. But since I seem to be fairly unique in that regard, I'll at least withdraw the underlying snark in my previous comment. [Wink]

You are not unique in that regard; I also think it's easy to tell just by looking. Very, very easy.

Four Kitties

--------------------
If swimming is so good for your figure, how do you explain whales?

Posts: 13275 | From: Kindergarten World, Massachusetts | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Towknie
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Towknie   E-mail Towknie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Don't like nonstick pots and pans. Stainless steel and cast iron populate my kitchen. It took me nearly 9 years to get DW to stop using soap on the cast iron!! I think she finally got the hint, when I took a cast iron pan, freshly washed with soap by her, out to the BBQ, lit a blazing wood fire in it, and threw the pan in. She thought I was trying to destroy it.

--------------------
Towknie: Ryda-certified as wonderful, enlighted, and rational.

Posts: 1011 | From: Frisco, TX | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My mom has several wonderful old cast iron pans, including a dutch oven. My brother joked recently that they're the only things in the house that we'll fight over when she's gone. (We say stuff like that in my family)

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
quiltsbypam
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for quiltsbypam   E-mail quiltsbypam   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ummm, yeah, Teflon is pretty recognizable. I need to (pardon the expression) stick to Teflon because cast iron is too heavy for me. Just can't lift the stuff empty, let alone with food in it.

And I never used silicon utensils, but I may look into them now. My current favorite utensil is a bamboo spoon. It's lightweight and fits my hand nicely.

--------------------
"No Biblical hell could ever be worse than the state of perpetual inconsequence." Beatrice in Dangerous Beauty

Posts: 1816 | From: Cayuga County, NY | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ThistleSoftware
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ThistleSoftware     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Towknie, this is fairly off topic, but did your wife just not get the concept of seasoning or not believe soap would hurt it or what? I'm agog that it would take explaining it more than once or twice to get someone to stop using soap on seasoned pans- nine years is shocking.

--------------------
Officially Heartless

Posts: 3065 | From: The Montgomery County of the West Coast- Berkeley, CA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rhiandmoi

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rhiandmoi   E-mail Rhiandmoi   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I use soap on my cast iron all the time. Sometimes the pan starts tasting funky, so I'll wash it with soap. I've never completely removed the season. Just a couple of layers of it.

--------------------
I think that hyperbole is the single greatest factor contributing to the decline of society. - My friend Pat.

What is .02 worth?

Posts: 8745 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ThistleSoftware
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ThistleSoftware     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I know you can use soap on cast iron- I'm mostly curious as to why Towknie was unable to convince his wife not to for 9 years. I mean, if I had a husband and he had some preference that struck me as unnecessary but no big deal I would probably acquiesce after one or two requests, not after nine years of him trying to convince me.

--------------------
Officially Heartless

Posts: 3065 | From: The Montgomery County of the West Coast- Berkeley, CA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Towknie
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Towknie   E-mail Towknie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ThistleSoftware:
I know you can use soap on cast iron- I'm mostly curious as to why Towknie was unable to convince his wife not to for 9 years. I mean, if I had a husband and he had some preference that struck me as unnecessary but no big deal I would probably acquiesce after one or two requests, not after nine years of him trying to convince me.

It's an Asian thing. Things must be WASHED. I've got a couple friends with Asian wives who go through the same thing.

Kinda' along the same lines of how you'll notice that your clothes wear out really fast in Korea if you let a Korean woman launder them. She'll hand wash them, beat them over a rock, run them over one of those old school abrasive washer boards, and probably use lye in the water. Old habits die hard. (This was a few years ago now. Things and times in Korea, they are a changin')

--------------------

Posts: 1011 | From: Frisco, TX | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rhiandmoi

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rhiandmoi   E-mail Rhiandmoi   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't think it is an Asian thing. Woks are seasoned the same as cast iron skillets.

--------------------
I think that hyperbole is the single greatest factor contributing to the decline of society. - My friend Pat.

What is .02 worth?

Posts: 8745 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Towknie
We Three Blings

quote:
Originally posted by Rhiandmoi:
I don't think it is an Asian thing. Woks are seasoned the same as cast iron skillets.

Fine, it's a "my wife" thing. Incidentally, not many woks in use in Korea. Mostly steel pots and stone bowl things that can be cooked in.

--------------------

Rhiandmoi

It might be a Korean thing. I just know that I have a clean freak Asian mother (Chinese) and a well seasoned wok and cast iron skillet in the same house.

--------------------

What is .02 worth?

lynnejanet
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lynnejanet     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think it's a clean-freak thing. My mom refuses to use stoneware baking pans, even though she knows how well they work, and how wonderful they are. Why? She knows that she couldn't stop herself from washing them in hot, soapy water. If she's over at my house, helping to clean up, she even asks me to wash the stoneware, because she thinks that there must be something that she's not "getting". She just refuses to beleive that scraping them under hot water is enough.

--------------------
lynne"insert appropriate punny phrase here"janet

Posts: 1460 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NeeCD
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NeeCD   E-mail NeeCD       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a type of saucepan made of something called "Castalon" that is supposedly a lightweight cast iron with a Teflon coating. I got it at Safeway, and I think it's really just some kind of gimmick. There are instructions on the bottom that say "After washing the pan, precondition the inside by greasing it with butter or oil." I did the first couple of times, but I quit doing it a long time ago, and can't figure out why you're supposed to in the first place. The inside is Teflon coated, it isn't like you're seasoning the iron, and I've never noticed any problem with not seasoning it. Any ideas on this?

--------------------
I wondered why the Frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
What does "Bookachow", "YOMANK!" and other lingo mean?

Posts: 1720 | From: Stafford Hamlet, OR | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lady Neeva
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lady Neeva   E-mail Lady Neeva   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ULTRAGUPPY:
[QUOTE]Why buy a new one? You can re-season the old one just as easy as seasoning the new one.

Probably should have mentioned -- He was the one who bought a new one, I didn't exactly make him.

He'd decided to do the dishes while I was out of town, and our dishwasher wasn't too good at drying so it got put away with some water on it. It then rusted, he noticed the rust, and decided to replace it before I found out he "ruined" it.

It might have worked, if it weren't for the fact that a new cast iron skillet is dark grey, and a seasoned one is very close to black lol.

Posts: 58 | From: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ThistleSoftware
Little Sales Drummer Boy

quote:
Originally posted by Towknie:
quote:

It's an Asian thing. Things must be WASHED. I've got a couple friends with Asian wives who go through the same thing.

Kinda' along the same lines of how you'll notice that your clothes wear out really fast in Korea if you let a Korean woman launder them. She'll hand wash them, beat them over a rock, run them over one of those old school abrasive washer boards, and probably use lye in the water. Old habits die hard. (This was a few years ago now. Things and times in Korea, they are a changin')

Interesting. I once read a review of a Korean spa in L.A. that seemed to have an emphasis on getting every last molecule of dirt off its customers. Sauna, cold shower, hot shower, scrubbing with loofahs and pumice stones, cold baths, et cetera. I guess it might be a Korean thing. Anyhow thanks for explaining.

--------------------
Officially Heartless

Towknie
We Three Blings

quote:
I once read a review of a Korean spa in L.A. that seemed to have an emphasis on getting every last molecule of dirt off its customers. Sauna, cold shower, hot shower, scrubbing with loofahs and pumice stones, cold baths, et cetera. I guess it might be a Korean thing. Anyhow thanks for explaining.

I've spent a good deal of time in those spas both in LA and in Korea (they're illegal in Texas because you can't have that many naked people in the same room at the same time). DW used to actually get quite angry at me for coming out of those places and having the temerity to still have skin remaining on my body. For men, they're great places to go sweat out, and sleep off hangovers. For women, however, they're serious business. My wife used to quite literally go to the bath for 8 hours. We went once to the really big resorty one in Pusan with her father. He and I were finished in about 1 1/2 hours. We came back outside and pretty much just drank beer for 6 hours waiting for her. So in short, yes, the Korean bathing process is quite thorough.

--------------------

Avril
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Avril     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
We have "community" cookware in our dorm, which is kept on top of our multiple refrigerators. No non-stick pan will last more than 1 day without getting thoroughly scratched up to the point of utter uselessness. We also have a large Korean population, but I don't necessarily want to blame the Koreans.

It is highly irritating--and the main reason I avoid using the "community" cookware at all costs.

Avril

--------------------
There is no failure unless one stops. --Ray Bradbury

Posts: 2115 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ladyknight
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ladyknight     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
So, at the risk of sounding like an idiot, how do you tell if something is Teflon-coated? I have a set of black pots and pans; are those teflon coated? Is it the way that they feel, or a certain shimmer they have or what?

--------------------
Triumphs cannot be given. They must be taken, and the worse the odds, and the fiercer the resistance, the greater the honor. -- A Civil Campaign, Lois McMaster Bujold

Posts: 638 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Singing in the Drizzle
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Singing in the Drizzle     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ladyknight:
So, at the risk of sounding like an idiot, how do you tell if something is Teflon-coated? I have a set of black pots and pans; are those teflon coated? Is it the way that they feel, or a certain shimmer they have or what?

If the coating is not burnt, then it's at dark gray to blak coating on the inside of the pan. It feels like a thin smooth coating of a slick plastic. If it is damaged do to using metal on it. You should be able to see the scratchs in the thin coating and metal below it.
Posts: 597 | From: Bellingham, WA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Class Bravo
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Class Bravo     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by chillas:
quote:
Originally posted by Breedle:
I guess their parents never taught them that they are supposed to use wooden spoons when stiring this kind of pan [Mad]

I know many people of all ages, male and female, who don't know this.
[red face]

Uh, I just learned that while reading this thread.

[sulks away]

Posts: 918 | From: Southern CA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brad from Georgia

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brad from Georgia   Author's Homepage   E-mail Brad from Georgia   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Dudes...when it comes to cooking with pot, you are looking at the master. Now, I call this dish--what? What? IN a pot? Oh, never mind.

--------------------
"No hard feelin's and HOPpy New Year!"--Walt Kelly
Hear what you're missing: ARTC podcasts! http://artcpodcast.org/

Posts: 7581 | From: Gainesville, Georgia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages