snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » Rantidote » Freshman boys who don't know the correct way to cook with a pot (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Freshman boys who don't know the correct way to cook with a pot
Breedle
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 03 posted      Profile for Breedle   E-mail Breedle   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This probably doen't sound like a big deal, but it's finals week and I am already a little frustrated as it is.

A couple of freshman guys who live on my floor came to my door wanting to borrow my pot (as in cooking container, not drugs) so I let them use it.

It was a brand new pot, and as soon as I said they could borrow it I knew I probably shouldn't have. When they brought it back it was clean, which surprised me, but then I looked inside. They must have used a fork to stir what they were cooking, and the non-stick covering on the pan is all scratched up really badly. I guess their parents never taught them that they are supposed to use wooden spoons when stiring this kind of pan [Mad]

Although it's not that big of a deal in the long run, I just needed to get it off my chest.

Posts: 31 | From: Mankato, Minnesota | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Esprise Me
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Esprise Me     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I never lent my pots (or my pot, for that matter) to anyone for precisely this reason. I'm sorry that happened to you. Given that they were freshman boys, I'm sure it was the result of ignorance, not malice or negligence. The freshman boys I lived with in college mostly couldn't even boil water. It's sad, really.

--------------------
"If God wrote it, the grammar must be infallible. Perhaps it is we who are mistaken." -MapleLeaf

Posts: 977 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cervus
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cervus   E-mail Cervus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This is why I don't loan things to people. I've had too many bad experiences with people ruining my property. On the rare occasion I let someone borrow something of mine, I make sure I'm there to watch them use it and get it back before it leaves my sight. But, as a general rule, I no longer loan anything to anyone.

--------------------
"There is no constitutional right to sleep with endangered reptiles." -- Carl Hiaasen
Won't somebody please think of the adults!

Posts: 8254 | From: Florida | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jenn
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jenn   E-mail Jenn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Even people who cook regularly sometimes forget about how to take care of non-stick cookware. I grew up with glass and stainless steel cookware, and I still don't use much in the way of non-stick. Many times I've caught myself sticking a metal whisk into my little non-stick saucepan because I'm just not used to thinking of it.

--------------------
"You're the opposite of troll. It's a compliment!"

Posts: 12086 | From: Alberta | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lady Neeva
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lady Neeva   E-mail Lady Neeva   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My take on the situation (which has happened to me more than once)... "At least they're cooking instead of getting a McMeal."

My two coping mechanisms... first, keep the ruined pot. Next time they want to borrow a pot, loan them that one.

Second method only works with family, spouses, and very good friends -- hand them the store receipt for the replacement. Now that he knows how much a good non-stick pan costs, hubby has become much gentler with them.

He's also been trained in the fine art of why we don't wash my seasoned cast iron in the dishwasher. This was accomplished by not only making him pay for a new one (those things are expensive!) but making him season the new one. Now he's afraid of it lol.

Posts: 58 | From: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LeaflessMapleTree
The twelve shopping days 'til Christmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LeaflessMapleTree   E-mail LeaflessMapleTree   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The fact that these guys can't cook is sad, too. It's not hard. It just takes the tiniest bit of interest. It's a little disheartening when people can get an A in calculus (not saying these guys necessarily will) but can't make pasta.

--------------------
"For me, religion is like a rhinoceros: I don't have one, and I'd really prefer not to be trampled by yours. But it is impressive, and even beautiful, and, to be honest, the world would be slightly worse off if there weren't any."
-Silas Sparkhammer

Posts: 3239 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
El Camino
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for El Camino   E-mail El Camino   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hmm...although I don't do a whole lot of cooking, even if I did I wouldn't have thought of this, as at home we don't have any non-stick pans (or at least I've never used them). I also rarely use metal stirring implements, so I actually probably wouldn't have messed up this way. But it would have been out of luck more than anything else.
Posts: 1048 | From: Brunswick, Maine | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dreams of Thinking Machines
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dreams of Thinking Machines   E-mail Dreams of Thinking Machines   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Breedle:
This probably doen't sound like a big deal, but it's finals week and I am already a little frustrated as it is.

A couple of freshman guys who live on my floor came to my door wanting to borrow my pot (as in cooking container, not drugs) so I let them use it.

It was a brand new pot, and as soon as I said they could borrow it I knew I probably shouldn't have. When they brought it back it was clean, which surprised me, but then I looked inside. They must have used a fork to stir what they were cooking, and the non-stick covering on the pan is all scratched up really badly. I guess their parents never taught them that they are supposed to use wooden spoons when stiring this kind of pan [Mad]

Although it's not that big of a deal in the long run, I just needed to get it off my chest.

Did you tell them in advanced that the pan was non-stick and therefore required a wooden or plastic spoon?

--------------------
Obi Wan: "Only a Sith deals in absolutes!"
Anakin: "Um, isn't your last statement an absolute?"

Posts: 166 | From: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Em
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Em   E-mail Em   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Way back when non-stick pans were first becoming popular, my mother came home from work to find that the friend who was staying with her for a couple of days had very carefully "scrubbed all that horrid black stuff" off her brand new Teflon frying pan before using it to cook herself breakfast. She'd had to use steel wool and a metal scraper because it was burnt on so hard.

--------------------
What the NFBSK does YOMANK mean?

Posts: 1646 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay Tea
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Tea   E-mail Jay Tea   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The level of rampant undomesticated idiocy running riot in my halls of residence was eye-opening. Filthy little trolls who had obviously never been taught to do a thing for themselves and as a result the kitchen, bathroom and toilets were soon a disgrace.

I took refuge in female kind and spent my entire year hiding on the upper floors with those paragons of cleanliness and organisation - women. I'm not saying that women are somehow better at these things in general, or that they themselves are not capable of creating horror stories of their own, but those little feckers downstairs created a dorm where I feared to tread [lol]

--------------------
This is where I come up with something right? Something really clever...

Posts: 6552 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
PeterK
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PeterK   E-mail PeterK   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think you need to cut them a bit of slack. Unless the pot still had a "Teflon/NonStick" label on it, it can be hard to tell a non-stick pot from a normal one. And round here at least although non-stick coatings are common on frypans, they are very uncommon on saucepans (I assume what you call "a pot" is what we call a saucepan.) And at least they knew how to cook something in it. When our microwave was broken recently, my son (20) exclaimed "But we can't reheat anything!" Even after I explained to him how to reheat food in a saucepan, he decided it was just too hard and did without.
Posts: 670 | From: Australia | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
chillas
Coventry Mall Carol

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chillas     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Breedle:
I guess their parents never taught them that they are supposed to use wooden spoons when stiring this kind of pan [Mad]

I know many people of all ages, male and female, who don't know this.

--------------------
Come on, come on - spin a little tighter
Come on, come on - and the world's a little brighter

Posts: 5595 | From: Columbus, OH : The Soccer Capital of America | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
chillas
Coventry Mall Carol

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chillas     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PeterK:
I think you need to cut them a bit of slack. Unless the pot still had a "Teflon/NonStick" label on it, it can be hard to tell a non-stick pot from a normal one.

Yes, very hard ... you just have to look at it.

There's nothing hard about it.

[Confused]

--------------------
Come on, come on - spin a little tighter
Come on, come on - and the world's a little brighter

Posts: 5595 | From: Columbus, OH : The Soccer Capital of America | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LikeHeyScoob
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LikeHeyScoob   E-mail LikeHeyScoob   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
One of the first things I learned in college was how to cook with pot:

First, clean out all the seeds & stems, and break it up either by hand or with a blender/Cuisinart until you get a consistent fine grain.

Second, saute the pot with butter just long enough to brown it without burning it. This will help with the release of the THC.

Third, add the sauteed pot to your favorite brownie, cookie, muffin, or even pancake mix and cook as directed.

Fourth, find a comfortable place to sit for a few hours.

What?

--------------------
Support you local community newspaper! CNN.com probably won't be covering your child's spelling bee.

Posts: 609 | From: Rhode Island | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ladyknight
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ladyknight     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by chillas:
quote:
Originally posted by PeterK:
I think you need to cut them a bit of slack. Unless the pot still had a "Teflon/NonStick" label on it, it can be hard to tell a non-stick pot from a normal one.

Yes, very hard ... you just have to look at it.

There's nothing hard about it.

[Confused]

Sorry, chillas. I wouldn't know the difference between a black pot and Teflon/nonstick pot just by looking at it. Heck, I have some pots where I don't know if they're nonstick or not, and I use metal in them.

--------------------
Triumphs cannot be given. They must be taken, and the worse the odds, and the fiercer the resistance, the greater the honor. -- A Civil Campaign, Lois McMaster Bujold

Posts: 638 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Metal can be used in some nonstick pots. It depends on the kind of nonstick coating.

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ULTRAGLORIA
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ULTRAGLORIA     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lady Neeva:
He's also been trained in the fine art of why we don't wash my seasoned cast iron in the dishwasher. This was accomplished by not only making him pay for a new one (those things are expensive!) but making him season the new one. Now he's afraid of it lol.

Why buy a new one? You can re-season the old one just as easy as seasoning the new one.

--------------------
A Lie can run around the world before the Truth can get its boots on. - Terry Pratchett

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions; but everyone is not entitled to their own facts. - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Posts: 2495 | From: Connecticut | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BeachLife
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BeachLife   Author's Homepage   E-mail BeachLife   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Speaking as someone who cooks several meals a day, and has several non-stick pans in my arsenal, I have to ask; is that even true any more about non stick pans? I usually use plastic or wood utensils, but I won't even consider making a good sauce or gravy without a nonstick pan and a wire whisk. I have gone through a frying pan or two, but it took eight years to do it.

I also have people in my kitchen cooking or assiting with the cooking all the time. I am 100% certain that mixing a dish with a fork one time would not ruin my pans.

Are you sure that's what they did? Or is it possible that they burnt something and scraped it off with a fork?

--------------------
Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone.
Jack Dragon, On Being a Dragon
Confessions of a Dragon's scribe
Diary of my Heart Surgery

Posts: 12094 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sharpened Steel
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sharpened Steel   E-mail Sharpened Steel   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I would have to say cut them some slack as well. I know that in my house, with both my parents working and my sister and I out with activities a lot, there was very rarely any actual cooking with pots and pans. I don't even think that we have a wooden spoon, but we have plenty of non-stick pots. Most cooking I had to learn on my own: my mom can barely cook and my dad usually tried to get me and my sister to do it when we were old enough to "make up for all the times he's done it".

I'm not saying you shouldn't be upset about your pot, it's just that it's a common enough mistake. I suggest that if for some reason you *do* lend out your pots and pans again, add the requirement that lendee must use the appropriate utensils (make sure to tell them what that is) or else you will charge them for the damage. That way, they'll either use it properly, pay for a replacement, or decide not to borrow from you.

--------------------
Get used to his bad habits and decide whether you can put up with them...the rest of your life. 'Cause if you don't, then one day, you find yourself in the shed, sharpening the axe and idly wondering how thick the human skull really is.
-ChickyBee

Posts: 64 | From: Bristol, Rhode Island/Columbia, Maryland | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Finite Fourier Alchemy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Finite Fourier Alchemy   E-mail Finite Fourier Alchemy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BeachLife:
Speaking as someone who cooks several meals a day, and has several non-stick pans in my arsenal, I have to ask; is that even true any more about non stick pans? I usually use plastic or wood utensils, but I won't even consider making a good sauce or gravy without a nonstick pan and a wire whisk. I have gone through a frying pan or two, but it took eight years to do it.

I seem to get by fine with stainless steel saucepans. Sauce? Gravy? All good. The only troublesome thing is that egg will stick pretty well to stainless. Still not worth it to bother with nonstick saucepans . . .

My nonstick omlette pan is of course quite invaluable.

quote:
I also have people in my kitchen cooking or assiting with the cooking all the time. I am 100% certain that mixing a dish with a fork one time would not ruin my pans.
Your pans = properly powder-coated Teflon on a properly-designed substrate. Nonstick layer is thick, textured, and scratch-resistant. Made with Science.

College student pans = low-quality Teflon spraypainted onto low-quality steel. Nonstick layer is whisper-thin, textureless, and can be scratched with hard plastic. Mixing anything with a fork would immediately destroy it, because it is a $2 saucepan.

--------------------
Thinking about New England / missing old Japan

Posts: 2603 | From: Virginia | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BeachLife
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 211 posted      Profile for BeachLife   Author's Homepage   E-mail BeachLife   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Finite Fourier Alchemy:
...College student pans = low-quality Teflon spraypainted onto low-quality steel. Nonstick layer is whisper-thin, textureless, and can be scratched with hard plastic. Mixing anything with a fork would immediately destroy it, because it is a $2 saucepan.

This is a good point, though this pan has been referred to as expensive.

More to my point, even if these boys did have cooking experience, they might have been able to use a fork to stir their parent's non-stick pot with all the time, but not realized that this pan wouldn't hold up so well.

--------------------
Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone.
Jack Dragon, On Being a Dragon
Confessions of a Dragon's scribe
Diary of my Heart Surgery

Posts: 12094 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jonny T
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jonny T   Author's Homepage   E-mail Jonny T   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

First, clean out all the seeds & stems, and break it up either by hand or with a blender/Cuisinart until you get a consistent fine grain.

Second, saute the pot with butter just long enough to brown it without burning it. This will help with the release of the THC.

Third, add the sauteed pot to your favorite brownie, cookie, muffin, or even pancake mix and cook as directed.

What?

I remember talking to someone whose mum used to add some, ehm, "special" herbs to their Sunday lunch each week. Apparently helped make Sunday afternoons a lot more chilled out.

never got into the cooking thing myself. don't like using that much in one go.

so, um, yeah, non-stick pans, how about that?

--------------------
Hello, I love you - won't you tell me your name?
Hello! I'm good for nothing - will you love me just the same?

Greetings from the dark side...

Posts: 2731 | From: York/Reading, England | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tzarina
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tzarina     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Did you give them your wooden spoon when you handed over the pot? Why would someone who didn't have a pot have a wooden spoon?

I find it kind of hard to believe that one instance of stirring something with a fork would ruin a non-stick pan's surface.

I've used every utensil in my kitchen on my non-stick pans, including wire whisks and I've had my set for years without an issue. Sure, there are a few nicks in the surface of the most often used pans, but they're over 8 years old.

I can only imagine that the must have burned something and used a fork or knife to scrape it off. Most non-stick pans can take quite a bit of abuse.

Posts: 1359 | From: Akron, Ohio | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay Tea
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Tea   E-mail Jay Tea   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LikeHeyScoob:

What?

It's also a good idea to be very sure about how much you are using and how it's distributed in the food, before dishing up - I ate a muffin in Amsterdam and sat sipping beer watching Beavis and Butthead laughing my ass off for about 3 hours - I'd recommend it.

But my friend, about a third less my bodyweight, had an overdose and was very uncomfortable for a long time before being sick. When you eat it a lot can get into you system and a cup of tea won't help - be sure to use no more than one 16th of a gram per person of hash and even less of good weed, adjusting for people's size. We used to just crumble the stuff on pizza - easy to see who was getting what...

--------------------
This is where I come up with something right? Something really clever...

Posts: 6552 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spam & Cookies-mmm

Icon 506 posted      Profile for Spam & Cookies-mmm   E-mail Spam & Cookies-mmm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
^ Sorry. It's the only frying pan smiley we have.

quote:
The only troublesome thing is that egg will stick pretty well to stainless. Still not worth it to bother with nonstick saucepans . . .

The best omelette pan I ever had was stainless steel. As long as it was perfectly clean, nothing would stick to it. I was brokenhearted when the handle finally fell off. I guess I shouldn't have flipped the pancakes that way.

--------------------
Did you see the Announcement?
There's a new snopes message board!

Posts: 7767 | From: Paradise Ceded | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ThistleSoftware
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ThistleSoftware     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I like my mom's enamel saucepans and pots the best, but she says they are quite expensive.

I have never gotten the appeal of Teflon, but I don't think I've used the higher quality kind. The low quality ones are no more convenient or useful than other types of pans, especially because of the whole no-metal-utensils thing.

--------------------
Officially Heartless

Posts: 3065 | From: The Montgomery County of the West Coast- Berkeley, CA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
put it in writing
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for put it in writing   Author's Homepage   E-mail put it in writing       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ULTRAGUPPY:
quote:

Why buy a new one? You can re-season the old one just as easy as seasoning the new one.
I had exactly the same question. I've had a seasoned pot get de-seasoned by a helpful but clueless friend, and I simply reseasoned it. Good as new.

--------------------
and it's 1 - 2 - 3, what are we fighting for? don't ask me, I don't give a damn

Posts: 1319 | From: Florida | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LittleDuck
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LittleDuck   E-mail LittleDuck   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
You can buy silicone wisks now, for using in non-stick pots and pans. I don't know how good they are, as I distrust all silicone cookware.

--------------------
"Silly customer, you cannot hurt a Twinkie." -Apu (The Simpsons)

Posts: 2026 | From: 10 miles South of Boston | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rhiandmoi

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rhiandmoi   E-mail Rhiandmoi   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Silicone utensils are excellent. Heat resistant, safe in teflon pans, and very resistant to staining. I don't use non-stick pans because the smell of them being heated makes me sick. I am very sensitive to smells.

--------------------
I think that hyperbole is the single greatest factor contributing to the decline of society. - My friend Pat.

What is .02 worth?

Posts: 8745 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snapdragonfly
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snapdragonfly     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rhiandmoi:
Silicone utensils are excellent. Heat resistant, safe in teflon pans, and very resistant to staining. I don't use non-stick pans because the smell of them being heated makes me sick. I am very sensitive to smells.

I sure do like my silicone spatulas. They don't crumble and burn up like the rubber ones used to.

--------------------
"Wolves, dragons and vampires, man. Draw the nut-bars like big ol' nut-bar magnets." ~evilrabbit

(snurched because one of my nutbar family members is all about wolves and another one is all about dragons...)(with apologies to surfcitydogdad)

Posts: 2397 | From: Texarkana, TX | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Hacker Barbie

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hacker Barbie   E-mail Hacker Barbie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Precisely why I buy my kitchen appliances exclusively at Woolworth (a discounter chain). If it goes kaputt, I´m not upset. Much better for all parties involved, and because I live in a house populated by students, there are many parties involved.

Hacker "who broke my blender?" Barbie

Posts: 2351 | From: Germany | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Pogue Ma-humbug
Happy Christmas (Malls are Open)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pogue Ma-humbug   E-mail Pogue Ma-humbug   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Second method only works with family, spouses, and very good friends -- hand them the store receipt for the replacement. Now that he knows how much a good non-stick pan costs, hubby has become much gentler with them.

The last one I bought cost less than 10 bucks.

Pogue

--------------------
Let's drink to the causes in your life:
Your family, your friends, the union, your wife.

Posts: 11325 | From: Kentucky | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Casey, making hot chocolate
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Casey, making hot chocolate   Author's Homepage   E-mail Casey, making hot chocolate   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Spam & Cookies-mmm:
^ Sorry. It's the only frying pan smiley we have.

quote:
The only troublesome thing is that egg will stick pretty well to stainless. Still not worth it to bother with nonstick saucepans . . .

The best omelette pan I ever had was stainless steel. As long as it was perfectly clean, nothing would stick to it. I was brokenhearted when the handle finally fell off. I guess I shouldn't have flipped the pancakes that way.
I can make a pretty nice omlette with a cast iron skillet, surprisingly. [Big Grin]

--------------------
"To be or not to be! That is the question! Now, will you answer, dare, double dare, or take the Physical Challenge?" --Mark Summers as Hamlet
Countdown: 177 days and counting... or less. My blog. 14 keyboards owed.

Posts: 5584 | From: Ohio | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jenn
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jenn   E-mail Jenn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LeaflessMapleTree:
The fact that these guys can't cook is sad, too.

What leads you to believe that these guys can't cook? The only information we have is that the pot came back clean but scratched. We know nothing at all about what they made or how good it was. I've ruined a fair bit of cookware and injured myself a few times just by being careless but my food turns out quite well.

--------------------
"You're the opposite of troll. It's a compliment!"

Posts: 12086 | From: Alberta | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Singing in the Drizzle
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Singing in the Drizzle     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
If I just could get my wife to stop using metal on the non stick pans. I have a nice set of cast iron pots and pans she use all the metal thing she wants on them. She can also turn the temp to high with out burning them as well.

The only reason my does not use the cast iron it that it is to heavy for her.

Posts: 597 | From: Bellingham, WA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages