snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » Rantidote » Wow. I think I'm finally screwed - Chpt. 13 anyone? (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Wow. I think I'm finally screwed - Chpt. 13 anyone?
snapdragonfly
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snapdragonfly     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
There are some real downsides to bankruptcy. These may or may not be even worse than the alternative. It's all relative and depends entirely on the situation of the individual.

--------------------
"Wolves, dragons and vampires, man. Draw the nut-bars like big ol' nut-bar magnets." ~evilrabbit

(snurched because one of my nutbar family members is all about wolves and another one is all about dragons...)(with apologies to surfcitydogdad)

Posts: 2397 | From: Texarkana, TX | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BeachLife
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BeachLife   Author's Homepage   E-mail BeachLife   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It does entirely depend upon the situation. I think what Errata has been trying to point out is that it is often surprisingly not so difficult to fix the situation without bankrupty. A strict budget and a part time job delivering pizzas could fix the problem entirely in less than two year.

And maybe delivering pizzas won't work, but unless someone is already working 60+ hours a week, or raising kids, chances are they can take a second job and make a huge impact on such a debt.

Beach...the two year outlook is a whole lot brighter than a bankruptcy...Life!

--------------------
Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone.
Jack Dragon, On Being a Dragon
Confessions of a Dragon's scribe
Diary of my Heart Surgery

Posts: 12094 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ryda Wong, EBfCo.
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ryda Wong, EBfCo.   E-mail Ryda Wong, EBfCo.   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BeachLife:
It does entirely depend upon the situation. I think what Errata has been trying to point out is that it is often surprisingly not so difficult to fix the situation without bankrupty. A strict budget and a part time job delivering pizzas could fix the problem entirely in less than two year.

And maybe delivering pizzas won't work, but unless someone is already working 60+ hours a week, or raising kids, chances are they can take a second job and make a huge impact on such a debt.

Sad thing is, I'm not working 60 hrs a week, but with the commute, I'm out of the house from 6:30-6:30 (or 7), depending. Hence another reason why I'm looking for a denver job.

--------------------
So many spankings! It feels so good! But at the same time, I don't care about meeting your family! - I'mNotDedalus:

Posts: 3216 | From: Denver, CO | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
MaxKaladin
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MaxKaladin   E-mail MaxKaladin   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I had a similar problem with credit cards. I got in over my head and tried to use credit counseling to get out. That was a mistake. They made a lot of promises they never delivered on. I ended up getting a personal loan to pay off my credit cards. That turned out to be much faster than the credit counseling plan. Not everyone can do that though.

I've heard of a simple but effective way to deal with credit card debt and I figure it can't hurt to repeat it. Basically, what you do is pay off your credit cards one at a time.

1. First, pick a single credit card. I've heard different schools of thought on which one it should be. One school says it should be the one with the highest interest and another says it should be the one with the lowest balance. Picking the lowest balance means you can finish paying off one card more quickly and open up some wiggle room in your budget. Picking the highest interest means you pay less interest over time. There may be other problems that effect this decision like being over the balance on a card or something.

2. Pay the absolute minimum payment you can for all your cards except the one you picked. For the one you picked, pay as much as you can. How much that is depends on your situation, obviously.

3. Do this every month until you've paid that card off completely.

4. Repeat until all of your cards are paid off. Once you've paid off one card, you should be able to make larger payments on the next card you've picked. That means you can pay that card off faster and you get a sort of cascade effect.

The drawback is that you need enough room in your budget to make a higher payment on the first card.

Posts: 716 | From: San Antonio, TX | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Venus
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Venus   E-mail Venus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Sell your blood. I'm not kidding. There is a place locally that was offering 200 dollars for a bag of plasma. Unfortunately they wouldn't accept me because i had been born in England. It's not something you can do very often, but it's still money you wouldn't have otherwise had.
Posts: 177 | From: Orlando, Florida | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ThistleSoftware
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ThistleSoftware     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think TurquoiseGirl was talking about selling plasma twice a week.

ETA: It is also possible to sell hair, from what I understand, and I know women who have sold their used underwear online.

--------------------
Officially Heartless

Posts: 3065 | From: The Montgomery County of the West Coast- Berkeley, CA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
quiltsbypam
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for quiltsbypam   E-mail quiltsbypam   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
[/hijack]With the stories of the people you've helped, Ryda, we may need to rethink the "EBfCO" label. I don't believe it applies.[hijack]

--------------------
"No Biblical hell could ever be worse than the state of perpetual inconsequence." Beatrice in Dangerous Beauty

Posts: 1816 | From: Cayuga County, NY | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kev
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kev   E-mail Kev   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Venus:
Sell your blood. I'm not kidding. There is a place locally that was offering 200 dollars for a bag of plasma. Unfortunately they wouldn't accept me because i had been born in England. It's not something you can do very often, but it's still money you wouldn't have otherwise had.

200? Are you sure about that? It's usually more like 20.

--------------------
Austin Stars Drum & Bugle Corps | Kev's MySpace

Posts: 1126 | From: Austin, TX | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
doofusmongerbeep

Icon 1 posted      Profile for doofusmongerbeep     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kev:
quote:

Agreed. I donated plasma a couple of times and I got $20 each time. They'd also only let you donate twice a week.

ETA: for clarity

Posts: 150 | From: Austin, TX | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ryda Wong, EBfCo.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ryda Wong, EBfCo.   E-mail Ryda Wong, EBfCo.   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ThistleSoftware:

ETA: It is also possible to sell hair, from what I understand, and I know women who have sold their used underwear online.

I don't have enough undies to spare, unless the want the ones the dog chews the crotch out of. Bad, bad puppy!

--------------------
So many spankings! It feels so good! But at the same time, I don't care about meeting your family! - I'mNotDedalus:

Posts: 3216 | From: Denver, CO | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ryda Wong, EBfCo.

quote:
Originally posted by quiltsbypam:
[/hijack]With the stories of the people you've helped, Ryda, we may need to rethink the "EBfCO" label. I don't believe it applies.[hijack]

Hell, yes, it does! Just 'cause I'm a nice person doesn't mean you can take my label away! I like being a mean, bad person [Razz]

--------------------

Buckleupp
Away in a Manager

Icon 500 posted      Profile for Buckleupp   E-mail Buckleupp   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ryda Wong, EBfCo.:
[QUOTE]I don't have enough undies to spare, unless the want the ones the dog chews the crotch out of.

Crotchless ones will sell for even more!!

--------------------
HA! That's so funny I forgot to laugh...excluding that first Ha. -Stewie Griffin

Posts: 112 | From: Albuquerque, NM | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Buckleupp
Away in a Manager

Icon 500 posted      Profile for Buckleupp   E-mail Buckleupp   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
EDIT - sorry for the double post. I'm still learning the ropes.

--------------------
HA! That's so funny I forgot to laugh...excluding that first Ha. -Stewie Griffin

Posts: 112 | From: Albuquerque, NM | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rebochan the Retail Reindeer
Good King Wal-Mart

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rebochan the Retail Reindeer   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ryda, all I can offer is that I really hope this works out for you.

...I think I missed the thread, but does "EBfCO" stand for "Evil Bitch from Colorado?" I just want to her EBfCOness' title correct.

--------------------
"One original thought is worth a thousand mindless quotings." -- Diogenes

"Vote Republican! We won't burn you at the stake for your religious beliefs or slaughter your family and steal your land." -- Ramblin' Dave

Posts: 3555 | From: Florida | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ryda Wong, EBfCo.

quote:
Originally posted by Rebochan the Retail Reindeer:

...I think I missed the thread, but does "EBfCO" stand for "Evil Bitch from Colorado?" I just want to her EBfCOness' title correct.

It does indeed! Dubbed so by Signora herself. I can't even remember which thread it was, but I said something really, really callous (but honest) about my inclinations, and I just liked the title. It fits.

Ryda "Although I'm aiming to extend my grasp to the entire front range "EBftFR", then the mountain states "EBftMS", and then onward and outward" Wong

--------------------

Spamamander in a pear tree
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spamamander in a pear tree     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I don't have enough undies to spare, unless the want the ones the dog chews the crotch out of. Bad, bad puppy!

Completely OT: I'm SO glad I'm not the only one with this problem. Aside from a couple thongs that are carefully hidden in my sock drawer, I don't think I own a whole pair of undies. I've more or less solved the problem by simply not wearing any except for a couple pairs of 'granny panties' for that special time of the month. [Razz]

--------------------
"There is a race between mankind and the universe. Mankind is trying to build bigger, better, faster, and more foolproof machines. The universe is trying to build bigger, better, and faster fools. So far the universe is winning." -Albert Einstein

Posts: 1058 | From: Yakima, WA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rebochan the Retail Reindeer
Good King Wal-Mart

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rebochan the Retail Reindeer   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I always have trouble with dogs going after bras in my home. They find them SO fun to fling around.

--------------------
"One original thought is worth a thousand mindless quotings." -- Diogenes

"Vote Republican! We won't burn you at the stake for your religious beliefs or slaughter your family and steal your land." -- Ramblin' Dave

Posts: 3555 | From: Florida | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NeeCD
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NeeCD   E-mail NeeCD       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MaxKaladin:
I've heard of a simple but effective way to deal with credit card debt and I figure it can't hurt to repeat it. Basically, what you do is pay off your credit cards one at a time. ~snip~

I had several thousands spread over about 5 cards, and that's the method I've used, only I didn't realize it was actually a real method, it was just the only thing I could think of to do at the time. I'm down to two cards now, so it's working, slowly but surely. Unfortunately, that method only works if you can afford to put a little extra into the card to begin with. If you're already making minimum payments and struggling, it's probably not a good solution.

Part of my debt was due to helping an ex-bf, too - he was starting up a business and I wanted to be supportive. It's a better reason than some, but it still meant I was in debt and he wasn't in a good position to pay me back, so the end result was the same.

Sorry I don't really have any good advice to give, but Good Luck with everything, Ryda.

--------------------
I wondered why the Frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
What does "Bookachow", "YOMANK!" and other lingo mean?

Posts: 1720 | From: Stafford Hamlet, OR | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Signora Del Drago
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Signora Del Drago     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Rebochan the Retail Reindeer:

It does indeed! Dubbed so by Signora herself. I can't even remember which thread it was, but I said something really, really callous (but honest) about my inclinations, and I just liked the title. It fits.

Ryda "Although I'm aiming to extend my grasp to the entire front range "EBftFR", then the mountain states "EBftMS", and then onward and outward" Wong

I couldn't remember why I dubbed you EBfCo., so I did a search and found this. I know you got a kick out of it, but I just want to be sure everyone else knows it was all in good fun. [Big Grin] And it gave me a little "Oh, wow!" feeling when I saw that you had added that title to your snopes handle. [Smile]

--------------------
"This air we're breathing. Oxygen, isn't it?"~I’mNotDedalus, impersonating Vincent D’Onofrio.|"Sometimes trying to communicate can be like walking through a minefield."~wanderwoman
"Give people a break. It's not easy doing a life."~Joshua Halberstam

Posts: 4020 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Venus

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Venus   E-mail Venus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by doofusmongerbeep:
quote:
quote:

Agreed. I donated plasma a couple of times and I got $20 each time. They'd also only let you donate twice a week.

It was definately a three figure offering price. That's why i looked into it in the first place, the amount was enough to cover my monthly student loan payment. But you could only do it once every 6 weeks.
Posts: 177 | From: Orlando, Florida | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troberg
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troberg     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Other people have said most of what I was going to say, so I'll skip most of it.

What you need to do now is to buy yourself some time. Talk to the CC company, explain the situation and get them to agree to a plan. It might be easier if you can convince them that it's a temporary thing, people do occasionally stumble into temporary economical problems. Around here, they may even agree to completely suspend payments for a short period if you can show them that it will increase their chances of getting their money back in the slightly longer run.

Use that time to improve your economy, primarily by getting another job or a second job, by lowering expenses (do you really need a mobile phone as well as a fixed phone, buy cheaper food, look over you insurance (most people have overlapping insurances), reducing living costs and so on). If possible, call in some favours, preferably from the friends already in debt to you. These favours do not have to be cash, they could just as well be help with getting a job or some other way to improve your economy.

While "one-shot" income is useful, especially with such a comparatively low debt, focus on improving your long term economy (better job, lower expenses) on a more permanent basis. The CC company likes that, as it shows commitment and it also makes you a better future customer. You need to look reliable and trustworthy, so you'll be worth the risk they'll be taking on you.

Be very matter of factly when talking to them. Don't wriggle or appear shifty. Just do something like:

"Due to unforeseen events, my personal economy has taken a temporary hit, which makes it impossible to keep up with the current payment schedule. I have every intention to honour my debt, but I require some time to get my economy running again. I believe that this plan *present payment plan here* is what I can deliver at the moment, but within X months, through actions X, Y and Z I expect my situation to have improved to a point where regular payments can resume."

That proves that you take it seriously, that you know your economy, that you have a plan and that you are committed to that plan. That's what the CC company likes to hear, and that's what they can be prepared to bet on. In your case, the sum is not that big (for a credit card company), so I think something like this should be enough.

Does it show that I have helped people make such speaches before? [Smile]

quote:
The internet being what it is, I'm sure there's someone with exactly that fetish that is prepared to pay handsomely.

----

Most of all, remember that there is no shame in being in a debt that you can't repay immediately, at least not if it's the first time and you have an honest intention to do what you can to pay it back as soon as possible. At least not when it is such a small sum.

We are only human, and sometimes even the best laid plans go bad. Problems will always happen, that's not the important bit. What's important is how you handle them.

--------------------
/Troberg

Posts: 4360 | From: Borlänge, Sweden | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by doofusmongerbeep:
quote:
quote:

It was definately a three figure offering price. That's why i looked into it in the first place, the amount was enough to cover my monthly student loan payment. But you could only do it once every 6 weeks.
If it's every six weeks, I would imagine it is a blood product other than plasma.

--------------------
"When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty."--George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 19266 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Venus

Could very well be. It was three years ago so all i remember is that it was a three figure sum and the taking of blood was involved. What they pulled out of the blood i don't remember, i just assumed it was plasma.
MaxKaladin
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MaxKaladin   E-mail MaxKaladin   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by NeeCD:
Unfortunately, that method only works if you can afford to put a little extra into the card to begin with. If you're already making minimum payments and struggling, it's probably not a good solution.

That's true, but if you get some extra money by taking a second job or selling plasma or something like that, you may still be able to swing it.
Posts: 716 | From: San Antonio, TX | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ange84
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ange84   E-mail ange84   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought i would have to file for bankruptcy at 17 due to the person i went to for help with my tax return making a mistake and it coming back as a $7000 bill. Luckily we fixed it( it was only supposed to be a $70 bill)It's not a nice thoughtn though. I can't really offer any advice other than what others have given already, although i do know where you can get truck driving jobs that pay $100 000 a year [Smile]

--------------------
Love is a sudden revelation: a kiss is always a discovery

Posts: 902 | From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
eif
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for eif     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Could very well be. It was three years ago so all i remember is that it was a three figure sum and the taking of blood was involved. What they pulled out of the blood i don't remember, i just assumed it was plasma.

When I was in college back in the 80's, a company dealing with blood products like plasma would pay about $20 for a pint. But if you recently had mono they would pay $200. It's all depends on what is in your system at the time.

--------------------
Where I come from we believe all sorts of things that aren't true. We call it History.

Posts: 506 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Avril

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Avril     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It's too bad Karyn Bosnak has already used up the online begging idea...(for the uninitiated, please see www.savekaryn.com )

Sorry. But the 20K credit card debt reminded me of her.

I don't have much to say, other than maybe to go the ebay route, and to ask whether you expect gifts this holiday season which you might either hint to those close to you should be cash or secretly sell online?

Avril

--------------------
There is no failure unless one stops. --Ray Bradbury

Posts: 2115 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BeachLife
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 211 posted      Profile for BeachLife   Author's Homepage   E-mail BeachLife   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Avril:
It's too bad Karyn Bosnak has already used up the online begging idea...(for the uninitiated, please see www.savekaryn.com )

Sorry. But the 20K credit card debt reminded me of her.

I don't have much to say, other than maybe to go the ebay route, and to ask whether you expect gifts this holiday season which you might either hint to those close to you should be cash or secretly sell online?

Avril

I did not give to Karyn, but I did coorespond with her. Here's the email that made the daily me-mail:

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DATE: August 8, 2002
TO: Karyn
SUBJECT: *sigh*

Argh and avast yea maties, I suppose this pirate will get no response from the beautiful Karyn.

I'll just have to donate my money to NAAPP (National Association for the Advancement of Pirate People) instead.

Jack the spurred King of pirates
:::::
TO: Jack
SUBJECT: Re: *sigh*

Dear Jack,

So sorry to hear you are a pirate. However, I am happy to hear that me ignoring you helped out the National Association for the Advancement of Pirate People. Let me ask you, how big is your sword? I was just wondering...

Karyn

PS - Send a buck if you can!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------
Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone.
Jack Dragon, On Being a Dragon
Confessions of a Dragon's scribe
Diary of my Heart Surgery

Posts: 12094 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TurquoiseGirl
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TurquoiseGirl   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ThistleSoftware:

I do, actually. Depending on how much you weigh, at the center where I donate, you can make between $45-55 a week tax free (they take, depending upon your weight 730-780 mL per donation-- and it's replaced with saline). There are also additonal incentives sometimes, like during Nov-Dec you get an extra $ a week. It's not a great lot of income, but it does help. The only thing is that after a donation, I am pretty much wiped for the day and I am a bit uncertain about the long-term effects. I know that it does lower your immune system a bit. Donation centers vary in quality, so make sure that you find one that is careful about sterility.

I also find that, since I am bleeding for it and all, I am much more careful about what I spend the money on. I know it sounds cold-hearted, but I am less likely to give the money away to others. ("Is the craptacular wrapping paper my nephew is selling worth bleeding for for 20 minutes? I don't think so!" )

It was just the one year anniversary of my being granted Chapter 7 (divorce and ExH not living up to MSA). It is a bit of financial purgatory actually, but not totally sucky. I did get to keep my house and my car, because I didn't have much equity ( I am still paying on those loans, obviously). I did, however, file before the new laws took effect, and it is probable that I would have lost both under the new system.

The main draw-back is that (of course) I cannot get a credit card, which makes travelling for work a bit hard. I also am quite aware of the need to save for an emergency-- which I do do.

--------------------
There are people who drive really nice cars who feel that [those] cars won't be as special if other people drive them too. Where I come from, we call those people "selfish self-satisfied gits." -Chloe

Posts: 6995 | From: New Mexico | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages