snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » Rantidote » Office Waste

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Office Waste
PsychoWoman
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 15 posted      Profile for PsychoWoman   E-mail PsychoWoman   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I am fed up with how much needless waste of paper is going on around my office.

First of all, building management has decided that less than full rolls of toilet paper in the restrooms look tacky, so they replace the semi-used rolls with brand new ones every hour or two. What do they do with the depleted rolls? Garbage city, baby. (And I am not talking about one or two bathrooms in the building. There are four floors with both men's and women's restrooms, each containing 8 stalls.)

Second, we have ancient feeder printers in the office that have to use to run financial and statistical reports. Between each of these (usually one page)reports, two blank sheets spit out. Some of us are saving the blank pages and donating them to a co-worker's daughter's school, but the bulk of it ends up in the trash or the so-called recycle bins (which ends up being trash because certain co-workers can't tell the difference between the blue recycle bins and the black trash cans, but that is another rant).

Finally, part of my job is to run monthly reports on our clients. I go through a box of 2500 count paper within a few days. Inevitably, when it is time for those who I run the reports to actually do something with the reports, they claim they never received them and would I be so kind to print the reports again. It has gotten to the point where I am running the to-do sheet twice and stashing a copy in my desk as proof, then emailing not only my direct supervisor, but the two head honchos on the date they are completed.

It's been said that with computers, we will be a paperless society. The only paper I am saving is not using a paper cup and drinking straight from the bottle. [Razz]

Thanks for the rant-space. Anyone else have examples of office waste (other than crappy co-workers)?

Posts: 201 | From: Tampa Bay area, Florida | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Aud
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aud   E-mail Aud   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Right there with you PsychoWoman!
When they have board meetings here the entire executive department is in a tizzy running off stuff for the 6 inch thick board book. Half the time they find minor mistakes that mean running off another set - not to mention last minute changes from the board members themselves. They tried to go to an online system but none of the old fogies on the board wanted to leave their paper behind. They ALL have laptops so I'm not sure why they were so devoted to paper.

People at my office are pretty good about recycling paper. When I looked into cardboard recycling it turned into a huge deal. We'd have to get a second receptacle on the parking lot and that needed a larger cement pad.

Every year we have to get new letterhead because they insist that the current association president be listed. Since this changes yearly they throw out boxes of unusable letterhead. They also started having the date of our annual meeting at the bottom so last year when Katrina hit and they decided not to meet in New Orleans they had to get new letterhead then too. Itís crazy! I took boxes and boxes to my daughterís day care and use it all the time at home. When I gave a talk all of my handouts were on the back of old letterhead. We still ended up putting a bunch in recycling.

Posts: 1168 | From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
RLobinske
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RLobinske   E-mail RLobinske   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Every year we have to get new letterhead because they insist that the current association president be listed. Since this changes yearly they throw out boxes of unusable letterhead. They also started having the date of our annual meeting at the bottom so last year when Katrina hit and they decided not to meet in New Orleans they had to get new letterhead then too. Itís crazy! I took boxes and boxes to my daughterís day care and use it all the time at home. When I gave a talk all of my handouts were on the back of old letterhead. We still ended up putting a bunch in recycling. [/QB]
I'm guessing that they don't like the idea of electronic letterhead that work through word processors, so you print the letterhead with the letter.

I'm glad the county I work for has gone over to those, since they insist on having each county commissioner listed.

Posts: 296 | From: Crawfordville, Florida | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Victoria J
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Victoria J   E-mail Victoria J   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PsychoWoman:
First of all, building management has decided that less than full rolls of toilet paper in the restrooms look tacky, so they replace the semi-used rolls with brand new ones every hour or two. What do they do with the depleted rolls? Garbage city, baby. (And I am not talking about one or two bathrooms in the building. There are four floors with both men's and women's restrooms, each containing 8 stalls.)

They should install loose leaf toilet paper dispensers. If they are wasting that much toilet paper the new dispensers would probably pay for themselves fairly quickly, and there would be no way to see whether the paper was running out. They would just need someone to go around and keep filling them up.

I think I prefer that sort of dispenser for public bathrooms anyway. No struggling to find the end of a roll, and you don't have different people handling the paper. The downside is that they are much more commonly left empty, but if your place of work can send someone round to change the paper every 2 hours they should be able to get them refilled often enough.

Victoria J

--------------------
Post accompanied by maniacal laughter.

Posts: 577 | From: London, UK | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LolaRennt
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LolaRennt   E-mail LolaRennt   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Sarbox has pretty much guaranteed that the idea of a virtual office is a pipe dream - at least for accounting departments of publicly traded companies. Thank you Enron, Arthur Andersen, Ernst & Young, KPMG, PWC, Waste Management, Sunbeam, Worldcom, Fannie Mae and various other scoundrels. I'm sure Deloitte was involved with something as well but can't recall what that was.

Anyway, the end result is that I have found myself printing out far more than what I used to print out.

Ok now I'm off to invest in a paper company...

LR

Posts: 780 | From: Dallas, TX | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Buckleupp
Away in a Manager

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Buckleupp   E-mail Buckleupp   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
You could enlist one or two people from each floor, via a memo or poster, to collect the half-rolls (or, if it's being done by maintenance, conspire with them to collect them) and donate them monthly to a homeless shelter or something.

I think the food industry runs into this a lot because of health department rules - paper cups that are still perfectly fine have to be thrown away because they were touched by a customer, for example - and the amount of food that is tossed for stupid reasons would boggle the mind.

But offices are rising to be toe to toe with the food industry, waste-wise...the office I worked for last year spent over ten thousand dollars on Christmas cards, approximately 25 percent of which went undelivered, or were returned for bad addresses. They required everything to be printed and/or copied in color "for legal reasons," even if there were NO colors on the page besides black and white...you could see every shade of gray on each dust particle on the page. I could depress you further by telling you that this was a government contractor. Your tax dollars at rest.

--------------------
HA! That's so funny I forgot to laugh...excluding that first Ha. -Stewie Griffin

Posts: 112 | From: Albuquerque, NM | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Paulie Jay
O Little Down-Payment of Bethlehem

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Paulie Jay     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It breaks my heart to thee the paper waste around my workplace. And my waste is government sanctioned...

I work for Customs. Let's say you've landed in Sydney, and because you are a nervous flyer you brought along a couple of tablets containing diazepam (or other such nerve calming agent) but, due to the fact that it's only a couple of piddling tablets, you have neglected to bring along your doctor's certificate.

Well, not only would I have to take those two tablets off you, I would have to issue you a seizure notice, then an actual file would be created into which goes a copy of the seizure notice plus paperwork tracking those tablet's journey through the airport, on to the Detained Goods section (where two tiny labels are printed out onto a whole sheet of A4 paper), then to the Queen's Bond, and then ultimately to the destruction of said tablets in 30 days time (page upon page, upon page, upon page of "chain of evidence" records). Then the file would sit on the shelves for seven years.

And that's just for a couple of Valium. Can you imaging the sort of paperwork that would be generated if you had a kilo of heroin strapped to your body..?

--------------------
All the way with Paulie Jay

Posts: 476 | From: Sydney, NSW, Australia | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
creative gal
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for creative gal     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This topic is really making me wonder what happens to the various promotional flyers we have at work advertising special events. I've had to edit some today, (manually, with a red pen... for 3 and 3/4 hours! Opps, sorry about the hijack, just still annoyed!) and it looked like I had a completely fresh box, even though we'd had the same flyers last week. We must have at least 3 different sets of flyers for different events, and the flyers are displayed all around the store, so there's quite a shocking waste of paper if it's not all reused or recycled.

--------------------
Come sail your ships around me
And burn your bridges down..

Posts: 232 | From: UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Codeô is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages