snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » Rantidote » "You can't say that..." (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: "You can't say that..."
Richard W
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard W   E-mail Richard W   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
We very rarely get to vote directly for legislation in the UK, ThistleSmelt. I've never had the opportunity to vote in a referendum. Scottish and Welsh people have had referenda on devolution, but those are the only ones I can even think of that have happened while I've been aware of politics...

Having looked at the US sample ballot somebody posted a while ago, I'm glad I don't have to vote for that sort of petty legalese, but there are several issues lately that I wish we had been asked about - even if some of them would almost certainly have gone against my preference.

(On the other hand, the ones I wish I'd been asked about were decided against my preference anyway, and I can think of other decisions that I approve of that might have been declined in a referendum, so I suppose it balances out.)

quote:
Methuselah said:
You may not have voted for a fascist...but you still voted for a crook (using your descriptions). I disagree that this equates to a good solution.

Well, that's why it's the "lesser of two evils". But Fourth Man's argument was more subtle than that - he counted abstention as being half a vote for each of them, so the choice was between one vote for a crook, or half a vote for a crook and half a vote for a fascist.

I've never thought of it like that before, but it makes sense to me.

Posts: 8725 | From: Ipswich - the UK's 9th Best Place to Sleep! | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
trollface
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trollface   Author's Homepage   E-mail trollface   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cold DecEmbra Brings The Sleet:
"You're not even allowed to photocopy your arse at the office Christmas party any more becaue of health and safety!"

Boobs, presumably, are still okay, though?

--------------------
seriously , everyone on here , just trys to give someone crap about something they do !! , its shitting me to tears.

Posts: 16061 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Silkenreindeer
Wassaleing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Silkenreindeer   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
"You can't even say Happy Christmas any more in case you offend someone!"

God, some people!

"Happy Christmas"??
"HAPPY NFBSKing CHRISTMAS"?!?!?!?!

I am so offended. Don't you people know that the saying is "Merry Christmas"? Jeez. Damned furriners. Oh wait, I'm not allowed to say that, am I?

[I'll get it. [fish] ]

Posts: 494 | From: Epping, Essex, UK | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Roadie
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roadie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by trollface:
quote:
"You're not even allowed to photocopy your arse at the office Christmas party any more becaue of health and safety!"

Arses are still okay as long as you use sanitizing wipes afterwards, I thought.

--------------------
"The little local company I buy from has CHEAP shipping and I have met their goats." (snapdragonfly)

"And that's one lost erection I'll never get back! You hear me Dan! I'm owed an erection!" (I'mNotDedalus)

Posts: 2658 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Froggy Mom
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Froggy Mom   E-mail Froggy Mom   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

As long as you're not lactating. [lol]
Posts: 24 | From: Colorado | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Purple Iguana
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Purple Iguana   Author's Homepage   E-mail Purple Iguana   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Froggy Mom:
quote:
quote:

As long as you're not lactating. [lol]
DAMN... no Iguana boobs then... *sigh*

--------------------
They just don't make crazed, beserk robots like they used to. --Sheen Estevez, Jimmy Neutron, Boy Genius

If I manage to post something swipe-worthy that you would like to make your sig, you may do so with my blessing.

Posts: 2486 | From: East Stroudsburg, PA | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Richard W
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard W   E-mail Richard W   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought the problem with photocopying arses was that sitting on the copier can break the glass, rather than the hygiene issue. Maybe both.
Posts: 8725 | From: Ipswich - the UK's 9th Best Place to Sleep! | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ThistleSoftware
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ThistleSoftware     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Richard W:
I thought the problem with photocopying arses was that sitting on the copier can break the glass, rather than the hygiene issue. Maybe both.

The use of boobs neatly sidesteps this problem as well.

--------------------
Officially Heartless

Posts: 3065 | From: The Montgomery County of the West Coast- Berkeley, CA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LeaflessMapleTree
The twelve shopping days 'til Christmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LeaflessMapleTree   E-mail LeaflessMapleTree   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Silkenreindeer:
quote:

God, some people!

"Happy Christmas"??

I am so offended. Don't you people know that the saying is "Merry Christmas"? Jeez. Damned furriners. Oh wait, I'm not allowed to say that, am I?

[I'll get it. [fish] ]

I thought (and mind you, this is just according to the Harry Potter books) that "Happy Christmas" was a more common greeting in the UK than "Merry Christmas".

--------------------
"For me, religion is like a rhinoceros: I don't have one, and I'd really prefer not to be trampled by yours. But it is impressive, and even beautiful, and, to be honest, the world would be slightly worse off if there weren't any."
-Silas Sparkhammer

Posts: 3239 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
GenYus
Away in a Manager's Special

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GenYus   E-mail GenYus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Hence the development of the Xerox Assjet 790 copier.

--------------------
IIRC, it wasn't the shoe bomber's loud prayers that sparked the takedown by the other passengers; it was that he was trying to light his shoe on fire. Very, very different. Canuckistan

Posts: 3694 | From: Arizona | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mosherette
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mosherette     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ThistleSoftware:
quote:

The use of boobs neatly sidesteps this problem as well.
Ha!

That's all I have to say to that one [Wink]

--------------------
Silence should never under any circumstances be construed as agreement. A lot of the time, it's simply a reflection that someone just said something so stupid that no response could possibly do it justice. - Ramblin' Dave

Posts: 8528 | From: Nottingham, England | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Silkenreindeer
Wassaleing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Silkenreindeer   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LeaflessMapleTree:
quote:
Originally posted by Silkenreindeer:
quote:

God, some people!

"Happy Christmas"??

[I'll get it. [fish] ]

I thought (and mind you, this is just according to the Harry Potter books) that "Happy Christmas" was a more common greeting in the UK than "Merry Christmas".
It is. Damned furriners. Never mind that I'm living in a country populated and ruled by them. They're all furrin. I'm 100% pure red-blooded American, Oh Say Can You See, God Bless the Flag, Support Bush and Vote for our Troops, yessiree.

Of course, these days you're not allowed to say patriotic things. It's PC gone mad, I tell you. Praise God and Pass the Tinfoil.

Posts: 494 | From: Epping, Essex, UK | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
GenYus

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GenYus   E-mail GenYus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
[hijack]

The photocopying thing has now got me wondering. And since I'm not searching for it while at work, is there a website devoted to pictures of breasts on scanners or photocopiers? I know there is one for cats that are sleeping/laying on scanners.

--------------------
IIRC, it wasn't the shoe bomber's loud prayers that sparked the takedown by the other passengers; it was that he was trying to light his shoe on fire. Very, very different. Canuckistan

Posts: 3694 | From: Arizona | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ottercreek
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ottercreek   E-mail ottercreek   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jonny T:
Gagh.

I am tired of people - from whatever position, pinion and background - making comments like (presented as examples only):

"...you're not allowed to say anything bad about Muslims now."

"But of course, you can't criticise Israel, because of the Holocaust."

"You can't say anything against gays now."

"They come here and you're not allowed to say anything about it."

GAGH

YES YOU CAN NFBSKING SAY THAT! YOU JUST NFBSKING DID! NO NFBSKING NFBSK IS STOPPING YOU! GROW THE NFBSK UP!

People disagreeing with what you're saying, or wishing you didn't say it, does not equate to 'not being allowed' to say it.

NFBSKing martyr-complex-having-mother-NFBSKers.

and...breathe

As far as I am concerned, you CAN say whatever you want. It's a free country. You may not look good in the process, but you have that right. As I see it, and I have gotten into some disagreements with other snopesters here, when people say, "you can't say that," they likely mean that there tends to be more "oh you bigot" comments made when certain groups are mentioned in a bad light than others, or that legitimate concerns are sometimes met with "that's just what the bad people said and did years back and look what happened" with some groups but not others, or at least to a much lesser degree, or that you will hear the ironic, "so typical of people in your group to generalize." As far as I am concerned, you may say what you will to "me and my." I am a big boy, I can take it. But don't turn around and tell me how bad I am if I simply say the same thing about "you and your."

I once took a vehemently critically article about how one group of people is so bad, cut and pasted it onto a blog, but replaced all references to that group with equivalent names associated with another group. I got blasted for how bigotted I was. No one said one word about the original article when it came out however... That is the point.

Posts: 736 | From: Maryland | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Damian
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Damian   E-mail Damian   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think you'll find you actually can't say whatever you want. In a lot of countries, it is illegal to slander, lie under oath, incite riots, racially vilify or denigrate George Bush.

Ok, I made the last one up.

--------------------
"I always tell the truth. Even when I lie." - Tony Montana

Posts: 890 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
trollface
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trollface   Author's Homepage   E-mail trollface   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GenYus:
I know there is one for cats that are sleeping/laying on scanners.

Is there? Do you have a link?

And, as an answer to your question - very probably.

--------------------
seriously , everyone on here , just trys to give someone crap about something they do !! , its shitting me to tears.

Posts: 16061 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
frogpond
Jingle Sales

Icon 08 posted      Profile for frogpond   E-mail frogpond   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Damian:
I think you'll find you actually can't say whatever you want. In a lot of countries, it is illegal to slander, lie under oath, incite riots, racially vilify or denigrate George Bush.

Ok, I made the last one up.

Tell it to the Dixie Chicks!

--------------------
So many books, so little time.

Posts: 1192 | From: McDonough, Georgia | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cold DecEmbra Brings The Sleet
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cold DecEmbra Brings The Sleet   E-mail Cold DecEmbra Brings The Sleet   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Off the top of my head it used to be something like catscan.com... I'm not trying it myself in case it's become some kind of pr0n site though...

On the matter of seasonal PC matters, I'm pleased to announce that the December issue of "Compass" for the Wessex region (a mag that I honestly and truly only have to read for work) actually has as one of its headlines: "Political correctness gone mad: why Britain needs to act now". It's a rare gem. Stories of the "real examples of the political correctness we are now experiencing on a very frequent basis" include:

Woman accuses Asda of racism for selling "thick Irish sausages"!

COuncil banned use of terms "pet", "love", "dear" and "duck"!

Fundraiser inviting attendees to a "ploughperson's lunch"!

Children not allowed to celebrate Christmas at school for fear of causing offence!

Punch and Judy shows banned for condoning domestic violence!

Terms "blackboard" and "manhole" and "nitty gritty" banned!

Sometimes there just isn't enough time in the day...

--------------------
I want you to lay down your life, Perkins. We need a futile gesture at this stage. It will raise the whole tone of the war.

Posts: 4495 | From: Surrey, UK | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
senshisteph
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for senshisteph   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
[hijack]

The photocopying thing has now got me wondering. And since I'm not searching for it while at work, is there a website devoted to pictures of breasts on scanners or photocopiers? I know there is one for cats that are sleeping/laying on scanners.

Yes. (NSFW, NFBSK) though it doesn't work for me.

What the hey, I'm on a manga cafe computer - looking at the history list thats probably one of the tamer things thats been searched for here... ewwww.

--------------------
七転び八起き
nana korobi ya oki
'fall down seven times, get up eight.'

Posts: 155 | From: Nagoya, Japan | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
The Pikey Snow Queen
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Pikey Snow Queen   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Terms "blackboard" and "manhole" and "nitty gritty" banned!

I'm probably being quite stupid here, but how is "nitty gritty" in anyway offensive?

--------------------
Brosandi. Hendumst hringi
Hldumst hendur
Allur heimurinn skr
Nema stendur

Posts: 694 | From: York, UK | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
GenYus

quote:
quote:
quote:

Off the top of my head it used to be something like catscan.com... I'm not trying it myself in case it's become some kind of pr0n site though...
It seems to be gone. Both catscan and cat-scan are inactive.

--------------------

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cold DecEmbra Brings The Sleet   E-mail Cold DecEmbra Brings The Sleet   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Aw, catscan was the real life version of Bonsai Kitten, as far as I'm concerned!

Pikey Snow Queen I am surprised at your colonialist-oppressor attitude. "Everyone" knows that nitty gritty refers to the debris left in a slave ship.

--------------------
I want you to lay down your life, Perkins. We need a futile gesture at this stage. It will raise the whole tone of the war.

Posts: 4495 | From: Surrey, UK | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Ah, sanity...

quote:
There's only one problem with the 'PC campaign' against Christmas - it's pure nonsense.

--------------------

ottercreek
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ottercreek   E-mail ottercreek   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Sure, there are limitations to free speech: slander, libel, false advertising, bate and switch, panic incitement, threatening language, perjury, plagiarism, etc etc...but you can, or should be able to, tell someone a legit criticism or concern about a group of people who you in no way are saying are inherently inferior if you feel that way. There is of course a place and time for it and you have to be prepared for countering. I have heard so much blatantly hateful criticism of a group of people I associate myself with in some ways, that when I hear people getting all emotional over what they have to hear, I just shake my head and wonder...
Posts: 736 | From: Maryland | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Archie2K
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Archie2K   Author's Homepage   E-mail Archie2K   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
To follow up the War on Christmas stories, there was this jem from yesterday's The Sun.
quote:
Bakery giant Greggs has also banned decorations at its High Street shops.

One disappointed worker said "It has never been an issue in the past and we always put on a smile on our customers faces with our bright red santa hats"

Which would be lovely if it wasn't complete bollocks. Decorations, tinsel, cotton wool style snow, is banned in Greggs shops because it risks falling apart and into the food. It's a pure hygiene issue rather than because they hate Christmas. And it has been an issue before, it was an issue when I worked there in 2004. Shops were only allowed decorations in areas which do not come into contact with food, eg. a separated staff room. As indeed a spokesperson pointed out in the next paragraph. However, the damage is done now. Major retailer hates Christmas. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Vox populi vox canem

Posts: 1985 | From: Reading, England | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
trollface
The Bills of St. Mary's

Every time I see the title of this thread, I hear "I Don't Know" by The Blues Brothers in my head.

--------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages