snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » Rantidote » Typing != writing (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Typing != writing
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 02 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A few days ago I was reading yet another book authored by someone who obviously confused the task of compiling information with the art of writing and came across the following gem of a sentence: "Whether The Beatles should have been told about the impending sale of their music catalogue and publishing company remains a mute point."

Honestly, if you don't know that the phrase is "moot point," not "mute point," you don't have much business writing anything, certainly not anything you expect people to pay to read.

- snopes

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TwoGuyswithaHat
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwoGuyswithaHat   E-mail TwoGuyswithaHat   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Which book is that? I want to go out of my way to avoid reading it.

Edited to remove a word in the wrong place.

--------------------
In politics, absurdity is not a handicap - Napoleon Bonaparte

Posts: 1801 | From: The Forest City, Ontario | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ryda Wong, EBfCo.
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ryda Wong, EBfCo.   E-mail Ryda Wong, EBfCo.   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by snopes:

Honestly, if you don't know that the phrase is "moot point," not "mute point," you don't have much business writing anything, certainly not anything you expect people to pay to read.

- snopes

Amen. [Big Grin]

Reminds me of a letter I was editing the other day that used the phrase "Dire straights". [fish]

--------------------
So many spankings! It feels so good! But at the same time, I don't care about meeting your family! - I'mNotDedalus:

Posts: 3216 | From: Denver, CO | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ChelleGame
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ChelleGame   E-mail ChelleGame   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
A few days ago I was reading yet another book authored by someone who obviously confused the task of compiling information with the art of writing and came across the following gem of a sentence: "Whether The Beatles should have been told about the impending sale of their music catalogue and publishing company remains a mute point."

- snopes

There's truth in that, however most people have brain farts, and odd gaps in their education. Sometimes I'm amazed at the crazy substitutions my mind makes when I'm writing. I know perfectly well the correct word, but what ends up on the page or screen is, well, different.

This is one of the reasons why it's important to read through your writing, and a solid reason for editors.

(And I'll assume I made some ignorant mistake in this post, because that's karma!)

--------------------
Michelle

Posts: 953 | From: Ely, Minnesota | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
I'm Dreaming of a White Canvas
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for I'm Dreaming of a White Canvas     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I was just thinking about this having seen yet another post (not on snopes) referring to a "doggy dog world". I have even seen a poster laughed at for using the correct phrase.

Changing "puppet on a string" to "puppy" seems to have become the norm, also.

--------------------
"You hold the Prince so I can duct tape his bottom to keep the bugs out." - My Mom

Posts: 193 | From: The Fabulous Finger Lakes, New York | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Damian

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Damian   E-mail Damian   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Perhaps there spell checker is carp and the poof reader was on strike.

--------------------
"I always tell the truth. Even when I lie." - Tony Montana

Posts: 890 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BeachLife
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BeachLife   Author's Homepage   E-mail BeachLife   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've heard people pronounce moot as mute too many times to count. I doubt it was just a simply typo.

--------------------
Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone.
Jack Dragon, On Being a Dragon
Confessions of a Dragon's scribe
Diary of my Heart Surgery

Posts: 12094 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
bthyb
WiFi Christmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bthyb   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Two mistakes were made - the author used the wrong word, ignorantly or by mistake. Then the proof reader(s) failed to catch it.

I hate finding mistakes in books, but I generally assume the editor fell down on the job, as it's difficult to write without mistakes, and the editor's job is at least partially to catch and fix those mistakes.

ETA a comma.

--------------------
If you say you love ice cream, you better be dreaming of an orgy with Ben, Jerry, and one fine-ass chunky monkey.

-- My sister and poet extraordinaire, Joanna Hoffman

Posts: 1475 | From: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 302 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I was just thinking about this having seen yet another post (not on snopes) referring to a "doggy dog world"
Yes, that's another "What the heck did the writer *think* he was saying?" type of malformed phrase I see more and more often, along with descriptions of pretty young women as being the "girl next store" type.

- snopes

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Doug4.7
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 216 posted      Profile for Doug4.7   E-mail Doug4.7   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ChelleGame:
There's truth in that, however most people have brain farts...This is one of the reasons why it's important to read through your writing, and a solid reason for editors.

I know of situations where the AUTHOR name was misspelled in the actual journal article. This is after it has been reviewed by each of the 4 authors, an editor, and the proofreader. I have just turned in a paper that I have been writing. It has been reviewed by the authors (at least three times), 2 independent reviewers, AND the editor. I just now found a sentence that makes no sense whatsoever. One of these, "The data shows that gosf sdfsd is not the fact of spacee in view." (Note, I deleted the actual sentence, so I don't have the exact words). I am wondering how the heck that got past ALL of us. Had I not caught it in the page proofs, it would have gone into the journal.

Sit happens... [Wink]

--------------------
And now for something completely different...

Posts: 4164 | From: Alabama | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NZUL
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NZUL     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Marge "Bart, run like the wind!"
Lisa "Mum, it's wind!"
Marge "Well I'm sorry, I've only seen it written."

Hmm, loses something in text only. [Smile]

I too am amused by butchering of phrases into incomprehensible garbage. Doggy dog world. Mute point. For all intensive purposes. People - take a second to THINK what it is you're saying. Does it make sense? No? Maybe you've got that phrase wrong.

A puppy on a string would be fun to see though. [Smile]

--------------------
"We don't keep a certified whale-vomit expert on staff." - Larry Penny, Director, Natural Resources Department, Town of East Hampton

Posts: 377 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Canuckistan
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 301 posted      Profile for Canuckistan   E-mail Canuckistan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by I'm Dreaming of a White Canvas:

I don't even want to know what "puppy on a string" is supposed to mean.

--------------------
People need to stop appropriating Jesus as their reason for behaving badly. It's so irritating. (Avril)

Posts: 8429 | From: New York run by the Swiss (Toronto) | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 216 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Two mistakes were made - the author used the wrong word, ignorantly or by mistake. Then the proof reader(s) failed to catch it.
I would think so, but I have no confidence that many books published these days are actually reviewed by any editors or proofreaders before going to press. I've seen published works with too many ridiculous, glaring errors that should have been caught by any competent reviewer who had given the manuscript a single read-through.

- snopes

NZUL
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NZUL     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I've seen published works with too many ridiculous, glaring errors that should have been caught by any competent reviewer who had given the manuscript a single read-through.

There's your failing assumption right there.

--------------------
"We don't keep a certified whale-vomit expert on staff." - Larry Penny, Director, Natural Resources Department, Town of East Hampton

Posts: 377 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
violetbon
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for violetbon   E-mail violetbon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Don't forget the ever popular and lovely "I could care less".
Posts: 193 | From: Seymour, Indiana | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Esprise Me

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Esprise Me     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Going through my store's training materials, I've found the following howlers: "six to one, half a dozen to the other, "many incidences of X occurring," "mute point," "for all intensive purposes," "Are you wearing a clean, wrinkle, free uniform?" "pulls his or her own wait," "medicine you have been proscribed," "preform your sidework duties," "we except the American Express card," and, of course, the pluralization of words by adding an apostrophe and an "s."

--------------------
"If God wrote it, the grammar must be infallible. Perhaps it is we who are mistaken." -MapleLeaf

Posts: 977 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Paulie Jay
O Little Down-Payment of Bethlehem

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Paulie Jay     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think the problem is that there is too much of a reliance on spell checkers than actual proof reading.

For example, if I run a spell check over the sentences:

"It was a moot point"
and
"It was a mute point"

I get the same result - no problems, gramatical or otherwise.

But a quick proof-read immediately reveals the mistake.

--------------------
All the way with Paulie Jay

Posts: 476 | From: Sydney, NSW, Australia | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Arriah
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arriah   E-mail Arriah   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Esprise Me:
six to one, half a dozen to the other

What is that one supposed to be? I've always heard this phrase used in a "50/50 chance" sort of way since half a dozen is 6. (unless you mean bakers dozen but "6.5 to one, half a dozen to the other" doesn't have the same ring to it)

--------------------
Conforming meant that everyone liked you except yourself
Rebecca

Posts: 682 | From: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm currently reading a book in which one character explains that she met a man in 1969 and they were involved until his death in 1990. Then she says, "We were together for almost 31 years." [Roll Eyes]

quote:
Originally posted by Arriah:
quote:
Originally posted by Esprise Me:
six to one, half a dozen to the other

What is that one supposed to be? I've always heard this phrase used in a "50/50 chance" sort of way since half a dozen is 6. (unless you mean bakers dozen but "6.5 to one, half a dozen to the other" doesn't have the same ring to it)
It's "six OF one, half a dozen of the other," and it means, essentially, that there is no substantive difference between the things being compared.

Edited for grammar. Oops.

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Eddylizard

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eddylizard     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Six of one, half a dozen of another. Rather than relating to chance it relares to a consideration of two options neither of which has any advantage or dis-advantage over the other.

--------------------
"Ladies and gentlemen, this is what is commonly known as money. It comes in all sizes, colours, and denominations - like people."

Posts: 997 | From: Maidstone, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
There's your failing assumption right there.
My point was that it's possible some "writers" actually have friends or family give their work pre-publication read-throughs, but that's hardly a valid substitute for genuine proofreaders or editors whose job it is to catch and correct errors.

- snopes

Elkhound
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elkhound         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Sometimes it is a case of an overentheusiastic spell-checker.

I'm in a Harry Potter e-mail group, and for a while my spell-checker insisted on wanting to change "Slytherin" to "Lutheran." I caught it most of the time, but a few did slip through.

"Interesting theological commentary," I hear the Calvinists muttering.

--------------------
"The bicycle is the most civilized conveyance known to man. Other forms of transport grow daily more nightmarish. Only the bicycle remains pure in heart."--Iris Murdoch

Posts: 3307 | From: Charleston, WV | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TallGeekyGirl
O Read, O Read, The Manual

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TallGeekyGirl   Author's Homepage   E-mail TallGeekyGirl   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Suppose the author used the right word, but the editor is the one who didn't know the phrase and changed "moot" to "mute"? [fish]

--------------------
See, if I tell you about it, it won't be a mystery. It'll just be a fact, an ugly, moist fact, squatting on your brain like an octopus. And you don't want an octopus squatting on your brain, do you, son? -- Stan Smith, American Dad

Posts: 980 | From: Virginia | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Astra
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 87 posted      Profile for Astra     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
At least it's only a spelling error. I have one paperback that has the plot outlined on the back cover. It introduces the main character as "Danny." However, the book refers to him as "Mike." "Danny" does not exist.

Another book I have makes a minor plot point out of how visitors at a mental institution hand over their wallets because the inmates might use the plastic cards to injure themselves. On the very next page, the main character pulls something out of his just-confiscated wallet.

Whoever edited those two books will not be receiving fanmail from me any time soon.

--------------------
This has been yet another... USELESS POST.

Posts: 6105 | From: Mississippi | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Radical Dory
God Rest Ye Merry Retail Clerks

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Radical Dory   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It's moments like those I wish I had free copies of Eats, Shoots and Leaves in my purse to hand out.

--------------------
"But about the reindeer...what kind of a nose shines? How did he get it? Maybe it's not a reindeer after all. It could be something else."

Posts: 2216 | From: Winston-Salem, NC | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
James D
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for James D   E-mail James D   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Perhaps it was a bad pun. After all, having broken up decades ago the Beatles have been quite mute since then. Not to mention that not being notified meant that they could protest nor comment on the sale, thus being effectively silenced.

James "Panda's cullenary habits" D.

--------------------
The best measure of a man's honesty isn't his income tax return. It's the zero adjust on his bathroom scale.
Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - )

Posts: 244 | From: Ventura, CA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NeeCD
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NeeCD   E-mail NeeCD       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I worked with a woman who said "mute point" all the time, as well as using the word "relative" to mean both relative and relevant. She also thought I was making stuff up when I used the phrase "a fount of useless information." To her it was "font" and a font = Times New Roman or Arial, etc. and there was no other kind. We told her "fount, you know, like fountain?" and she just wouldn't buy it. But at least she isn't an editor.

--------------------
I wondered why the Frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
What does "Bookachow", "YOMANK!" and other lingo mean?

Posts: 1720 | From: Stafford Hamlet, OR | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Zachary Fizz
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zachary Fizz     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I would think so, but I have no confidence that many books published these days are actually reviewed by any editors or proofreaders before going to press. I've seen published works with too many ridiculous, glaring errors that should have been caught by any competent reviewer who had given the manuscript a single read-through.

- snopes

My wife bought me the five-volume hardback set of Aubrey-Maturin novels a few years ago. I am a huge fan of Patrick O'Brian, but had previously only read the British paparback editions.

The hardback edition is very nice, but it is somehow diminished by the universal substitution of HMS Fava for HMS Java.

No doubt the frigate named after the bean was the one defeated in that epic battle with USS Destitution....

Posts: 2370 | From: Arabia | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Richard W

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard W   E-mail Richard W   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by NeeCD:
She also thought I was making stuff up when I used the phrase "a fount of useless information." To her it was "font" and a font = Times New Roman or Arial, etc. and there was no other kind. We told her "fount, you know, like fountain?" and she just wouldn't buy it. But at least she isn't an editor.

I must admit I thought it was "font", in the "Archaic or poetic" sense of "a fountain or well". (Collins).

Funnily enough, definition 2 of "font" in Collins says "NOUN printing another name (esp US and Canadian) for fount2"; then if you look up "fount2" it gives the definition about typefaces...

Posts: 8725 | From: Ipswich - the UK's 9th Best Place to Sleep! | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
remigo
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for remigo   E-mail remigo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
[QUOTE](snip)
"girl next store".

- snopes

I've caught myself writing that. Oh the shame when I saw it on the screen. Thank DYOC for edit buttons. I'd imagine the author was cringing when he saw the "mute point" but, sadly, a print run of books doesn't have an edit button...

--------------------
If you don't cry it isn't love
If you don't cry then you just don't feel it deep enough

Posts: 238 | From: Ireland | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
smackmac
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for smackmac     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Slightly off topic:

When I first heard "Jessie's Girl" by Rick Springfield, I thought he just pronounced mute funny. I had never heard the expression and I was in my early teens.

--------------------
"Maybe getting in the last word doesn't really mean you win." - The Clarks

Posts: 486 | From: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Canuckistan

Icon 102 posted      Profile for Canuckistan   E-mail Canuckistan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by violetbon:

This one I can live with. It conveys a note of sarcasm that "I couldn't care less" doesn't.

When I use it, I do so intentionally, precisely for the sarcasm effect.

--------------------
People need to stop appropriating Jesus as their reason for behaving badly. It's so irritating. (Avril)

Posts: 8429 | From: New York run by the Swiss (Toronto) | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
jessboo
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jessboo     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I just read a book in which a character said 'anchors away'. Isn't it 'aweigh'?

quote:
Originally posted by violetbon:

To me, it makes sense. It's different from 'I couldn't care less", because "couldn't" means you are at your maximum of not caring. 'could' means that you can't even be bothered to try to care less. It's like, I could care less- but it's so unimportant, I just can't be arsed.

--------------------
Join me on Lost - www.lost.eu/edcf

Do you have any wine? All of this would go a lot smoother in an altered state of reality.

Posts: 779 | From: Southampton, England | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
HollowMan
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HollowMan     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Canuckistan:
quote:
Originally posted by I'm Dreaming of a White Canvas:

I don't even want to know what "puppy on a string" is supposed to mean.
I have actually encountered this phrase. It did make sense though, as it was a song lyric talking about a woman walking a dog.

--------------------
Heisenberg may have slept here.

I got an idea... an idea so smart my head would explode if I even began to know what I was talking about.

Posts: 291 | From: Greenville, SC | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
I'mNotDedalus
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for I'mNotDedalus   Author's Homepage   E-mail I'mNotDedalus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Astra:
At least it's only a spelling error. I have one paperback that has the plot outlined on the back cover. It introduces the main character as "Danny." However, the book refers to him as "Mike." "Danny" does not exist.

I see this often, too. I imagine a lowly office in a publishing/printing firm, hired to handle the cover synopsis for less-than-bestsellers, is being desperately overworked.

I used to find Penguin copies of Vico's New Science in all the chains, basking, "...the New Science even inspired the framework for Joyce's Ulysses." Tsk.

--------------------
The salty fragrance of L’Eau D’I’mNotDedalus - made entirely of and entirely for sea turtles.

Posts: 1983 | From: Chicagoland, IL | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages