snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » Rantidote » Letters you wish you could send - December 2006 (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 20 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  18  19  20   
Author Topic: Letters you wish you could send - December 2006
Signora Del Drago
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 97 posted      Profile for Signora Del Drago     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Dear Zorro,

That singsongy baby voice people use can really get on your nerves, can't it? Just think how the baby must feel! [lol] There's no law that says one is required to talk baby-talk to a baby. In fact, it is probably better to talk to them in your ordinary every-day adult voice. So, while you're feeding him, etc., look in his eyes and talk about the weather or whatever else comes to your mind. Throw in an "I love you" once in a while, pat his sweet little cheeks, and cuddle some. That should do it. Also, when the potty-training starts, it is not, repeat not, necessary for you to stand staring at the poo in the potty while clapping your hands and jumping for joy.

None of the above means that you can never exhibit joy, jumping type, or smile or act silly. If these things are spontaneous, and there will be some episodes, fine, but you don't need to force it.

Love,

SDD

PeeEss~Babies love for you to massage between their eyebrows. Gentle massage with your thumb can work wonders to calm a fussy baby or to help one get to sleep. Or to just enjoy for no apparent reason.

--------------------
"This air we're breathing. Oxygen, isn't it?"~I’mNotDedalus, impersonating Vincent D’Onofrio.|"Sometimes trying to communicate can be like walking through a minefield."~wanderwoman
"Give people a break. It's not easy doing a life."~Joshua Halberstam

Posts: 4020 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jocko's Jolly
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jocko's Jolly   E-mail Jocko's Jolly   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zorro:
Christie- it's not just as a baby. I mean, all of the practicalities, like changing him and feeding him, are coming easier to me than I'd thought. But, things like...well, someone asked me if I talked to him or looked at him while I was feeding him, and I thought, "Huh? Why? He doesn't know any different." I didn't know I should smile at him or anything, or read to him. I don't talk to him in that singsongy baby voice people use because I feel like a jackass doing it. Stuff like that.

Do. Not. Use. The. Singsongy. Voice. Or I will come over there and whack you about with a fish. [Big Grin] Seriously, though, I HATE that voice. I mean, it's OK to talk to the baby with a little lilt in your voice, but stop talking wike my wittoh snookums somehow understands you if you mispronounce evwy wittoh word!

I always talked to my kids in a normal voice. I might use silly words (I did give them the following nicknames, after all: Boobaloo, Chubawumba and Stinkerbelle), but tried not to talk down to them. I also tried to make a habit of "conversing" with them when they started baby talking. I know you can't understand what they're trying to say, but I figure they know they're talking, so why not treat it like normal conversation? So when the kids started to babble at me, I would say something like, "Oh, really?" "You don't say!" "Then what happened?" Stuff like that. It got to the point where when they said something, they would repeat themselves if I didn't respond. DD would even touch my face to look at her when she babbled (she still does that when she wants my attention).

I still do it with babies, it's fun and they seem to enjoy it.

The main thing is to figure out what you're comfortable with and what you aren't. I don't know of any kids that are messed up because their moms didn't use that voice or look at them while they ate or anything like that. The ones who are most messed up are the ones who don't know how much their moms loved them. You obviously love Alex and that's going to come through, no matter what you do.

--------------------
Like every good third-in-a-series it contains a whole load of ewoks, ‘Clubber’ Lang, whey-faced Sophia Coppola, Sean Connery as the Pirate Captain’s estranged dad, a crappy CGI alien, and Richard Pryor on a donkey. -- Gideon Defoe

Posts: 2211 | From: Harford County, MD | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Signora Del Drago

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Signora Del Drago     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hey, Jocko, I forgot about carrying on a "real" conversation with a baby. I did that, too! That's good advice because you are paying attention to the little one, and they know it, but you aren't acting like an idiot and feeling silly.

--------------------
"This air we're breathing. Oxygen, isn't it?"~I’mNotDedalus, impersonating Vincent D’Onofrio.|"Sometimes trying to communicate can be like walking through a minefield."~wanderwoman
"Give people a break. It's not easy doing a life."~Joshua Halberstam

Posts: 4020 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Zabia
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zabia   E-mail Zabia   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Signora Del Drago, G.R.I.T.S.:
PeeEss~Babies love for you to massage between their eyebrows. Gentle massage with your thumb can work wonders to calm a fussy baby or to help one get to sleep. Or to just enjoy for no apparent reason.

Heck, not just babies. I love it when someone does that. Usually puts me to sleep in a few minutes.

--------------------
We frettered around like farm animals, looking around for formulas and father figures. -Twilight Zone

Posts: 425 | From: Lynchburg, VA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ms. Kringle
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ms. Kringle     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Barbara:
Dear Mrs. K:

Try a little hot sauce or Tabasco on the strings of Christmas lights the cat looks like it's been eyeing.

Barbara "works to discourage some of them" Mikkelson

Dear Barbara,

Apparently, my cats were Cajun in a prior life. They lick the Tabasco up like it was nothing, and then stand at the fridge BEGGING when I get the bottle out.

I'm thinking the spray bottle will work to keep them away from the tree, period. Or, at least, while one of us is awake. Well, I hope the spray bottle will work, otherwise, I have to resort to throwing things again.

*mutters under her breath about the damn cats*

Ms. K

--------------------
Beware corporate zombies! They will purchase your brain on E-Bay!

Posts: 2310 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mistletoey Chloe
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mistletoey Chloe     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
You could try minty toothpaste. When I had my two kittens, I smeared all the electrical cords with it, and it seemed to discourage chewing.

--------------------
~~Ai am in mai prrrrrraime!~~

Posts: 10111 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ms. Kringle

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ms. Kringle     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Dear Zorro,

Do. Not. Talk. Baby. Talk. To. That. BABY!

Seriously.

My granddad, God rest his soul, gave my mother one piece of parenting advice when I was born. He said, "Don't talk baby talk to that baby. She's a human being, talk to her like one!"

Don't baby talk him, just TALK to him. He already knows the sound of your voice, and it soothes him because that's what he heard in utero. He'll pick up language skills much faster if you talk to him, and don't baby-talk him.

Sorry, I don't mean to jump on you, this is a topic near and dear to me, LOL. Being a mother is a hard skill to learn, some of it is instinctual, and some of it is trial and error.

You and Frank will work out what works best for you all. That's the important part.

Ms. K

--------------------

Posts: 2310 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ms. Kringle

quote:
Originally posted by Flowy Chloe:
You could try minty toothpaste. When I had my two kittens, I smeared all the electrical cords with it, and it seemed to discourage chewing.

Oooh, there's a thought! They seem to not like the smell of toothpaste....I'll try that!

Now, to keep them away from the ornaments, and OUT of the damned tree.....

--------------------

bthyb
WiFi Christmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bthyb   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Another substance cats hate - vinegar - mix with water in spray bottle, and squirt.

There's also a gel you can buy in pet stores, I think it's apple flavored, that works to deter chewing.

--------------------
If you say you love ice cream, you better be dreaming of an orgy with Ben, Jerry, and one fine-ass chunky monkey.

-- My sister and poet extraordinaire, Joanna Hoffman

Posts: 1475 | From: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TurquoiseGirl
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TurquoiseGirl   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Dear Body,

You are not getting a cold. It's that simple. We don't have time to be sick until about March. Get it?

Thanks,
Your owner

--------------------
There are people who drive really nice cars who feel that [those] cars won't be as special if other people drive them too. Where I come from, we call those people "selfish self-satisfied gits." -Chloe

Posts: 6995 | From: New Mexico | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ChickyBee
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ChickyBee   E-mail ChickyBee   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Dear J, R, C & AH,

Guys, I really don't care if you're not planning on buying me a Christmas present. Seriously. I'm not much for the token effort and it's not like I can afford to buy you guys anything that isn't from the Reject Shop. But at least be honest about it. Don't tell me you won't be buying presents for anyone outside the family if you're all going to get gifts for each other. I'm more hurt about the fact that all four of you lied to me.

Dear C,

Please, for the love of all that you hold dear, stop trying to throw M and I together! There is a reason I don't stay in contact with her and try to avoid seeing her. That is because our lvies are completely different and to see a 25 year old woman acting exactly the way she did at 17 makes me want to break things. I'm trying to do this tactfully so nobody gets hurt, but damnit woman, you're testing me.

ChickyBee

--------------------
So many people are hung up on achievements. What did you do today? What are you planning? Sometimes, just getting through the day is an achievement in itself.

Posts: 256 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise   Author's Homepage   E-mail Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ms. Koi:

Do. Not. Talk. Baby. Talk. To. That. BABY!

Seriously.

Good advice for any parent, that! When I was a kid, my sister's best friend was the youngest of four children, and she'd been talked to like that from infancy until heaven knows when. The result: she talked like that herself up to at least age 9. (I'm guessing it went on much longer than that, but we moved away when she was 9 so that's just the latest age I know about for sure.) It was absolutely painful to listen to, and even more painful to hear about how teachers doted on her year after year because of her cute voice. Ew.

--------------------
Another lifetime I'd have fallen in love with you
Swept away by my feelings, ashamed and confused
But just now it's enough to be walking with you
Let the mystery play as it will! -Lui Collins

Posts: 2669 | From: Jouy en Josas, France | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DarkDan
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarkDan   Author's Homepage   E-mail DarkDan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Dear myself,

I am pissed at you for ordering the Trans-Siberian Orchestra Christmas box set and forgetting to change my shipping address from home to school a week ago! You choose one-day shipping too (You have an Amazon Prime account so it didn't cost much, but still). Now you are waiting until your parents come up and bring it in a week. I want some rocking Christmas music now!

Dan

--------------------
Missing snopesters | snopesters Facebook group | SLC Birthdays | What does "Bookachow", "YOMANK!" and other lingo mean?
"Gonna free fall out into nothing, gonna leave this world for a while" --Tom Petty

Posts: 3698 | From: Philadelphia, PA or >Tinton Falls, NJ< | Registered: Oct 1492  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
FrogFeathers
Grandma Got Run Over By a Gift Card

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FrogFeathers   Author's Homepage   E-mail FrogFeathers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Dear Husband,

Bite me. I'm doing laundry, I'm taking care of the dogs, I ran to the store, I got gas for my truck, got cash so you could get gas for yours, and I cooked dinner. You, on the other hand, didn't do the laundry, didn't take the dogs out (not even once), didn't go get gas in the truck and didn't go to the store. And, let me check... who cooked dinner? Oh yeah, me. My feet still hurt from work yesterday and my back is aching.

So, as I said, bite me. I'm not doing the dishes too. You got what you wanted- I'm working. And now you can deal with that.

Jerk-face.

Your loving, but exhausted wife,
~Patty

--------------------
"Is it ME? Am I a MAGNET for these idiots?"~Pearl Forrester MST3K
Die-Hard Engineers, Big Red One my Dad's website
"Must be a 'snopes' thing..." ~my entire family when I try to explain something.

Posts: 4524 | From: South of Madison, Wisconsin | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Radical Dory
God Rest Ye Merry Retail Clerks

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Radical Dory   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Minstrel Nereid:
Dear Research Paper,

Are you sure you can't write yourself? I did all the research part. Can't you meet me halfway and come up with the paper part?

Signed,
Weary Student

Dear Minstrel,

Amen, sister. Amen.

Your Frustrated Fellow Research Paper Writer,
Dory

--------------------
"But about the reindeer...what kind of a nose shines? How did he get it? Maybe it's not a reindeer after all. It could be something else."

Posts: 2216 | From: Winston-Salem, NC | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
lioness
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lioness         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Dear Cats,

I'm going as fast as I can in feeding you, biting me on the ankle isn't going to get your food to you faster.
Sincerely,
Your Staff

Posts: 223 | From: Long Beach, CA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
tribrats

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tribrats   Author's Homepage   E-mail tribrats   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Dear Hubby,

In the nearly 13 years we have been married, when have you EVER known me to buy Dawn dish soap?! Don't bitch to me because the dishes won't come clean. I am not looking forward to the greasy feel it will leave. I may have to just let the kids do the dishes until it is used up because it will irk the hell out of me that I won't be able to get the greasy feel off no matter how much I rinse.

Signed,
Yeah, I am REALLY fussy about my dish soap.

--------------------
Snopes is moving! Here's snopes' announcement.
Come here to re-register!

Posts: 2448 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Evil_eyes
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Evil_eyes   Author's Homepage   E-mail Evil_eyes   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I forgot one the other day..

Dear Nurse at the ER,

Its ok really, I don't have good viens they like to hide,roll and that other term I can't recall at the moment. I understand your excitement over finding a vien that worked, and forgetting to take the tourniquet off resulting in alot of blood going everywhere. Really you didn't have to feel bad it happens, we all have one of those days where something seems to go wrong every time we turned around. I tried to calm you down by saying very nice things, you didn't have to apologise more then once. I knew it wasn't your fault. Hell I did my best to help clean up the blood. You had such a sad look on your face when you left my room. I wish I could have made you feel better about it.

Also its not your fault that I had to get sticked 4 times to find a vien, like I said my viens like to go into hiding, roll or do that other thingy where you find one, stick the needle in only to find out there is nothing there. Anyways I hope I was one of the more pleasant patients there that night.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dear guy that was in the room nect to mine,

Look I understand that your in pain, screaming at the nurses, telling them that you wished they were in as much pain as you were in, was not very nice. They explained to you that a Doctor must come in and speak with you before giving pain meds. Since you did not want the Tylenol, Advil, Aleve,Asprin,Motrin. Or anything over the counter that they could give you before the doctor saw you.
They also explained to you that there were patients that far worse then you that needed to be tended to before the doctor saw you.

I understand pain, ive been in so much pain that i've blackout. I would have taked the max on anything they offered me at that point, regardless if it worked or not. In hopes that it relieved some of the pain. But waiting a few moments for a doctor is not all that bad.

E*E

--------------------
"Taking all the pain I give you
Loving blindly in return
And I need you more than ever"
WWW.Myspace.com/E_E2000

Posts: 1243 | From: Northern VA | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nonny Mouse, on Santa's laptop
Once in Royal Circuit City

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nonny Mouse, on Santa's laptop   Author's Homepage   E-mail Nonny Mouse, on Santa's laptop   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Dear Zorro,

Love your child, take care of your child, and talk to your child. Don't worry about whether or not you're doing those things in the same way someone else might, just do them. If you have any serious concerns about whether you're doing something wrong (and by wrong I mean "in a manner that might be harmful"), by all means seek help and advice from other parents. Otherwise, give yourself a break. It's a challenging job in many ways, but rocket science it's not. Your child won't explode if you speak to him in the 'wrong' tone of voice, nor will he come crashing down out of the sky if the wrong little piggy has roast beef.

Nonny

--------------------
When there isn't anything else worth analyzing, we examine our collective navel. I found thirty-six cents in change in mine the other day. Let no one say that there is no profit in philosophy. -- Silas Sparkhammer

Posts: 10141 | From: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Christie
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Christie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zorro:
Christie- it's not just as a baby. I mean, all of the practicalities, like changing him and feeding him, are coming easier to me than I'd thought. But, things like...well, someone asked me if I talked to him or looked at him while I was feeding him, and I thought, "Huh? Why? He doesn't know any different." I didn't know I should smile at him or anything, or read to him. I don't talk to him in that singsongy baby voice people use because I feel like a jackass doing it. Stuff like that.

Gotcha. My inner librarian is urging you to get thee to the library and get some dealing with your baby books - but I bet you probably already have a few on your bookcase don't you? At any rate, read, read, and then read some more and network with other mothers if you possiby can. And, of course listen to all the wise parents here at snopes who are right where you are now!

I guess being naturally loquacious (doesn't that sound classier than just saying chatty?) talking to my babies was second nature. Gotta fill the silence and all that. But talk is good.

I'm also going to buck the board and say that there is nothing wrong with baby talk when your baby is a baby. It has its place. There are going to be times when you are looking down into that sweet little face and it's going to be all but impossible not to start cooing "Who's mommy's wittle pwecious?" My babies loved it - my 19 year old not so much [Big Grin]

--------------------
If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, it's just possible you haven't grasped the situation. - Jean Kerr

Posts: 18428 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Raven Waift
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raven Waift   Author's Homepage   E-mail Raven Waift   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Dear partner for my class,

Thanks for leaving me high and dry. I don't know anyone else from the group, and I have no one of contacting you other than email. I know I should've gotten your number, but I trusted you.

I should have been wary when you responded to my email without grammar anywhere in sight.

Curse you,
Your frustrated partner

Dear professor,
I emailed you about this, and I hope you email me back. I know it is late, but maybe you will check your email anyways. I don't know what to do, and I don't think it is fair if I do the entire thing myself.

Thanks,
The girl in the back

--------------------
Whereas as you are dancing happily in the fields of ignorance through which the stream of stupidity bubbles and flows. -BlushingBride
My my space.

Posts: 656 | From: Ohio | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Manic Soprano
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Manic Soprano   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Dear people on DL server,

Awww c'mon? No one's going to play with me? Seriously, how else am I going to get an epic level character that can play with everyone else, if no one will play with me now?

Sincerely,
Manic Soprano

--------------------
Tally ho with a bing and a bong and a buzz buzz buzz!

Posts: 234 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Morgaine La Raq Star
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Morgaine La Raq Star   E-mail Morgaine La Raq Star   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Zorro:

You say you feel odd talking to him & you're unsure about reading to him. I'd suggest just talking to him while reading a book. I'd recommend 'Oh my, oh my, oh Dinosaurs' or 'Oh David'. Even ones that just say 'a ball' or 'cat' are fine.

Finally, a story. It may not even be true but I agree with what it says:

A young man had just finished up his Doctoral Dissertation on the benefits of playing 'Peek-A-Boo' with a baby. He found it helps with object permanence, motor skills, depth perception, etc. He was so excited about his findings he told his grandmother who said 'You went to college all these years & did all this research to find out that 'Peek-A-Boo' is good for babies?' (Think of that being said in a 'well DUH!' tone of voice).
My point is that as long as you are being good to your baby & keeping him safe & loving him, the little details like whether he watched 'Baby Einstein' today or you are speaking to him in French on alternating Tuesdays don't really matter. Too many parents are more concerned about whether or not their 2YO can count to 100 & less interested in who their kid is as a person. Quite sad at times actually.

--------------------
I cannot live without books-Thomas Jefferson *~* A child educated only at school is an uneducated child - George Santayana
I'm going to pummel you with such zeal, Buddha will explode! *~* Never miss a good chance to shut up - Will Rogers

Posts: 6585 | From: Dallas/Fort Worth, TX | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
christmas tree kitapper
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for christmas tree kitapper     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TwoGuyswithaHat:
Dear kitapsail fish,

Right on!

Signed,

A fellow Night Auditor

Thanks. [Smile] I do love night auditing, but sometimes guests can drive me up the wall.

--------------------
"I have never in my life been more disappointed by a politician I voted for than I have been with George Bush. He is a total liberal."- overheard by me on the shuttle to the U of A game on Nov. 11th.

Posts: 3878 | From: Tucson, AZ | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Menolly
We Three Blings

Icon 07 posted      Profile for Menolly   E-mail Menolly   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Dear parents:

Thanks. Really. Just when we thought we'd learned all your Let's Make Everyone Truly Suffer At Christmas Tricks(TM), you come up with a new one. Does it ever occur to you to question why your adult children don't come around you hardly at all any more? And why,when we do sporadically show up, we mysteriously end up there at the same time? It's planned, so that NO ONE has to visit you alone. We can't relax around you--everyone's got to be on their guard. I'm so very tired of having to deflect verbal abuse from the two of you, much less listening to what you've done to others. I'm a Christian, NOT a doormat! Gah!

This chess game you keep making everyone play? I quit when I moved to a different city, remember? Stop trying to pull me back in! As an adult, I have the right to not respect *what* you are even though I still respect *who* you are. You make it too easy with stunts like this! I hate what you've done. Both of you are conniving, backstabbing freaks.

Love,
Me
ETA: not a literal chess game, just a game where everyone around them gets sucked into a vortex of gloom ...

--------------------
Let's just pretend we're normal for a minute ~ New favorite T-shirt quote

Posts: 1193 | From: Ohio | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Dear Menolly,

I know what you mean by the chess game. My ex sucks up other people's joy and pleasure in life like a black hole sucks up light.

Lainie

Dear KH,

Last night D confided in me what's been going on with you. I knew it was something bad, but I had no idea how bad. It's like a nightmare to me; I can't imagine what it's like for D, your kids, your mom and dad, your sister, your grandmother.

You're not interested in getting help. The only thing I can do is try to help your family in any way I can.

Oh, yeah, and tell you to stay the hell away from me, my family and my house unless and until you get help. I miss the KH I used to know, but the current one just isn't welcome anywhere near me or mine.

Lainie

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Minstrel gone caroling
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Minstrel gone caroling   Author's Homepage   E-mail Minstrel gone caroling   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Dear Baby Brother,

I'm glad you've found someone you like so much. Really!

But... when did you get old enough to have your first kiss?

Love always and forever,
Your older sister

--------------------
Last year's goat was burned down by vandals dressed up as Santa Claus and the Gingerbread Man. They were never caught.
My blog. The Adventures of the Fish O'Thwacking.
Countdown: 177 days (or less!)

Posts: 4926 | From: NW Ohio | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NewZer0
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NewZer0   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Dear Subconscious,

Why do I keep dreaming about the Holocaust? It's makng it very difficult to convince myself to go to bed.

--Me

Dear Universe,

Just how am I supposed to do this? I just don't know what to do. I do know. I don't know how. I do know.

I don't know.

--Me

Dear Mom,

Sometimes I really hate you.

--Me

Dear ---,

Thanks for a nice chat. At least that's something.

--Me

Dear Sis,

You're a little weird, but thanks for a nice chat, too.

Love, Me

--------------------
I study medieval literature because that's where the money is.

Posts: 1431 | From: Corvallis, OR | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
UrbanReindeer
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for UrbanReindeer     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Dear Frog_Feathers,

I just feel the need to tell you how greatly I admire the strength of your conviction and commitment to your relationship. I hope with all my heart that your husband regains the capactiy to appreciate how lucky he is to have you. I pray that if I'm ever in your situation, that I am able to maintain the strength and dignity you have.

Much love,
Urban.

--------------------
"He feeds the sparrows of the field, but He doesn't sit there and cram worms into their mouths." -- Mouse

Posts: 396 | From: Pasadena, CA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Gibbie

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gibbie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Dear tribrats,
Why don't you return it for the brand you want? Or just chuck it and buy more?

Gibbie

--------------------
If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.

Posts: 3993 | From: Indiana | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DawnStorm

Icon 98 posted      Profile for DawnStorm   E-mail DawnStorm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Dear Bruce:
Do you HAVE to slobber all over my leg after you've been to the water bowl? Lick your lips for the love of pete!

Dear (two legged) bitch at the dog park:
I'm sorry Flanders jumped on you, but you didn't have to snap 'can't you control him?' at me. I was getting some pebbles out of my shoes and I didn't see her until it was too late. My mistake. Still you didn't have to be so nasty.

--------------------
Leashes?! We don't need no stinking leashes!!

Posts: 4771 | From: The Berkeley of the East Coast: Montgomery County MD | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Roadie
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roadie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Dear T -

Yes, I know there is a difference between "can't" and "won't". But no matter, it ain't gonna happen, regardless of the word. That's it, I'll just switch to "ain't" and take the semantics right out of the equation. Perf.

Like,

Roadie

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rod & Stuart (ha!) -

Thanks guys. I needed the advice, and you were there for me. You were very honest, didn't cut anybody any slack - including me, and you were dead on right. See you soon, guys.

Love,

Roadie

--------------------
"The little local company I buy from has CHEAP shipping and I have met their goats." (snapdragonfly)

"And that's one lost erection I'll never get back! You hear me Dan! I'm owed an erection!" (I'mNotDedalus)

Posts: 2658 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
FrogFeathers
Grandma Got Run Over By a Gift Card

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FrogFeathers   Author's Homepage   E-mail FrogFeathers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Dear UrbanRenewal,

Thanks. [Smile] Some days are good, some are bad. I cling to the good ones. On those good days, I can still see the guy I married 20 years ago.

~FF

Dear City-employed Snowplow drivers,

Wow, you guys deserve medals, or more money. I cannot believe the crap you all put up with! If I hadn't witnessed it myself, I wouldn't have believed it. If I'd been driving that big-ass truck with that monster blade on it, I would have purposefully dropped it on that jerk in the car.

~Lady in the red truck who waited for you instead of trying to cut you off.

--------------------
"Is it ME? Am I a MAGNET for these idiots?"~Pearl Forrester MST3K
Die-Hard Engineers, Big Red One my Dad's website
"Must be a 'snopes' thing..." ~my entire family when I try to explain something.

Posts: 4524 | From: South of Madison, Wisconsin | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ThistleSoftware
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ThistleSoftware     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Dear Boyfriend,
Try harder and I'll try harder too.
Love,
ThistleS

--------------------
Officially Heartless

Posts: 3065 | From: The Montgomery County of the West Coast- Berkeley, CA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ana Ng

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ana Ng   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Dear TV and Movie producers:

Dirty Dancing was a fluke. It's never gonna work again. Please stop trying! It sucked the first time!

--------------------
My great grandfather planted that tree!

Posts: 4862 | From: Brooklyn | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 20 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  18  19  20   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages